The Coffee Shop Owner

atarashī koi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 2: The Coffee Shop Owner

I wake up to the bright sunlight hitting my face and I rub my eyes. Thankfully, I had a good night’s sleep at my new home despite the fact that I’m still familiarizing myself on the place. I stand up and went to the bathroom to do my morning rituals.

 

Suddenly, I thought of the guy next door. I wasn’t able to thank him for helping me bring that one box in because he disappeared before I can even talk to him. Is he really that shy? Or the thought of having a female neighbor kinda scares him?

 

I was suddenly brought back into reality when I heard my phone ring across the room. I immediately finished brushing my teeth and ran for my life, knowing that I’ll be hearing my mother’s homily because I forgot to tell her about my arrival here.

 

“Hello—“

 

“IM YOONA YOU UNGRATEFUL BRAT HOW DARE YOU FORGET TO CALL US –“

 

I knew it. I immediately rubbed my ear due to the loudness of the voice of my mother. It isn’t even on the loudspeaker but it felt like someone had shouted on my ear directly.

 

“Mom, I’m fine. I was too tired yesterday so I immediately fell asleep.” That’s half-true, though. I still went my way around the building and tried to greet the neighbors and the thought of calling my parents disappeared.

 

“But still! You could have called us when you arrived!” I can sense the worry in my mom’s voice and I can’t blame her. It’s my first time to be here and to be away from them ever since I graduated and they’re not used to not having me around the house.

 

“I know, I know. I’m sorry okay?” I try to sound really apologetic so my mom will not have to speak any longer. “Anyway, oppa’s workplace is quite near from mine so I guess I’ll be visiting him today.” Walking to the kitchen, I notice that it’s actually near noon. I must have been really tired from moving the boxes.

 

She heaves a sigh in relief and I can hear my dad chuckle. “She’s been worrying that you’re not having a great day there in Seoul.” He says, and somehow it makes me feel like home. Alright, call me a daddy’s girl but I really miss having him around.

 

“Actually, it’s quite fun in here. People are nice and there a lot of things that I can do here.” I shrug as I take a slice of bread from the toaster and pours the coffee on my mug. “Anyway, the closest neighbor that I have here is a Chinese dude. He actually helped me—“

 

“A GUY!?” There goes my mom; overreacting at its finest. “Im Yoona, don’t you dare come back here pregnant!”I almost choked on my coffee upon hearing what she just said. Is she serious!? I actually lost my chance on him yesterday (okay, what the heck are you saying Im Yoona?)!

 

“Mom!” I exclaim. “His cells won’t reach me through helping me move the boxes. Geez.” I love my mom but sometimes her imagination can go… hyperbolic.

 

“I know that you’re still trying to move on from Minho but that doesn’t mean that you have to find a rebound guy there!” Okay mom, why did you have to mention that damned name? “Anyway, his wedding is this weekend. Are you really not going attend?”

 

I sigh and walk towards the living room with my coffee and bread on one hand. I take a bite of my bread before responding to my mother.

 

“Mom, I’m happy for him. Really. But I can’t see him in that state knowing that I’m still breaking.” My parents know of my unrequited love with my best friend and they’re really worried at me eversince the news of him getting Krystal pregnant and finally going to get married.  “Call me selfish but it’s just…”

 

“We know, Yoong. We can’t blame you.” My father says and I’m really trying my best not to tear up. “But you know that you have to face him sooner or later. The friendship that you built for 20 years ain’t going to go wasted.”

 

“I am aware of that, Dad. I’m 25 now and I can definitely decide on my own. I guess it’ll just take some… time.” I sip the last of my coffee and finish my toast. I look at the view of the afternoon in Seoul and try to drive the negative thoughts away from my mind.

 

“I miss reading your works.” I smile bitterly. It has been awhile since I’ve last written a book and it feels strange to imagine myself writing again. My mom is one of my biggest fans and is the one who has always supported me on my passion.

 

But you know, things change.

 

“Mom, don’t be so dramatic! I can’t always make a living out of writing and it’s actually nice to do something out of my comfort zone.” Being a travel agent isn’t something I have dreamed of since I was a kid but knowing that I will be helping people organize their tours excites me. “I have to go. I’ll text oppa if I can go visit him today because I’m really bored.”

 

I can hear them chuckle on the other line and I wish that I can see the huge smiles plastered on their faces right now. “Alright, tell me about your meeting with Kwon-ah, okay? Also, inform him that if he doesn’t go home this week, I’ll be disowning that brat!”

 

I laugh once again and bid goodbye. I then sent a message to my brother saying that if he has a vacant hour, he should meet me because mom just sent him a death threat.

 

One last

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter