Leaving Again

World of Shadows

“Hyung, wake up.”

Joonmyeon groaned and opened his eyes blearily. “What?” he mumbled. It was still dark.

“Remember yesterday? You had to run back home because of the call in the middle of the mission.” He recognized Baekhyun’s quiet voice. “I think we should finish it as soon as possible. It’s best to go now, in the peak of dawn.”

Joonmyeon wordlessly rose, snapping into awareness. “You’re right.” Then a thought pierced his head. “Oh, Areum!”

“I told Chanyeol,” Baekhyun quickly whispered. “He’s going to make sure she’s safe while we’re gone. I told him we’re probably going to get back late tomorrow night.”

“Late tomorrow night…” the older boy echoed uncertainly.

“It’s going to be fine,” insisted Baekhyun.

Joonmyeon sighed. It wasn’t like he had a choice. “Then tell him not to dare send her to school. It’s too risky, considering that Exo-M seems to know who she is.” His voice was grim.

Baekhyun nodded. “Alright. Let’s go.”


Areum rubbed her eyes, sitting up in bed. Sehun was standing at the door. “What do you mean, he’s gone?” Areum murmured, feeling confused.

“He’s…” Sehun hesitated. “He’s gone to find out the identities of the people who attacked you. With Baekhyun Hyung," he lied. "Chanyeol Hyung says that they’re probably coming tomorrow night."

Frowning, Areum stood up. “Shouldn’t we call the police first?”

Sehun was dumbfounded for a moment. Letting the police know was a bad idea. Gangs made sure that the police had nothing to do with them. He was pretty sure the men who had set her and Joonmyeon’s house on fire eliminated every trace last night in order to avoid suspicion from unwanted people.

“Um, the police don’t do that kind of stuff.” He knew that he sounded lame. Sehun sighed. “Your brother will tell you when he gets back.” ‘Brother’ sounded weird in his ears when he knew that Joonmyeon wasn’t her real brother.

“For now, come out and eat breakfast.” He led her out to the dining table, where Kai and Chanyeol were already seated.

Areum silently sat down and Sehun pulled up a chair next to her. D.O. came out of the kitchen with plates of omelet. He placed one in front of the girl.

Wide-eyed, Areum stared at the picture-perfect dish. It looked delicious enough to make a full person hungry. “You cook almost as well as my brother!” she found herself exclaiming.

That elicited a frown from D.O. “He’s better, believe me. You just insulted him by comparing him to Hyung; D.O. puts a lot of pride in his cooking,” Chanyeol whispered to Areum. “No, no, it’s alright,” he quickly added when the girl hung her head down guiltily.

Areum glanced at her watch. “Oh my gosh, Sehun, we’re going to be late for school!” she exclaimed. She began shoveling the omelet in huge chunks into like a squirrel, surprising all of the boys minus Sehun, who was quite used to her eating like that during lunch at school.

Chanyeol and Sehun exchanged glances. “Um, your brother specifically said that you shouldn’t be going to school for now. It’s not safe,” Chanyeol stated.

The corners of Areum’s mouth turned down. “That’s why we should just call the police.”

Sehun groaned as the rest of the boys gaped at her. “T-that’s a bad idea,” Chanyeol stuttered.

“Why?” Areum asked. “This could call for house break-in, vandalism, and attempt of murder.”

Everyone at the table was speechless and their breakfast was forgotten. “Uh, Areum, why don’t you use the bathroom to wash first?” Chanyeol suggested quickly.

“But-” Before she could protest, Chanyeol lifted her out of her seat and pushed her into the bathroom, shutting the door after her. When he heard water running, he sighed in relief and headed back to the table.

“Now what?” Kai muttered.

“Is there any way to distract her before Hyung comes back? Is there any excuse we could tell her?” Chanyeol hissed.

D.O. raised his hand, as if speaking out in class. “I have an idea.”


As soon as Areum stepped out of the bathroom in her school uniform from yesterday, which had dried overnight, Sehun quickly approached her. “Hey, Areum!” he said brightly. “Hyung said we should go buy you clothes today since you’ll be staying with us now.”

Areum stared at him suspiciously. “Can I call my brother first?”

Sehun tried not to wince. “He’s really busy right now, but he texted a few minutes ago to tell me to let you know that he’ll be alright. So, can we stop worrying and go to the mall right now?” he said, using aegyo. He didn’t like lying to her, but if it was for her safety, he would do it without a second thought.

The three boys in the background dropped their jaws. “What is with him?” Kai hissed. They had never seen their maknae do something as cheesy as the cute expression he was showing Areum. Later they would know that he only did it in front of Areum.

Areum was quiet for a moment. “Okay!” she finally said cheerfully.

Sehun momentarily closed his eyes in relief. At least the old Areum was back.


“Um, Areum? C-can I ask you a question?” Sehun stammered.

The girl nodded her head. She was sitting in the back of the car between Sehun and Chanyeol. D.O. was driving the car and next to him, Kai was keeping a keen eye on the outside world through the window.

“Are you scared right now?” Sehun asked, not without hesitating.

Areum thought for a moment. “Not really. I mean, I thought my heart would stop when I saw those men and I literally saw my world crumbling down when my house caught on fire, but…” Her voice faded. Her voice was quiet when she continued. “I don’t know. I trust my brother and I feel safe for now. Also, it’s not like I… I haven’t been in drastic circumstances before.”

Chanyeol stiffened, understanding her. He knew that Joonmyeon had had a hard time inside the orphanage, and if a tiny girl had been there… He shuddered involuntarily and Areum gave him a quizzical look.

Sehun patted her head, making her turn back to him. “You’re brave,” he commented.

Areum frowned and slapped his arm. “I told you to stop petting me like how you would a little dog!” But inside her eyes were unshed tears. Sehun knew that she was pretending to be nonchalant about her situation.