Confession and Troubles

World of Shadows

“You’re not lying to me, are you?” Areum mumbled.

Chen shook his head furiously. He was the one who had broken out to the younger girl that the others had left to check something out for the gang leaders. “Why would I?” He gave Kai a nervous glance, but the other boy had a serious look on his face, as if thinking hard about something.

Sighing, Areum crossed her arms and leaned back against the couch. “It’s suspicious.”

“Would you like to make pizza with me? I was thinking about making something simple, like a sandwich, but I think I couldn’t stomach another one after D.O. showed me there was more to food than sandwiches from the street.” Chen stood up abruptly. “I think there was tomato sauce and cheese in the fridge. I’m sure we can make it. Let’s keep it a secret from D.O.”

“Could you start on it?” Kai spoke out. Chen was taken aback by his sudden outburst. “Please. I need to speak to Areum for a moment.”

Chen nodded slowly, confusion spreading over his features. Then he headed to the kitchen, leaving the two in the living room.

Areum tilted her head. “What is it, Kai Hyung?”

Kai sighed. He knew that he shouldn’t be doing such a thing when his Hyungs were probably preparing to fight for their lives, but his heart couldn’t wait any longer – it felt like it would burst.

He sat on the couch next to the girl and faced her completely. Putting a hand on each of her shoulders, he began to speak. “I like you.” His eyes seem to pierce her soul.

Areum stared back into his eyes, smiling. “I like you, too!”

Kai’s brow furrowed. “No, I mean that I like you in the way a boy likes a girl. I think I’ve fallen for you.”

Wide-eyed with surprise, Areum turned her head away, breaking eye contact. Her smile had disappeared. Words failed her.

“I’m not telling you to give me an answer right now. I just wanted to tell you how I felt.”

Areum turned back to him and shook her head furiously. Pain swarmed in the pools of her eyes. “No, you’re deluding yourself. You’re only saying that because I’m the only girl you have spent time with.”

“No, I’m not!” His tone held desperation and frustration. “I’ve seen tons of girls back in high school! None of them left the same impression as you did on my heart! They were all afraid of me!”

“It’s because you never allowed them know the real you! If you opened yourself up more, you would’ve been able to find the right person for you!” Areum argued. “Stop it, Kai! You’re mistaking your feelings about me for love!”

“I’m not!” he exploded. “How would you know? You’re not me!” He released her shoulders and marched away, breathing heavily.


Chanyeol pulled out a pistol from his bullet-proof vest’s inner pocket. Baekhyun, who was crouched on the ground next to him, stared critically at the small weapon.

“A pistol?” he muttered. “Against Beast’s men?” Kris predicted at least twenty men to be guarding the warehouse at night. He also told the rest that Beast’s men were trained at close combat – a gun wouldn’t do much good here unless there was a good distance between the target and the gun.

The tall boy merely loaded his pistol. “I shoot better than you,” he snapped.

Baekhyun glanced down at his knife. “Your neck,” he muttered. “A knife is way faster than loading a pistol.”

The two were hiding near the back door of the warehouse. Joonmyeon, Sehun, and Tao were supposed to enter the front doors while Xiumin and D.O. were hiding around in the area, keeping an eye on the outside of the warehouse as a whole. The other three (Kris, Luhan, and Lay) were climbing the walls and preparing to jump into the second story through the windows (Luhan had checked in advance that they weren’t bulletproof).

As soon as the siren rang, the two boys stood. “Joonmyeon Hyung’s group must’ve entered,” Chanyeol whispered. “It’s our signal.”

Swiftly, Baekhyun broke the old padlock and they entered the warehouse through the rusty back door. They immediately met two men, who gaped at them from several feet away.

Wasting no time, Chanyeol pointed his pistol towards one and shot. The man fell immediately. Baekhyun tackled the other to the floor.

“I knew the gun was faster,” Chanyeol muttered as he passed the two people fighting on the ground and headed to the hallway. His goal was the very center of the building, where he was supposed to put a bomb.


“Argh!” Kris cried out. One of the guards unexpectedly had a gun and managed to shoot the Exo-M leader in the shoulder.

“You motherfu**er!” Luhan launched himself at the man and kicked the weapon out of the broken window he had entered from. He began to repeatedly punch the man’s face.

“Are you alright?” Joonmyeon said with a gasp. He had finally met up with the Exo-M members who had entered through the windows. Sehun and Tao were taking care of the sentinels who had been guarding the front door.

“I’ll live,” Kris snapped. However, blood was gushing from the hole in his shoulder, and his face was as white as snow. Joonmyeon took off his skin-tight jacket and wrapped it tightly around the wound, trying to staunch the flow.

“I said I’ll live,” Kris grunted. “Where’s Chanyeol?”

Luhan, who was finished with the man who had the gun, pointed to the opening in the middle of the floor, which allowed them a view of the first floor. “Seems like he’s heading towards the goal.” He turned his head from side to side. “He needs someone to watch his back. Where are the stairs?”


Chanyeol ducked as the man punched the air where his face had been. Baekhyun had been right; a pistol was no match for someone so close. He hadn’t had time to reload his gun. He felt sweat drip down his forehead as he dodged another blow by pure luck. He needed to get to the huge pillar in the very center of the warehouse.

Just then, a fist appeared and punched the man straight in the side of the head. The man staggered to the side.

“Luhan!” Chanyeol exclaimed in relief.

The said boy was panting heavily, having run down the stairs. “Go!” he cried out. Then he lunged at the man, who had regained his momentum.

Without another word, Chanyeol turned and raced to the pillar. Attaching the bomb to it, he activated it. Finished, he dashed back the way he came from. Luhan was standing over the man, who was now fallen. He was still panting. Chanyeol threw an arm out and practically dragged the boy with him. “I activated it!” he shouted. “Everyone needs to get out!”

 


Hello, readers!! Comment on this new chapter! I want to hear your thoughts about Kai~ ;D

For any new readers: if you like this story, please subscribe! Also, introduce yourself below in the comments section and tell me your thoughts!

For all my old readers: Thank you SO much for enjoying this story! Love you guys!! :)