~4~

By Your Side

“Wake up, Yerin.”

Yerin felt weight come onto her stomach as she slowly started to open her eyes. As her vision adjusted to the light she saw Eunha sitting on Yerin and looking over her face.

“You’re awake,” Eunha said with a slight surprise. “Usually you don’t like to wake up early.”

“Of course I’m awake,” Yerin said as she sat up and leaned against the bed frame. “It’s the first day of the semester. Plus we have to get up early for the entrance ceremony or else we will get in trouble.”

“True,” Eunha said as she innocently smiled at the bigger girl.

“Hey, Eunha,” Yerin said as she looked up at her.

“Yes?”

“Did you gain weight?” Yerin teased.

Eunha’s face got red from slight embarrassment; she shifted and rolled off of Yerin.

“I’m just kidding,” Yerin said as she got up to console the small girl. Eunha puffed out her cheeks as she crossed her arms and turned away from Yerin.

“Babe, I’m sorry,” Yerin said as she slightly chuckled, even if it was a little cruel of her to joke like that, it was adorable to see Eunha pout.

“It might’ve just been your s,” Yerin said as she slightly felt up her girlfriend’s bosom, “They seem to have gotten bigger.”

Eunha’s face turned a bright red as she realized where Yerin’s hands were. She turned around and punched Yerin; it was a soft punch but strong enough where Yerin could feel it.

“I’m sorry,” Yerin said as she laughed.

“Why are you such a ert?” Eunha said as she sighed in frustration.

“I can’t control who I am,” Yerin said as she smirked.

“Why did I decide to date a ert?” Eunha said as she sighed.

“It’s because you love me,” Yerin said in a high, cute voice as she exaggerated the ‘o’ in love. Eunha sighed and smiled at Yerin, she couldn’t reject the fact that she is very much in love with Yerin.

“Come on, get ready, everyone is probably waiting for us,” Eunha said as she started to fix the beds.

Yerin smiled as she walked into the bathroom, “Ok.”

 

“Took you guys long enough,” Sinb said when the two approached.

“Yeah, sorry,” Yerin said as she looked around to see if they really were the last ones. As she looked around she saw the Yewon stood a distance away from Sinb. Yerin sighed softly, she had thought that they were starting to get closer ever since their first hang out, but sadly it seemed that there was an even larger gap between them now. Sinb ignored her as much as she could for some unknown reason, anytime that they did talk, Sinb would be short and cold. Because of this, Yewon just had this sad aura around her. Yewon really did want to help Sinb; she really wanted to become friends with her – but Sinb seemed to become secluded behind a wall. Sowon kept trying to cheer Yewon up with inaudible words of encouragement that seemed more and more like coaching. One of the only good things that happened was that Yuju opened up a lot more since they first met. Now she was joking around and always making the others laugh. They all suspect that Yuju will probably crawl back into her little shell when she goes to class.

“Come on, we don’t want to be late,” Sowon said as she wrapped her arm around Yewon and grabbed Yuju’s hand; she really looked like a mother.

“Yeah,” Sinb said as she got up and walked over to Yerin, “We should hurry.”

The group of girls all walked towards the main building, the auditorium was where the ceremony was going to be held. They walked in right in time, as the doors closed shortly after their arrival. There were many speeches and such, there were many papers handed out, but most of them were useless. Yuju looked around, as she was slightly getting restless. She saw Sinb and Yerin yawn simultaneously and then turned as she heard that the chairwoman was stepping onto the podium. The chairwoman started her speech by introducing herself. Park Jisoo. She continued to talk about the future of the school and talked about all the boring stuff. She turned to look at Sowon who was sitting next to her, Yuju’s eyes widened as she saw that she had a weird looking expression on her face. Usually, Sowon would look happy and the sort. Yes, at times she was mad (mostly at Sinb), but now Sowon had this look that Yuju didn’t recognize. During the month that Yuju had been there, she had never seen Sowon radiate such a strong emotion. It slightly scared her. Sowon then realized that Yuju had been watching her and she turned around, her smile returning.

“What’s wrong?” Sowon said obliviously.

Yuju shook her head then turned back around to watch the rest of the chairwoman’s speech. That expression on Sowon’s face was similar to hate, it wasn’t complete hatred, but Yuju couldn’t put her finger on it. She continued to listen to the speech but then heard a faint mutter come from Sowon.

Liar.”

 

“I almost fell asleep!” Yerin said as she stretched. Sinb and were the only ones there, Sowon had an acting class, Eunha and Yuju were at some sort of music theory class and Yewon was at her voice acting classes. Yerin and Sinb’s dance class wasn’t until 2 hours later.

“Yeah, it was really boring, no offense,” Sinb said as she sat down on a bench.

“Don’t apologize, I completely agree with you,” Yerin said as she laughed and took a seat next to the younger girl. “Man, that chairwoman’s speech was pretty inspiring, though.”

“Yeah, It literally sounds exactly like you,” Sinb said as she leaned back against the bench.

They both were silent, as they were both very tired and there was really nothing to talk about.

“Hey,” Yerin said finally. “Why are you being so cold to Yewon?”

Sinb froze then sighed, “I don’t know… she just gets on my nerves.”

“Why?”

“She was just creepily nice when we first met, it was kind of revolting…” Sinb said. “She acts like she needs to understand me, like, why does she always want to help? I don’t really like her acting all goody-two-shoes. I feel like—“

Sinb stopped and shook her head, “I probably sound like a real . She’s nice to me, but I push her away.”

“Yeah, you’re acting quite like a .” Yerin said, “But maybe you need to give her more time, she's really trying her best.”

Sinb sat silently, then she abruptly got up and said, “Come on, our dance class is going to start soon.”

“Ok,”

 

The class was more of exercises first; they were all getting warmed up all while the teacher, Kim Soyul, was talking about the rules and expectations. She took a quick attendance then after 30 minutes of stretches and warm-ups, she announced that they would be breaking up into different groups. Sinb seemed to be in a bad mood since the beginning of class.

“I’ll be picking your groups,” The teacher said, “I don’t want some of you guys to be messing around. Randomizing the groups would be the best way to prevent that.”

“Dang,” Yerin muttered, she might not end up with Sinb.

The teacher started naming off groups, some groans and some little celebratory sounds aroused from the other girls.

“Jung Yerin, Kim Soyoon, Kim Yewon, Hwang Eunbi, Lee Jihae.”

Yerin let out a little satisfactory noise and turned to give Sinb a little high-five, but stopped when she saw a cold expression on her face.

That’s right. Yewon is in our group. Yerin thought. Wait… Yewon was in this class?

Yewon had been so quiet Yerin didn’t even notice. Yerin slightly felt bad for not realizing that another friend was there.

“What’s up, Yewon!” Yerin said happily. She wanted to break the barrier between Sinb and Yewon even by a little. “I didn’t notice you at all! You were like a little ninja!”

Yewon laughed, “Yeah, I get that a lot.”

Yerin couldn’t tell whether that was a good or bad thing.

“So do you know exactly what we are supposed to do in these groups? I wasn’t really listening.” Sinb said.

“Well, apparently we are supposed to choreograph a dance and then be ready to perform in about 3 weeks for the first evaluation. During these groups, she watches the cooperation between all the dancers. She watches the skills; she watches who is falling behind and she watches all their little errors, like, if one person is always looking around to remember the dance. Then after watching everyone, she places everyone in groups based on skill.” The girl named Jihae explained.

“Oh, wow. Thank you for the explanation.” Yerin said as turned towards the two other girls. “I can’t wait to work with you guys.”

“Same here,” Jihae said as she looked over at Soyoon who nodded in reply.

“Ok, let’s talk about how we’re going to execute this,” Yerin said.

 

The group decided that Sinb and Soyoon could choreograph the dance, as they were the more experienced dancers. They all agreed to dance to Ariana Grande “Side to Side”. Sinb and Soyoon began teaching the others what they had so far; Sinb said that it would be better to start learning the dance and practice than to just wait until the last minute to mess up. They only had 3 weeks to make and learn the dance. Soyoon was a really good dancer despite being shy; it was like her personality completely switched when she is dancing. Although she was good, she was a little weak in some moves, it wasn’t lazy but it was more like she was always tired.

Yewon was slightly intimidated by the two’s skills, she began to bite down on her thumb.

“Hey, Umji!” Sinb said as she called for Yewon. “Stop doing that, it’s not good for you.”

Yerin looked over at Sinb with a slightly hurt expression; she couldn’t believe it. Was Sinb mocking Yewon’s habit? Even if Sinb didn’t like Yewon, it wasn’t nice to mock her by calling her “thumb”.

“Sinb,” Yerin said to warn Sinb.

Sinb looked at Yerin with a slightly cold expression. She turned around and ignored Yerin, she knew it was rude, but she didn’t know how to reply.

“Let’s start from the top.”

 

“1-2-3-4-5-“ Soyoon counted off as they danced. “6-7—“

Soyoon put up a hand to show that she was going to have a little break; Sinb continued to count off as the rest of them danced. Throughout the two weeks, since they started the dance Soyoon had been getting more and more exhausted so by now Sinb had gotten used to taking over the things that Soyoon would usually do. Yerin would ask Jihae if Soyoon was all right as they were apparently roommates but she would always reply with the same thing.

“She hasn’t been sleeping, she’s been really stressed.”

Some days Soyoon would have to sit out the entire practice because she was too tired to move. Soyoon was quiet, but she was very serious about dancing. Yewon would insist that she should stay in the dorm and rest there, but she would shake her head and shyly smile.

“She might be quiet but she is quite stubborn.” Jihae would always say.

Sinb and Soyoon continued to think of ideas for their dance, as they weren’t done yet. The two dancers agreed that the ending should leave the audience shocked and it should make them want more even though it’s over. Halfway through their little session, Soyoon had to sit down and she just decided to watch Sinb and help her come up with moves. At this point, Sinb was quite used to this little regime.

Class finished shortly after Sinb and Soyoon completed the choreography. They gave each other a little high-five before the others called for them.

“Come on Soyoon,” Jihae said, “Let’s go work out.”

“Ok,” Soyoon said as she got up. “Sinb,”

Sinb looked up, “Yeah?”

“I hope we can become friends.” Soyoon said as she fidgeted with her hands, a nervous gesture, “I want to get closer to you because you’re really cool.”

Sinb laughed as she stood up, “What are you talking about?” Sinb walked over and ruffled up the small girl’s hair, “You’re the cool one.”

Soyoon smiled as she fixed her messed up hair, then she turned around to meet up with Jihae.

Yerin smiled as she watched the two interact, for once Sinb was opening up without her help. Yerin looked at the large mirrors in the dance room, and then saw something she didn’t expect. Yewon was watching the two dancers in a way that made Yerin quite uncomfortable. She watched as Yewon looked down and sighed. It was obvious that Yewon was jealous.

“Hey, let’s go! We have a vocal class we have to go to.” Yerin said.

“Ok! Sorry,” Sinb said as she walked over to the older girl.

“See you later Umji,” Yerin said as she patted Yewon’s back. Ever since a couple of weeks ago when Sinb called Yewon, ‘Umji’, the nickname just stuck. Although Yerin didn’t like it because it seemed that Sinb was only calling her that because she was mocking her, it was really cute and surprisingly fitting. Yewon didn’t care that the others now called her ‘Umji’. If anything, she accepted it the most. She probably liked it because Sinb gave the name to her.

“I’ll see you guys later,” Umji said quickly as she put on her bag.

“Yep!” Yerin said, “Have fun at your business classes.”

Sinb looked at Umji and gave her a little nod then turned away. As much as she wanted to ignore Umji, she just couldn’t. She didn’t particularly like her, but for some reason, she felt a kind of emotion she couldn’t explain or express.

The two parted from Umji as they walked to their next class. Sadly, no one else they knew would be there as their vocal classes were earlier. Yuju and Eunha were in a higher level class, Yerin was a little disappointed because that means that she wouldn’t be able to listen to Eunha sing during class. The singing class started with the usual attendance. The class was fairly easy but Yerin had to admit that there were a lot of singers that were better than her even if she was in one of the lower classes for singing. Sinb was very timid about singing, it’s as if all her confidence went into her dancing.

Class ended after what felt like hours, Sinb was exhausted.

“Sinb, you look really tired,” Yerin said as she looked at Sinb.

“Of course,” Sinb said as if it were obvious, “We were working really hard at dance, and it’s just the first week!”

“The amazing Sinb is tired from dancing!” Yerin said as she gasped dramatically.

“Shut up, I did a lot,” Sinb said as she shoved Yerin.

“Sorry, Sorry,” Yerin said with a laugh. “Well, I gotta go get Eunha! I’ll see you later. Make sure you rest.”

Sinb nodded and waved as Yerin walked away.

Yerin walked back towards the main building, she was going to wait for Eunha to get out of her acting class. She was a little sad that Eunha wasn’t in a lot of classes with her. Only on some days did their schedules match up. As Yerin walked towards where Eunha should’ve been, she saw Umji sitting by the side of the building.

“Hey, what are you doing here all alone?” Yerin said.

“Waiting for Sowon,” Umji replied giddily.

“Sowon?” Yerin questioned. “Why not just go back? Isn’t it quite awkward to be sitting out here.”

“Well, yeah, but I always wait for Sowon,” Umji said innocently.

“Really?” Yerin said. “I never noticed you.”

“Yeah, usually I go inside, but now I just feel more awkward going inside than being out here.”

“True…”

“Are you waiting for Eunha?” Umji asked.

“Of course.” Yerin laughed. “Are you close with Sowon?”

Umji nodded, “We were friends since elementary school.”

“Wow,” Yerin was impressed, “That’s a long time.”

“Yeah, she’s practically like my sister.”

“Or mom,” Yerin added.

Umji laughed.

Yerin looked at Umji, she’s so cheerful. Why was she so… negative during dance class earlier?

“Why were you glaring at Sinb and Soyoon?” Yerin then covered – she didn’t mean to say that out loud.

Umji paused then looked up at Yerin, she sighed as she looked down, “I don’t actually know myself. I told myself that I wouldn’t let it happen, but it just did.”

“Let what happen?” Yerin asked.

“I didn't think that I would fall in love with her.” Umji’s voice was low and inaudible. Yerin opened to ask Umji to repeat her answer but was cut off by Umji.

“Forget I said anything,” Umji said. She got up and as if on cue, Sowon and Eunha came out of the building.

“Sowon!” Umji said as she happily walked towards the tall girl. “How was class?”

“It was good! How was yours?” Sowon asked.

“Good,” Umji replied.

The two then walked off, leaving Yerin unsatisfied with the conversation she had with Umji.

“What’s wrong?” Eunha asked.

“Oh nothing,” Yerin said, she didn’t want to make what happened into a big deal, it was just jealousy. It was completely normal, even for Umji. For now, Yerin let it slide. “I missed you.”

“Don’t use aegyo on me,” Eunha said as she laughed. “Come on, it’s getting late, we should head back.”

Yerin smiled and nodded.

 

Sinb walked back towards the dorms and then stopped when she saw a familiar figure. She walked up to the bench where the girl was sitting.

“What are you doing here, Soyoon?”

Soyoon turned and smiled as she saw Sinb walk towards her, she moved over and made room for Sinb. She gestured for Sinb to sit down next to her. Sinb took up her silent offer and sat down next to her as she sighed.

“You seem tired,” Soyoon said as she watched Sinb collapse onto the bench.

“Yeah,” Sinb said, “Today has been really tiring.”

Soyoon nodded as she leaned back. Sinb looked at Soyoon and noticed her attire change; she wasn’t wearing a long sleeve like she always does during class. Her workout must’ve been intense if it made her take off her hoodie when she never does during class.

“So, how was your workout with Jihae?” Sinb asked.

“It was good, How was class?”

“So-so…”

They continued their small talk until Sinb noticed a long pink scar on the inside of Soyoon’s forearm.

“Hey, what happened?” Sinb said then realized that what she said could’ve been rude, “Sorry, you don’t have to answer me.”

“No, It’s fine,” Soyoon said. “I got this from when I broke my arm a while back. It was a pretty bad break.”

Sinb nodded as she looked at the scar. It was sad to see such a mark on the cute girl’s body; no wonder she wore long sleeves. Sinb looked along Soyoon’s forearm and was surprised to see more scars. These weren’t as severe, as they were smaller and white.

“My bones break pretty easily,” Soyoon said as if she read Sinb’s mind.

“Oh…” Sinb said, she didn’t know what else to say. She was never in this kind of situation.

“You know, I want to be a professional dancer one day,” Soyoon said suddenly.

Sinb looked at Soyoon’s eyes, they were dark and beautiful, but they also looked sad.

“I can’t possibly become a dancer like this, I’d only be a nuisance. My bones break every chance it gets. I’d be too fragile to be an actual dancer. I’d never survive long.” Soyoon said as she looked down. She snapped back up and covered , “Sorry, I didn’t mean to say all that, I probably made everything all awkward.”

“Soyoon,” Sinb started. “You are an amazing dancer. Hell, if anything you’re one of the best I’ve seen. You’re better than me! And that means something because I never admit that a person is better than me. You create your own dances in seconds. Don’t let your fragileness get in the way of your dream. The more your bones break, the stronger you get. Your body will get stronger. Don’t shadow over your dream because of restrictions that you can overcome.”

Soyoon looked at her then laughed.

“I was serious you know,” Sinb said as she looked at the laughing girl.

“Sorry, I wasn’t laughing because I didn’t believe you.” Soyoon said as she looked up at Sinb’s eyes, “Thank you.”

Soyoon then got up and stood in front of Sinb. “I got to go, Jihae is probably wondering about me.”

Sinb stood up, “Yeah, I should go rest.”

“Sinb, thank you again,” Soyoon said as she looked up at the taller girl. “I hope one day we can dance together on the same stage as professionals one day.”

“Of course, but promise me that you won’t leave me behind,” Sinb said jokingly.

“Of course not,” Soyoon said as she laughed.

“Sinb?” Soyoon said as she looked down.

“Yeah?”

“I’m sorry… but…” Soyoon figeted with her hands. “These last couple weeks with you have been really great, and I think I really like you.”

Sinb stared at Soyoon as if she had just told her she was an alien. 

"You don't have to answer or even accept my feelings, but I just want you to know because after this performance we might not be in the same group. I hope we are though. Alright! I'm gonna go now!"

“Hey!” Sinb called after Soyoon as she started to run away. “Wait come back here!”

Sinb watched Soyoon slowly disappear from view. She smiled as she turned to walk into her dorm. She didn’t even realize that she had this attraction towards Soyoon until Soyoon had told Sinb her feelings. At the time she wasn’t even thinking about the bet she made with Yerin, she was just thinking about the feelings that she had for Soyoon. It was a different but oddly familiar feeling.

This must be love

 

 

The next day, Soyoon didn’t come to class.


HEY! FINALLY BACK WITH ANOTHER CHAPTER! sorry if like it's bad and stuff ><. But i hope you enjoy ^^ 

AFF is being weird so it's not letting me indent and studd ;-;. i cri

anyways please upvote and/or subscribe if you are enjoying this story so far.