Hanging Out

atarashī koi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Hanging Out

“Happy Mother’s Day, Mom. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there.” Yoona says as she stirs her self-cooked curry while balancing her phone in between her ear and her shoulder. “My car broke down and Kwon-oppa can’t drive me because of his duty. Yuri’s busy as well and you know well that I’m not good at commuting.” She chuckles and takes a spoon to taste if the flavor is enough.

 

(It’s alright, sweetie. It’s just… so lonely without the two of you here.) She can sense the loneliness of her mother and Yoona feels bad. If she only wasn’t bad at directions while commuting, she could have been there with them.

 

However, she got scared after she almost passed their hometown when she fell asleep on her way home from Seoul way back then.

 

“I promise, I’ll make it up to you soon.”

 

(Why don’t you invite your neighbor’s mother over?) Yoona turns the stove off and puts a lid on the pot. (You said that you’re getting along with that neighbor of yours, right?)

 

Yoona cringes at her mother’s suggestion. It has been awhile since Lu Han and she talked – only a few greetings here and there whenever they happen to bump with one another. She quite misses the man who seems to be the only sane guy in her circle of friends here in Seoul.

 

“Uh… his mother’s in China.” She awkwardly says as she takes a seat on her kitchen counter. “But… I guess I could give him a portion of the chicken curry that I cooked –“

 

(Oh my! You cooked chicken curry?) She can hear the excitement in her mother’s voice, making her laugh softly. (You should definitely give him! You’re great at cooking that! And oh, don’t forget to give Jongsuk’s mother a share as well! She’ll love you!)

 

Yoona coughs loudly at her mother's suggestion. She’s really attached to Jongsuk, isn’t she? She asks herself as she rolls her eyes.

 

“Mom…” She still can’t tell her the truth so she sighs and gets up from her sitting position. “I’ll call you back later, okay? I’ll give a portion to my neighbor. Curry’s best when it’s served hot.”

 

(And it’s definitely delicious especially since you cooked it. Alright, I’ll get going. Your dad and I are visiting your grandma. I love you. Take care, okay?)

 

“Tell gramma I said hi! I love you too!” She waits for her mother to hang up, before locking her phone and proceeding to get a Tupperware from her cupboard. She takes another sip of her curry, making sure that it’s at its best state before she decides to give it to her neighbor.

 

Once she is done, she changes her tank top into a simple white shirt before getting her outside slippers and going out of her apartment. She looks sideways to see if she can see any of her neighbor outside and maybe greet them a ‘happy mother’s day’ but to no avail, no one is there.

 

Yoona rings the doorbell on Lu Han’s unit and waits patiently for him to open the door for her.

 

“How may I – oh, Yoona!” Lu Han beams at her presence, making her smile as well. His gaze then goes down to the Tupperware that she’s holding and curiously looks back up at her. “Uh, what brought you here?”

 

“I wanted to celebrate Mother’s Day by myself since I couldn’t go home today and yeah… I cooked some curry and decided to give some to you.” She shyly says as she hands the Tupperware to him, which he gladly takes.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter