Chapter 1

Taking Care Of 10

"Sissy. It's time to get up" Eunkyung tries to ignore the shaking of her arm but the person is very persistent. "Sissy we have to make breakfast for everyone else" The thought of having to cook makes her want to bury her face deeper into the comfy comforter but instead pulls it down and sits up. She looks down at the little 8 year old beside her that just woke her up and ruffles his messy bed hair.

 

"Did you sleep good Wei?" She asks him getting out of the bed and her warm skin gets hit with a draft of cold air. Wei just hums his response while he grabs his glasses from the bedside table and puts them on making the blurry world more clear. He stretches after he gets off of the warm bed and follows his older sister into the bathroom. The two of them start their morning routine by washing their faces and brushing their teeth. While Wei flosses his teeth Eunkyung starts brushing his messy black hair to make it more presentable. "You're good to go. Now wait right here while I get ready" She picks him up and puts him on top of the counter where he waits patiently for her to finish. She knows that he is an 8 year old but he seems to like it when he is picked up unlike other 8 year olds. Eunkyung brushes her short brown hair that is sticking up in random directions managing to make it go down and ties a black bandana around it. She puts a thin layer of moisturizing cream on her face and some chapstick for her chapped lips. "Okay let's go make some breakfast" Wei nods his head hopping off the counter and following after his sister as she goes down the stairs.

"What do you want to eat?" She asks flicking on the kitchen light and she hears their feet padding across the tile as they head to the fridge. She opens it and steps a little to the side to let Wei look inside of it too.  "Eggs for sure" He says pointing at the big box containing 5 dozen eggs. In this household almost everything is bought in bulk, man I love going to Sam's Club it's the best store to exist. "I love when you make scrambled eggs. They are the absolute best" Eunkyung chuckles at how happy he sounds and pats his head affectionately. "Okay. But we can't just have eggs. So what else do you want?"

"Hmm" She watches as he pushes things a side and starts to rummage around trying to find something delicious. "Oh!" The sound escapes between his lips when he spots something amazing. "Biscuits!" He exclaims happily as he pulls out a large Pillsbury tube and presents it to her. Biscuits, eggs, and gravy because you can't have biscuits without gravy. It sounds good to her, she nods her head and smiles when Wei grins up at her. She manages to find two more tubes of biscuits in the fridge and lets Wei open them as he gave her his puppy dog eyes that she cannot deny. It's just too cute to say no to. While he opens those and gets startled by the loud popping noise they make Eunkyung preheats the oven. After Wei overfills the pans with biscuits she pops them in the oven so they can cook until golden brown. While Eunkyung starts making the gravy to go with the biscuits Wei starts cracking a bunch of eggs into a bowl for her. He really likes helping in the kitchen and Eunkyung doesn't mind the help. "Okay sissy I'm done" She turns away from the stove to see him washing his hands in the sink. "Okay I'll deal with that in a second" She continues to mess with the gravy until it is perfect and the moves it off the burner so she can make the eggs.

"Morning Noona" the deep voice doesn't even startle her as she heard his heavy footsteps on the stairs. "Oh good! Kuhn do me a favor and take out the biscuits they should be done" Kuhn nods his blond haired head listening to his older sister and heads to the oven. "Okay Wei you get to sit here" She picks up the smiling boy and places him on the counter. "Now we cook the eggs" she grabs a handful of shredded cheese and puts it into the egg mixture and mixes it before she pours it into the hot pan.

 

"Wow it smells good in here"

 

"Morning Jinhoo. Can you do me a favor and wake up all the other boys" She knows that the job can be a very difficult thing to do. "Yeah no problem sis" She gives her golden blond haired brother a look of appreciation before he turns around and heads back upstairs. "Imma go help him out. You know how the youngest ones can be" Kuhn says after he finishes starting the coffee machine and heads upstairs to help Jinhoo out. She is glad that she can always rely on those two as they are the oldest boys in the house.

 

While her and Wei finish cooking and setting plates she can hear loud voices coming from upstairs.

"Morning Bitto, Wooshin, and Gyujin" She happily greets the sleepy looking boys who step into the kitchen. "Morning Noona" Gyujin chirps back while the two other boys whisper something she can't hear and she just assumes it was a goodmorning. She is used to that as those two don't really talk much. "Did you guys sleep good?" She asks when they sit down at the table and they all nod their heads at her. Eunkyung goes over to Wooshin and helps him cut up his food while the two other boys dig into the food. "Thank you" Wooshin whispers and she ruffles his black hair. "You're welcome Wooshin" She says and looks up as two more boys walk in.

"Morning sis" The dark brown haired boy greets her with a big smile and she smiles back at him. "Morning Sunyoul. You seem happy this morning" The boy named Sunyoul nods his head quickly making his hair fall in his face and he fixes it before answering. "Uh-huh, because it's the weekend and you said we are all going to the park today" He cheerfully says clasping his hands together under his chin. "We will Sunyoul. I'm glad you're so happy" She looks at the scowling light brown haired boy standing next to Sunyoul. "Morning Kogyeol"

"Yeah morning or whatever" Kogyeol responds rudely before harshly grabbing Sunyoul's arm and dragging him to the table. "Kogyeol don't drag Sunyoul like that" She says in a scolding tone. Kogyeol just rolls his eyes letting Sunyoul go and sits in his chair before he starts eating. Oh that little brat. Eunkyung opens to call him out on his attitude.

 

"It's okay noona" Sunyoul says smiling innocently at her and she just sighs before nodding at Sunyoul. Kogyeol is lucky Sunyoul is such a sweet person.

 

Sunyoul walks around the table passing by Wei who is still standing and whispers a "morning" to him before getting to his seat. Wei smiles at Sunyoul and looks around the table to see Kogyeol glaring at him. Wei ducks his head down and stares at his barefeet. Almost everyone in the house doesn't like him but Kogyeol really, really seems to hate him. He looks over at the kitchen doorway when he hears loud laughing and sees the two youngest on Jinhoo and Kuhn's shoulders. Oh how he envies being carried so lovingly by someone. "Xiao! Hwanhee!" Eunkyung happily calls out to the two boys and walks over to the giggling boys greeting them kisses. Wei fidgets as he wishes that his sissy could do that to him. Jinhoo and Kuhn take the two young boys to their seats and Eunkyung helps them with their food.

 

They may have a large family but it's nice.

 

Xiao is the youngest one in the household being at the young age of 5 years old. He has longish chestnut brown hair that was recently cut because Hwanhee thought it would be funny to put gum in his hair. He just started kindergarten a few months ago, and his puppy eyes are something you cannot say no to. Him and Hwanhee are always teasing each other and playing pranks on the others. Overall he is just a cute kid that gets in trouble sometimes.

Hwanhee is the second youngest and is only older than Xiao by a few months. Unlike Xiao he has wavy copper blonde brown hair that makes his light brown eyes pop. He has also recently joined kindergarten and acts like an actual hyper begeal. He is very mischievous and seems to be always screaming for no reason. So overall he is very loud but adorable.  

Next is Wooshin who is only 6 years old and now attending 1st grade. He has hair that is as black as the night sky and a cute small face that matches well with his small size. He doesn't really talk that much and when he does it only comes out as a whisper. So he really doesn’t cause any trouble and is always lurking around in the corner of the rooms. Sometimes you can find him hanging out with the trouble duo (Xiao and Hwanhee). But overall is a silent kid that is really lovely.

 

Wei is an above average sized 8 year old that is a elementary 3rd grader. He is really tall for his age and he has long ebony black hair that is always falling in his face. He doesn’t have the best eyesight so he has to wear a pair of black nerd glasses that always seemed to be thrown around. Wei is also pretty quiet and always seems to want to do things independently. He feeds off of any affection but never really seeks it out. Barely anybody in the house talks to him so he is almost always found at Eunkyung’s side. Overall a charming child that likes attention.

Gyujin (aka The Forgotten Child) is also 8 years old but is a few months older than Wei and is also a 3rd grader. He is also the younger one of the middle children. He has ash brown hair that covers his intense eyebrows and makes his rounder looking face really cute. He is known as the happy virus in the house and pretends to not like it when he is fed public attention (but he actually loves it). Usually he is found smiling and happily chattering with the other boys. Overall is a very joyful child that doesn’t cause any trouble.

The older one of the middle children is Bitto who is 10 years old and is in his last year of elementary school now being a 5th grader. He also has straight black hair and his bangs stop right above his goldfish sized dark brown eyes. Surprisingly he is very pale even though he is almost always outside. Bitto is like Wooshin being that he is very quiet and doesn’t like any sudden loud noises. You can almost always find Kogyeol and him together and sometimes it’s not for anything good. His bad eyesight makes him have to wear round nerd glasses that are red and black (no not Harry Potter round). Overall a dorky looking cute kid that always looks scared with his big eyes.

Kogyeol is a 12 year old who is now a middle schooler in the 7th grade. He has light honey brown hair that for most of the time he wears styled up. He is a very innocent looking child but don’t let his looks deceive you, one might mistake him for the son of satan. He is always wearing a scowl on his attractive face and thinks that everyone is beneath him. All the time he is trying to pick a fight with the oldest ones in the house who don’t take his . Overall he is good looking but crooked child.

Sweet little Sunyoul is a small 14 year old boy who has just started scary high school as a freshman. He has dark ash brown hair that is parted by a wave down the middle and innocent doe brown-green eyes. He is literally the sweetest little thing that is constantly wearing shirts that are very loose on his small frame. He is a little more on the feminine side and has a higher pitched voice getting confused as a girl sometimes. He is always laughing his cute laugh, reading his favorite book, and acting motherly towards the other kids. Overall he is a delightful ray of sunshine who loves to read.

 

Kuhn is the second oldest out of all the boys but he acts more like the older one than Jinhoo, his biological brother does. He is a very tall 18 year old and is in his last year at high school being a senior. He has light ash golden blond hair that he usually wears styled up making him look like a mad scientist. He is very playful with all of the younger kids and falls for all of their childish games. He doesn’t get angry easily and even though it rarely happens he is in charge of discipline in the household. Usually you can find him sitting on the roof with Jinhoo listening to music or sleeping in his bed. Overall he is a silly teen that falls for his younger brothers games.

 

Jinhoo is the oldest boy in the house but is very short for his age. He is 18 years old and is only a few minutes older than his fraternal twin Kuhn. He has light golden blonde hair that he either wears above his eyes or in a side part. He is also on his last year of highschool being one of the  almighty seniors. He usually helps Eunkyung out in the kitchen as he wants to be a chef when he gets a little older. He really dislikes any type of conflict so when Kuhn and Eunkyung are having one of their disagreements he usually stays quiet. Most of the time he is watching over the younger ones while they play (sometimes he joins them) or he is on the roof too even though Eunkyung tells Kuhn and him not to go up there (she doesn’t want to worry about a hospital bill on top of other things). Overall he is very protective of the youngers and is smiling a lot.

The last person is her, Eunkyung, and she is a 20 year old who is now no longer attending college. She was living in Rhode Island attending Johnson & Wales before her parent’s death but she had to drop out moving back to Georgia to take care of her younger brothers. She didn’t even really know any of her brothers after Bitto because she moved out of the big house and in with her grandparents when she was only 14 years old. Eunkyung didn’t like the fact that her parents kept on adopting and felt like they didn’t really love her anymore, so she got jealous and left a little after they adopted Bitto. She has boy short ash brown hair that she parts on the side or wears pushed back with a ribbon. She had recently gotten it cut because of Xiao, the five year old wouldn’t cut his gum covered hair because he was growing his hair out so it could be as long as hers. She is in charge of dealing with all of the boys in the house and even though it can be very stressful she loves all of them. Overall she has sacrificed a lot to get closer to her brothers.

Their parents died 4 months ago in a car accident where a drunk driver hit them and their car wrapped around a tree when they lost control of it. That was the day that Wei had joined their large family. She remembers her parents walking through the door with a crying boy and at first she was confused by the situation. Because her parents didn't tell her they were adopting again and only asker her to come down and visit them. Wei was crying because he had left his favorite stuffed animal behind at the orphanage and so her parents decided to go back and get it for him. She was left in charge of him and all the other confused kids while they were gone but they never came back. At first she held a grudge towards Wei thinking he was the reason her parents were dead and career was over but she then realized she shouldn't be blaming a kid who did nothing wrong. The person to blame was the drunk driver that hit her parent’s car. It took a little while but Jinhoo and Kuhn stopped being so cold towards him too but they still don't really talk to him that much. She can see that almost all of the others still aren't over it and still give him the painful cold shoulder. She hasn't intervened because they are kids and she can't force them to forgive him, even if it's for something he didn't cause.

Eunkyung jumps a little when she feels someone tugging on her shirt. "Sissy are you okay?" She looks down to see Wei giving her a concerned look. "Yeah I'm fine Wei. I was just thinking" Wei smiles glad that nothing is wrong with his sister.  Eunkyung puts her cup of coffee down and swats down to his level. "Did you eat?" She asks him and he gives her a guilty look. "No I wanted to eat with you" Wei looks down at his feet shyly and fidgets with his fingers. Eunkyung smiles at how cute the little boy is being and affectionately pats his head. "Well aren't you sweet. Let's eat then cause I'm starving" Wei looks up quickly to see his sister smiling at him and his lips pull back in a large smile. The two of them enjoy their breakfast by sitting on the counter balancing their plates on their laps.

"Okay boys be good! Me and Kuhn will be back in a little bit!" Eunkyung shouts and she hears lots of "okays" come from the playground. "Jinhoo make sure none of them cause any trouble" Jinhoo looks up from his phone and nods his head at her. "Don't worry I got it under control" Eunkyung rolls her eyes when he goes back to looking at his phone. Yeah he really seems to be paying attention. "C'mon Eunkyung the sooner we leave the earlier we will be back" Kuhn says grabbing her arm and gently leading her away from the playground, but the tug on the back of her shirt stops her. She turns around confused to see Wei standing there.

 

"What is it Wei?" She politely asks looking down at him. "Can I come with you guys?" He asks flashing his puppy dog eyes making her heart melt. "Sorry buddy but not this time. We have some grown up stuff to do" Kuhn says putting a hand on Wei's shoulder making the boy frown. "Okay then. Come back soon" Wei says before turning and taking off. She sighs watching him go sit on the bench all by himself. "Just give them time" Kuhn says putting a hand on her shoulder and she nods her head before following him out of the park. They have to go talk to a their family lawyer to have a discussion about their parent's will.

Wei sadly watches as Kuhn and Eunkyung walk out of the park. He really wanted to go with them but Kuhn said he couldn't, that they were going to do grown up stuff. What type of grownup stuff could they be doing that he can’t go with them?

 

"Hey killer" Wei freezes when he hears the predatory voice and just allows his glasses to be yanked off his face and thrown into the sand pit across from him. The face that appears in front of his is blurry but he can still recognize the person.  He would know him just by the evil aura pouring off of him."What not going to speak?" He says harshly poking Wei in the forehead and Wei just simply sits there trying to keep his face blank even though he wants to flinch.

 

"Kogyeol! Jinhoo said he was going to get us ice cream!" Sunyoul shouts from over by the swings. Sunyoul can’t really see what is going on between Wei and Kogyeol but he knows that it can’t be anything good.

 

"You're lucky this time" Kogyeol says getting up in Wei's face before he stands up. "Coming!" He shouts in a cheery tone and shoves Wei harshly before stalking away. Wei lets out the breath he was holding and rubs at the sore spot Kogyeol poked him. Feeling his eyes start to water Wei covers them with his hands and tucks his legs against his chest. He hates when Kogyeol calls him that, Killer, Wei can even see it in the looks the other kids give him. They believe he is a monster, a killer and he himself is slowly starting to believe it now.

"Here" Wei looks up when he hears the soft whisper and sees a blurry figure. "Here" The person whispers again and places something in his hand. Wei realizes it's his glasses and quickly puts them on to see a blank faced black haired boy standing there. "Thank you Wooshin" Wei softly smiles at Wooshin who blankly stares at him.

 

"Uh" Wei wipes unshed tears from his eyes and uncurls his legs. "Do you want to go get ice cream?" Wei asks already knowing he isn't going to get a response and is shocked when Wooshin softly says "sure". Wei stands up and offers his hand out to Wooshin who grabs his hand making Wei grin at him. Wooshin gives Wei a small barely there smile and the two of them go get ice cream together.

"What?!" Eunkyung shouts slamming her hands on the table and stands up causing her chair to fall backwards. "Eunkyung calm down" Kuhn says standing up and putting a hand on her shoulder. "No I will not calm down Kuhn! Do you not hear what they are saying?!" She shouts at her brother who flinches at the sound. Eunkyung never really shouts so it's surprising to him. "You are not letting Wei go back to that place!" She shouts shrugging Kuhn's hand off and glaring at the 3 men sitting across from her. "Ma'am we are not taking the child away. We are simply saying that the state needs to check in and see how things are at home. If things aren't good then they will take him back to the orphanage"

"See Eunkyung calm down. They aren't taking Wei away" Kuhn says grabbing her shoulders and making her look at him. She nods her head and sighs before facing the men. "Sorry about that" She says bowing and the men just nod their heads at her. "Now if you could take a seat we could continue on with the meeting" Kuhn quickly fixes her chair and helps her into it before sitting back in his own chair. She grabs onto his hand and he rubs soothing circles into the back of her hand with his thumb. "Okay now the state isn't only concerned with the one child they are concerned for all of the adopted children in the house. They worry that there isn't enough income coming into the house. Which brings us to your parent's plan" The man on the left starts sorting through some papers in front of him before handing it off to the guy next to him who starts reading it’s contents.

"Your parents split their money into 3 sections. The first amount belongs to you Eunkyung, as their only biological child and they left you $35,000" Eunkyung's world goes blurry for a few seconds and she swears she is going to faint. How could they leave her so much money? She can just feel all the stress on her shoulders vanish into thin air. No more worrying about if they have enough food or money for clothes, they are set. "But" The guy says and the word makes her stomach painfully clench. Why must there always be some sort of condition? "You do not have access to the money until you are 22 years old"

 

22 years old..” It echoes throughout her head and when she comprehends it she feels the weight on her shoulders return feeling even more burdensome than before.

"The second amount of money belongs to each of your brothers. They get $10,000 each." The guy continues not noticing her mental breakdown and she opens to ask a question but she is silenced. "That includes the recent addition to the family. Your brothers do not get access to their own amount until they turn 21" She hears Kuhn dejectedly sigh next to her. She squeezes his hand and gives him a small smile when he looks over at her. He returns it with a smile of his own that looks more like a grimace than anything.

 

"Now your parents really thought all of this through. They were very smart when they did this last thing. As you know you never know what can happen" The two of them nod sadly, knowing exactly what he means. "So they made a plan just incase they passed away when you were young. Each month you guys will get $500 to help out" Eunkyung sighs and smiles softly. She doesn't know if the amount is enough to really help out as they spend more than that a month alone on groceries, but it's better than nothing. She sends a quick prayer up to her parents in thanks for what they have done to help them. "Okay so when will this start?" She asks and then the meeting continues on with lots of questions asked and answered. It's probably about an hour or two later that they walk out the doors feeling much better than when they walked in.

"This is really good isn't it Kuhn. Now we can get you a new pair of shoes, or Sunyoul his own school uniform. Jinhoo’s old one is way too big for him." Eunkyung looks down at Kuhn's old worn out shoes that have holes on the bottoms before looking up at Kuhn's face to see him frowning.

 

"What's wrong?" She asks putting a hand on his shoulder. He turns his face away from her. "I'm sorry I am not old enough" Kuhn feels ashamed of himself because he cannot help take some of his sister's stress. He sees her when she comes home at 6 in the morning half asleep from working two jobs. He sees when she is nearly ripping her hair out from the stress of handling the bills and wondering if they have enough money to make it. He is the one who sees her cry when the stress is simply too much for her.

 

"Kuhn look at me" Kuhn hesitantly looks at his sister and feels worse by the warm look in her hazel eyes. She really looks like their mother at times and it always makes him more upset. "Kuhn it's okay. I promise it's okay. It's me who should be sorry. I'm the one doing an awful job at supporting all of you guys" Kuhn snorts in disbelief and can feel his blood start to boil annoyed at how his sister always seems to be belittling herself.

"Stop. I don't want to hear that. You are doing the best you can at supporting 10 boys.” He put emphasis on ten because that is a lot of boys to take care of. “We have a roof over our heads and food on the table. But Eunkyung you need to let me and Jinhoo help you."

 

Eunkyung starts shaking her head at what he is saying already knowing where this is going. The two of them have already argued about this many times before. "The two of us are old enough to get jobs. Eunkyung you have to listen to me. I can see the stress eating you alive. I mean when was the last time you had a full night of sleep?!"

"No Kuhn! I already told you. You and Jinhoo are not getting jobs until you finish school. I do not want to be the reason why you guys fail school!" She doesn't want to ruin their lives. The two of them have such bright futures ahead of themselves. She doesn’t know what she is going to do about her future but she is going to do everything in her power to make sure all of her brothers are successful in life.

 

"Do you have such little faith in us?!" Kuhn shouts throwing his hands up in the air and turns away from her. She slits her eyes at him because he just can’t get it through that thick head of his that it’s more than that. "Kuhn drop it. We are ending this conversation. I've said no already and you will listen to my decision" She hates to shut her brother up but they need to stop before it blows up anymore.

"Yeah just silence me like you always do" She ignores his comment and starts walking towards the bus stop down the street. All she wants to do is go back to the kids and then go home. Kuhn follows his older sister while grumbling under his breath.

"Alright boys we're going home in 5 minutes!" Eunkyung shouts when she gets close enough to the playground. Jinhoo jumps up from his spot on the bench and walks over to them. Jinhoo can see the tension in both of their shoulders and is curious about what happened between them this time. "Did everything go fine?" He asks Eunkyung knowing that when Kuhn is angry he won't talk to him or anybody.

 

"I'll tell you when we get home." Jinhoo nods his head even though he wishes she would tell him now. "Were the boys good?" She asks looking back at the playground watching the boys play and smiles when she sees Wooshin and Wei playing on the swings together. "Yeah they were all good. I got them some ice cream because Hwanhee and Xiao were begging for it when they saw that some other kids had some. She chuckles at how cute those two are and Jinhoo smiles, glad that she doesn't look as upset anymore. He looks back at Kuhn giving him a questioning look to which Kuhn just shakes his head at him. Jinhoo is really curious as to what happened at the meeting.

The walk back home from the park was peaceful and filled with small chatter as most of the boys were tired from playing. Xiao was asleep in Jinhoo's arms and Hwanhee in Kuhn's. Eunkyung carried Wooshin who was exhausted from all of the excitement of the day and held hands with a giddy Wei. He was telling her about how him and Wooshin were playing together. The three of them took on the back part of the group where she could see everyone else and she noticed Gyujin chattering happily to Sunyoul. Sunyoul laughs loudly at what Gyujin just said and she can see Gyujin's cheeks turn red. Those two are happy as always. Next she looks to Kogyeol who is whispering something to Bitto who would occasionally nod his head and whisper something back. She was satisfied with how much of a family they all looked like, If only it could always be like this.

The moment they entered the house Kuhn put Hwanhee (who was now half awake) on the couch and stormed up the stairs.  He disappeared from her sight and a few seconds later a loud slamming noise could be heard throughout the house.

 

Wooshin jolts awake in her arms from the loud noise looking absolutely terrified. "Wooshin-ah" She softly cooes and starts to rub his back to calm him down. "It's okay, you're fine" Wooshin's scared eyes look up at her and she can see him start to calm down. Kuhn is so going to get it later. He knows that his younger brother is scared of loud noises.

 

"You okay now?" She asks Wooshin now that he has stopped shaking. "Y-yeah" He replies breathlessly and she softly smiles at him before rubbing his head. Wei looks at Bitto who is shaking and just looking really startled, he is curious why nobody is comforting him. He would but Kogyeol is next to him and he doesn’t want to get a death glare.

After finally settling all of the kids in front of the tv and hushing all of their concerns for Kuhn she heads to the kitchen with Jinhoo on her tail. She'll let Kuhn calm down for now and talk to him about his attitude later. "What happened at the meeting? Did something bad happen?" Jinhoo asks watching as Eunkyung goes to the fridge and grabs a juice box, she holds one out for him and he takes it. Both of them sip on their juice in silence for a few seconds before Eunkyung opens and tells Jinhoo about everything that happened.

"So you're saying we will be getting an extra $500 each month?" Eunkyung is glad that Jinhoo isn't going to nag at her too about letting them work. She nods her head at him and leans against the counter. "Do you think that is enough?" The question makes her sigh. "I don't know Jinhoo. But it has to be, that's all we are getting. At least until I turn 22" Jinhoo nods his head in understanding. How are they going to last two more years?