Nightmare

Infinite Power

 

Dongwoo sat up in bed, his heart doing a round of jumping jacks in his chest. Slightly disoriented he looked around the dimly lit room, the only light coming from the light post across the street. A cold stream of sweat was making its way down the center of his back. He wiped his forehead. That had been some nightmare. He took a deep breath. He could only remember glimpses. A bright light flashing before his eyes, almost blinding. Screaming. That was why he woke up. Someone had been screaming, the way you scream when something so horrible happens that your mind can't comprehend it and just starts screaming instead. He could still hear the echo, it made the hairs on the back of his neck rise.

A loud, bright lightning startled him, solemnly lighting up his room for a few nanoseconds. It was like something out of a horror movie. Maybe the weather had woken him up. But it wasn't just that. He had been having the same nightmare every night for almost two weeks now. He was used to restless dreams and nightmares, but normally he could remember them clearly when he woke up and most of the time they were premonitions that went away if he tried to help whomever appeared in his dream. The way he saw it, people in need emanated some kind of an SOS-energy that he just happened to pick up on, like an antenna. When he answered the call, the cry for help that he was sensing disappeared and he could once again breathe lighter. But this time was different. When he woke up, all he was left with was a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. He had seen some bad things in the course of his life, awful things, indescribable things, but this not knowing was much worse.

 

He lay back down, closing his eyes but failing in keeping them shut for more than a few seconds. Every time he closed his eyes, that feeling would revisit him. The darkness felt like it was closing in on him, eating him alive.

 

At times like these, Dongwoo wished he had a boyfriend.

 

“Hello?” a sleep drunken voice answered the phone.

“Hey. It's me.” Dongwoo whispered, feeling bad for having woken him up in the middle of the night for something as childish as a nightmare.

“Oh. Nightmare again?”.

“Mmm.”.

“Want me to come over?”.

“Could you?” Dongwoo didn't want to impose, but this was kind of why he called in the first place.

“I'll be there in 5.”.

 

Dongwoo lay back down, feeling a tiny bit better knowing he was on his way. They had been best friends ever since he had discovered him cowering in a corner after a particularly grueling vision. It had been Dongwoo's first day. He had spent most of his childhood in a mental institution, constantly haunted by his visions that no one believed in, not even his parents. Since then he had learnt how to control and focus his powers, but every time he fell asleep he went back to being that defenseless kid who nobody believed, being attacked by visions from every direction.

He had grown up alone. It wasn't until that first day of school that he really understood what it was to have somebody in your corner. It was the best feeling in the world. Better than flying he imagined. It had been such a culture shock making a friend, that it never even crossed his mind that it could be something more than that, but lately he had begun wondering.

 

A soft knock on the door startled him. He stood up to open the door, but his bestie had already opened it with his spare key. Dongwoo was the only kid on campus with a private room after a series of roommate-trials had ended very badly, nobody being able to handle the burden of his relentless visions, day and night.

“Come on, off to bed, you. I'm dead tired and I have an exam tomorrow. I'm going to pass out the moment my head hits the pillow.” he murmured as he pushed Dongwoo into bed, getting in after him.

“It's gona be alright, I'm here now.” he whispered into his ear as he snuggled up to him. A moment later he had fallen asleep. Dongwoo suppressed a chuckle. What use was there in having a guard dog, if it just fell asleep? But it actually made a world of difference to have him there, he thought, hugging the arm that had wound itself around him like an octopus tentacle. He imagined it was a magical arm that would protect him from his bad dreams.

 

 

 

 

 

AN: HAPPY INFINITE COMEBACK!!! YAY!!!! *jumps around in happiness*

Oh, oh, oh, and did you guys see the vlive countdown?? Aigooo, those dongsoo and myungyeol moments kkkkkk >.<