Strike One

Infinite Power

 

There she was! Sungyeol had waited all day for this moment, to see his blonde angel. If only Myungsoo was here, he could show him that angels really did exist in real life. Although, he'd better not. He didn't want to jinx it, his chances were already low, he didn't need her to fall for Myungsoo on top of everything.

She was walking right towards him, beautiful blonde locks of hair swaying softly with the rhythm of her majestic movements. There was a delicate air about her, but he could see she wasn't as brittle as she looked. She had this radiant inner toughness that made her shine brighter than anyone else in the room. Inside out, she was absolutely gorgeous. Sungyeol had never experienced anything like it. He could feel her presence in every cell of his body, the butterflies growing more and more agitated the closer she got, creating this floating feeling inside of him, as if there was no gravity in there. He took a deep breath and clutched a small box of candies he had bought for her, planning on using one of the many pickup lines he had found online, about how she was so much sweeter than some plain box of candies. He imagined her giggling at his cleverness, driving the butterflies even more crazy.

Now was his chance.

He took a big, excited breath and before he could say anything, she had rendered him speechless with one look. It was as if she could see right through him and she was not impressed with what she saw. She disappeared past him before he could find his voice again. She had cut his spirit in half with her piercing eyes. Intense.

 

“Myungsoo-yaaa, you've got to help me!!” he complained while sporting the biggest pout he could muster up.

Myungsoo rolled his eyes as he collapsed into the seat next to him.

“Come on! When have I ever asked you for help?!?” Sungyeol protested his unfair reaction.

“A lot of times…more than I care to remember.” Myungsoo raised his eyebrows at him, clearly not up for dealing with another one of his all too frequent tricky dilemmas. He couldn't help it if trouble just sought him out.

“Okay, okay… but can you pleeeeeease help me just one more time. Please.” he smiled his sweetest, most endearing smile, throwing in a pair of puppy eyes for good measure.

“Fine. One more time.” Myungsoo sighed, giving up way too easily, not even making him promise a favor in return or anything.

“What's up with you?” he asked, just now noticing that Myungsoo was looking a bit pale.

“A really weird guy asked me out.” Myungsoo mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

“And?” he didn't see the conundrum. This was nothing out of the ordinary. Myungsoo got asked out nearly every single day at their old school, he didn't see how this one was supposed to be any different. Just because you had super powers didn't mean you didn't have eyes anymore. Sure, most of the time it was girls asking him out, but there had been a few guys along the way too.

“And I kind of said yes...” Myungsoo bit his lower lip, not looking very happy about having a date lined up.

“So?” he needed more information.

“Maybe I shouldn't have... I think he's stalking me or something...” Myungsoo shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“So why did you?” he was confused.

“I don't know.... he was kind of cute... and I had just had a near death experience so I wasn't exactly in my right mind. I just thought, you know... you only live once... but... what if he's really weird?” Myungsoo scrunched his nose.

“Wait, back up. You just had a what?” he stopped him right there. Forget the guy, a near death experience?! Why hadn't he lead with that!?

Myungsoo told him all about the incident in the forest. By the end he realized he had been holding his breath the entire time, his lungs stinging, begging for some oxygen. He could feel as a rock-sized knot materialized in his gut. Myungsoo was getting in dangerous situations far too often for his liking. This super power thing was way less glamorous in real life, it wasn't just who looked best in spandex, it was life or death. Maybe coming here hadn't been such a good idea. He wanted to protect him, but he had no idea how. He had a lot to learn in order to be a good sidekick.

“See! Even when you're dying you've got guys asking you out!!” he joked, not wanting Myungsoo to catch on how worried he was, he had enough on his plate.

“Just ask her out, point blank. Girls like directness. It shows that you're confident.” Myungsoo caved and gave him some advice.

“Direct.. you mean, like... caveman style? You, me, lunch, now!” he wasn't completely sold on the idea.

“Well... your conversation skills might need some work, but basically.. yeah.” Myungsoo chuckled. Ah, it was a relief to see his smile again.

 

The next day, looking as sharp as he could in his school uniform, he stormed down the hallway. He had decided to take Myungsoo's advice. He was going to be cool and direct so she had no choice but to fall for him.

She was standing in front of her locker, just where he had figured she would be. He wasn't a stalker or anything, he just paid attention. He quickened his pace, he was not going to let this opportunity slip through his fingers.

Five meters.

His heart did a little pirouette.

Four.

He couldn't breathe.

Three.

He stuck a chic smile on his face.

Two.

It was now or never.

Just as he reached her, preparing to make her a proposal she couldn't refuse, she opened her locker with such vigor that it smacked him right in the face, really hard.

“Oh!” she exclaimed as he put his hand on his now aching head.

“You.. lunch... spinning....” he tried to stay focused but everything got blurry. He started seeing spots, and more spots, until they all connected together into complete blackness.

 

Ouch. It felt as if there was a team of construction workers drilling into his skull. His mouth was completely dry. He tried opening his eyes but his eyelids were too heavy. How long had he been out? He managed to force one eyelid to relinquish a tiny little slit so he could see his surroundings. He gasped. There was his blonde angel, more beautiful than ever. She had a halo around her head, just like a proper angel. Her eyes were not as intense and hostile as usual though, they were full of worry. He wanted to reach out, take her hand and tell her that everything would be okay, but right then his eyelid decided that enough was enough, shutting out what little light there was.

 

He was in and out of consciousness. He had lost all sense of time. He did sense that there was someone with him though, taking care of him.

 

When he finally came to, it was nighttime. He took a quick look around, anticipation inflating his chest, but there was no one there. Had he dreamt the whole thing?

He could feel a huge bump on his head but it was not as big as the bump on his bruised ego.