Chapter 9

Taking Care Of 10

Everyday it’s always the same thing. Clean the house, do all the laundry, organize the kids’ messy rooms and start to prepare for dinner. Eunkyung sighs before she closes the door to the dryer and smacks the button to turn it on. It’s finally the last load of the day and she is just glad that she doesn’t really have anything else to do besides prepare some snacks for when the kids return.

 

She tiredly trudges out of the laundry room and into the kitchen looking at the time to see that the high schoolers should be returning in an half hour. So she arranges a simple tray of snacks for them and puts it in the fridge. She writes a note to let them know about the snacks and sticks it on the fridge before walking into the living room.

 

She sits down on the couch for a second before turning and laying down on her side. Stretching her fatigued body out across the normally uncomfortable sofa she grabs one of the pillows that was knocked to the floor and puts it under her head. Now that she is as comfortable as she can get she closes her eyes and instantly she slips into a deep slumber.

 

Kuhn and Jinhoo walk up to the front door and unlock it before crossing the threshold into the quiet household. Sunyoul met up with them earlier during lunch and told them that he was going to be staying after school for some book club that he is apart of. So it was just the two of them that found their sister dead asleep in an uncomfortable position on the sofa and it was Kuhn (who is stronger out of the two of them) that carried her upstairs so that she could sleep more comfortably. When Kuhn got back downstairs he found Jinhoo in the kitchen munching on some fruit that was left on a platter on top of the counter.

 

“We should just let her sleep until she has to go to work” He mutters as he grabs two cans of soda from the fridge and hands one to Jinhoo before he sits on the counter next to the plate of fruit.

 

“Yeah we should. Even Wei could tell that she sleep deprived; and he is an 8 year old”

 

Kuhn just shakes his head at this. One of these days she is just going to crash, because no person can live off only a few hours of sleep each night. He is always telling her this but she doesn’t listen.

 

“Wei is very smart for his age” Kuhn comments before popping a orange slice into his mouth.

 

“Did she finish doing all of the chores?” He asks eating another piece of the orange.

 

“I think so”

 

Jinhoo didn’t see anything that looked dirty, the house looks like it normally does. A loud buzzing noise breaks the silence of the house and it makes Jinhoo and Kuhn jump in surprise.

“Isn’t that the dryer?” Jinhoo asks getting off of the stool he was sitting on and heads towards the laundry room. Kuhn stays where he is and continues to eat the delicious fruit.

 

“Yeah the clothes in the dryer are done. Now stop being a lazy and come help me”

 

Kuhn groans before getting off the counter and trudges down the hall so he can help his older brother with folding clothes. Yay, just what he wanted to do after school. He rolls his eyes and gets to folding the clothes even though he doesn’t know whose is whose.

 

“Okay so you stay here while I go pick everyone up” Jinhoo tells Kuhn who is sitting down on the couch in front of the tv and playing some game that Jinhoo doesn’t know. Kuhn distractedly nods his head and Jinhoo rolls his eyes before stepping through the threshold and closing the door after himself.

 

He takes his time walking to the elementary school because he ended up leaving early and he doesn’t want to awkwardly wait with all the parents that like to chat about their kids. Jinhoo gets to the school gate just when the bell rings and he leans against a metal pole waiting for all the young ones to gather. He seriously just hopes that Kuhn won’t let the food on the stove burn and catch the house on fire. Oh god, Eunkyung will seriously kill the two of them.

 

“Kuhn please don’t forget” He mutters under his breath.  

 

“Bye Wei” Ten shouts waving from across the hall before turning and hanging onto Rocky who is giving him a piggy back ride. Wei laughs at the sight and waves bye to the two guys.

 

He told Ten earlier that he sadly couldn’t stay after school to keep him company while Rocky practiced. Ten told him that he owed him something and Wei had just agreed. What is the worst thing that the Thai boy could request from him?

 

He turns down the hall when he gets out of his thoughts and follows the flow of students rushing out the school. He spots the familiar frame of Gyujin in the distance and he almost jogs to catch up with him but Wei can see him laughing and excitedly talking to some of his friends so he instead just leaves him be. Today at school was very exciting for him and he wants to tell sissy all about it.

 

“Okay you guys listen up” Jinhoo stops the crowd of young boys in the front yard of the house and turns around to face them.

 

“Eunkyung is sleeping. This means all of you have to be quiet so that she can rest. So please keep all noises to a minimum”

 

He looks over all their faces looking to see if they understand and when he knows they understand he turns back around.

 

“Okay good. Now go do any homework you may have, me or Kuhn will help you if you need any help” Jinhoo opens the front door before letting the crowd of kids into the house.

 

“Eunkyung-sshi you need to wake up. You have to go into work in a little bit” Jinhoo shakes Eunkyung’s shoulder softly. He hears her groan something out before slapping his hands away and rolling over in the bed out of his reach.

 

“Leave me alone” This time he understands her and he justs shakes his head at how childish she is being right now. “C’mon Eunkyung you really need to get up now” He grabs the red blanket in his left hand and in a swift motion he swipes the blanket off of her. Now she sits straight up and with tired half open eyes she glares at him.

 

“Let me sleep Jinhoo” Her sleep filled voice rasps out and she tosses a pillow at him but he easily dodges it. Jinhoo pulls his phone out his back pocket lighting up the screen and shoves it in her face.

 

She squints at it trying to read it and her eyes widen when she comprehends what is says. “It’s already 7:30!!” she shouts shoving the phone away from her face.

 

“Why the hell did you guys let me sleep for so long?!” She exclaims as she clambers out of the bed and runs to her bathroom. “Because you looked really exhausted!” Jinhoo shouts through the closed door and she just rolls her eyes before splashing her face with some water.

 

“That’s no excuse! You should’ve still woken me up!” Her voice is slightly muffled by the towel that she uses to dry her face.

 

“What did you do about dinner? Did all the kids do their homework? Are the younger ones washed and ready for bed? ” All these questions come rushing out of as she yanks open the bathroom door and glares at Jinhoo who is just casually sitting on her bed.

 

“Me and Wei made chicken nuggets for dinner. Kuhn checked and made sure everyone did their homework and right now he helping the younger kids into their pajamas. So please stop worrying about that and just get ready for work”

 

“Fine get out then so that I can get changed”

 

Jinhoo walks towards the bedroom and pauses in the doorway before turning to face her. “Oh yeah. Sunyoul should be coming home soon, he called earlier and said that he was going to eat at one of his friend’s place”

 

She pinches the bridge of her nose sighing before nodding her head. “That’s fine just please wake me up next time and ask me. I haven’t met any of his friend’s parents yet and I don’t want  him over at a stranger’s house”

 

“Okay I’ll make sure he knows to ask you first from now on” Jinhoo says before finally leaving the room and softly closing the door after himself.

 

Eunkyung quickly strips herself of all of her wrinkled clothes tossing them into the hamper and then pulls her work uniform for the diner out from the closet and tugs it on. The uniform is just a simple light blue button up dress that puffs out at the bottom and ends mid-thigh. Under the dress she wears a pair of white and black striped tights and for shoes she has to wear shiny black flats. The last thing that she has to wear is a small black lacy apron around her waist with the diner’s name stitched in white on it.  She goes back into the bathroom and tries to do something with the messy bed hair that she is supporting right now but just ends up using a black bandana as a headband to just push most of her hair out of her face.

“I think I might have some time to eat something before having to leave” She mutters to herself as she grabs her work bag from the chair in the corner of the room and then makes her way out of her bedroom and down the hallway. Eunkyung manages to quickly scarf down some of the dinosaur chicken nuggets that Jinhoo had left for her before she had to leave for work. Wei had kept her company by telling her what had happened during school and then told her goodbye as she walked out the door.

 

After riding a crowded bus for over half an hour she finally gets off at the closest bus stop near her workplace. She squeezes her way through the crowded streets and after a few minutes she arrives at the old school diner. At that moment the familiar sign in the window that reads “Open” starts flashing with it’s neon light and the people waiting outside of the place rush in. She holds the door for all of the customers before entering herself. The place has been open for a while it’s just that they turn off the light if the place doesn’t have any open tables or enough staff so that means when the light turns back on a table has opened up or someone came in to work. The place is very popular and known for its great food that won’t hurt your wallet. She makes her way through the crowded place to the staff room in the back of the place and clocks in.

 

“Hey Eunkyung. You got people in your section!”

 

“Okay, be right there!” She shouts back and tosses her backpack on to the table in the corner of the room and then grabs her notepad and pen before emerging from the room into the chaos. The place is very filled and she can tell that tonight is going to be very busy for her.

 

“Mino, Jinhwan how are you guys?” She asks when she stops in front of the booth containing the two familiar men that she has gotten closer with. “We’re great Eunkyung” Jinhwan answers smiling warmly at her. “Wow this place is super packed tonight” Mino comments leaning out of the booth and looks around the place.

 

“Yea Hakyeon is going to be happy that this place is gaining a lot more popularity” She offhandedly comments. “Are you guys going to be getting the usual?” The two of them come here every night after work and order the same thing so she knows their order by heart now. “Yup” The both of them chirp and she just grins. “You guys do know that we do have other food”

 

“Yeah but it’s not what we want” Mino answers grinning at her as he hands over their menus. “Okay then that’s your guys choice. I’ll be back with your drinks in a little” She takes the menus tucking them into the crook of her arm and flashes them the peace sign before walking away.

 

“Here i’ll put these back for you” A honey sounding voice says before warm hands grab the menus from her grip. “Thank you Sunggyu” She says instantly recognizing the voice that belongs to the small eyed man. He turns around to put the menus back into their right spot before facing her again and smiling kindly at her.  “My section isn’t that busy tonight, so just let me know if you need any help” He says moving his honey brown hair out of the way of his face.

 

Sunggyu always acts sweet and affectionately towards her but always seems to be yelling or arguing with the other employees. She doesn’t know why he is like that only towards her, but she does not have any  problem with it because he can be pretty scary when he is angry. The two of them have gotten close over the short time span that she has been working there. They are always chattering excitedly during their short breaks, laying all over each other while they eat some late night snacks and they have even exchanged phone numbers so they are always texting each other. She had told him how her parents had passed away and that she has to take care of all of her younger brothers, he just doesn’t know how many brothers she actually has. So that is probably why he is always trying to make sure that she isn’t working herself too much and asking her how she and her brothers are doing. She would say that the two of them are very great friends.

 

“I’ll be fine so don’t worry too much”

 

“Fine but you better get back out there, you know how they get if you keep them waiting too long”

 

“Yeah I know. I’ll see you later Sunggyu” She smiles at him before turning around and walking back to her section. For two hours straight she greets people, takes their orders, brings people’s orders, and then clears off the tables. She is constantly flittering from table to table while avoiding knocking into people or dropping things. Most people don’t leave great tips for her or they have to complain about something she has no control over. So when she takes her break she collapses into a chair in the break room and rests her head on the cool table just wanting the night to be over. But she still has her other job she has to go to after this one. Sighing loudly she rests her whole upper body on the cool table exasperated by all of the work she has to do. She’s still annoyed by the teenage couple that bumped into her earlier making her drop her tray and shatter some plates but then told her to watch where she was going. Eunkyung growls still wanting to strangle that cocky teenage boy who looked smug while Hakyeon was scolding her.

 

“Eunkyung I brought your favorite” Sunggyu chirps when he kicks open the door and strides into the break room holding two cups in his hands. “Sunggyu please kill me” She mutters but it comes out sounding muffled because her face is smooshed against the table.

 

“I will but only after you finish your Brownie Frappuccino” He says placing the cold beverage on the table next to her head. “Not even a brownie frappu-What?!” Her eyes widen and she quickly sits up grabbing the starbucks cup and examines it closely. “Sunggyu how? Tell me how because the last time I went they said they got rid of it. You know what I don’t care. Thanks so much though” She takes a big sip from the green straw and she closes her eyes feeling pure bliss at the taste of the heavenly concoction. “Damn girl don’t have an it’s just a drink” Sunggyu laughs at her reaction and sits down next to her sipping on his iced coffee.

 

“But it’s sooo good Sunggyu, you just don’t understand” She says between sips of heavenly drink. “No I don’t understand your obsession with that drink. But i’ll just let you know you look like a basic white girl and that’s saying something cause you’re Korean” She smacks his thigh that’s right next to hers and cuts her eyes at him. “I do not look like a basic white . Also you’re one to talk about being basic as you love anything that is pumpkin spice”

 

“There is nothing wrong with liking pumpkin spice” Sunggyu defends himself and she just rolls her eyes. “Anyway have you eaten anything tonight? I don’t want you drinking that on an empty stomach and end up getting a sugar rush” He asking chewing lightly on the green straw, it’s a habit of his. “Yeah I ate about two hours ago, but I’m pretty sure I burned that all off so some food would be great right now.” She also bites at the end of her own straw, because she has seen the other do it so much she has picked up on the habit as well.

 

“How about we go to the convenient store down the street? I honestly can’t eat any food from here right now” She suggests while distractedly running her finger up and down the side of the wet cup. “Yeah that sounds good. I’ll pay, call?” He asks with a small kitten smile on his face. She sighs wanting to argue with him about how she can pay for herself but decides to just accept the other’s kind offer. “Call” She says doing the peace sign by her cheek and Sunggyu just laughs at her.

 

“C’mon let’s go before our break ends” Sunggyu stands up  walking over to his work bag in the corner and grabs his wallet before turning to her gesturing for her to quickly follow.  The two of them go and eat a lot of food that probably is not good for their health but they couldn’t care less, it’s okay to just not care sometimes. The owner of the place almost kicked them out for messing around too much and knocking over a display. It was Sunggyu’s fault for shoving her and she lost her balance. But they return to work safely and now full of delicious snacks.

 

At the end of her shift Eunkyung bids Sunggyu goodbye for the night when she gets on the bus that heads to her other job. The ride usually takes a while so she ends up taking a short nap and waking up at the stop before the one she has to get off at. “Eunkyung hurry up Donghyun needs your help packing the truck!” The yell greets her once she turns the corner down the alley and with the one street lamp that still works she spots her boss leaning against the building smoking a cigarette. “He wouldn’t need my help if you would actually do something you lazy ” She mutters under her breath.

 

“Yes sir I’m on my way right now!” She shouts so that the man can hear her and she holds onto her bag’s strap that crosses over her chest and quickly jogs over not wanting to keep the impatient man waiting. “Hey Donghyun” She greets the pale man who is carrying a large empty trash can and hops up on the bed of the truck helping him to secure it back there. “Hey Eunkyung how was the diner tonight?” He asks when they finally position the trash can in a way so that it won’t fall off the truck when they drive away. “It was very busy but nothing that I couldn’t deal with”

 

“That’s great” He says messing with his recently re-bleached blonde hair, last time she saw him it was a faint pink color. “Nice hairdo” She compliments him walking over to the end of the truck and goes to jump down but he offers her a hand down from the truck bed instead. “Thanks I was getting tired of the pink” He says touching at his hair again. “I don’t pay you guys to lollygag so shut your mouths and get the ing truck packed up!” Their boss shouts making the both of the jump and Eunkyung lowly growls just wanting to punch the prick in the face. “Yes sir” They both say but she had to ground it out of trying not to curse at the man. “We only have a few more things. Let’s quickly go get them so that we can leave” Donghyun tells her putting a hand on her shoulder and she sighs before nodding her head. She just wants to go now and get away from her annoying boss, she’s just grateful that the man doesn’t go with them to the buildings that they have to clean.

 

“Okay so we have 2 work buildings, 2 mansions, and 1 banquet hall that have to be cleaned by 4:30” Donghyun gets in the driver side of the truck slamming the door behind himself and reads off the paper. “What?! We usually have until 5 or 6 to get that much work done” She exclaims before grabbing the paper from his grip and he just shrugs his shoulders before fastening his seatbelt. When she reads the contents of the paper she sighs and angrily tosses the paper back at him. “Yeah I know but what can we do?” He says grabbing the paper off his lap and starts to put the first address into the gps system. “Wake me up when we get there” She gives up being angry and leans against the cool window closing her eyes, the sound of the engine slowly lulls her into a light sleep.

 

“Eunkyung wake up” The pull of her shoulder lifts her head away from the cool glass and when the grip on her shoulder is released her head hits against the glass, it’s the pain that wakes her up. “Ow, What the hell Donghyun” She groans out rubbing the painful spot on the side of her head and looks over at the other to see him silently chuckling. “It’s not funny” She shoves his shoulder harshly before undoing her seatbelt and getting out of the truck. When her feet hit the pavement she starts to stretch out all of her muscles even standing on her tippy toes while she stretches her back, she stops when a satisfying pop can be heard and she sighs in relief. “You remind me of a cat when you do that” Donghyun says walking over from his side and slams her still open door shut. “Let’s just get working” She says smiling at him and he just nods his head.

 

“Let us”