Eagle

Rarities
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
    08. Eagle      

Chen's heart felt a lot heavier than usual sitting next to Minseok today. He had been studying without taking a single break. He knew he had promised Minseok not to treat him any differently after hearing about his dad. It was tougher than he initially imagined, but realized how he would feel standing in his shoes.

From time to time, Minseok would face him and smile, his eyes a lot brighter than he had ever seen before. He still presented random facts whenever he wanted. Chen realized he had missed this more than he dared to admit.

"There is this planet that is blacker than coal. It reflects less than one percent of light reaching it and it has a mass equal to Jupiter's. Its name is some categorized blabber, but I think it deserves a full name. Just don't know what to call it."

"Can you imagine what it would be like standing on its surface? Sounds intriguing."

Minseok grinned. "We would probably not survive. Doesn't seem like a very hospitable planet honestly.

"How come you're studying math, but not astronomy? You seem to like space just as much as I do."

"Well, why aren't you studying astronomy?"

Apart from having a dad pushing me into medical school... "I don't think I'm smart enough for that."

"Same here. I like keeping the fantasy alive, studying it would be so...dry."

"You have a point." Chen closed his book and exhaled. The library would close soon. Exams were coming up and his internships at the hospital had finished. He would usually go home during cramming time, which lasted for about three weeks at his university. Most people would go home today, or at least make a decision.

"You're done?"

"Yes. Let's go. It's snowing outside."

"Can we walk around a bit? I like the snow. We'll go to that bookshop you like so much. After, I'll cook us something. Oh," his cheeks were a dark red as he grabbed his coat. "I mean, if you want to hang out today. I feel like I'm taking up so much of your time."

Chen had already decided to head towards the bookstore, his scarf nearly blocked his view. He liked to be wrapped in his winter clothing, no matter how cold it was outside. Minseok followed after putting on some gloves.

"Minseok?"

"Yeah."

"Don't say that. You know you're my only friend. I like being around you. It all depends on whether you want to hang out with me." Minseok seemed to be remembered of his healing finger. The pin had been taken out, he needed his splint for another week and then he could use his finger once again.

"Hhm. Okay. I want to hang out today. Before you go."

"Before I go?"

Their footsteps in the snow were a stark contrast with the paleness of their current world. Chen felt strangely at peace walking with him during the freezing cold. He adjusted his backpack and looked at the blackened sky. There were no stars to be seen. Cities had that effect on the sky. He felt saddened sometimes, knowing Minseok's room was a collection of stars and planets. Maybe he wished he could see them better? Chen at least wanted to. He had an idea, but pushed it to the back of his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter