Introducing Hyeon Jung aka Jin Ri Kim!

Brother is so annoying!

 

Today was the day I’ll move to my new family. Could you imagine after months of waiting, I’m finally getting a family? I really hope my parents are nice to me. Better yet, I hope I have a totally awesome big brother. I suddenly got scared of the thought of being an only child.

HYEEEEOOOONNN!!!” Sang Mi called when she slammed the door to my room open. I smiled at her little joke.

“Hey Sang Mi! What brings you here?” I asked.

“Duh! I want to say goodbye to my BFFL!” Sang Mi said and gave me a super tight bear hug. Yep. That’s my BFFL alright.

BFFL stands for “Best Friend For Life”. I think she coined that from an American cartoon when she was a kid. After nearly suffocating the air out of me, she gave me a slap on the cheek. Wow, thanks a lot Sang Mi!

“And the slap was for?” I asked.

“Good luck! Isn’t that Chinese tradition?” Sang Mi asked.

“Not really. It’s the Chinese way of saying I EFFING HATE YOU!” I screamed at her. She started laughing at me and we began laughing for small reasons again.

Mrs. Jung, our caretaker, arrived at my room and signaled me to leave already. It hurts me to leave my friends behind. But then again Mrs. Jung, Ms. Vonne Choi and Sang Mi are the only ones who like me here. So it’ll be easier for me to walk out the door right this moment.

“Stay in touch!” Sang Mi told me while I grabbed my bag.

I faced her with my bag on my back. I winked at her and she winked back. I walked quickly outside the door and started humming happily. I really can’t wait to see my new parents!

“Goodbye Hyeon! I mean…KIM JIN RI!” Sang Mi yelled across the hall.

“We’ll miss you Hyeon! Good luck being the new Kim Jin Ri!” Mrs. Jung also yelled.

I walked across the hallway and made my way to the elevator. I began thinking about how I’ll leave my nasty school and those y girls behind. Also the y ones here in the orphanage.

But wait! What if my stepmom and stepdad are totally cruel and they’ll treat me worse than these people here? I could always call the police and run. After all, I’m a skilled martial artist. Is that even a word? Oh well! I AM AWESOME in simpler words. I’ll be kicking their butts if they try to stab me! They just watch.

I reached the front desk and I saw Ms. Vonne talking to two rich looking couple. They must be the Kims. I shyly approached them. Vonne saw me and I caught the Kims’ attention. They both smiled at each other then they looked at me. Wow, awkward much?

“Annyeong, Jin Ri! Meet your new parents.” Vonne said and pointed to the rich couple. Wow, I have pretty good looking and rich ‘rents!

“Annyeonghaseyo! Nice to meet both of you.” I said and bowed 90 degrees.

“Such a polite sweetheart. C’mon dear, let’s go and take her around.” Mrs. Kim - I mean - Mom, said. She even smiled brightly at Dad.

“I won’t be putting any further interruptions. Go and have fun with your new family, Jin Ri!” Vonne said and waved goodbye.

I followed my parents to their car parked in front of the building. I got inside the second row and I sat with my bag. Dad got inside the driver’s seat and Mom sat on the seat next to him. I started getting nervous all of a sudden. The car got moving and they played some American music.

“So Jin Ri, are you hungry?” Dad asked.

“A little.” I said shyly.

“What would you like to eat? Our treat!” Mom said.

“Um…Well I do want pudding for dessert.” I said. It’s true anyway.

“How cute! Okay, let’s stop by this new Japanese restaurant that sells delicious pudding!” Dad said and Mom went all cheerful. What a couple!

---

They took me to this Japanese restaurant that was completely over-the-top. We sat Japanese style and all that. Mom and Dad ordered up a lot of food. Well, I don’t usually eat much because the orphanage gives us limited food.

“You better eat up a lot, Jin Ri! I don’t want my little girl to be skinny.” Dad said before laughing with Mom. I agree that I’m as thin as a skeletal system. They don’t have to say it public!

“Y-yeah, I agree. I guess I need to build up some shape.” I said and laughed shortly.

To my surprise, our food was quickly served. My mouth began watering from the sushi, tempura, ramen, etc. My parents looked at me from the other side of the table and chucked.

“Let’s dig in!” Mom and Dad said together.

Using chopsticks, I began stuffing my mouth with every delicious food I want. I almost died when my parents gave me this pint sized pudding for dessert. Yum! I was so full I think I gained extra pounds. Dad’s phone rang and so did Mom’s. Gee, for old people, they sure are busy.

“Sorry hon, but we have to drop you home. Maybe we can go shopping next time.” Mom said.

“C’mon. Let’s go because I have an emergency to attend to.” Dad said.

They both paid the bill and we headed to our car in the parking lot. Once I got inside, I started getting curious about them. While driving me home, they kept talking to people on the phone. I think Mom owns a dental clinic while Dad runs a hospital. I know that’s a large business but maybe there’s another source for their income. I wonder what…?

“Okay hon, we’re home!” Mom said. I looked outside the door.

W-WHOA!!