~2~

By Your Side

“Hey! Sinb!”

Sinb turned her head and saw a familiar brunette running towards her,

“HEY MY MAN!” She called as she ran towards Yerin and gave her a tight embrace.

“I still can’t believe that we are going to the same school!” Yerin said as a smile broke across her enthusiastic face.

“Are you implying that I’m too dumb to make the same school as you?” Sinb said as she comically raised her eyebrow.

Yerin looked up and let out a long, facetious “Maybe,”

Sinb punched her friend playfully on the biceps.

“Come on, let’s go buy some train tickets, apparently this school is somewhere is Samcheok, which is about 3 hours away at least.” Sinb said as she checked her watch on her wrist.

“What’s the hurry?” Yerin said as they walked up the purchase area.

“Well… I’m really excited!” Sinb exclaimed as she paid for her ticket. “I never would have thought that I would even get into a college.”

Yerin looked at her, “Don’t say-”

“Come on, we all know that my grades aren't the best.” Sinb gave Yerin her train ticket. “Even if I could dance, what is it to colleges when I can’t solve simple questions?”

“Hey, you at science and math but you are good with history and reading,” Yerin said trying to bring up the mood.

“Here in Korea, history and reading doesn’t matter as much as science and math.” Sinb sighed as sat down. “Now-a-days it’s just engineers and doctors that make it far.”  

“COME ON SINB!” Yerin yelled as she slapped Sinb’s thigh. “You got into a college! Don’t dwell on what you thought should’ve happened! Just live your life to the fullest without any regrets!”

Sinb looked up and smiled at her friend, “That’s true! I GOT INTO A COLLEGE!”

“YEAH!” Yerin yelled in response.

Sinb smiled again, “Thank you Yerin,” she laughed. “I was kind of being a buzz-kill. Let’s do our best at the AAU.”

Yerin nodded, “Of course.”

“Everyone boarding for Samcheok please wait behind the yellow line; the train will arrive in less than five minutes.”

“That’s our stop!” Sinb jumped up from the bench, “I’m shaking with excitement!” She lifted her hand to emphasize her point

Yerin laughed as she patted the younger girl on the back, “Come on. Let’s go.”

 

“Wait… a… second!” Sinb said as she abruptly turned her head towards Yerin, “You’re a whole grade older than me!”

“Yeah.” Yerin grimaced.

“And, we are going to college… together… the same year…” Sinb said each word slower and slower, although she didn’t want to question it, she was still curious.

“None of the schools sent a letter stating whether I made it in or not.” Yerin sighed as she put her head on her hand.

“Oh…” Sinb turned awkwardly as she did not want to press on further. Finally after a while of silence Sinb finally opened and said,

“I wonder if I’m going to find a lover at the school.” Sinb finally said after an hour of silence and sleep.

Yerin laughed, “You know it’s a school for girls,”

“Yeah, so?” Sinb shrugged, “It’d be unfair to let the guys experience something as great as me. Also it's not like the school is isolated or something.”      

“They aren’t missing much.” Yerin said as she took out her water bottle and took a sip. Sinb kicked her softly in the shin, which resulted in Yerin slightly hitting back. In less than a second it turned into a death battle between legs.

“Hey, What about you? Aren't you hoping to get a lover anytime soon?” Sinb finally asked.

“I’m already one step ahead of you!” Yerin said smugly, “I already have a girlfriend.”

“Holy ! No way! You've never told me!!” Sinb said as she leaned in closer due to her curiosity. “Show me a picture!”

Yerin dramatically took out her phone and the phone screen, which revealed a young, beautiful girl.

“Damn Yerin,” Sinb said as she leaned in closer to observe the picture. “Are you sure this ain’t a joke?”

“Nope!” Yerin said as she handed the curious girl her phone, “That girl is mine and mine only.”

“Holy , Yerin!” Sinb said as she got a closer look at Yerin’s lover. “How did you get a babe like her as your girlfriend?”

“We were friends since childhood,” Yerin said as she took her phone back. “One day during the end of our third year in middle school I told her how I felt and she told me she felt the same.”

“Damn, that sounds like something that would come out of a fan fiction,” Sinb said.

“Her voice is so angelic,” Yerin said as she looked up, “She looks and sounds like something that came out of heaven.”

“That’s so cheesy!” Sinb cringed. “What is her name?”

“Her name is Jung Eunbi; she has the same name as you,” Yerin said as she turned to look at Sinb. “And lucky for you, you get to meet this angel. She transferring into the AAU this year.”

“Nice,” Sinb said. “Damn, now I’m feeling really single. Just watch! I’ll get a lover soon!”

Yerin laughed, “Let’s see!”

“Just watch! If I do, then you... need to get a matching tattoo with me.” Sinb said as she put out her pinky to make a promise.

Yerin laughed, “But my girlfriend.”

“Ok and it's not like I'm asking for a portrait of my face!” Sinb said as she stuck out her bottom lip.

“Ok fine, but why a tattoo? That's permanent” Yerin asked.

Sinb smiled as if she were waiting for that question, “Well, when I get a lover, I don’t want to forget about my best friend. So whenever I see that tattoo I’ll be reminded that you are as important as my lover will be.”

“Damn, that’s kinda, really cheesy,” Yerin said as she curled her fingers. “What fanfic did you get that line from?”

Sinb punched her shoulder, “It’s my own words.”

Yerin laughed as she rolled her eyes in a playful way, “Fine.” Yerin said as she intertwined her pinky with Sinb’s to signify that the promise had been made.

Sinb smiled as she looked up at Yerin, “Just watch.”

“10 minutes until arrival at Samcheok.” A voice through the intercom announced.

“Wow. Time flies…” Sinb said as she started to get all of her things ready.

“Yeah,” Yerin said as she checked her phone clock to see if three hours have passed. “Dang, It really has been a few hours! It felt like only about 30 minutes!”

“I know!” Sinb said as she finished taking a quick inventory of her bags. “Yerin, you should make sure you have everything. We’re gonna be there soon.”

Yerin nodded. She counted her bags and made sure that all of her luggage was there. She then smiled, two weeks before the semester starts and yet her and Sinb were pretty much already at the school.

“I wonder if anyone else is going to be there,” Yerin said as the doors opened.

The two girls rolled out their luggage and waited outside of the train station for a bus that would take them to the school.

“Probably,” Sinb said, “Apparently there is a questionnaire that we have to answer to when we first get there.”

“Really?” Yerin said as they boarded the bus. “Do colleges do that?”

Sinb shrugged, “Don’t ask me. My parents didn’t tell me anything.”

The two girls kept talking, talking about family, catching up with each other; they pretty much talked about everything. Only soon did they realize that the bus was empty.

“Where are you two headed?” The bus driver asked.

“Oh we're going to our university,” Yerin replied.

“Which school?” The driver asked.

Yerin looked at Sinb with a weird look on her face, it was strange for a driver to ask about personal information.

“By any chance, are you two going to the AAU?” The driver finally said, breaking the silence.

“Yes… how did you know?” Sinb said while grabbing on to Yerin’s hand.

“Alright good. You guys boarded the right bus,” The bus driver said as he took a right. “Sometimes students don’t look at the email.”

Yerin leaned in closer to Sinb and whispered, “What email?”

“Don’t worry, I checked it.” Sinb said as she took out her phone to show her email. “And thank god I did, because apparently you didn’t.”

Yerin weakly laughed in return.

“The AAU doesn’t choose just regular people. The people who get chosen are special.” The driver said as he came to a stop. “We’re here. Enjoy studying at the AAU.”

They thanked him and got their stuff. They looked up at the campus building,

“Oh. My. God!” Sinb exclaimed. “The campus is beautiful!”

Yerin’s jaw dropped. The school was huge, the building was beautiful and the campus went on for acres and acres.

“This campus is more beautiful than any other college I’ve seen.” Yerin said.

“Damn. Now aren’t you happy that you didn’t get accepted into any other school.” Sinb teased.

“Shut up,” Yerin laughed as she shoved Sinb. “I’m still pretty disappointed about that. I also need to see if my classes transfer over for credit,”

“Come on,” Sinb grabbed Yerin’s arm. “Let’s go! I’m curious to see what is inside.”

 

As they approached the front door they saw that a young lady was standing there as if waiting for people. Her face brightened as she saw Yerin and Sinb.

“Are you two new students?” She asked as she smiled brightly.

This girl was beautiful. She was tall so the two girls were forced to look slightly upwards to meet her eyes. Her hair was a nice shade of brown. Although she looked very young she gave off an aura, which made the two girls want to respect her.

“Yes. This is our first year here.” Yerin said as she slightly bowed.

“There is no need or formalities,” The tall girl said. “I’m also a student here, I’m just here to girls to their place of need.”

“You’re a student here?” Sinb said. Yerin turned to look at her face and saw that Sinb’s expression showed that she was flabbergasted.

“I get that a lot, but yes I am.” The girl smiled. “I’m Kim Sowon, I’m a third year.”

“Wow,” Yerin said subconsciously.

Sowon nodded, “Now shall we go in? There are a lot you two need to do for orientation.”

           

The inside was just as breathtaking as the outside. The style of the inside was a mixture of both modern and traditional. Sinb pointed at everything she thought was cool, which made Yerin laugh at the fact that she had never seen Sinb act this childish. Sowon had told them to leave their luggage with a group of girls so they didn’t need to think about it, as it would be at their dorms.

“The two of you please stay in here and wait to be called.” Sowon said as they stopped by a large set of doors.

“Yes. Thank you.” Yerin said as she and Sinb bowed in gratitude.

“My pleasure,” Sowon said as she smiled and turned. “I hope to see you two again when the semester starts.”

The two entered the room and waited as they saw a few other girls in the room being called in and others exiting the room. After a while of waiting, someone beckoned to Sinb. Sinb got up and Yerin gave her a pat on the back to calm her senses. Sinb smiled at Yerin and Yerin gave her a small “thumbs up” before she went in the room.

           

When Sinb entered the room she saw a lady with a piece of paper sitting at a table.

“Please take your seat.” The woman said as she pointed to the seat across from her.

Sinb took a deep breath and sat down.

“State your name.”

“Hwang Eunbi, but I preferred to be called Sinb,” Sinb said as she looked down at her thumbs, the atmosphere was so intense.

The lady wrote on her piece of paper then moved on to the next question, “What musical art do you prefer?”

“I’m a dancer. I also sing but dancing is my forte.” Sinb replied.

The questions kept coming, generic questions about dancing and music. Then the last couple questions caught her off guard.

“What in your life do you value most?” The lady asked as she was writing.

“Isn’t that kind of personal?” Sinb asked.

“Yes, but it's something the school would like to know so we can make your experience here the best possible so please be honest.”

Sinb paused, “I actually don’t know… love maybe? Love within a community. Love from friends, family; stuff like that.”

“Last question before you sign up for classes,” The lady said. “What is one of your goals for the next few years?”

Sinb smiled as she remembered what she said to Yerin, “Don’t laugh, but one of my goals is to find a lover.” She smiled. “I made a bet with a friend.”

This response resulted in the lady giving her a weird look, usually people would say something like "a successful year of good grades" or "self-improvement" so this response was a new one. The lady shook her head as she slightly laughed. “Ok, Now let’s choose your classes.”

 

Yerin sat in the room; the others were all starting to leave.

“Guess who’s back!” A voice yelled.

Yerin perked up and smiled, “Sinb! How did it go?”

“Pretty good!” Sinb said as she walked up to Yerin.

“Next.” A young woman said as she gestured towards Yerin.

“Wait for me!” Yerin said as she turned to Sinb. Yerin Stood up and walked into the room. The young lady sat down and picked up a clipboard and told Yerin to sit down.

“Alright, so I’m going to be asking you quite a few questions. Please answer them as honestly as possible.” She said as she clicked the end of her pen.

“First question is very simple, what is your name? Preferred name?” She said as she looked up from her paper.

“My name is Jung Yerin, and you can just call me Yerin.” Yerin said.

The young lady nodded, “What musical talents do you have?” The girl kept clicking her pen.

Is she nervous? Yerin thought. There should be no reason for her to be nervous. If anything I should be more nervous.

“I'd like to major in dancing but I also enjoy singing,” Yerin said cheerfully as she tried to lighten up the mood. She didn’t like the tense atmosphere.

The questions kept coming and the atmosphere only got worse. This girl looked about the same age as Yerin, so Yerin assumed that she was a volunteer to help with orientation rather than an actual advisor. Finally, Yerin decided to say something,

“Calm down. It’s ok.” Yerin said as she didn’t know what else to say. “I’m not gonna hurt you.”

“Yes, sorry,” The girl took a deep breath. “These last couple questions are going to be a little personal but please answer the best you can.”

Yerin nodded.

“What in life do you value most?” The lady asked while looking dead straight into Yerin’s eyes.

Yerin put her hand on her chin, “Well, for me, it’s music. I love making and hearing music, you can call me a nerd. I love listening to instruments and singing. Especially my lover’s voice.”

The girl looked at her in a way that looked like sympathy? Confusion? Yerin slightly shook her head. Maybe it was just the girl being nervous again.

“Last question, what is your goal for the next few years?” The girl said as she bit her nail.

“My goal for the next few years is to live my life to the fullest.” Yerin said with a smile.

“Alright,” The girl said as she looked over her clipboard. “Time to pick your classes.”

 

Yerin walked out of the room and was welcomed by a sleeping Sinb. Yerin walked over to Sinb and blew on her face. Sinb’s face twitched and she slowly opened her eyes.

“Oh,” She said as she yawned. “Hi, Yerin.”

“Come on, Let’s go see where all of our classes are, I think a tour would be nice” Yerin said as she patted the brunette’s head. "Plus we have a lot of time to kill."

“Sounds like a plan.”

 

The two walked around the whole campus, getting sidetracked as they awed at the buildings.

“Yerin! Look! It’s so pretty!” Sinb said as she grabbed the sleeve of Yerin’s jacket and pointed towards a flowerbed. Yerin mused at the fact that the usually cold Hwang Sinb was being all innocent and cutesy towards a beautiful garden.

Soon the sky started to turn a beautiful mixture of orange, red, yellow, and a slight white from the clouds.

“It’s already so late.” Yerin said. “We should head back to our dorm rooms. Where are you?”

Sinb showed her a piece of paper, “I’m in the SOMU house.”

“Really!” Yerin said in excitement, “So am I!”

They gave each other a loud hi-five as they started to walk towards their designated dorm. They looked at their maps and smiled at each other and knew what to do next. They got in a running stance and looked at each other one last time before they kicked off their back foot and ran at full speed. As dancers, they loved to be active and loved to be competitive. The warm summer air rushed into their faces as they started to gain more speed and momentum. Yerin smiled as she felt a slight feeling of adrenaline, she turned to look at Sinb’s expression and sure enough, Sinb also had a stupid smile spread across her face. As they neared the building Yerin began to slow down. Taking advantage of this, Sinb uses the last of her energy to sprint at full speed. Sinb then stopped, as she was inches away from the door.

“I beat you!” She teased as she stuck out her tongue.

“Yeah, yeah.” Yerin said as she tried to catch her breath.

Sinb had phenomenal stamina, how the girl was barely sweating was beyond her. Yerin quickly caught her breath as she was used to it so her body quickly adapted to being quick with recovering.

Yerin looked up at the building. It wasn’t small nor big, it was perfect for about 10 people. It was three stories and was about equally wide as it was tall. It looked very modern and fairly new.

“Come on, let’s go in.” Yerin said, “Aren’t you on the second floor?”

“Yeah, sadly we aren’t next to each other nor are we roommates…” Sinb slightly pouted. “But at least we are in the same building.”

“Yeah…” Yerin said with a hint of disappointment. “But at least we can make new friends.”

The two walked in and looked around, the first floor consisted of a kitchen and a living space. Both were relatively large and very clean looking. Honestly this place looked like a sorority house but on steroids--it was not your normal dorm house. They looked and saw that their bags and luggage has safely made it to the correct place. They took their bags and continued to look around in astonishment.

“Woah,” Sinb said in amazement.

“Indeed,” Yerin said.

They then entered the elevator, which was at the back of the place.

“This school is cooler than I have ever imagined it to be.” Sinb finally said. “I kinda expected some sort of old, run down, traditional music academy.”

Yerin nodded in agreement. Then the doors to the elevator opened, which indicated that they have reached the second floor.

“Bye Yerin!” Sinb said as she rolled out all of her bags and stepped out of the elevator. “I’ll see you tomorrow!”

Yerin nodded and Sinb waved until the doors closed. Yerin smiled, she couldn’t believe that she was at a college. She couldn’t believe that she was at college with her best friend and-

Eunbi. I wonder which dorm house she is in.

Yerin sighed; she wanted to see Eunbi soon. The elevator doors opened and Yerin stepped off. She looked down the hall and saw that there were two doors which meant that each floor probably only had two rooms. Yerin used her key and opened the door and smiled wide,

“Eunbi!” Yerin yelled as she saw her girlfriend sitting on the bed.

A flash of quick emotion came over Eunbi’s face as she saw Yerin. Yerin stopped in her tracks. Did she scare Eunbi?

“Sorry,” Yerin said as she lowered her head. “I must’ve scared you by yelling like that.”

Eunbi shook her head as she laughed, “Sorry, I wasn’t expecting you to yell like that.”

Yerin smiled to hear Eunbi’s voice in person, her laugh sounded ten times cuter and brighter than on the phone. Her voice was as angelic as always.

“Sorry,” Yerin said as she laughed. “But wow, how lucky we are to have gotten the same room! The gods must favor me.”

“Yeah,” Eunbi said as she got up and walked over to Yerin, “Come in, why are you standing in the door frame?”

Eunbi grabbed a couple of Yerin’s bags and quickly kissed her under her chin, as she was too short to reach for anywhere higher. Yerin smiled as she found Eunbi’s little action to be adorable. Yerin grabbed the rest of her bags and brought them in, now she was really happy about accepting to go to this school.

 


Hey guys! What's up? 

This is literally the longest chapter I have ever written and it makes me happy.

Hope you enjoyed his update ^^ and have a merry Christmas!