The Blonde

Infinite Power

 

Sungyeol still had goose bumps. He couldn't shake the sound that boy's shoulder had made when the paperweight hit it. It had all happened so fast. The headmaster had asked Myungsoo to demonstrate his powers, some kind of initiation ceremony or entrance examination. Myungsoo had gotten all red in the face and for the longest time nothing happened, the vein on his strained neck the only thing moving. Then, for a fraction of a second, it looked like he was actually going to pull it off. The paperweight had stirred. All three of them sat there in silence, staring at it, holding their breaths. The atmosphere saturated with anticipation, it all became too much for Myungsoo and he lost control. As the paperweight came to life, he could see the panic overtake Myungsoo's face. He had no way of stopping it. If that guy hadn't barged in at exactly the right moment, who knew what horrors could have occurred in that room, not only shortening their stay at this school down to less than a day, but scarring their hearts for life. They had been lucky. Lucky that they were all alive, lucky that the guy still had his arm intact, lucky to have a second chance at a fresh start.

At first he had stayed with Myungsoo at the hospital, waiting with him for the guy to wake up, for moral support. But when he started to wake up, Sungyeol made himself scarce. It looked like they needed some time alone, or maybe it was he himself that needed the time. It was all so overwhelming. Only a few days ago his biggest problem had been how to shift the girls' attention from Myungsoo and over to him, and how to pass algebra. Now it was how to keep everyone alive while Myungsoo's superpower went on a rampage. He realized he hadn't fully believed he had superpowers until that moment in the office, when the paperweight was hovering in the air. In that moment he had sensed someone was probably going to die and there was nothing they could do about it He had felt so helpless. Powerless. Because he literally was, powerless. There was nothing he could do. How was he going to be Myungsoo's sidekick if he was useless? What was he even doing here? He started to doubt that coming here was such a good idea.

He turned a corner, watching as the huge school building came into view. A school that had its own hospital on campus. That should have been the first warning sign. He walked towards the school with his own personal dark cloud over his head, worries and concerns raining down left and right. He was so deep in thought that he walked straight into a boy that was standing in front of a big fountain. The air knocked out of him, he looked up. It wasn't a boy at all. Flinging long blond locks of hair graciously away from her face, she stared at him with fiery eyes. It was as if time had slowed down. His heart did a double-take, his lungs gasping for air. It was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

“Watch it!” she said in a light but sassy feminine voice. In a huff, she twirled around and stormed away, pissed but ladylike, leaving him with nothing but stars in his eyes.

Wow.

 

“Myungsoo-ya! Myungsoo-ya!” he coughed. He had never run so fast in his life. He came to an abrupt stop to avoid his second collision today.

“What's going on? Where did you disappear to?” Myungsoo asked. He looked tired. Or perhaps broken was a more fitting description. It was as if the balloon of hope had burst and now there was nothing to keep him afloat so he was slowly sinking into the abyss of despair.

“There's a girl!!! There's a girl at this school!!” he announced excitedly.

“I'm pretty sure there isn't. She must just have been visiting. Although I'm not sure if that's even allowed....” Myungsoo noted, not sharing his enthusiasm.

“No! I'm telling you, she was wearing the school uniform!” he was not about to let Myungsoo's deflated bubble burst his.

“That's impossible.” Myungsoo stubbornly refused to see reason.

“I saw her, with my own two eyes! She's probably pretending to be a boy so that she can go here.” he said in an 'A-ha!'-tone, realizing it as he said it. He was impressed by his own brilliance. Good work, brain.

“Yeah, right.” Myungsoo's patience was wearing thin.

“Have you never seen a TV drama in your life?? It's totally possible!” he was frustrated at how slow Myungsoo was on the uptake. “I'm gona get in there before anyone is the wiser.” he declared, finally having the edge over Myungsoo that he had always been looking for.

“Yeah, you do that.” Myungsoo patted his shoulder tiredly. “Now, let's find our dorm room, I'm exhausted.”.

 

That night Sungyeol lay awake thinking how would be best to approach her, replaying their 'meet cute' over and over in his head. That silky blonde hair, elegantly flying through the air. He sighed. He could almost smell it in his imagination. It probably smelled amazing.

“Be confident.” he whispered into the darkness. Girls loved confidence.

 

Nervous, he scratched at the corner of a sticker on the door of his new locker. He had gotten a quick orientation this morning, at the end of which they had unceremoniously handed him a time table and a locker number. He got the feeling they had no idea what to do with him. He was going to show them this school lacked a program for sidekicks, he thought with his newfound confidence. After all, there was a reason every superhero had one.

Lunch was almost over, and still there was no sign of his new muse. A lot of students had come and gone, collecting their books, gossiping, giving him curious looks, but not her. He was starting to loose hope. He had to be in class in five minutes and he had no idea where the classroom even was. He was flying solo today, Myungsoo had to go through some kind of an evaluation after the incident.

And then, when he least expected, she came waltzing down the corridor. The way she moved was intoxicating, kind of like she owned the place, but in the softest, sweetest way. How had no one noticed she was a girl yet, she was doing a really poor job of hiding it. These kids might have superpowers and all that, but when it came to basic stuff like recognizing gender, they were pretty stupid.

He took a deep breath, using the air to lift the wings of his confidence, letting it soar.

“Hey. What's up?” he walked up to the girl and coolly leaned on the locker beside hers. She took one second to look him up and down with a frown of disapproval, wrinkling her cute little nose.

“Okay, bye.” she flicked her hair and swooshed right by him like he was invisible, shooting an arrow through his heart as she flew past him.

 

He was in love.