a fine line

White Smoke
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The boys were dancing.

It was her first time seeing anything like this. It was not like the fight she’d seen in the Arena—there was no brainless throwing of fists with the purpose to draw blood. Every move the boys made was calculated and purposeful. They seemed to be doing an intricate choreography, bodies flying as they took on multiple opponents at once.  

The most important thing is that they were fighting together.

Chen would throw a punch, using the momentum do a spin kick on the man trying to sneak up on Suho. Suho would bend down to sweep his leg under an enemy, and Sehun would use his back as a step to jump and punch an opponent to the ground.

They never steered too far away from each other. They were working as a team, covering each other’s weak points, having each other’s backs.

Krystal had to admit that it was pretty amazing to watch. It seemed like it was working. The Facility’s men were falling one by one, easily knocked out by the three enhanced boys. But there were just too many of them.

No matter how enhanced they were, the boys were beyond tired. There was three of them versus at least fifty men. There didn’t seem to be an end to the number of enemies.

Krystal could see Yixing and Kai fidgeting restlessly. She knew they were itching to jump into the battle with their friends. Yixing winced when Suho took a particularly hard hit.

“Go.”

Yixing turned away from the fight in surprise. Kai’s gaze was resolute. He pushed Yixing’s glowing hand away from his forehead. “I’ll be fine soon. Go help them.” Yixing hesitated. “Go!”

With a frustrated growl, Yixing dashed out of Amber’s forcefield. He was a blur on the field, a brush of his fingers on exposed skin causing men to fall immediately. Yixing knew it would not last. He would get shot soon, so he had to eliminate as many of them as possible while he still had his powers.

The sound of whistling wind caught his attention. They had started firing the darts to stop him from using his powers. He dodged as best he could, running between men so it was harder to get a clear shot, while incapacitating them with a touch.

He reached for the gap between a man’s glove and his long sleeve. Just before his fingers could touch skin, the man fell, clutching his neck with a groan. Yixing looked up in surprise. He could see another man holding a tranquiliser gun and aiming in his general vicinity, but he was firing without particular aim—there was no care for any of his comrades.

It was clear that the only goal was to rid Yixing of his powers. There was no matter whether or not the other soldiers of the Facility got shot.

Yixing’s moment of falter proved fatal, as he felt the dart impale into his neck. He grunted at the pain, pulling out the dart and tossing it away in disgust.

Without time to contemplate the contents of the counter-serum, he was approached by more men, and he twisted his body to dodge a punch. Yixing grabbed the leg of another man who tried to kick him, giving a harsh tug so he would lose his balance. He was glad these guys didn’t wear helmets, as he knocked his elbow across the man’s head to knock him out.

His back exploded in pain in the next instant.

Glaring backwards, he caught the baton before the man could take another swing, pulling himself up to kick the man across the face. He flexed his back in anger. It had been a long time since he endured pain that lasted for more than a second before he got to healing it; but there would be no healing this time.

With a yell, he attacked again with his newfound weapon.

 

 

-

 

 

 

Krystal gasped as she watch the boys take almost as many hits as they were giving.

She couldn’t just sit there while the boys were out there risking their lives. Even Amber looked like she was about to pass out, holding up such a large forcefield for so long. 

She glanced at Kai, who had his eyes shut in concentration. He was focusing on summoning as much as power as he could so he could teleport them all away, but it was difficult. Her own head was still pounding from the effects of the illusions, she knew he must be in deeper pain with the way he was forcing his teleportation to work.

Agent Lee’s card!

The thought suddenly occurring to her, she quickly pulled the card from the depths of her pocket. This was the perfect opportunity to prove the Facility were the bad guys, and there was a chance the boys could get away safely.

Checking to see no one was paying particular attention to her, she pulled out her phone to shoot a text. The headache blurred her vision, and she had to squint at the screen.

She thanked whoever invented the GPS in her mind as she sent her location through text. Just in case, however, she lifted her phone to take a picture of the fight, distorted through the blue of Amber’s forcefield. She typed a quick message with shaky fingers.

“Krystal, what are you doing?”

Krystal looked up in shock. Her thumb was hovering over the ‘send’ button.

She glanced down at her phone, then back at Amber's frown. Her face hardened in determination, and she pressed her thumb to the screen.

“I’m calling back up.”

To: Agent Lee
This is how I can prove it.
P.S. Please bring back-up.

 

 

-

 

 

 

“K—Kai, how’s the teleporting—going?” Amber panted, beads of sweat rolling down her face. Her hands were quivering, eyes losing focus. There were some men attempting to attack Amber’s forcefield with brute force, but it would not falter.

Kai frowned. “I don’t think I can take more than two people with me. And I’m not sure if I’ll be able to teleport to the place I intend to.”

“Take—take him!” Amber tilted her head towards Chanyeol, who was still lying unconscious on the ground. “You have to try, I’m not going—to be able to hold much longer!”

“But—I can’t just leave you guys in here.”

“Just go, quick! Get Chanyeol out of here, we’ll be alright.” Krystal began to push him towards the unconscious pyrokinetic. “Quick!”

“Wait! Wherever you bring him, I’m coming with.” the illusionist spoke up, crawling towards Chanyeol as she fought her paralysed body. “I—I won’t run. Please, trust me.” she grabbed onto Kai’s arm, eyes pleading. Kai looked at Krystal, who shrugged, and he grunted in annoyance.

Making no attempts to shake off the hand on his arm, he put the other arm around Chanyeol’s shoulders. He shut his eyes in concentration and pictured Amber’s mansion in his mind. Come on, come on.

White smoke began to pool.

The feeling of being pulled apart and put together again was familiar and welcoming. He opened his eyes to find himself, thankfully, in one of the many bedrooms of Amber’s mansion.

He grabbed the illusionist by her shoulders, forcing her to look into his stern gaze. “Stay here until we get back. If you dare bring Chanyeol away from here, when we find him again, I promise we won’t be so nice to you.”

She returned his words with a glare. “I told you, I won’t run.”

Kai squeezed her shoulders hard, causing her to wince in pain—a promise that he would follow up on his words if she lied. With a last glance at the unconscious Chanyeol onto the floor, he teleported back to the field.

He staggered when he landed, and groaned at the headache it had caused him.

Bang!

His eyes flew open and he instinctive

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter