Confessions

Infinite Power

 

Sungyeol tried to swing his legs back and forth like he had always done when he was younger while waiting for Myungsoo at their secret spot, but he couldn't anymore. His legs were too long. He stretched them out to get a proper look at them, smiling proudly. He had the longest legs in their class, perhaps the whole school.

Just then, Myungsoo's silhouette appeared on the horizon. Tall and manly. The girls at school all went nuts over him, calling him a manly flower. He could see why, but he didn't get why he was so much more popular than him though. Just like Myungsoo, he was tall and manly, he was even taller than Myungsoo, and he too had a handsome flower face, yet the girls always went for Myungsoo. When Myungsoo wasn't around though, they all went nuts over him. He never blamed Myungsoo, not once. He just didn't get it. Maybe it was the gay thing. His queer charms somehow mesmerizing the girls so that they couldn't see the handsome straight guy standing right beside him. Or maybe he was just so tall that they didn't see him at all. He chuckled to himself. He was pretty tall. Either way, the girls were destined to end up with him, for Myungsoo wasn't interested one bit.

"So...how did it go?" he asked with anticipation. Myungsoo looked as serious as a heart attack, but he often did, as he had the tendency to disappear into his own mind, his brain forgetting to manage his facial expression. It didn't necessarily have to mean anything.

Myungsoo sat down next to him, wrinkling his eyebrows. "I have to tell you something." he said in an ominously low voice. Sungyeol didn't know exactly how to react. It sounded just like the time he told him he was gay. Back then he hadn't had a clue, being totally blind-sighted, he had stuck his foot in it a bit, making unfortunate jokes that echoed through the silence. But not this time. This time he was going to be ready for the news with all the appropriate reactions.

"I...I...eh.." trying to push the words out, Myungsoo looked as if he was pushing a two ton truck out of his mouth without any luck. Sungyeol's heart sank. He knew what he was going to say. He had been expecting this conversation for a while now.

"Myungsoo, I know. I've known for a while." he said softly. "You've developed feelings for me... ah, and I was taking special care not to do anything that could trigger a change in how you see me, but I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.. it's understandable, and believe me, if I was wired that way, you would be my first choice...".

"Ugh no... for the hundredth time, no! I don't like you like that." Myungsoo protested. Sungyeol sighed. Poor sap, he was still in denial.

"I'm different from other people." Myungsoo started, but Sungyeol cut him off, he had a severe case of deja vu.

"Dude, I know you're gay! You told me a long, long time ago, remember? You didn't hit your head and lose all your memories from the last few years, right?" he wrinkled his nose, worried. Myungsoo was acting really weird.

"No, no, not that kind of different, but different different." Myungsoo said, frustrated.

"Hmm.. you lost me.." he scratched his head, having no idea where he was going with this.

"I'VE GOT SUPERNATURAL POWERS." Myungsoo blurted out all at once, nearly shouting. Oh, so this was another one of his jokes that went way above Sungyeol's head. Myungsoo had a weird sense of humor sometimes, but he decided just to roll with it. Myungsoo looked like he was having a hard time, so the least he could do was play along. Maybe it was his way of relieving some stress after the sit-down with his parents.

"Oooh! Which ones??" Sungyeol chuckled, feeling himself getting into it, all excited. He loved this game. He really liked supernatural stuff and there were often times he wished he had supernatural powers, but this was the first time Myungsoo showed any interest.

Mmm.. not sure what it's called, and I can't control it very well yet... but I can like... move stuff... without touching it.” Myungsoo half mumbled the last part so that it was barely discernable.

“Ah! Telekinesis! Oh, that's a good choice!” he said excitedly, not able to stop himself from bouncing up and down.

“Ehm.. it wasn't exactly a choice..” Myungsoo commented, clearly startled by his enthusiastic reaction.

No, no, you're right. Sometimes the power chooses you.” he said in a dramatic voice. This was fun. He wasn't as good an actor as Myungsoo, so it was harder for him to maintain a straight face, but he was trying.

“You're taking this awfully well...” Myungsoo's voice was lined with skepticism.

“Yeah, I mean, it's a cool power, and it doesn't overlap with my power.” he smiled brightly.

“What? You have a power?!?” Myungsoo jumped up, staring him down with an intense incredulous stare.

“Of course! It's not like you own the exclusive rights to having a power.” he argued, proud of his quick witted and strong response.

“Uh...no...” Myungsoo looked confused.

“I chose super strength and agility.” he announced proudly. It was either that or invisibility. Omnilingualism would be cool too. There were just too many to choose from.

“Okay, strange that I have never ever noticed that... show me.” Myungsoo was more skeptical than ever.

“Uhh, I can't just do it on command.” he complained, trying to think of a way to look super strong and agile.

“Riiight, of course not. Aha. Mhm.” Myungsoo shook his head disapprovingly.

“You show me, then.” he threw back at him, smirking a little to widely.

“I told you, I don't have control over it, it's not safe.” Myungsoo said, sadness visiting his eyes.

“Fine, I'll do it then.” he said confidently to try and distract Myungsoo from whatever depressing thoughts were intruding on his brain at the moment.

He stood up and cleared his throat. Looking around he saw a medium sized rock. That should do it, he thought. He positioned himself in front of it, flexing his muscles to look stronger. He bent down to pick it up, but it was heavier than he had expected. He was barely able to nudge it.

“See! It moved!!” he exclaimed out of breath.

Myungsoo scowled.

“Now it's your turn!” he smiled encouragingly.

“I told you, it's too dangerous.” Myungsoo said sullenly, kicking a rock. It flew up and hit a tree.

“Okay, just look this way.” he instructed, and the moment he looked at him, he pretended to fall backwards. “Wooooa! You pushed me with your mind! What a power!!” he said excitedly, acting like Myungsoo's power had completely knocked him over.

“Knock it off! Not everything is a joke, you know!!” Myungsoo growled. Sungyeol, who had just gotten up, was nearly hit by a huge flying tree branch that appeared to have ripped from a nearby tree for no apparent reason and was catapulted in his direction. It was as if the tree had it out for him.

“No!!” Myungsoo shouted, throwing himself on top of Sungyeol, way too late to play the hero, but the sentiment was not lost on him. It took him a few moments to realize what had just happened, but between the flying branch, the pen that broke the window and other peculiar things that had been happening around Myungsoo lately, it was as clear as something that was very clear. Myungsoo was for real!

“Are you okay?” Myungsoo whimpered, getting back up, He looked devastated. His eyes looked like the ones of a puppy that had unintentionally chewed through a sofa while the owners were away.

“Okay?!?!” he replied incredulously.

“I'm sorry.” Myungsoo hung his head.

“I'm AWEsome! This is soooooooo COOL!!!” he jumped up, barely containing himself with excitement.

“What?” Myungsoo looked up, puzzled.

“You've got ACTUAL superpowers!!! This is insane!! Your life is like... a comic book!! Wow! I'm so jealous!! Although I could be like the Alfred to your Batman!!! Like... help you develop your powers and be in charge of your cave and !!” his mind jumped on this idea like a hungry lion would an antelope, rushing through a thousand scenarios of how he could help him become the awesomest superhero ever to be born.

“I don't think there's going to be a cave.” Myungsoo chuckled, the weight lifting from his shoulders.

 

On their way home they discussed their bright future as a superhero and its sidekick. Or well, he was the one doing most of the talking, Myungsoo only nodded, offering a chuckle or two at the most.