Sidekick

Infinite Power

 

“Wait.” Myungsoo stopped in his tracks when they turned into his street.

Sungyeol just stood there, waiting for him to continue.

“That wasn't everything.” Myungsoo hung his head, a dark cloud gathering over his head.

“There's MORE!?!” he couldn't imagine what more there could be. He had just found out he had superpowers, actual supernatural powers! There was nothing that could top that, why even try.

“I... I won't be coming to school on Monday.” Myungsoo kicked a pebble, sending it flying across the dim-lit street.

“Why? Gona take a supernatural-sick day to test out your powers? Ooh, can I come?!” he grinned.

“It's more permanent than that.” Myungsoo avoided his gaze at all costs. A weird feeling visited his gut. It was like an ominous premonition, except he had no idea what it was about.

“You're not... dying, are you?” he could hardly get the words out. Maybe his superpowers were the result of some rare brain tumor. He tried to swallow, but his throat was so dry, it wouldn't go down.

“No, what! No!” Myungsoo waved his hands fervently. “I have to transfer schools. My parents gave me no choice... and.... I don't know.... maybe it's for the best. I'm dangerous. I can't control it.” he added a bit solemnly.

“So you're saying...” he acted super serious, wrinkling his eyebrows.

“THAT I'M GONA BE THE SCHOOL'S NR.1 FLOWERBOY!!” he jumped up and down, laughing like a hyena. Myungsoo did not look happy.

“I'll just go then.” he mumbled and started on his way. Sungyeol acted fast, grabbing his wrist and stopping him in his tracks.

“Come on, don't make me like... say it.” he said, drawing circles in the asphalt with the tip of his shoe. Myungsoo snorted, and with a swift move of his wrist he turned the tables on him, pulling him into his arms and giving him a great big hug. They didn't need words, he thought, as a pang of pain shot through his heart. He was going to miss him something fierce.

“Who am I now going to steal girls form out under?” he pulled back, clearing his throat. It was of course not because he was about to start balling his eyes out, not in the slightest.

“Me!” Myungsoo grinned, those annoyingly cute dimples making a brief appearance.

“What... how?”. If it was a joke, he didn't get it.

“Cuz you're coming with me.” Myungsoo simply shrugged, like it was old news.

“I'm not sure...” he began, not knowing where to start. He was going to have to think about this, and how was he going to explain this to his parents? Although they almost loved Myungsoo more than him, so they would probably jump at the idea.

“It's a school for the supernaturally gifted.” Myungsoo put his hands in his pockets, as if there was no need for further explanation or convincing. Maybe because there wasn't!

“NO. WAY!” he flipped. “Hot chicks with superpowers!! Strutting around in their little outfits, shooting lasers out of their eyes, moving around. Oh man, like.. if she can levitate... like, doing it in mid air, that's far out!” he couldn't shut his brain off, the possibilities were endless. It was like being offered a limited ticked to paradise.

“Wait.. they train sidekicks too?” he had never thought about it, but it only made sense to educate the sidekicks too.

“Uhm... not exactly.” Myungsoo hesitated. “You would be the only one.” he bit his lip.

“For reals? Awesome! Limited edition! The girls will be waiting in mile long lines!” he chuckled. This was it. This was the moment his life changed. He couldn't believe his luck. He always knew he did good befriending Myungsoo when they were little, but he had no idea how good.

“So you're in?” Myungsoo looked at him with hopeful eyes.

“Am I!?!” he gave him a high-five handshake, sealing the deal. “I think you're going to have to come home with me to convince my parents though.” he chuckled.

 

Sungyeol's gut burst into a swarm of butterflies every time he breathed, he was so excited and nervous at the same time. Today was the day. Their first day at superpower school. He had the hardest time keeping his cool, mentally bolting his feet to the ground for all he wanted was to skip around like an idiot.

“You ready?” Myungsoo said as they stood in front of the main gate. It was huge, and very sturdy looking. It looked more like it's purpose was to keep something in, rather than to keep people out. He would have been lying if he denied being just a tiny bit intimidated. At least Myungsoo could defend himself with his powers. He was at a serious disadvantage. But he was a sharp, tall, magnificent man, quick on his feet, ready for anything and with a talent for everything. He was ready.

He nodded, and together they opened the ginormous gate. It was heavy.

 

The schoolyard was bustling with young supernaturals, loitering around before class. One was juggling with no hands. The balls were just moving on their own in mid air. He blinked twice, rubbing his eyes, just to make sure he wasn't imagining this. In all the amazement, he had failed to notice one crucial detail.

“Eh, Myungsoo... where are all the girls?” he skimmed over the entire schoolyard, not spotting a single one.

“About that...” Myungsoo swallowed a chuckle.

“You've got to be kidding me.... A BOY SCHOOL?!??!!” he could not believe it. He was so disappointed that he hadn't even begun to comprehend it yet.

“Hormones and superpowers apparently don't mix, too many distractions.” Myungsoo shrugged, sporting the biggest grin in the history of devious friends.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________

AN: Happy birthday Sungkyu!!!! XD