~14~

By Your Side

“Hey Yuju!” Eunha called as she saw Yuju walking towards the next building over. “Walk with me!”

“Hey, Eunha!” Yuju said as she looked down at the smaller girl. “Sorry, I thought you went ahead so I started walking.”

“Oh no, it’s ok,” Eunha said. “I went to the bathroom while waiting for you to finish whatever the teacher asked you to do. How would you know if I left or not, so I don’t blame you.”

“Knowing you though, you’d never leave without me,” Yuju said. “I’m sorry for thinking you would leave me.”

“Don’t be!” Eunha said. “Jeez, sometimes you can be too nice for your own good.”

“I’m so-“

“Don’t always apologize,” Eunha laughed. “You didn’t even do anything wrong.”

Yuju paused. She had to keep herself from apologizing. “Ok,”

“There you go,” Eunha said. “Now we should hurry, or we’ll be late.”

“Not that it matters,” Yuju said. “The teacher likes us to the point where she’d pass us even if we aren’t there.”

“Eunbi,”

Eunha turned forward and saw Yerin, looking quite pissed.

“Yerin? What’s wrong?” Eunha said. “Why are you here?”

“Do you have time?” Yerin said. “Can I talk to you?”

“Yerin I’m sorry,” Eunha said. “I have class.”

“No, it’s fine, I understand,” Yerin said. “Sorry, it’s just about Sinb. It can wait though.”

Eunha looked at Yerin’s miffed. Yerin was never mad.

“Ok, I’ll be your mental punching bag,” Eunha said. “Let’s go to the café down the street and talk there.”

Eunha grabbed Yerin’s hand and walked with her.

Yuju watched as the couple disappeared.

“Oh, the irony,”

 

“What’s the matter?” Eunha asked as they sat down at their school café.

“Remember like a couple days ago how I was talking about how I was stressed out about something?” Yerin said as she sat down with two coffees. She handed one to Eunha.

“Give me a little more detail of when,” Eunha said as she tried to remember. “You’re always stressed.”

“True, but like this was the time when we had se-“

“Oh, yes I remember now,” Eunha cut Yerin off as she replied quite hastily. “So what happened? You never exactly told me why you were stressed.”

“Ok, so I kind of lied to you when I told you I was stressed and hung-over,” Yerin’s tone turned apologetic for a quick second before it took a 180 turn and became aggressive. “I was actually mad at the fact that Sinb is a .”

“Woah, calm down a little, isn’t that word a little strong,” Eunha said. “What happened?”

Yerin ignored Eunha’s first interjection. “The night we had the party, I heard Umij and Sowon talking to each other. I overheard Sowon saying that Sinb was playing with Umji’s feelings by confessing and everything, even though clearly Sinb doesn’t like Umji that way.”

“Ok, but what if you heard wrong? You were really drunk.” Eunha said. “Also, it’s been two months since the party. Why bring it up now?”

“I was hoping I was drunk and heard it wrong. Soon, I couldn’t just sit around with this idea in my head. So I went to confront Sinb to see if I was wrong, and based on my mood, you could see that it’s not a misunderstanding.”

“What did she say?” Eunha said.

“She was all like, ‘Why do you care?’, ‘It’s nothing,’,” Yerin huffed. “Like, her attitude gets me sometimes! I can’t anymore!”

“Come on, Yerin,” Eunha said. “I know it can be frustrating, but you know that Sinb can’t convey her words the way she wants to. Maybe she just can’t tell you a crucial detail? What if Sowon is wrong?”

“Well, based off of Sinb’s reaction, Sowon seems pretty right. And not being able to convey your message correctly isn’t always going to be a liable excuse. Unless she tells me exactly what’s going on, I won’t forgive her for doing this to Umji.”

“What if this is all a misunderstanding?” Eunha asked.

“Sinb doesn’t seem to be trying to correct my thinking,” Yerin huffed. “So unless she comes and clears everything up, or apologizes, I’m not going to forgive her.”

“Isn’t that a little petty?” Eunha said in an attempt to make Yerin forgive Sinb.

“I don’t care, what she was doing is worse than being petty,” Yerin said to justify herself.

Yerin got up without taking her coffee. “I’m going to class, I’ll see you later.”

Eunha watched as Yerin walked away. She put her head down in her hands. How much time was left? No one could tell. Having this kind of drama is not good for anyone, especially for Yerin and Sinb. Eunha had to make them make up… but how? How long does she have?

 

 

Sinb lay on her bed. She blankly stared at the ceiling. Umji walked out of the bathroom with damp hair.

“Sinb, shouldn’t you be getting ready to get to class? We have to leave in about 30 minutes.” Umji said.

“I’m not going,” Sinb said.

“Why not?” Umji said.

“I just realized that my body won’t actually move,” Sinb said. “Such a strange predicament.”

“That’s called laziness.” Umji sighed.

“I guess. I don’t want to go to class though.” Sinb said.

“I understand. Want to talk about it?” Umji asked.

“Not really,” Sinb said.

“You’ll die of laziness if you don’t let it out,” Umji said.

“Death awaits,” Sinb replied.

“Is it something to do with Yerin?” Umji guessed.

“I’m not going to say if you’re right or not,” Sinb said.

“Guess I’m right,” Umji concluded.

“We just into an argument. Nothing big, just a bunch of annoyance.” Sinb replied.

“I feel like that’s not it,” Umji said. “If it was, then the Sinb that we all know would go to class and be petty as heck.”

“That’s kind of rude,” Sinb said.

“You know it’s true,” Umji replied.

“Can’t disagree with you,” Sinb laughed.

“So would you care to tell me what happened?” Umji pressed on.

“Pretty much, she just found out something about me and then got mad at me, and I couldn’t defend myself so now she’s more pissed. I want to apologize, but right now it isn’t the right time.” Sinb said.

“Why not?” Umji asked.

“I need a reason to be forgiven. I did something bad, and I can’t ask for forgiveness now. I’ll apologize when I feel worthy enough to.” Sinb said.

Was the person who overheard Umji and Sowon Yerin? Umji felt a twang of guilt. If they were more careful, then Sinb and Yerin could still have their friendship intact. Plus, this drama was the thing that Umji was trying to avoid. This just makes it a lot harder. Umji began to lightly bite her thumb.

The lack of reply slightly scared Sinb.

“You ok?” Sinb asked.

“Sorry,” Umji said.

“You don’t have to be sorry for not replying.” Sinb laughed.

Umji only smiled in return. It was a smile that said, “I’m sorry for many things.”

“I’m going to class then. I’ll be back as soon as I can, so don’t get into trouble.” Umji said.

“Can’t make any promises,” Sinb replied.

 

 

“So Eunha left me to go talk with Yerin…” Yuju said. “So that is why I ditched class.”

“You didn’t go, because you would’ve been lonely?” Sowon said.

“Yes,” Yuju nodded. “I’m very awkward and I don’t really like talking to people that I’m not close with.”

“You’re so lucky you don’t have to pay for classes…” Sowon sighed.

“I feel bad though,” Yuju said. “I’m wasting this school’s money by ditching class.”

“Sometimes you’re just too good,” Sowon said. “Who cares, the president of this school… anyways. Waste her money.”

“That’s not nice,” Yuju said. “What do you have against the president?”

“Reasons unnamed,” Sowon said.

“Anyways, I saw that you talked with Yerin this morning.” Yuju changed the subject. “What did you say to her?”

“You know… I just told her to…” Sowon hesitated. “Not skip class too often…”

“Oh, such a mom,” Yuju said.

“What did you say?” Sowon asked.

“Nothing…” Yuju replied. “So do you think she’ll listen?”

“Hey, I still want to know what you said.” Sowon pried.

“Not relevant,” Yuju said.

Sowon sighed. “Well, I don’t think she was listening. She kind of just asked me, after I reprimanded her, where Sinb was.”

“She definitely wasn’t listening,” Yuju said.

“Yep, so now I expect you to listen to me when I tell you not to skip classes,” Sowon said.

“But you just told me to waste my scholarship money,” Yuju said a little confused.

“Well… I just out spoke. Don’t skip classes. You’re too good to have absences on your record.” Sowon said.

“Ok, whatever you say,” Yuju shrugged.

 

 

“This isn’t good,” Umji said as she bit her thumb.

“They shouldn’t be fighting over this, I mean, aren’t you and Sinb on good terms now? Yerin is just being really sensitive.” Eunha said.

“Isn’t love like really important to her? I don’t blame her for being mad, I mean Sinb doesn’t want to confront her until she thinks she really has changed.” Umji sighed.

“Why do these two have to be so dramatic!” Eunha ruffled her hair in irritation. “Their friendship means too much for them to be petty like this. Plus… It’s not good to have these feeling… especially now.”

Umji was silent as she continued to bite her thumb in anxiety. “I’m sorry, this is all my fault. If I wasn’t just trying to get with her… If I wasn’t being so fake to please her, this wouldn’t have happened.”

“No, it’s not your fault!” Eunha shook her head. “Don’t feel like that.”

“Because of me…” Umji’s eyes filled with panic as she clenched down on the pad of her thumb.

“Don’t worry! You and Sinb are friends now, right? After Sinb feels like she’s redeemed herself, she’ll explain everything to Yerin in now time!”

“You think?” Umji asked.

“Yes, I’ve known Yerin and heard a bunch of stories about Sinb, I know that they will make up sooner or later,” Eunha reassured.

Umji let herself smile a little bit, “Yeah, you’re right, thanks.”

 

 

“Hey, Umji!” Sinb called as Umji entered the room. “I just started this drama! Watch it with me!”

“What is it about?” Umji asked.

“I don’t know, it’s a Thai drama, but it got some good ratings,” Sinb said.

“What episode are you on?” Umji asked as she set down her stuff.

“I’m starting season 2.”

“That’s not starting! You’re like pretty far.” Umji said as she plopped down next to Sinb.

“Well, I’m starting the drama’s second season,” Sinb said.

“Then you should’ve said that.” Umji couldn’t help but smile at Sinb’s replies.

“Potato, potato.” Sinb waved it off.

“I don’t see the correlation,” Umji said.

“Are you going to watch with me or not?” Sinb asked.

“Fine, only because the girl on the episode cover is pretty,” Umji said.

The drama was about various couples in high school struggling with many problems. One that the two took an interest was the lesbian couple (to Umji’s delight—and maybe Sinb’s—contained the pretty girl). The two girls started off as friends and as time passed, their relationship grew closer. Of course, it wouldn’t be a drama without angst. The two girls stop their relationship as one feels like they are being toyed with and the other because they fear the future.

Umji looked over at Sinb, who was skipping the episode to find parts where their favorite couples were on. Maybe, if they started out as friends, they could’ve been happier from the beginning. For some reason, their story was the inverse of the drama couple—starting with drama and continuing with friendship. Following this, would they be able to become a couple?

Umji looked back at the screen, the two girls still were apart. One was mourning and the other was trying to move on. Who was who? Was Umji the one mourning and Sinb is the one who is trying to move on? Or was it the other way around. Or maybe, they have yet to hit this point. How will their story unveil?

Hours passed and Umji continued to watch as the two girls found their happy ending. That’s where things differed. Everything else is chance and fate, but Umji knew that it doesn’t matter what route they went down. It didn’t matter what order their drama is going through. It all didn’t matter. Because Umji knew, that everything would lead to a sad ending.

“Hey, you ok?” Sinb asked. “Did you not like the drama?”

“No, it’s not that,” Umji said. “I just… kind of got stressed out.”

“They ended up together…?” Sinb said.

“No, it’s not that either,” Umji said. “I’m fine,”

“You sure?” Sinb asked.

“Yes,” Umji replied. “Now, don’t you think that tall girl was attractive?”

“I’m more attractive,” Sinb said.

“Did I ask?” Umji replied quite sassily.

“No, but I felt like I needed to add that,” Sinb said.

“Why? Jealous?” Umji asked.

“Maybe,” Sinb muttered.

“Please repeat that. I didn’t hear you,” Umji leaned in closer.

“No, I’m not! I just wanted to state a fact!” Sinb said.

“Hm, I don’t know,” Umji joked. “I think I’m leaning more towards this actress.”

“You want to fight?” Sinb looked at Umji.

“No, I’d lose,” Umji said.

“I’m going to fight you,” Sinb said as she pounced on Umji. “Say I’m prettier!”

Umji laughed from the onslaught of tickles.

“If you don’t say it, I’ll tickle you to death!” Sinb said.

“Ok! OK! I admit that you are waaaaay prettier than that actress.” Umji said breathlessly as she was still laughing.

Sinb stopped and looked at Umji. She felt her ears slightly burning. She didn’t say to admit anything; she just thought that Umji would just joke around. Hearing Umji literally admitting it made Sinb flattered, and a little embarrassed.

“You’re so evil,” Umji said as she knocked Sinb off of her.

“I didn’t think you’d admit it,” Sinb said.

“Oh shoot, I did!” Umji said as her face got a little red. “Sorry if I made you uncomfortable.”

“Oh, no, it’s fine,” Sinb said. “It’s just… flattering.”

Silence.

“I heard a new Korean drama came out a couple days ago, do you want to watch that?” Umji said to break the silence.

“Yeah, sure,”

 

 

“Let’s go to the movies!” Yuju said as the others all gathered.

“Sure, I’ve been wanting to take a break from school!” Eunha said.

“Nobody has any classes today right?” Sowon asked to make sure. To Sowon’s delight, they all nodded.

“What movie?” Umji asked.

“Deadpool 2?” Yuju suggested.

“Oh, I want to watch that!” Sowon said. “We are all older than 18, right?”

“We are all in college.” Eunha gave Sowon a look.

“Oh, yeah,” Sowon replied.

Sinb and Yerin were quiet the whole time. It made them all slightly uncomfortable, but they didn’t let it show.

“Let’s go then!” Yuju said as she escorted everyone out of the door.

 

The movie started with laughs and, surprisingly, sadness. Eunha, who was sitting next to Yerin, looked over at Umji who was sitting next to Sinb. They were both on the opposite ends of the theater. Umji looked over at Eunha and sighed.

Yerin said she wasn’t going to give effort in talking to Sinb unless she apologized for her actions or at least if Sinb tried to justify herself. Sinb wasn’t talking to Yerin because she felt bad and didn’t feel worthy enough to apologize until she proved to herself that she was no longer a douche.

It was just a big bubble of tension filled with small misunderstandings and slight stubbornness.

Because of this, the movie wasn’t very enjoyable for Umji and Eunha. On the other hand, Sowon and Yuju were both laughing their butts off.

The group drove back to the dorms. The girls exited the car.

“I see you girls had fun,” A voice said.

Immediately, Sowon’s face darkened.

“What do you want?” Sowon said.

“I’m just walking around, admiring the students.” The president said.

“Oh! Wow, it’s a pleasure to see you!” Eunha said.

They all bowed in respect except Sowon.

“Why are you here?” Sowon said. “You never cared to come before.”

“I just had some free time.” The president said. “Can’t I talk to my students?”
Sowon gave her a long stare and then turned and walked away. Everyone was quite uncomfortable.

“Well, I’ll get going, it’s great to see you guys having fun.” She said. “Like I always say, live your lives to the fullest.”

She turned and walked away, making everyone relieved. They didn’t want to continue talking after the scene with Sowon.

They walked into the dorm, and it seems like Sowon went to her room already.

“What was that all about?” Eunha asked.

“She’s… probably a little stressed.” Umji said. “Maybe the movie got to her.”

“Maybe… it was emotional.” Yuju agreed.

“Are you seriously agreeing?” Eunha looked at Yuju.

“It seems plausible.” Yuju shrugged.

Eunha sighed. “Well, I guess. It’s late, we should go to bed soon.”

Eunha grabbed Yerin’s hand, “See you guys tomorrow.”

 

 

“Sowon, are you ok?” Yuju asked.

“Yeah, sorry,” Sowon answered. “I’m just really tired. My exhaustion got the best of me.”

“Are you sure? I didn’t only seem like you were tired.” Yuju pried.

“Sorry, it’s just… that woman…” Sowon wavered. “We just… don’t have a good history.”

“Oh,” Yuju pulled the bed covers over herself. She didn’t want to pry anymore. “Sorry,”

“Don’t be sorry,” Sowon said. “I should be sorry for my behavior.”

“No, it’s ok,” Yuju said.

“Goodnight, Yuna,” Sowon said as she turned off the lights.

“Goodnight, Sowon.”


Hey guys!

Sorry about the short update.

Since things are kind of moving faster now and I don't need to add as much detail to character development (yet), these chapters might be shorter (especially with the two talkative ones not talking to each other now).

I hope the chapter wasn't too rushed! 

Hope you enjoy!
Mayve leave a comment if you are enjoying! That always makes me happy!