[8] The Most Beautiful Thing

MiMo Oneshot Collection

The best and most beautiful things in the world must be felt with the heart.

Wordcount: 2178


It was a typical school day. I walk around in school during break, and I see everyone hanging out with their friends, chatting happily. On the contrary, I am all alone. It was not surprising, really, since I have been alone for as long as I can remember.

 

 

I sit in class, tapping my fingers impatiently as the lecturer went on and on about something I don't even understand. Well, I'm supposed to know what he's talking about, but he lost me within the first five minutes of the lessons so here I am, just waiting for the lesson to be over.

 

 

I head to my locker after realising that I had left my file inside. A poster was pasted next to my locker.

Who are YOU taking to Prom? Come to the biggest Event of the year!

I tore it out and placed it neatly in the locker. I wish I could go too, but it would just be an embarrassing situation for me since there was no one I could ask to go with me.

 

 

I made my way to class, and as I turn around the corner, I see a couple making out just a metre or two in front of me. Before I could react, they paused in the midst of their actions and looked at me. Flustered, I quickly turned, as if I did not see anything. I looked around a little, attempting to look natural before walking away, pretending like I walked the wrong direction

 

 

As I walked around, I felt a little down that everyone had someone else while I did not even have a single friend. Just then, I saw a girl walking towards me. She was alone, looking at her materials. Finally someone else who was alone, this was my chance. I took in a deep breath and put on a smile. 

"Hello."

The girl walked straight past me. Did she not hear me? I continued walking forward, though I turned my head to look at her, hoping that she would suddenly turn back. Only when she walked into the room did I give up. I could not do anything but sigh.

 

 

I walked around in school again, still hoping to make friends. Just like every other time, everyone was chatting with their own friends, and I was the only one who was alone. I turned and walked away, deciding to go back to where I usually sat at.

 

 

School finally ended, and I made my way back home. Once again, I am alone.

It takes me an hour to reach home. I open the door and walked in, locking the door behind me. The house is silent, and the atmosphere still. 

"Mom?" I called out, only to receive no response.

"Dad?"

Still no response.

I rolled my eyes and went to my room instead. What was I hoping for? It wasn't even anything unusual for no one to be home when I come back. I've always been alone, so why was I hoping that someone would be home?

I opened my bag and pulled out the prom invitation poster. I stared at it, feeling a wave of sadness overwhelming me. I would never find anyone to go prom with.

 

 

I sat at my usual seat once again, alone and away from the eyes of everyone (then again, even if I were to stand among them, no one would have noticed me). 

Suddenly, someone sat at the seat next to me. This has never happened before. I slowly looked over, and realised that it was the girl I said hello to the other day. I took a couple of seconds to gather my courage before I greeted her with a smile on my face. "Hello."

She continued reading her notes, making me feel a little disheartened. However, a part of me hoped that she was just too engrossed that she did not hear me. So, I tried again. This time, I said it louder. "Hello."

Just when I looked down, I felt her looking at me. I returned the gaze, and realised that she was smiling. She must have heard me all these while.

"Did you really not hear me?" I gave a slightly annoyed look.

I watched as a frown replaced the smile that was orginally on her face. She pointed to herself, then her ears, followed by . I was flustered and I felt guilty. It was quite rude of me all these while, she could not hear me at all.

"I-I'm sorry." I look down, pretending to continue doing what I was doing. She must be feeling offended. I kept shaking my head, disappointed at my own actions. It really was not right for me to do that.

From my peripheral vision, I see her putting something on the table between us. I look over and saw that she had written something on her book. 

It's alright. I'm Mina.

I glanced at her a little before picking up the pen to give her my reply.

I'm Momo.

I look up at her, and the smile returns on her face. I can't help but smile back. This way, I've finally made a friend.

 

 

I made my way home that day, smiling throughout the entire journey. It felt nice to have a friend.

 

 

The next day I was waiting for her at my usual seat, and when she turns up she waves to me, smiling. I do the same back to her too. I gestured to her to wait, as I took out a book from my bag and showed it to her. It was a notebook with "Momo and Mina's notebook" written on the cover. I got it specially for us to communicate. 

The smile that was on her face was more radiant than the sun. She, too, takes out something from her back. It was a notebook with pretty patterns on the cover. A book for us to communicate too.

 

 

My life became a lot happier and more meaningful after I met her. School was no longer so dreadful because I get to spend time with her. In fact, we spent a lot of time together, practically everywhere we go.

 

 

We sat on the grass as we both tried to draw what we saw in front of us. It was just another guy who was leaning onto the tree while talking to someone over the phone. She showed me her drawing, and it was beautiful. She had a talent in it. I told her it was great, giving her a thumbsup. She was happy because of my compliment, and I was happy to see her smile too. However, it also made me really anxious because I wasn't good at drawing. I quickly finished my drawing and showed it to her. I had drawn it in stickman form.

She nods her head and smiled. I realised that I was feeling anxious for nothing, she wasn't going to judge me. Our friendship was way beyond that. And so I became more thickskinned and started to insist that my drawing was indeed an accurate reflection of what we saw in front of us.

She just shook her head and laughed at me. I'm just glad to be able to make her smile.

 

 

I'm studying next to her again, and I start to feel bored. I glanced over, but she was still focused in doing her work. I grinned as an idea came to mind. I sat up straight and pretended to stretch, wanting to catch her attention, but instead all my materials that were on my lap ended up dropping. Flustered, I picked them up as quickly as possible, and just acted like I wasn't up to anything at all.

 

 

Every single day, she's always on my mind and I can't stop smiling. When I do work, on the way home, just anytime, anywhere.

 

 

I'm now sitting with her, and this time we're not studying. We were just enjoying each other's presence, and getting to know each other better.

A thought came to my mind, so I decided to write it down.

Have you ever tried speaking?

Her expression changed to a serious one, and she just shook her head.

"Why?"

She gestured to her ear and then to , explaining as if it was the most straightforward thing ever.

"But I'm sure you just-"

She shook her head and took the pen and notebook from me. 

People laugh.

I read it, and I finally understood her perspective. But I wasn't giving up.

I would never. I purposely capitalised and underlined the 'never', hoping that she would trust me in that. 

She shook her head sadly. I observed her expression and I felt extremely guilty now. She must have been laughed at many times before. I shouldn't have asked.

I'm sorry.

She shook her head again, but her expression remains a down one. I feel really bad for mentioning it.

 

 

My journey home was not as happy as usual, because it still bothered me that I made her upset. I shouldn't have touched on such a sensitive topic. 

 

 

I pasted the prom flyer on the mirror and sighed. Should I ask her?

 

 

I went to school and headed to my usual seat. But when I was a few meters away, I saw a guy sitting on my seat. He moved closer to her and she gave a slight smile.

I was a little hurt, but I realised I should give her space to make more friends. So I walked away.

 

 

I sat down elsewhere and thought over it. I should have realised that I was the only one who had no one to be with. Unlike me whom no one likes, there are also people who want to make friends with her.

I'm back to being my lonely self again.

 

 

I was doing work when my phone buzzed. I picked it up and realised it was a message from her.

Where were you today?

I wasn't feeling up to it, so I just gave a halfhearted, unenthusiastic reply.

Sick.

She replied me really quickly. I missed you!!!

It got me confused. She made a new friend, didn't she? I looked up at the flyer and smiled. Maybe she would say yes to my invitation.

 

 

I stood in front of the mirror, experimenting the different ways I could ask her. 

Maybe I could turn and wave, before showing her the notebook. I'd write 'PROM?' on it beforehand.

Or maybe I could show her the notebook, and write 'prom.' on my other hand. So it'll be like, Prom? Prom. Cool, right?

Or maybe sign language would be good. 

I rehearsed. Perhaps I'll just go with it.

 

 

I head to school with flowers in my hand. I was going to ask her.

I couldn't stop smiling. 

But I saw the same guy approach her. This time, I saw him kiss her. I quickly turned around. I lost.

I threw the flowers and walked away.

I felt defeated. I wasn't rejected, I didn't even have the chance to try. I just lost like that.

 

 

I was extremely depressed, and my mind couldn't stop replaying the scene. I couldn't even focus in class.

"Can I go to the bathroom?"

I went to the toilet to wash my face. Maybe I'd be able to focus better. 

I try to take the tissue out from the dispenser, but it ends up coming out in pieces. It made me really frustrated. Why wasn't anything cooperating with me? 

Out of anger, I hit the dispenser and the walls. Nothing was going my way.

I calmed down a little and took the tissue out from the dispenser with less force. This time, it came out whole.

 

 

I walked out of the room and walked along the corridors. The same corridor where I first said hello to her.

She came out from her room too and stood in front of me. I shook my head and headed backwards. I did not want to see her.

I was walking away when I heard a faint voice. I couldn't really hear what it was saying, and it must just be my mind playing tricks with me.

But I heard a loud voice next. And that made me halt. I certainly did not imagine that. I slowly turned my head.

She was the one talking.

"He... hit... on... me... so... I... hit... him.." She spoke a word at a time, struggling to pronounce it properly.

I turned and smiled at her words. She did not agree to him.

I closed my eyes and recalled the sign language that I had learnt. You sound beautiful.

She was a little teary after I said that.

I decided to ask her out for prom right now. The moment felt right.

I closed my eyes again as I tried to form the right sentence in sign language. 

Will you go to prom with me?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She dropped the things in her hands and came running to me. The hug was more than enough as an answer.


 

A/N: Okay, disabilities again, maybe a little similar concept to the previous one but this story was based off a short film I watched (this is the link if you guys are interested, it's only 10minutes). It was quite impactful for me so I wrote a story according to it.

I also tried a new writing style, since usually I write from third person's POV. I hope it isn't too bad, haha.

I'll try to update my story soon. See you guys around :)