fire

White Smoke
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Okay, so Chanyeol is currently held captive in an underground fighting ring in Sokcho, Gangwon-do,” Amber explained, pointing to the projected screen. It honestly didn't even surprise them anymore that Amber had an actual meeting room in her mansion. “They capture people and inject them with drugs to make them delirious and therefore fight for them. Lots of betting and money going around as a result. Apparently Chanyeol’s been winning all the fights he’s in, which makes him valuable and the bets during his fights extremely high.”

 

“But how did he get there in the first place? It doesn't make sense that they can just capture a guy with powers like that,” Krystal frowned. She didn't know the extent of the Chanyeol guy’s powers, but the flames were pretty ing scary, if she was to be completely honest.

 

Amber shrugged. “You’re right, but I have no idea either. These places keep their secrets extremely tight, you know. I only got this information because my friend’s been helping me sneak around.”

 

“Okay so, we just break in, grab him, and get out?” Sehun asked, his eyebrows pulled so deep downwards they were almost a V.

 

“...Yeah…” Amber scratched the back of her head. “But I don't think it’s going to be that simple. First we have to find out where he’s being kept. And rumours are going to be flying after this. We won’t be the only ones after him.”

 

“You mean… the NIS?” Suho whispered.

 

“I was thinking more along the lines of the Facility. It’s usually the illegal circles that circulate these rumours. They don’t reach the ears of the government.”

 

“I can just teleport in and grab him and teleport out, you know,” Kai suggested.

 

“That’ll work, but like I said, we need to figure out where he’s kept. And you need to know what the place looks like, anyway.”

 

Chen sat up straight as he understood the implication behind her words. “You mean…”

 

Amber nodded. “Time to go watch a fight.”

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Krystal narrowed her eyes as the lone motorcycle drove up the driveway into Amber’s home. Amber had said her contact was going to lead them to the Arena, which was the name of the fighting ring.

 

“What are you looking at?” she turned to see Kai’s curious expression, and nodded to the window.

 

“Amber’s contact. He’s here.”

 

Kai moved to stand beside her, and the heat that radiated off him made her feel a little less worried about the whole situation.

 

The man climbed off his motorcycle, pulling the helmet away to reveal a head of black hair. He was dressed in loose red pants, and a striped shirt over another long sleeved shirt. Krystal wrinkled her nose. She was pretty sure she’d seen something similar in a fashion magazine.

 

The main door flung open as the man approached, and Amber practically flew out, throwing her arms around the man.

 

Krystal raised a brow. “They seem pretty close.”

 

“Let’s go meet him,” Kai nudged her. She nodded and grabbed onto his arm.

 

In the next second, they were at the bottom of the stairs, right as the man walked in. Upon a closer look, she could see that the man had extremely pale and good skin, and his hair was cut into the infamous choppy bangs. His features reminded Krystal of a cat, as his lips were curled into a smirk.

 

“You don’t know how much I’m risking for you, babe,” the man was saying in English, as he and Amber proceeded to the living room. The rest of the boys had appeared as well, and they all approached together. The man raised his brows at them, but then gave a little salute. “The name’s Key, nice to meet you,” he greeted, switching to Korean.

 

They went round with the introductions, but the boys were a little too restless to exchange any more pleasantries, so Amber hurriedly spoke up.

 

“Key’s gonna bring us to where Chanyeol was, and hopefully still is.”

 

“I didn’t hear of any movements, so I’d say he’s still there. Who is he, anyway? You guys seem way too on edge,” Key remarked.

 

“He… He’s a friend,” Suho replied, eyes dark.

 

Key nodded firmly. “Let’s go then, don’t want to keep him waiting.”

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

The busy streets of Sokcho seemed even more suffocating for Krystal as they navigated around. It’d taken a few hours to get to Sokcho, as Amber had insisted on not letting Key know that they all had powers. When they reached, it was already night, but the crowd didn’t seem to diminish. If anything, there were a large increase of drunken men and women stumbling the dimly lit streets.

 

Krystal shuffled closer to Kai instinctively. He looked down at her questioningly, but she only gave a tight smile. A drunken man wandered way too close for comfort, and in an effort to dodge him, she ended up pressing her arm against Kai’s. Sensing her discomfort, Kai grabbed her by her shoulder and switched their places, so she was sandwiched between Kai and Yixing instead.

 

They ventured away from the city and deeper into the quiet streets, and she couldn't help the little shiver that ran through her.

 

“This place is creepy, isn't it?” Yixing whispered, and she couldn't help but agree.

 

Suddenly, they turned into an alleyway, coming to a stop in front of a dark stairwell. Krystal gulped. Warning signs were flashing in her head. She was pretty sure this was a prelude to danger.

 

“The place is underground,” Key explained, gesturing into the stairwell. “It’s a little rowdy and violent in there, are you sure you guys want to go in?” his question seemed to be directed to Krystal, whose fear must've been written all over her face.

 

Clearing , “let’s go,” she said, hoping her voice didn't shake.

 

Kai frowned at her and bent down to her ear. “You can wait outside here with Yixing, you know,” he said lowly. “I’d stay with you but I need to know the place to teleport to.”

 

She shook her head. “I’ll be fine.”

 

He straightened up despite the displeased expression on his face, but then offered his arm. Swallowing, she gripped onto it tightly, and they began to descend the stairs.

 

The stairs led to a heavy metal door that Key pushed open with ease, and Krystal jumped at the cacophony of sounds that burst through the opening.

 

She supposed it was what a UFC match would look like, but rowdier and more dangerous. There was a large room filled to the brim with people shouting and cheering, standing around a circular caged area. There were stands of varying heights so that everyone could have a good look at the stage. As they entered, however, a man stood in front of them, stopping them.

 

Krystal found herself tightening her grip on Kai’s arm as the man seemed to survey them. He was larger than any man she had ever seen, a scar down his face and tattoos all over his arms.

 

“Who’re ya betting on?” the man said.

 

Key didn’t seem phased. He pulled out an envelope from his pocket and placed it in the man’s hand, whispering something in his ear. The man nodded, keeping the envelope and giving Key a white card with a number printed on it.

 

The man stepped aside and Key led them to the very back, far away from most of the activity. They had a rather good view from the top, looking down at the cage. She ended up sitting between Kai and Chen.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter