Chapter 7

Taking Care Of 10

Wei wakes up very confused the next morning when he sees a small pale arm wrapped tightly around him. Where is he? He looks around the blurry dark room and comes to the realization that he is in the eldest room. So that must mean that the arm around him is Sunyoul’s and that he must’ve fallen asleep in his bed last night while they were talking. But where did his glasses go, even though it is dark in the room he can still tell that everything is very blurry to him.

 

He hears an alarm go off down the hall and knows that Eunkyung must be getting up now so that she can get them all awake and ready for school. Wei can hear Sunyoul mumbling next to him in his sleep and he wickedly smiles because he knows that the older is going to be woken up by the light in a few minutes. Usually he wakes up before the alarm so he helps sissy with waking everyone else up and he enjoys all the wild reactions that they have. He closes his eyes when the doorknob starts jiggling so that he won’t be blinded when the lights flick on to wreck the peaceful sleeping atmosphere.

 

Sunyoul reacts immediately when light fills the room and pulls the thick blanket up over his head starting to whine about the light, this also means that Wei gets his head covered as well.  

 

Wei manages to free his head and sits up in the bed ignoring Sunyoul’s hands trying to drag him back down. “Morning sissy” He chirps observing with blurry vision how Eunkyung turns from trying to wake the dead bear (Kuhn) and smiles at him. “Morning Wei did you sleep well in here?” She asks and he nods his head, because yeah, he surprisingly did sleep very well in here. “Good. Now do me a favor and waking up the sleeping bunny beside you while I try to wake up this bear” She says shoving Kuhn’s shoulder gaining a groan from him and Wei turns to the one hiding under the blanket. Wei grins clambering out of the bed and with two hands grasps the baby blue blanket acting as a shield and starts tugging it off of Sunyoul who is whining. Even though he is half asleep Sunyoul he has a tight grip on the blanket making it difficult for Wei to take it from him.

 

“Hyyyung” He whines shaking his arms and he can hear Eunkyung chuckling across the room. The hidden boy starts moan out stuff Wei can’t understand and is shocked when a barefoot suddenly emerges from under the mess of blue starting to kick away at him but not actually hitting him.

 

“Sunyoul stop acting like a baby and get up” Jinhoo comes out of nowhere and rips away Sunyoul’s protective layer leaving the bunny wiggling around the bed and whining about the bright light. Wei is distracted laughing at his hyung’s silly antics so he is surprised when Jinhoo suddenly half squats down in front of him so he can face him (Wei is pretty tall). His messy blonde hair is sticking up all over the place and he flashes a tired smile at Wei.

 

“You really shouldn’t sleep with these on” He says in a scolding tone as he holds up Wei’s black glasses making the 8 year old rub the back of his neck in embarrassment. “I accidently fell asleep with them on” Wei explains while Jinhoo clicks his tongue at his answer but then he softly smiles at him and carefully puts the glasses on his face.

 

“There now you can see. Don’t forget to take them off before bed” Wei nods his head and happily smiles when Jinhoo ruffles his hair before he stands up.

 

“Sunyoul get your up and out of that bed” Jinhoo says leaving Wei’s side and grabs his pillow from his bed and chucks it at Sunyoul’s head while Sunyoul was trying to get his blanket off the floor. The offended look Sunyoul shoots at Jinhoo makes Wei laugh, and at that moment Kuhn finally decided to awake from his hibernation.  

 

After eventually getting all of the high schoolers up, Eunkyung picks up Wei who was giggling over Kuhn’s tangled bed hair and carries him downstairs so they can start making everyone’s lunch for the day.

 

She doesn’t really bother with breakfast during the week, sometimes if she is in the mood she will, it’s because all of the boys eat the free breakfast their schools provide when they get to school, so that is one less stressful thing to deal with. But the schools don’t provide free school lunch so she packs them really healthy and filling lunches.

 

    Wei flicks on the lightswitch for her when they enter the kitchen and she sets him down on the counter before walking over to the pantry that she always keeps locked grabbing everything that she is going to need. It has a whole bunch of snacks and sweets in it and she knows it would all be eaten quickly if she didn’t keep a lock on it to prevent all the grabby hands from eating all of it.

 

For the high schoolers Eunkyung, with Wei’s help, makes a few sogogi kimbap rolls and after they are cut up they are put inside of their designated lunch boxes along with some simple kimchi fried rice and a bunch of different side dishes. Because they are older she will usually make some sort of kimbap or any other simple korean dish if she has the time to make it. This is because they are older and will appreciate the taste of the food instead of just wanting to eat only cookies and chips. Jinhoo and Kuhn love it and their containers are always returned home empty but sometimes for Sunyoul she will have to put something sweet in it because she knows he has a sweet tooth.

 

“Thanks noona” Sunyoul chirps taking his packed cute rilakkuma lunch box off the counter and carefully puts it in his black and green plaid backpack. “You’re welcome Sunyoul. Are the other two almost ready to go?” Eunkyung asks popping some pizza bombs that she prepared into the oven so that they will be ready when middle school and elementary kids have to wake up.

 

“Yeah they should be down in a minute. I left when Jinhoo was complaining to Kuhn about wearing his socks” He says with a chuckle before he takes a seat near Wei on one of the stools placed in front of the kitchen island and starts messing with the black haired boy’s crazy bed hair. The sight makes Eunkyung smile fondly at the two giggling boys.

 

“Eunkyung you need to tell Kuhn to stop wearing my socks. I only have the few that came with our uniform” Jinhoo complains as he enters the kitchen with a half awake Kuhn that is wearing a half grin trailing in after him. “Noona tell our brother to be quiet and stop complaining” At Kuhn’s comment Jinhoo smacks his shoulder and mumbles something under his breath to him, probably a threat, before turning and grabbing his gudetama lunch box off the counter.

 

Kuhn just rolls his eyes and grabs his kakao apeach lunch box off the counter and puts it in his black paint splattered backpack. He has noticed that Jinhoo seems to be very moody this morning. Kuhn wonders what crawled up his and died.

 

“You guys please don’t start it’s only-” She looks at the clock on the wall. “6:23 in the morning” Kuhn takes that as a victory and sticks his tongue out at Jinhoo who rolls his eyes in annoyance before walking out of the kitchen. He doesn’t bother waiting for the other two and walks out the house heading to school by himself, maybe now he will get some peace and quiet for himself so he can think.

 

“Wei stop!” The voice gains their attention making Eunkyung and Kuhn look over to where the two youngers are sitting at the counter and can see Wei doing something to Sunyoul’s hair. “Why hyung? You will look pretty” The comment makes Sunyoul’s face get hot and he knows his face must be as red as a tomato right now.

 

“What are you doing Wei?” Kuhn asks and strolls over to where they are.

 

“I’m doing Sunyoul hyung’s hair” Wei proudly answers before removing his hands from the brown hair with a accomplished look on his face. Sunyoul sits there with the tips of his ears red and a small ponytail pops out from the middle of his brown locks. Wei thought that Sunyoul would look cute with apple hair so that’s what he did to his hair and he would have to say that yes, Sunyoul does look cute with his hair like that.

 

“Good job Wei. Sunyoul looks adorable” Kuhn says ruffling the younger’s black hair making him smile and the comment makes Sunyoul blush even more. Does he really look adorable? Wei pokes Sunyoul’s red cheek to get his attention and the doe eyes connect with his with a confused look.

 

“Promise me you will keep it in your hair all day” He says holding out his pinkie and Sunyoul looks at it for a few seconds before locking his pinkie with his and stamping their thumbs together.

 

“I promise” He says and grins at Wei.

 

“I don’t want to break this moment but you should leave before you guys are late to school” Eunkyung says gaining their attention and Kuhn looks up at the clock getting shocked at the time. They only have 10 minutes left until breakfast at school ends, and Kuhn won’t be able to survive 4 long classes without that.

 

“C’mon Sunyoul!” He shouts grabbing Sunyoul’s arm lugging him out of his seat and dragging him across the house to the front door where he lets go so he can put his worn out shoes on.

 

Eunkyung grabs Wei and trails after them to the front porch where she wishes them a goodbye. “Bye hyungs!” Wei cutely shouts waving at his hyungs who disappear around the street corner.

 

“Now let’s go wake up the others” Eunkyung says and Wei nods his head.

 

The elementary and middle school starts at the same time so she just only has to wake up the remaining kids in the house, Wei would help her wake up all of them but he himself has to get ready. But usually on the way to his room he goes inside of Kogyeol, Bitto, and Gyujins’ shared room and flicks on the light inside the room so that they can wake up. Bitto is a light sleeper so he will usually wake up first and then wake up his snoring roommates.

 

Wei sleepily walks over to the closet and releases a big yawn that makes his eyes water before he opens the door so he can pick out some clothes. He removes his wrinkled sleeping shirt and replaces it with a large cyan blue sweater with thick black stripes that hangs very loosely on his body. He snuggles into the warm fluffy material enjoying the way it feels against his cold skin before he removes the long pajama bottoms he was wearing to reveal his pale legs, the cold air in the room hits them making him shiver and he quickly pulls on a pair of tight black jeans. Just so that he can help his sister with making lunch for everyone else, Wei quickly finishes with his morning routine (brushing teeth and combing hair) and grabs his backpack before he goes down the stairs taking the steps two at a time.

 

When he strolls into the kitchen he finds Eunkyung pulling out the golden brown pizza bombs he helped her make a little earlier. He greets her as he puts his simple black shoulder bag down on the kitchen table before he walks over to her side. She looks away from the hot pan and down at him. “Well don’t you look nice” She says putting a hand on top of his head and ruffling it slightly. Wei smiles at the simple display of affection he was given and in return gives his sister a hug.

 

After that the two of them get busy putting together all of the lunch boxes and like always Eunkyung puts something a little extra in Wei’s when he isn’t looking. Eunkyung thinks that Wei is too skinny but no matter the amount of food the boy eats he doesn’t gain any weight. It’s probably because he has a fast metabolism and how tall he is. Wei’s really tall for his age, even Gyujin who is the same age as him isn’t even that tall.

 

The sound of a stampede coming down the stairs signals that all the other kids are done getting ready. Wei grabs his lunch box and quietly slinks out of the way so that he doesn’t get in the way of any of the other kids. So while the others are hastily grabbing their lunches Wei carefully puts his inside of his bookbag before he heads to the front door so he can put his shoes on.

 

Bitto wordlessly appears next to him and Wei only finds out about him standing there when the silent child holds out a yogurt drink in front of Wei’s face. Wei is startled at this because he was focused on tying his shoes and didn’t expect for it to appear. Because of that he loses his balance and falls back onto his . Bitto mumbles out an apology and Wei waves it off telling him it’s fine.

 

Wei stands up dusting his off before he turns back to Bitto who looks really timid at the moment. Bitto holds up the yogurt a little higher and Wei looks at it confused for a second before realizing that the other is giving it to him and he accepts it. “Thank you” Wei says flashing Bitto a large smile that shows off his white teeth. The edges of Bitto’s lips curl up into a small smile for a second. But when the small smile disappears Wei can see something flashing in the other’s eyes and he realizes that it is distress.

 

Wei opens his mouth to ask him what’s wrong but is cut off when all the others emerge from the kitchen talking loudly. When he looks back at where Bitto is he finds him gone from the spot and he glances around before spotting him standing next to Kogyeol who looks more agitated than ever. (I wanted to say “Who pissed in his cheerios” but then realized that is not something a 8 year old would say)

 

Eunkyung walks with the large group of kids one hand holding onto Xiao’s and the other one holding Hwanhee’s as they all head towards the first stop, the elementary school. When they get to the school she has Kogyeol wait by the entrance for her while she goes inside and walks the youngest ones to their classes. The older ones wave bye to her before scrambling off to their own classes or to the cafeteria. After she drops the young ones off she goes back outside and quietly walks with Kogyeol to the Middle school that is a few streets away. Like always she tells him to have a good day and waves bye even though he always ignores her. She waits until he disappears into the school with his group of friends before walking back to the large empty house.