[7.2] Unspoken

MiMo Oneshot Collection

Momo volunteers at an orphanage.

Wordcount: 2050


A/N: Okay so.. this story is significantly longer than I expected LOL so now it will be a three-part story. I've got 4 upcoming exams next week (Mon-Thurs), so likelihood is that I will update the last part sometime late next week.. Sorry that you guys have to wait about a week for that! ><

Also, I realised that many of you were confused about Mina's age. Here's just some rough ages that I had in mind while writing the stories: Momo (18/19), Mina (16/17), and the rest are just kids. Mina's the oldest there (and a lot older than the rest) because like I've mentioned in the previous chapter, the ones who were in the orphanage with her all got adopted, but she did not. I hope this clears things up! :)

 

===

 

They had been sitting on the swing for quite some time, and Mina has yet to let go of Momo's hand. Momo, too, held it tight, for that was the only way she could offer the other girl some form of comfort.

Suddenly, Mina loosened her grip and instead, snuggled closer to Momo. She wrapped her arms around Momo and leaned on the latter's chest. Momo was confused for a moment, but when she noticed the other girl shaking, she quickly embraced her.

Momo did not say anything. She just sat there and let Mina cry her heart out. But with every sob, her heart ached too. She did not know why Mina was crying, but it just pained her to see Mina like that.

When Mina finally calmed down, she got up, making Momo feel a moment of disappointment as Mina's warmth disappeared. Momo looked at the girl who was crying, and when she looked back and their eyes met, Momo reached out to cup Mina's cheeks and used her thumb to wipe the tearstreaks away.

Momo was not one who was good with words, so instead of using words, she just smiled at Mina. When she received a shy smile back, she realised that it was probably the best decision she had ever made - to smile instead of talk. Mina placed her hand over Momo's for a moment, before pulling it down. She then reached for something in her pocket, and Momo looked at her curiously.

It was a notepad and a pen. Scribbling something on the notepad, she showed it to Momo.

Thank you.

Momo placed her hands over Mina's and rubbed it with her thumb. "You're welcome. Find me anytime."

They stayed in that position a little longer before Mina decided to head to the washroom to wash up, not forgetting to inform Momo through the notepad of course.

So Momo was left on the swing, and it was her turn to stare into space as she wondered why Mina was crying.

"How did you do that?" A voice broke her train of thoughts. A voice that she recognised.

"Do what? I didn't do anything." Momo looked over. Indeed, it was the person she thought - Jihyo.

"Get Mina to find you and cry in your embrace. I'm gonna be honest here, in my many years of being here with her, I've never seen her done that. She always cries alone, she always preferred it that way."

"You know why she's crying?"

"Well.." Jihyo hesitated, it was not really her position to say it, but it seemed like Mina trusted Momo a lot, and the girl deserved an explanation too. "Today's her birthday."

"Then why is she crying? Birthdays are beautiful, celebrating the day someone is born."

"It's the day she was born, but also the day she was abandoned here. Since then, she's never celebrated her birthday. She doesn't think birthdays are beautiful anymore."

Momo took some time to ponder over Jihyo's words, before making a decision. "Jihyo, there's still time if we prepare now, shall we have a party then?"

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

After hastily coming up with a plan, it was decided that Momo would go out and get whatever that was required. As she was about to open the door, she felt someone pull her arm. Turning around, she realised that it was Mina who had come out from the washroom.

Mina did not have to do anything, just one look was enough for Momo to figure out what she was trying to say. Where are you going?

"I need to get something. I'll be back in an hour or two, wait for me here?"

Mina nodded, but Momo did not miss the look of disappointment on the girl's face. She must have wanted to spend time with Momo. 

Momo reached for Mina's hands and held them tight. She looked into Mina's eyes and smiled. "I'll talk to you later, alright? I promise I won't take long."

Mina stuck out her pinkie, making Momo chuckle at her childlike antics. Nonetheless, Momo hooked her pinkie with Mina's. "I promise okay? Just read your book and I'll be back before you know it."

 

 

 

***

 

 

When Momo came back, Jihyo had to distract Mina so that Momo could bring everything into the office. Mina was actually reading so there was a chance she would not have noticed, but they did not want to risk it anyway. Just like what they planned, Momo bought a cake and a book (which Jihyo said that Mina had always wanted).

As she took out the box of cake from the plastic bag, she looked out and saw that Jihyo had switched off the lights already. She hurriedly placed the candles in the cake and lighted them up, before carefully holding the cake and heading out.

Mina had shifted her focus back to her book after Jihyo walked away, saying that she had things to settle. She had barely read a few sentences when the lights suddenly went off.

There was a general state of confusion and the children started making a lot of noise, some screaming, some calling for Jihyo, some calling for Momo, and some just talking really loudly.

Then a source of light appeared from the office - the candles on the cake. It was still dark and the candles did little in revealing the person behind it, but even through the dim source of light and the faint shadows caused by it, Mina knew exactly who it was.

The children were more calm now, with only some of them questioning on whose birthday it was. As soon as Jihyo initiated the birthday song, all of them joined in, despite not knowing who they were congratulating. They watched as the person holding the cake walked towards whom they knew was the birthday girl, revealing the answer to their question.

Now that Momo was standing right in front of Mina, the candles seemed to serve their purpose better, and Mina could see Momo's face clearly. There was, however, no expression on Mina's face, as she did not know how to respond.

"Mina, I know you don't believe that birthdays are beautiful, but I just want to take this chance to hopefully change your opinion about it. This day might have another meaning for you, but I want to let you know that good things can happen on birthdays too. In fact, they are supposed to. Mina, birthdays are the occasions to show how thankful and appreciative you are to someone, and I want you to know that I'm grateful for your existence. Jihyo too, and all the kids here, we all are. Thank you for being born, Mina."

Mina looked up at Momo and smiled, her eyes welling up with tears. She felt overwhelmed, it was the first time she had heard someone saying something so sincere to her. 

"Make a wish and blow the candles?"

Upon Mina doing that, Jihyo switched on the lights again. She felt moved too, seeing her close friend so happy for the first time in a long while.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Since it was an impromptu event, it ended rather quickly once the cake was cut and shared among everyone present. The children had also took turns to wish Mina happy birthday, which made her feel very loved for once. Honestly, she had no idea that they even knew her name. She was always in her own corner and the number of times she had interacted with all of them could be counted with just one hand.

After splitting the cake, Momo took two of the plates and headed over to the table where Mina was sitting at. She gently placed it in front of Mina, who gave a thankful smile back. Just as Momo sat down, Jihyo walked over and sat with them too.

"Mina, this is for you." Jihyo passed her the book. "Sorry it's not wrapped, we didn't really have time to..."

Mina took the book with both hands, bowing a bit as she did so. It was her way of saying thank you. She read the title and her eyes widened as she realised what they had given her.

Mina was in all smiles as she flipped through the book, making the two girls who gave her the book smile too. She then looked up and bowed a few times. She was just so happy.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

It was already late in the evening, past the time that volunteers were supposed to leave, but Momo had asked permission from Jihyo to stay a little longer so she could spend more time with Mina. There was no reason in saying no since Jihyo knew Momo would not do anything she was not supposed to do, and she also knew Mina would want it anyway.

So now they were seated back at the same place as they were in the afternoon, surrounded by a different atmosphere. Mina's fingers were interlaced with Momo's once again, and she leaned her head on Momo's shoulder. They had truly gotten a lot closer that day.

"Mina, I hope you enjoyed today." 

She felt Mina nod on her shoulder and squeezed her hand a little. Momo was still learning how to interpret Mina's actions, but she figured that the girl was trying to say that she did enjoy herself.

"I'm glad you did. Oh, by the way, this is for you." Momo picked up a paper bag that she had left beside the swing when they went there.

Mina looked up, curious about what other things Momo prepared. She felt that Momo had done enough already. Taking out her notepad and scribbling on it again, she showed it to Momo.

You've given me a lot already. I can't accept anything more.

"Take it, please? I just happened to come across it and it really reminded me of you, so I got it." Momo presented the paper bag to her, her eyes full of sincerity.

Hesitantly, Mina took the bag. Whatever it was, it seemed like Momo really wanted her to have it. She looked inside the bag and took the item out. It was a penguin plush toy.

"You like it?"

Momo watched as Mina squished the plush toy slightly and her legs moved in a quick fashion. Then she looked at Momo and nodded eagerly. Momo was really relieved that Mina liked the gift, and she could not help but smile at Mina's adorable movements.

Mina wrote on her notepad again. She gave Momo a quick hug before showing her what she wrote.

Thank you so much, Momo. I love it a lot.

Momo did not give a verbal reply but just continued appreciating the wide smile that was present on Mina's face. After that day, she concluded that Mina's smile was the most beautiful one she had ever seen, and she was determined to see it more often.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Well, good things eventually have to end and likewise, the day that was possibly the best day of Mina's life so far was coming to an end with Momo leaving. Momo could almost literally see the disappointment on Mina's face when she announced that she had to leave, but as much as she wanted to she could not stay any longer, since it was getting late and her parents would be worried.

Momo was already in front of the door, and Mina was behind her since she wanted to see her off. Mina thought Momo was just going to leave, so she was slightly taken aback when the girl turned around instead.

"Mina..."

Hearing her name, Mina looked up.

"Thank you for finding me this afternoon instead of keeping everything to yourself. It really means a lot to me. If you ever need someone again, remember that I'm always here. You have my number now and you can always message me if anything, alright?"

With a nod from Mina, Momo continued, "I really have to leave now, but before that..."

Momo took a step closer to stand closer to the younger girl.

"Happy birthday again, Mina." Momo leaned in to kiss Mina's forehead, before taking a step back. She looked at Mina, who was now looking down, and her cheeks a little red.

"Goodnight, beautiful. See you soon!" 


Stay tuned for part 3. :)