Chapter 4

Taking Care Of 10

Eunkyung is a little surprised to see Jinhoo and Wei in the kitchen talking when she walks in. She is happy that Jinhoo has accepted Wei into his heart over their love for cooking, she just wishes she could say that for all of the other boys. "Hey what are you two doing?" She asks walking over to where Wei is leaning against the counter and ruffles his hair. "Hey Eunkyung. Me and Wei were just talking about dinner" Jinhoo answers watching his sister mess with a laughing Wei.

 

He remembers when the two of them used to be like that, but things have changed between them ever since she moved out. He doesn’t know if he would still say that the two of them are close anymore because he can feel the wedge stuck between the two of them that prevents them from being close once again. It because when they were younger they would tell each other everything and he really misses having his best friend, because that was what she was to him, a best friend. Kuhn and him are very close but there are even some things that he can’t tell his younger brother and he doesn’t really have many friends at school that he is close with. So he has to keep it in and deal with it for now, hopefully he can get close with Eunkyung again.

 

"So what do you guys want to eat for dinner?" Wei opens his mouth to give his answer of spaghetti but the ringing of a phone cuts him off. Eunkyung pulls her phone out her pocket confused as to who could be calling her at this time of day and reads the caller ID. Almost instantly her nerves get shot and she almost lets out a gasp but holds it in so she doesn't worry the boys. But she didn't expect them to call her so soon, it's only been a day since the meeting.

 

"Aren't you going to answer it?" Jinhoo asks watching the inner battle taking place inside of his sister and curious as to who could be on the phone that has her so worried. "Oh yeah" She starts walking towards the sliding door. "I'm going to take this out here. I'll be back in a minute so we can start dinner" Before they can even respond she is sliding the door behind her and walking towards the tree.

 

She doesn't want any of them to overhear this conversation and get scared. But what Eunkyung doesn't know is that Bitto is still up in the tree and can hear her clearly.

She hits the answer button and nervously puts the phone up to her ear. "H-hello" She mentally cursed herself for stuttering because she needs to seem confident. "Lee Eunkyung?" The voice on the other side of the phone is a warm sounding woman but this doesn't help to calm her down at all.

 

     "This is her" Her response is weak and she hears the lady on the other side chuckle. "Hello Ms.Lee. I'm Mrs.Jones and I am the Social Worker in charge of your brothers case. I'll tell you now you have nothing to be nervous about Ms.Lee" Eunkyung breathes deeply for a second and it helps her to calm down.

 

  "Sorry, this is the first time I've had to deal with Social services" She tells the lady honestly and puts the back of her hand up to her sweaty forehead. "No need to be sorry sweetie" She nods her head even though the lady can't see her and it makes her feel a little stupid.
 

"Okay, now I really need to get straight to the point with it. We need arrange a home meeting, this is so that I can see how home life is for your brothers" Eunkyung stops herself from nodding her head and clears her dry throat before answering.

 

"Well all the boys have a busy schedule dealing with school during the week and on Sundays we all usually go out to do something together. So that only leaves any Saturday open" Well most of the time they go out and do something if they can, they didn't today because they went out to the park yesterday.

 

The trip to the park makes her remember the words that the man told her about how they can take away any of the boys and before she can stop herself she blurts out a question. "You aren't going to take any of  them away are you? Because my brothers are all happy here and I don't know what I would do without them"

Bitto's eyes widened in surprise and he has to grab the branch in front of him to stop himself from falling out of the tree. Are they really going to be taken away? No, Eunkyung won't let any of them be taken away. Right? He hates how he questions his sister's love for all of them, it’s just he doesn't want to be taken and put back inside of an orphanage. He was two years old when he was adopted and he heard it's harder to get adopted when you are older. If he goes back he will be stuck there forever because of his age and how messed up in the head he is.

 

He shakes his head to get rid of the unwanted thoughts and goes back to focusing on the conversation, he pays more attention to Noona's reaction. If her reaction is good then they are staying a messed up family but if it's negative then it's goodbye to them.

"I can't promise that I won't take away any of your brothers. It all depends on if they have a good home life and if you can actually support all of them" Eunkyung sighs running a hand through her short ash brown hair.

 

She knows that their home life is good, at least she thinks it is. None of them have ever complained before, besides Kogyeol but he always is complaining about something. She supports them as best as she can, they always have food on the table and clean clothes. Things may have to be cut sometimes and they don't always get the new toys they want but the boys understand.

"Okay I totally understand that you need to come and see everything for yourself" Eunkyung does understand but she doesn't know what this woman's definition of the two things mean and that could lead to her family being taken from her. She just hopes that what she is doing is the best thing for all of them.

 

Eunkyung wipes away the unshed tears from the corner of her eyes and shakes her head to get rid of any negative thoughts. "So could we set this home meeting up for this upcoming Saturday?" She doesn't want all the stress of it to eat away at her for too long she already has enough stress as it is.

Bitto shuts his eyes forcing himself not to cry like his sister was almost doing a second ago. He wraps his arms around the trunk of the tree and tries to gain comfort from it, he has already cried too much today. Obviously the answer she heard wasn't the one she wanted and this means that some of us kids are going back. The very messed up ones like himself and Wooshin are most likely the first ones on the list to be shipped back. How is he going to break it to the 6 year old? No! He can't. He can't let anybody know about the conversation he just overheard because it would send everyone in the house into a panic. This is something he is going to have to deal with by himself.

"Okay, thank you and have a good day. See you on saturday" Politely Eunkyung ends the call and almost instantly her legs give out leaving her in a squatting position. She tucks her head in, her chin against her chest and she rests her forehead on her knees. Lacing her hands together while still holding her phone she puts her hands on the top of her head and sighs. It's only the sound of her heavy breathing and the tree rustling because of the wind that fills the air.

 

How is she going to deal with this? There are so many problems going on right now, Kogyeol with his attitude, Wei being out casted, and Kuhn bearing down her back about working.
 

Eunkyung stays like that for a few seconds before straightening herself out when she manages to get herself together. She needs to get dinner started and then she can stress out about this whole situation. She fixes her hair that she messed up by running her fingers through it and heads back inside with a fake smile on her face.

Bitto watches as Eunkyung disappears back into the house and waits a few minutes before climbing down the tree. He can't go back inside of the house by walking in through the back door so soon after she did, that would be very suspicious. So he walks along the side of the house getting lightly scratched by the big bushes against the old rotting fence and gets to the big white door separating the front and back yard. Nobody but him ever goes this way so it hasn't been maintained in a while. If he can't go to the tree Bitto will usually hide over here by the door. He opens the latch and closes the creaky door behind himself before walking the rest of the short distance up to the front porch.

It's weird to him that the moment he opens the front door Kogyeol sits up in the love seat with messy hair and looks dead at him. "Where were you?" Kogyeol asks making a shiver go down Bitto's spine. He fidgets in his spot, his mouth just wanting to blurt out what he overheard but he pushes it down. "I was on the porch" He softly whispers pointing at the door behind him and watches as Kogyeol nods his head at him answer. "Our conversation earlier wasn't over. You know how much I hate it when you walk away while I'm talking to you" It seems like the scowl on Kogyeol's face is always present whenever Bitto around.

"Sorry" Bitto's lips form the word but a sound doesn't escape. He recalls how Kogyeol was yelling at him earlier for putting one of his shirts in the wrong drawer and said that he is always  ing things up. Bitto knows he is messing up a lot lately because a lot has been going on in the house but he doesn't need for it to be pointed out so harshly and frequently. Every time he talks to Bitto, ‘talking’ as Kogyeol calls it more like scolding or shouting Bitto seems to walk away and cry up in his tree. But it's not like he can just stand up to Kogyeol because then it will officially be the end of him. Kogyeol is very frightening when he gets annoyed and it's like he is constantly angry at the world.

 

Bitto gets brought out of his thoughts when Kogyeol starts talking. "My bed is still a mess, go clean it for me. I will be up in a few minutes and you better be done by then" Bitto quickly nods his head making his black hair whip around him and he darts up the stairs. He can't tell anybody what he heard, especially Kogyeol.