Nightmares

World of Shadows

“This is war!” Joonmyeon thundered. He stood up, as if to run to find the attackers, but Baekhyun and Chanyeol jumped up and held him back by grabbing each of his arms. “Those-” He began spewing profanities aimed towards the men.

“At least we know one thing for sure. They weren’t Exo-M,” D.O. stated drily. He, Kai, and Sehun had lost the three surviving men in the dark alleys. An hour after Joonmyeon, Baekhyun, and Areum reached the house, they had returned with Chanyeol.

“Also, they weren’t trying to kill us,” added Kai. “If that was their plan, they would’ve used guns instead of knives. And they wouldn’t have been so quick to run off. Why would they want to draw Areum out and fight us? Are they trying to scare us? And how did they find out about her?”

Sehun, who had been checking on Areum by opening the room door a crack, suddenly flung the door wide open and ran inside. The rest of the gang in the living room gaped at where he had been.

Joonmyeon was the first to rush into Areum’s room after the maknae. “What’s wrong?” he gasped. Sehun was sitting on the lower bunk with Areum in his arms. She was trembling like a delicate leaf in the wind. A few whimpers could be heard.

“She was gasping for air in her sleep,” Sehun explained quietly. “She must’ve had a nightmare. She was also crying.”

Joonmyeon’s hands tightened into fists that trembled in anger. Baekhyun shot a worried look at him. Letting out a shaky sigh, the gang leader managed to calm himself down. “Those bastards,” he whispered. He went over to sit on the bed in front of Sehun and Areum. “Areum,” he said softly.

Areum turned from burying her face in Sehun’s chest to face him with a bleak expression and teary eyes. A pang of pain and anger shot through Joonmyeon’s heart. He vowed silently that he would track those attackers down along with his parents’ murderers and make them all pay.

When he opened his arms, Areum crawled into them and he hugged her tightly. ‘I won’t ever fail to protect you again,’ he thought bitterly.

Areum’s trembling slowly ceased. “You should go back to sleep. It’s past two in the morning,” Chanyeol said. His low voice was gentle. All the boys had crowded inside the small room, wanting to comfort the young girl.

“I can’t go to sleep.” Areum’s voice was full of woe, like a frightened little child. “I can’t bear it. Every time I close my eyes, I experience it all over again.” Joonmyeon could feel her shiver in his arms.

“Go to sleep,” he whispered in her ear. He began to gently rock her just like years ago when she had nightmares haunting her from the orphanage. “I’ll be right here beside you. Don’t worry and go to sleep.” His voice was soothing and Areum could feel herself fall into a light slumber.

As the other boys left the two, Joonmyeon murmured, “I’m sorry, Areum. I really am.”


Sehun opened the door to his former room. It was eight in the morning and D.O. had told him to wake the siblings up for breakfast. ‘Siblings…’ Sehun thought bitterly. In front of him, the two were still fast asleep, with Areum in Joonmyeon’s arms. No matter how he looked at it, he couldn’t help but feel jealousy piercing his heart.

Areum woke first and sat up. Her eyes were puffy. “Where am I?” she mumbled.

“Safe.” Sehun found himself rushing up to her and pulling her into his arms. “You’re safe. You’re in a safe place.”

When Joonmyeon awoke, Sehun led the two to the dining table. Areum stumbled into the chair next to Chanyeol.

“Are you alright?” the tall boy asked. Concern swirled in his huge eyes as he stared at her puffy eyes.

Instead of answering his question, she was gaping at the linen bandages on his arm. “What happened?”

“Oh, this?” Chanyeol lifted his arm and gave her a reassuring smile. “It’s just a small scratch. Nothing to worry about.” Baekhyun sighed quietly from across the table, remembering how much blood was gushing out of the deep wound last night when he had treated it.

Kai suddenly stood up, knocking his chair down behind him. “What’s that?” His voice was hard. He was pointing to the bandage around Areum’s neck. Her long hair wasn’t able to hide it from Kai’s sharp eyes.

D.O. exited the kitchen with plates full of rice and sausage. He gave Kai a surprised look – the boy rarely lost his cool.

“It’s nothing.” Areum self-consciously touched the bandage.

“One of the freaks had a knife to her neck,” Joonmyeon explained in a monotone. He seated himself next to her.

Kai lifted his chair back up and sat down with a bang. “Those…” He added a curse word quietly so Areum wouldn’t hear.

After a silent breakfast, Joonmyeon stood abruptly. “I’m going to find out who in the world is behind this. Baekhyun, you have the knife with you right now, right?” Baekhyun nodded. He had checked the two fallen bodies in the streets for clues to their identities and had found nothing but a knife with a golden, fancy B engraved on the handle.

“Then let’s get going. I’m pretty sure if we start asking some trustworthy people in the Underground World, we’ll be able to find out which gang it belongs to.” Joonmyeon scanned the rest of the faces, which were all surprised at the sudden call for action. “Sehun, you’re coming with us,” the older boy decided.

“Me?” Sehun pointed to himself with round eyes. Joonmyeon nodded once and marched towards the door. Baekhyun followed him. Groaning, Sehun joined the two after going over to squeeze Areum’s hand in a reassuring way. “Areum, I’ll be back soon,” he promised.

“Oppa!” Areum called after Joonmyeon. She stumbled to her feet, but Chanyeol blocked her from running with an arm. “Oppa, it’s too dangerous!” Desperation colored her voice. But the three had already disappeared.