The Fire

World of Shadows

Areum locked the door behind her, for her brother had always told her to do so after she came home from school. Her brother had a key, so she wouldn’t have to worry. Humming, she threw her backpack on the small couch in the living room. It was already getting dark outside.

‘I better make sure dinner’s ready, just in case Oppa comes home early today,’ Areum thought, just as she did every day. She walked to the kitchen, which was dark, and fumbled for the light switch. Feeling it, she flicked it on, feeling satisfied. Then she screamed.

A tall, masculine figure wearing black from head to toe, including a black ski mask that obscured his facial features, was standing next to the refrigerator, as still as a statue. Before Areum’s scream died in , he began stealthily moving towards her.

Fear shot through Areum like a bullet. Her legs felt like stone. Frozen in place, all she could do was stare at the person with wide eyes.

“Areum!” A yell pierced the air. Someone shoved past her and threw a kick at the masked man. The man dodged and the two became locked in close-combat. Areum’s eyes grew even wider. She would recognize that brown hair anywhere. It was her brother, Joonmyeon.

“Areum, run!” Joonmyeon screamed as he aimed a punch at the man. Willing her legs to move, Areum turned and began running towards the front door, which was now wide open. Adrenaline fueled her and she could feel the cold sweat of fear break out on her forehead, drenching her fringe.

 A figure smoothly stepped out of the shadows and stood in the doorway. Her heart nearly stopped. This man was identical to the first – masked and in black. Another scream fled from Areum’s lips.

“Areum!” Joonmyeon seemed to have taken care of the first stranger. He rushed past her once again and launched himself at the second man with a roar of anger.

The man removed something from his pocket. Areum saw the glint and cried out, “Watch out, he has a knife!”

Joonmyeon dodged as the man slashed the air where he had once been. With a quick uppercut, Joonmyeon knocked the man onto the ground. He kicked him to the side and turned to Areum, panting. Grabbing her hand, he began running out into the street.

When they reached it, the boom of an explosion rang out behind them. Areum’s hands automatically flew to her ears. Turning her head, she saw the flicker of flames inside her house through the open door. Her house was on fire.

“Areum!” Joonmyeon grabbed her hand against and pulled on it insistently. “We have to get away!” Areum allowed him to lead her down the street. Her mind was numb. Nothing registered in her brain. When they were several yards away, she glanced back. A drop of water fell on her cheek, making her look up. It was starting to rain.

The rain began to pour down in sheets, partially obscuring Areum’s view. However, she could still see the hungry flames devouring her little home. Tears began to mingle with the rainwater falling on her face. Was this a dream? A nightmare? Why was this happening to her?

Like a ceramic cup, she shattered and broke down sobbing. Joonmyeon pulled her into his arms and secured his black jacket over her head, although it didn’t prevent her from getting wet because of the relentless torrent. He embraced her tightly, thankful that she was in his arms, unscathed. Thankful that she was still alive.

“Areum,” he said in a soothing voice. “We can’t stay here. They’ll be back with reinforcements. We have to leave now. I know a place of my close friends’ that’s safe.” Gently, he began leading his sister away from the fiery sight.


“So you had a sister all that time and didn’t tell us?” Baekhyun cried out.

“No wonder you had a place to yourself,” D.O. added.

Joonmyeon sighed and shook his head, spraying drops of water from his hair onto the floor. “It was dangerous enough to live with her. Because of what we do, I had to hide her from the world. That is, until they found her out.” He practically spat the word “they” out in a fury. “I’m lucky enough that she’s unhurt. I managed to get there just in time.” Brotherly concern was etched onto his face.

Areum stared around at the small living room like a frightened rabbit. She could barely hear what her brother was saying. Five strange boys were scattered throughout the room, with all of them staring at her with curiousity. Joonmyeon reached over and gently removed his jacket from over her head, revealing the girl’s pale face and drenched hair to the rest.

A tall boy sitting on the couch sprung onto his feet and gaped at the newcomer. “What? Areum?”

“Sehun!” Areum’s eyes widened as she recognized him.

Kai, who was leaning against the wall, spoke out everyone’s thoughts. “How do you guys know each other?”

Areum’s eyes didn’t leave Sehun’s shocked face. “We’ve been friends at school since I entered high school.”

“You’re friends with Sehun?” Joonmyeon was unable to keep the outrage out of his voice.

Sehun had a guilty look on his face. “Um, Hyung, you never told me that you had a sister, so…”

Anger lighted up in Joonmyeon’s eyes. “You know, you hanging out with her might’ve made them suspicious and track her background.”

“It’s not his fault,” countered D.O. in a calm voice. “He had no clue Areum was your sister. We had no clue.”

Sehun was already walking to stand in front of Areum. He leaned down. His brows furrowed when he saw the hollow look in her eyes. “Are you alright? You must’ve been scared to death. Don’t worry; you’re completely safe with us. Come on, I’ll get you a towel and dry clothes.”

Frowning, Joonmyeon pushed the younger boy aside. He put a hand on his sister’s back and began to lead her to the bathroom, leaving a flabbergasted Sehun and two puddles of water.

Joonmyeon closed the bathroom door behind them and removed a towel from the stack on the steel rack. He promptly began to tousle his sister’s hair in order to dry it faster. “Could you tell me why you didn’t tell me that Sehun was your friend?” His voice was stern.

Areum bit her lip and looked away. “You told me not to make friends at school, but I felt like it was unfair. Sehun helped me a lot; when I was a freshman, he chased away all the people who bullied me.” She decided to omit the part when he beat them all up. “Also, for four years, he kept me company during school and was really nice to me.”

“There were people who bullied you?” Joonmyeon’s eyes darkened.

“Ah, there were only a few,” Areum said hastily. “Anyways, it was only for a week or so; as I said, Sehun made sure that none of them bullied me after he, um, warned them.” ‘Physically,’ she added in her head. The wounds hadn’t been severe, but one kid had been hospitalized with a broken leg. At that time, she had no clue that the quiet boy in most of her classes could be so strong, or, though she hated to admit it, violent.

“But isn’t he also your friend?” Areum asked.

Joonmyeon closed his eyes briefly. “He’s… part of my group.”

“Your group?”

“I’ll… I’ll explain it later.” He put wrapped the towel around her head and placed his hands on her shoulders. Looking into her eyes, he pleaded, “Trust me, okay?”

Areum didn’t hesitate. “Of course.”