guardian angel

White Smoke
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal mentally thanked her parents for her naturally athletic physique as they arrived in front of Chen and Suho’s apartment block. The boys, ing crazy they all were, had decided to sprint for the good 10 minutes or so it took to reach the house. It was probably supposed to be longer than that, but they must’ve gotten enhanced physical conditions in addition to their superpowers, since there was no way a normal human could run that fast for that long without breaking a sweat. She was slightly out of breath as they all filed into the lift, leaning on the cool surface of the lift walls for support.

 

“You alright, Krystal?” Kai nudged her lightly. She swatted his hand away from her sweaty skin, managing to pry one eye open to send him a glare. He had the ing nerve to chuckle in response, as if none of this was his fault.

 

“I—” she swallowed, “I blame all of you for this.”

 

“You need to work out more,” Chen mocked, stepping out of the lift and heading towards the door at the end of the hallway.

 

“I exercise regularly, for your information. I just don’t run with crazy superpowered beings.”

 

Chen rolled his eyes. “Excuses, excuses,” he unlocked the door of his apartment and strode in, looking around the empty living room. “Honey, I’m home!”

 

Krystal, on the other hand, made a beeline for the inviting sofa, collapsing onto it with a sigh of happiness. She could feel the soreness in her legs as she sat down. “Ugh, water, please,” she called out to no one in particular.

 

A glass of water appeared in front of her face, and it was only after she grabbed it and took a huge gulp that she realised there was, in fact, no glass at all. She gasped at let go immediately, scooting backwards into the couch. The water, instead of splashing onto the ground, remained in the form of a cup, swirling lightly.

 

It was then an unfamiliar man stood into her line of sight. He had sandy blonde hair and a very youthful features, an apologetic smile on his lips. With a wave of his hand, the water dispersed and disappeared. “Sorry for startling you,” the man began, “I’m Suho, and I have the ability of hydrokinesis.”

 

“A full self-introduction, as expected from the boss man,” Chen drawled, plopping onto the sofa. “Suho’s our leader,” he explained.

 

Krystal closed her gaping mouth as she finally reached to shake Suho’s hand. “Hi, I, uh, I’m Krystal.”

 

Suho smiled kindly. “Nice to meet you, Krystal.” He opened his mouth to say more, but was interrupted when Kai and Yixing threw themselves at him, enveloping him into a hug.

 

“There’s way too much bromance going on,” Krystal shook her head, “I can’t deal with this.”

 

“You’re just jealous,” Chen snorted, earning himself a death glare.

 

She turned to Suho again, who had finally detangled himself from the teleporter and the healer and was once again directing his attention to her. “Wait, you’re the leader? How old are you? There’s no way you’re older than Chen over here.”

 

“Hey! I totally have a babyface!”

 

“I’m a year older than Chen,” Suho told her, looking embarrassed. “Yixing and I are the same age.”

 

“And you and Kai are the same age,” Yixing supplied.

 

The brunette’s jaw dropped as she looked at the four men. “Wow. Looks really are deceiving.”

 

“You should see Xiumin,” Kai snorted. “He looks like the youngest but he’s actually the oldest one out of us.”

 

“Speaking of Xiumin,” Yixing frowned, “is he still in the Facility?”

 

Suho nodded sadly. “Him and D.O are still trapped there.”

 

The change in mood was painfully obvious, and Krystal sighed at the crestfallen expression on the boys’ faces. “They’ll make it out,” she said, earning the attention of all of them at once. “You guys did too, didn’t you? They’ll make it out fine.”

 

“Yeah,” Kai’s eyes were fiery with determination. “Even if they don’t, we’ll just go back and get them.”

 

The remaining three agreed with equal fervour, and Krystal resisted the urge to pat herself on the back for successfully changing the mood. She raised a hand instead, making them look at her questioningly. “Let’s get food,” she stated matter-of-factly.

 

Chen laughed and reached for the delivery menus scattered on the table. “I know I said this already, but I really do like you, Krystal.”

 

 

-

 

 

They managed to stay at Suho and Chen’s without any complications for the rest of the week. Suho, being a perfect gentleman, had given up his room for Krystal, and the four males had to bunk in Chen’s.

 

“We’ve slept in worse places,” Yixing assured her.

 

Chen, however, thought differently. “Ugh, I wish one of you would just date her already so you guys can share a room instead.” Kai had seemed oddly jostled by that statement, as he hurriedly pushed Chen into the room, calling a goodnight to Krystal over his shoulder.

 

Kai, Yixing, and Krystal had to stay in for the whole of the week to keep the NIS and the Facility off their trail. Meanwhile, Suho and Chen went to work as usual—it turned out Suho was working at a cafe a few blocks down from Chen’s workplace—and Krystal finally figured out the joke behind Chen working at Yoo’s Electronics. Chen had the power of electricity, she found out rather unpleasantly, as he zapped her lightly when she tripped him on purpose as he passed.

 

She screamed pretty loudly at the stinging sensation, and he wagged a finger tauntingly. “You don’t mess with the Chen and get away with it.” It was also then that Krystal decided she hated Chen the most out of the group of four.

 

“Who do you like the best then?” Yixing asked, munching on a bag of chips.

 

The brunette hummed thoughtfully. “The one that’ll go with me to sightsee around Daegu!” she announced, glancing between the four of them expectantly. “I’ve already looked up the best restaurants in the city.”

 

Kai bit his lip hesitantly. It didn’t go unnoticed by Chen, who once again had a -eating grin on his face as he kicked Kai off his chair. “Kim Jongin volunteers.”

 

Beaming at Kai, Krystal hopped off her own chair. “Let’s go then, my personal teleporter.”

 

The tips of his ears tinged red as he stood up clumsily, following her towards the door. She picked up their black caps hanging on the clothes rack by the door, fixing her own on her head before she helped him wear his.

 

“Be careful!” Suho called, “I know these past few days have been peaceful, but you guys haven’t exactly left the house either. There could be agents anywhere—”

 

“—and remember kids, don’t talk to strangers!” Chen interrupted, waving at them enthusiastically as the exited the apartment.

 

 

-

 

 

“Daegu City! Finally!” Krystal exclaimed, raising her hands up as they exited the train station. “Please remember this place, Jongin, so we can come back to it.”

 

Kai chuckled at her excitement. “Of course, milady.”

 

“Let’s go get food! There’s a really good noodle place not far from the station,” she grabbed his arm and began to pull him along. He followed willingly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter