they think you're in

White Smoke
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal tried her best to act normal when she went to university the next day. It was the last day of her examination period, meaning the last official day of the semester, and she had pointedly been trying to avoid meeting her friends to celebrate by coming up with stupid excuses. It didn’t help that Yixing had decided to skip and had, according to their mutual friends, “disappeared off the face of the earth”, since his phone was turned off and he didn’t even respond when they knocked on his door.

 

She knew better though. Kai was staying with Yixing in his room, and they were supposedly planning their route to finding their other superpowered friends. She had agreed to help them with that, and would therefore have to head back immediately after her exam.

 

She heaved a sigh as she left the examination hall. She didn’t think she did that well on that paper, considering her mind was occupied by a certain teleporter and a certain healer. Luckily, she’d already passed the unit, so the exam was not that important in the grand scheme of things.

 

“Jung Krystal?’

 

She turned, surprised, to see a woman in a suit, with two bigger sized men that seemed like guards standing behind her. The woman had black hair neatly pulled backwards into a low ponytail, shrewd eyes holding a strict, hard gaze. Krystal’s eyes were drawn to the South Korean flag pinned on the left lapel of their blazers.

 

“...Yes?”

 

“Agent Lee Jungeun, NIS,” the woman said, flashing a badge. “We have reason to believe you have been in contact with this man.”

 

She produced an A4 sized photo, and it was a grainy CCTV image of Kai exiting Krystal’s dorm room last night. Krystal gulped, eyes going from the photo to the woman’s piercing gaze.

 

“Why,” Krystal swallowed around a dry throat. “Why are you looking for him?”

 

The agent’s face darkened. “He is a dangerous man, Miss Jung. He escaped from a research facility in Busan and we have evidence that he has been committing crimes such as a murder and robbery.”

 

“What? How’s that possible? He only escaped yest—” her hand came up to , shocked at her own slip-up.

 

Agent Lee’s eyes narrowed. “We will have to take you in for questioning, Miss Jung. Please come with us peacefully.”

 

Krystal took a step back, looking around only to find that all the students had already left the exam premises. “I… I, um—”

 

The light sound of dispersing air appeared behind her, and Krystal jumped in surprise as the three NIS agents immediately raised their guns. Krystal could feel her heart palpitating in her chest—being on the opposite end of a gun barrel and all (although she was pretty sure they weren’t pointed at her).

 

A hand lightly grabbed her arm, and she jumped again involuntarily. The three agents took a step closer, fingers tightening on the trigger.

 

“Don’t do anything stupid, Kai,” Agent Lee spat.

 

Kai scoffed. “You assume your bullets can touch me.”

 

“We won’t hesitate to try.”

 

Krystal raised her hand. “I, uh… I don’t really want to get caught in the crossfire—”

 

“Time to go,” Kai abruptly whispered in her ear. He flashed the agents a smirk.

 

ln the next second, they disappeared with the sound of a collapsing vacuum, dispersing wisps of white smoke the only evidence that they were even there in the first place.

 

 

-

 

 

Teleportation felt like her body was ripped apart then put back together again, Krystal concluded. It wasn’t necessarily painful, however. It just felt like she didn’t have a physical body for a second, and in the next, she was stumbling, a pair of strong arms catching her.

 

Kai straightened her up. “You alright?”

 

She panted heavily, eyes wide. “Yeah.” She looked around to realise that she was in her dorm room. Kai was already heading to her wardrobe, opening it and pulling out her large duffel bag.

 

“Uh… what are you doing? And how did you know I kept my bags there?” Krystal asked, staring at him bewildered.

 

“Lucky guess,” he shrugged. “Start packing, we have to leave.”

 

“What? Where are we going?”

 

“We have to look for our friends.”

 

“O...kay…” she walked towards her duffel bag, picking it up and staring at like it was alien. “Are you asking to borrow my bag…?”

 

He looked at her strangely. “No, you’re coming with us.”

 

“What?!” She took a step back, shaking her head as she let out a forced laugh. “No, I’m not.”

 

Kai frowned. “You have to. You’re in as much danger as we are now. They’ll come looking for you, because they think you’re in with us.”

 

She balked at him. “But… but I’m not in!”

 

“Yes you are.”

 

“No I’m not! I’ve never said I was going to join you guys to run around looking for your other supernatural friends!”

 

Kai shrugged. Krystal really wanted to punch the nonchalant expression off his face. “Well, they think you’re in—”

 

“But I’m not!” she exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air.

 

He sighed. “Look, Krys—”

 

She screamed as her window shattered, and Kai lunged at her, bringing her into his embrace and shielding her from the broken glass. “What the ?!”

 

“Stay down, there’s a sniper shooting at us,” he told her, squinting out the window.

 

“A sniper?! Why is there a sniper?!” Krystal squeezed her eyes shut, mentally saying a prayer. She could feel tears welling up into her eyes as she shook in Kai’s arms. “Oh my God, I’m way too young to die, I haven’t even graduated uni or—or fallen in love or—”

 

“You’re not going to die, Krystal,” Kai chuckled, and she could feel his chest rumbling. “I’ll make sure of it.”

 

She looked up at him, and he grinned at her, onyx eyes shining.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter