Chapter 2

Taking Care Of 10

Wei finds himself sitting in the middle of the staircase at 8:30 watching the tv from his spot. He was kicked out of the living room by Kogyeol but still wanted to watch tv. He doesn’t think it is fair but he can’t say anything about it as he hasn’t been living here that long. It just that there is only one tv that has cable in the house. Eunkyung had left for work an hour ago after putting Hwanhee and Xiao to bed. Jinhoo was in his room trying to talk to an upset Kuhn who hadn't left the room all day, even for dinner. "He must be hungry" Wei murmurs to himself as he picks at a stain on the carpet. That thought makes a lightbulb go off in his head. He could make something for Kuhn to eat and make him happy again!

 

Excited by his plan Wei rushes down the stairs and into the kitchen, not knowing that he gained Kogyeol’s attention. He looks into the fridge thinking of what he can make without using the stove. Eunkyung told him he wasn't aloud to use it unless he had adult supervision. The only thing he can think of making is a sandwich so he gathers all the things he needs.

With full hands he pushes the step stool in front of the counter with his feet and steps on it so he can put everything down. He grabs a glass plate from the dish strainer and fluffy white bread from the cupboard. Wei starts to assemble the best sandwich he has ever made and even gets a baggie of chips from the pantry. He almost forgets, but grabs a juice box so Kuhn won't be thirsty eating and he skillfully  balances everything in his hands.

Carefully Wei walks up the stairs making sure not to drop anything but freezes when he sees Kogyeol standing in the middle of the hall. Kogyeol notices him immediately and stalks over to him smiling creepily. "Whatcha got there killer?" He asks stepping in front of Wei blocking him any passage. "Oh a sandwich? I didn't know killers actually ate" Wei flinches when he hears him hiss out killer.

"But the thing is they don't deserve to. Because they are killers" Wei is shocked when the plate is slapped from his hands and freezes when the sound of the glass plate shattering fills the silent hall.

 

Wei can hear the confused muffled voices of the oldests from down the hall and it's followed by one pair of footsteps. He looks down at the glass surrounding his feet and looks back up to see that Kogyeol has disappeared.  Of course he would just disappear leaving the mess he created for Wei to take responsibility of.

"Wei what happened?" Jinhoo asks confused as he is the one to appear and he rushes over towards him when he sees the glass around his feet. "Do not move from that spot Wei" He says before he calls for Kuhn. "You're not cut are you?" He asks and Wei shakes his head no, at least he doesn't think he is.

 

"What were you doing?" Jinhoo now asks and Wei looks down feeling his face heat up because it seems kinda silly to him now. Kuhn could’ve just had Jinhoo get him food if he was that hungry. Wei just wanted to do something nice for the elder.

 

   "I made Kuhn hyung a sandwich because he didn't eat dinner. But I guess I lost grip of the plate and dropped it" He smoothly adds the lie to his story. "That's sweet Wei but next time ask for some help" Wei nods his head quickly. Next time he will definitely ask for some help so he can avoid Kogyeol.

 

At this time Kuhn finally shows up and asks what is going on. Jinhoo quickly explains to him how Wei made him some food but then accidently dropped the plate. Kuhn just shakes his head smirking down at Wei who looks at his hands and can feel his face getting hot.

 

Jinhoo tells Kuhn to grab Wei and bring him to the bathroom while he cleans up the glass mess. Wei enjoys the few moments that he is in Kuhn's grip before he is set down on the cold bathroom counter. He watches intrigued as Kuhn starts looking over his feet that do not have any cuts from the glass on it. "Wei I want you to tell me what actually happened" Kuhn lets go of his foot and looks up at him with a straight face.

 

"W-what?" Wei stutters out making Kuhn sigh. "Both of us know you wouldn't do something you weren't capable of. So tell me how the plate really ended up on the ground shattered" Wei gets intimidated when Kuhn stands up to his full height and looks down at him with his serious face. "I really lost grip of it" Wei puts as much honesty as he can into the false statement and didn’t hear his voice waver.

 

  Kuhn sighs running a hand through his hair. Kuhn knows that Wei is lying, it’s obvious as the kid simply at lying, but it's not like he is going to force the kid to tell him the truth. "Okay you're good to go then Wei" Wei does not hesitate for a second to jump off the counter and quickly escape from the bathroom.

 

Wei walks past Bitto in the hall and hears him whisper something but doesn't comprehend it until later when he is in the safety of his room.

"You shouldn't lie"

Does that mean Bitto saw what happened? It doesn't matter cause it's not like Bitto is going to tell anybody what happened. That hyung barely says anything, like Wooshin. Wei smiles remembering how the two were playing together at the park. Maybe, just maybe not everyone in the house hates him.