Three

Don't Walk Away

"Hey, Youngjae hyung." An arm hooks around Youngjae's neck before he could react and he retaliates instantly. He should have hid better, he thought momentarily as he struggles to push away the arm that has him in a tight gridlock. He's suffocating as we speak.

"Jongup, let me go!" Youngjae whines as Jongup loosen this grip for a second, only to drag him to the canteen, he grimaces. He was on his way to the library and planning to skip lunch to get some homework done, though now, he has to skip out on that too in exchange for shoveling food down his mouth as he attempts to coherently converse with people. 

He was not looking forward to this and it doesn't help that Jongup had somehow read his mind or something.

"Sorry, Youngjae hyung." Jongup says without remorse, or at leastー tries since he's always smiling and it's very hard for Youngjae to decipher what he's actually thinking. All he knows is that Jongup obeys Himchan quite well, whether this is due to their close relationship or notー the two of them are practically attached to the hip and he means that in a literal sense, mind you. 

"Himchan hyung told me to make sure you eat with us." He adds and Youngjae lets out an obvious groan. He had a bad feeling about this, especially the things they have been discussing about ever since Himchan started dating the student body president.

Once they made their way into the canteen, Jongup forced Youngjae to get in line with him while Youngjae sulks. He wasn't keen about eating in the canteen, considering how noisy and loud it is throughout the day. He just wanted to spend his quality time alone in the library and sighs.

Without pause, Jongup nudges him to the table Himchan has settled himself on and subtly rolled his eyes when Jongup follows after him with his food in tow. It would not benefit Youngjae to redirect himself to the library since he's already been spotted by Himchan, plus he would have Jongup on his tail in minutes if he decided make a run for it.

"So have you given it a thought?" Comes the question Youngjae has dreaded. To make matters worse, Jongup had already made him take a seat so he wouldn't escape from this conversation or the curiosity burning in Himchan's eyes. He really really really doesn't want to talk about it.

"So how's Yongguk hyung?" Youngjae attempts to change the subject and deviate Himchan's interest immediately before he could pry any further.

"He's fine, thanks." Himchan says, "but we're talking about you right now. Have you thought about what I told you?" 

"About what?" Youngjae knows what he's talking about but, he himself, does not want to talk about it. He chews the bottom of his lips and fringes forgetfulness, however, Himchan was not having any of it.

"Getting a boyfriend." He fills in for him while Youngjae emits a groan. He did not want to have this conversation right now. The only thing he cares about at the moment are his grades, but even that answer will not satisfy the look Himchan is giving him so instead he says the first thing that comes to mind.

"I'm waiting for the right one."

"Oh, you're one of those types. Tsk tsk. Poor soul." Jongup speaks up from his right, the loathing so evident in his voice that Youngjae couldn't help but to inquire.

"What's that suppose to mean?"

Jongup and Himchan looked at one another, as if they were communicating telepathically to each other and turned back to Youngjae. It's actually quite scary when they both do this, but Youngjae has grown use to their impeccable friendship and waits for an explanation. 

"Do you want to say it?" Himchan asks Jongup, who simply nods without question, hence he's really good at obeying the other man's demands. For whatever reason, Youngjae still wonders why Jongup likes Himchan so much.

"You're quite delusional." He nonchalantly states and it takes awhile for Youngjae to process those words without exploding.

"I'm what?!" Too late.

"You daydream about Prince Charming coming to you rather than going out to find him. It's counter productive and you know it." Himchan backs up and Youngjae could sort of see his point. But still, how in the world does that make him delusional for hoping to find the one for him? Doesn't everyone have that kind of wish? 

"What's wrong with finding the one for me? Are you saying it's impossible?" Youngjae sputters incredulously. 

"No, justー talk more, meet new people?" Himchan suggests and it takes every effort for Youngjae to not roll his eyes.

"I do that with you all the time." Youngjae defends.

"And you have rejected every single one of them." You can't blame Youngjae for this. Not all of Himchan's friends are what he could consider a significant otherー sure, they're friendly, but that's just it. They are only good as friends.

"Why does it matter if I get a boyfriend now or not? It doesn't change anything if I'm still single." He shoots back, still curious why the two of them would care as much to see him matched up with someone that he possibly doesn't even know.

"We're just looking out for you, hyung." Jongup says quietly, as if he was just caught red-handed with his hand in a cookie jar. The imagery amused Youngjae, however, he couldn't find their meddling anywhere near entertaining.

"Yeah, sure. Sounds more like getting rid of me." He brushes them off, standing up abruptly and leaving his food untouched. Knowing them, they'll finish it for him so he doesn't have to worry about it going to waste. He huffs and swings his bag over his shoulder, walking out of the canteen with hurried steps in case they decided to trail behind him. 

He understands that they're looking out for him, really he does. But is his life so miserable that they needed to give him advice on how to find someone? Someone he isn't sure even exists for him?

Running a hand through his hair, Youngjae lets out a long sigh and without noticing, he accidentally bumped into someone, causing the other person to drop whatever they were holding. 

"Ah sorry." Youngjae apologized immediately, bending down to help pick up the fallen articles along with the person. He grabbed them hurriedly and realized they were all lunch boxes, each were wrapped differently or packaged from the convenient store. 

Huh, this person must be grabbing lunch or something, Youngjae thought, collecting the rest of the items before turning to the stranger. He hands them over as the other person bowed to him gratefully. 

"Thanks."

The person muttered and it took Youngjae a moment to recognize who the person was.

It was Jung Daehyun.

 


A/N: sorry these updates are short. I'm trying not to make them too long or it'll take me years to update and I don't like to make you guys wait too long ;n; though I'd very much like to know if you guys would prefer waiting for long updates or short but faster updates :) it would be nice to hear your opinions! Thanks for reading!