Chapter 5

Taking Care Of 10

"You okay?" Jinhoo asks when Eunkyung walks back into the kitchen clutching her phone is a deathly tight grip. He can see right through her fake smile and notices her that her eyes look red, most likely from crying. But what would make her cry? He hasn't seen her cry since their parents death.

 

"Yeah I'm okay. I'll be right back I have to go put my phone on charge" Eunkyung walks past them before Jinhoo can ask her anymore questions. He doesn't need to know right now she will have to tell him and Kuhn later tonight before she leaves for work. The two of them will help her think of what they can do about this situation and come up with a plan to prevent anything from happening.

 

Eunkyung reaches for the doorknob to her bedroom when the door suddenly opens and a startled Sunyoul is standing in front of her. She tilts her head confused as to why he is in her room. "Sunyoul what are you doing in here?" She watches him clasp his hands behind his back and flash her what seems to be a nervous smile. "I was just returning Wei's jacket Noona, he let me borrow his because mine was dirty" She logically thinks about it for a few seconds before nodding her head and smiling down at the sweet 14 year old. It’s not like it isn’t possible because Sunyoul loves to wear baggy clothes and Wei’s clothes would obviously be bigger on him.
 

"That was nice of him. I'm glad you two are getting along. I'll let him know you returned it" She says and Sunyoul just nods his head before stepping out of the doorway so she can enter her room. Sunyoul hopes that Wei won’t call him out in his lie because then he would have a lot of explaining to do. "I will be in my room if you need me Noona" Sunyoul says before scurrying down the hall so he can escape the guilt of lying.

 

It is a little weird to her that Wei let Sunyoul borrow his jacket, especially since it has been really hot out this past week. But it's none of her business and she knows that Sunyoul would never lie to her. She shrugs her shoulders before entering her room and heads to her bedside table so she can put her dying phone on charge.

Eunkyung walks into the kitchen to see Jinhoo stirring something in a pot and Wei gathering ingredients for his older brother. She thinks the scene is adorable and stays back to watch it for a few seconds. Things would be so much easier if all of the kids could just accept Wei. "Sissy" Eunkyung smiles at Wei who noticed her and  walks up to her carrying a big box of pasta.

 

"Oh Wei, I just want to let you know that Sunyoul returned your jacket. I think it's sweet you let him borrow it" She says ruffling his hair before walking over to Jinhoo to see what he is cooking.

  Wei stands there confused because he never let Sunyoul borrow his jacket, buts it's none of his business. "Yeah I just wanted to be nice" He answers when he brings the box of pasta to Jinhoo. Wei is going to have to find Sunyoul later and ask him why he lied.

Sunyoul escapes to the bathroom and closes the door behind him leaning against it. Why did he just lie? He could've just told the truth, no, he actually couldn't tell the truth and he knows exactly why. If he tells the truth he just knows that everyone is going to hate him, that Noona is just going to send him back to the orphanage and he can't have that happen. If his own mother abandoned him for her husband then they can reject him too. He loves it here in this house and doesn't want to destroy everything just because he isn't normal.

 

It's his mother's fault he is like this, she made this mess and when it was time for her to take responsibility for it she just shoved him under the bus making herself seem innocent. She made it seem like she did nothing wrong, that it was only him that was bad. Everything went horrible for him because her new star (Sunyoul's replacement) her husband thought it was a disgusting thing to do. But he can't help the urges, he just likes they way it makes him feel. It just makes him feel comfortable with himself, even if it is in no way normal for boys to do.

Sunyoul sadly looks down at the simple pink bow in his hand that he took from his sister's room. He steps away from the bathroom door and walks up to the mirror studying himself. Everything about him is feminine looking, there isn't a manly looking part of him.

 

His honey brown eyes are large and lined with thick lashes, perfectly pink plump lips, small face with soft cheekbones, and even his voice sounds girly. Everything about him shouts girl yet he was born a boy, something he is happy about.

 

   Sunyoul doesn't want to be a girl, he just likes wearing girl clothes and ever since he was younger his mom made him wear dresses and ribbons. His mom always told him that she wanted a daughter but sadly got him instead, it hurt him, a lot.

"This is the last time" He whispers the broken promise to himself before he starts to put the pink bow in his hair. When he adjusts it perfectly he removes his hands and looks over himself. What Sunyoul sees makes him smile, he thinks he looks pretty with the very pink bow sticking out against his boy short dark brown hair. When he was younger he had extremely long hair that went to his shoulder blades, he wants to grow it back out.

 

He wishes that the dark boy clothes on his body could be replaced with bright and pretty girl ones. But the bow is just enough for him right now, the feeling of having it in his hair reminds him of a time when his mother actually loved him and that gives him a sense of comfort.

 

But that comfort is instantly replaced by fear when the bathroom door opens and Kogyeol waltzes inside.

 

Sunyoul curses himself for not locking the door because this is the worst thing that could ever happen. Why? Why now. Everything was going so well for him. Sunyoul makes eye contact with him in the mirror and he knows that Kogyeol can clearly see the bow. The two of them don't say anything for a few seconds before Kogyeol's blank face turns into a look of pure distaste.

 

    "What is that?" Sunyoul's body jerks at the disgust that laces Kogyeol's voice and immediately rips the bow out of his hair not even flinching at all of the hair he pulls out with it. Sunyoul slowly turns away from the mirror and looks at his younger brother who is wearing a nasty scowl. "N-nothing" He stutters feeling tears well in his eyes as he holds the bow in a tight grip behind his back. He chews on his chapped lips drawing blood from them and trying to come up with some sort of logical excuse for having a bow in his hair. But before he can ever say anything Kogyeol strides over to Sunyoul yanking his arm from behind his back and forcefully takes the bow from his closed hand.

 

Kogyeol looks at it for a split second before angrily throwing it back at Sunyoul's face making the metal part of it scratch his cheek. "What are you a ?!" Kogyeol hisses out making him flinch and this finally makes the tears start to roll down his face.

 

"No!" He reaches out to grab at Kogyeol his voice sounding shrill and he feels hurt when his brother steps away from him like he has a disease. "Please don't tell anyone Kogyeol" He begs pathetically while wiping away at the tears that are starting to blur his vision. "Oh I won't tell anyone" Kogyeol says with a sly smile on his and Sunyoul feels glad that his younger brother won't say anything.

 

"But it will cost you" His eyes widen in surprise at the words, yet he still finds himself nodding his head rapidly, he can't let anybody else find out about his secret. So if he has to do whatever Kogyeol demands him to, he sadly will. Sunyoul meekly takes a step towards Kogyeol wanting to get comfort from the other but he just gets hurt by the cold words spat from the other. "Don't come near me, I don't want to get what you have." He watches with blurry eyes as Kogyeol turns on heel stalking out the bathroom and flinches when the door is slammed shut leaving Sunyoul alone and crying.

Sunyoul softly cradles his bleeding cheek as he slowly lowers his shaking body onto the cold bathroom floor. He must be sick, he probably does have a disease and just doesn't know it. Remembering the look Kogyeol gave him makes his heart break even more, his tears fall even faster. Is that the looks all the others will give him? Kuhn?! Eunkyung?! They won't accept him, he's not normal!

 

He wipes the snot away from his nose and glares angrily at the pink bow laying on the floor across him. Why would they accept some sick thing like him?! He isn't something to be loved, his mother made that clear to him and so has Kogyeol. Thinking of Kogyeol makes him upset again. Kogyeol, he has to listen to him or everything he worked for is over.

 

A great thought pops into his head making him smile through the tears. If he is sick, then he can just get better! Yes! That's what he can do, he can work to fix all that is wrong with him. Sunyoul starts getting excited thinking that he can just correct himself but the sad reality of his situation sits in. He has tried already, many times and each time he has failed. His sickness must be one that can't be fixed.

 

"I’m stuck like this" He sadly whispers to himself wrapping his arms around himself wanting someone, anyone to comfort him, but he knows no one will.