the start of something

White Smoke
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m Chanyeol.”

“Krystal,” she smiled, shaking Chanyeol’s outstretched hand. Now that he was all cleaned up, she could see that he was a very good-looking man—big eyes, pointed nose, and a contagious grin.

Now that the worst seemed to be over, they could all finally relax and take a breather in Amber’s huge mansion. They were all sitting in the living room, fresh and clean after showering. They didn’t even need to take turns to use the bathrooms; it turned out Amber’s massive house had enough bathrooms for each of them and more.

Amber had ordered pizza for the starving group, earning herself some declarations of never-ending love, which she had waved away smugly.

Whilst some of them were lounging on the couches and the others took up seats on the floor, Krystal was standing at the back, Kai beside her like an unwavering pillar.

“I feel like I have so much to catch up on,” Chanyeol said. He couldn’t seem to stop beaming—a wide, toothy smile of genuine glee.

“First things first,” Sehun jerked his head towards Luna. “Who is she?”

“Oh, Sunyoung’s—”

“My name is Luna.” she spoke, her face an expressionless mask. “I’m Chanyeol’s sister.”

The first reaction was silence. They were all trying to process the piece of information.

“How… how is that possible? Aren’t we all orphans…?” Yixing trailed off, now unsure of his words.

“My brother was kidnapped by the Facility when we were younger.”

“The Parks!” Amber suddenly shouted, standing up from her seat on the couch. Her wide eyes met Luna’s. “You’re Park Sunyoung, right?”

Luna nodded, albeit a little hesitantly.

“Then it must’ve been because Chanyeol was kidnapped. Oh my god, it all makes sense now!”

“It only makes sense to you, Amber. The rest of us are still lost here?”

Amber held a hand up to shush Sehun. “Remember how I said the reason our three families drifted was because there was a whole lot of suspicion and rage? I didn’t really understand what the big deal was, but I get it now!” She pointed at Chanyeol. “It’s because the Parks’ son had gone missing!”

Chanyeol’s eyes seemed to enlarge, if it was even possible. “You... know me?”

“Of course! I’m Amber Liu, daughter of the Liu family. We used to play together when our families met up!”

Seeing that the pyrokinetic’s expression was still one of confusion, she explained further.

“For the newcomers, the Songs, the Lius, and the Parks were supposed to be the only three families with powers. But we all have the same powers, so our grandfathers were unsuccessfully trying to create new ones. Then, the research got stolen by the Facility and there was this huge argument.

“I never really understood it. Why couldn’t our families just work together to find and stop the Facility? Obviously, now we know they actually kidnapped Chanyeol, which must’ve been the reason the Parks cut off contact, and all of us just sorta drifted apart.”

“This is all rather… depressing…” Baekhyun mused. It was his first time hearing about this, too. “But why would they kidnap Chanyeol?”

“They probably used his DNA to allow them to create successful subjects,” Amber placed a finger on her chin. “That must’ve been the missing portion in the formula. The blood of a child in one of the original families. Chanyeol’s powers must have just begun developing then. It would’ve been possible to study the changing cells and replicate them.”

They all fell into silence then, each taking in the extent of the Facilities’ deeds.

“We need to—I need to tell my parents about this! They’ve been so upset about the whole argument thing, they still talk about the Songs and the Parks sometimes—”

“Wait,” Luna stopped Amber. “I… I still haven’t told my parents that I found oppa.”

Krystal frowned at the illusionist. “Why not?

“I… I…”

Luna looked around at the inquisitive faces. She knew in her heart that they were the ‘good guys’, but she’d been so accustomed to distrust that she couldn’t bring herself to tell them her story.

“We’re all in the same boat now, you know,” Chen said then, effectively grabbing her attention. His eyes were soft—completely void of any hostile intention. “Chanyeol’s one of us. Since you’re his sister, you’re one of us too.”

She could feel her heart twinge strangely at his words. One of them… She pushed down the butterflies in her stomach at the thought that she belonged, that she could stop pretending—she cleared and fidgeted a little to find a comfortable position on the couch.

“I’ve… been lying to them,” she confessed. “I told them I was going down to the countryside for university, but I joined the syndicate that owns the Arena. I… I thought if I could get closer to the underground circles, I would be able to get some idea about where my brother was.”

“How did you manage to get them to take you in? Surely a syndicate that big wouldn’t just let a random girl in on their secrets… No offense.” Baekhyun added when he was nudged in the side by Chen’s elbow.

“I’m an illusionist,” Luna raised a brow. “They believe what I want them to.”

“Oh… Right…”

Krystal jumped in surprise when a hand grabbed onto hers. She followed it upwards to Kai’s face. He wasn’t looking at her, but she could see the muscles in his jaw tense. She squeezed his hand comfortingly; an assurance that she was still here. Safe. Alive.

When she turned back to the group she caught Luna’s gaze, but Luna quickly turned away once they met eyes.

“Sunyoung… I’m sorry you had to go through so much…” Chanyeol’s lips quivered, his eyes watering.

“Stop being so emotional, you doofus,” Chen roughly pushed him off the couch. “I think I’ve had enough of all this heavy stuff, and all these feels,” he shuddered. “Let’s watch a movie or something. I need a break.”

Amber decided to use her advantage of being the homeowner to pick the movie. To the boys’ relief, it was a mindless action movie, and not another tear jerker.

Halfway through the movie, half the boys (and Amber) were asleep. They had been up for almost two days in a row, and it was only now that they could allow the drowsiness to take over and pull them into a much needed rest.

Of those who were awake, Luna and Chanyeol had vacated the room so she could show her brother more of their childhood memories, and Chen was chatting softly to Baekhyun in a corner.

The movie continued to play, forgotten.

Noting that no one was paying attention to him, Kai stretched an arm outwards, letting it rest on Krystal’s shoulders carefully. He blushed lightly when she looked up at him, but it quickly made way for a boyish grin at her smile.

“Let’s go somewhere else?” he whispered to her, his low voice causing her to shiver. She nodded.

The two of them stood up, earning curious glances that quickly turned into teasing smirks from Chen and Baekhyun, but Kai ignored them. He teleported himself and Krystal to her bedroom.

“Why do we always get distracted during movie time?” Krystal laughed when they arrived.

Kai chuckled a little in response. He watched her h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter