Six

Going After Kim Taeyeon

A girl in pink pyjamas, in a half-pink room, on a pink bed, under a pink blanket hugging her pink pillow has been rolling from left to right since she lied down about five minutes ago, getting bored from rolling she sat up and lied down again and sat up again then got up, still hugging her pink pillow, hopped around the room like a bunny, jumped on her pink bed and rolled from left to right again.

 

“Yah! If you can’t calm down, go to sleep or go out. I’m getting a headache because of you.” The other girl on the other not pink bed in the room complained.

 

Tiffany got up and crashed her sister’s bed, eliciting a sigh from the bespectacled older girl, Michelle bookmarked the book she’s reading, pulled her glasses from her eyes and placed both safely atop her bedside table, sighed again, and faced her younger sister.

 

“I’m begging mom tomorrow, I can’t room with you anymore, now tell me about it, get it out, so you can sleep and I can go back to reading.” Michelle said, faking her annoyance.

 

Unaffected Tiffany didn’t miss a beat “Taetae’s so cute unnie! Like she was so kind and so cool! And she looked so handsome and so pretty! She was smiling at me so much and she offered to go home together whenever I have to stay for student council stuff! She was so shy but I was shy too, though she was shyer I think. And she surprised me so much I thought she was a ghost but I was so touched, she waited for me! And-“

 

“Yah! Calm down. So Taetae isn’t your imaginary friend? I’m so confused.”

 

“Psh I’m too old for imaginary friends unnie, what are you saying?”

 

“Really now?” Michelle mocked

 

Tiffany ignored her sister’s retort “Taetae is Kim Taeyeon of course, my crush” she proudly stated.

 

“But didn’t you refer to this Taetae as a ‘she’?”

 

“Yeah, cause she’s a girl duh.”

 

Michelle looked at her sister incredulously “Wow, so Taetae isn’t an imaginary friend, she is Kim Taeyeon, a girl, who’s your crush. And you’ve been talking about this Taetae since forever. Woah! I think my headache just got worse. So my little sister might be gay? You’re gay?!”

 

“Yah! Not so loud! But uhm yeah, I think so?” Tiffany said still grinning.

 

“You’re being too positive about this, it’s almost admirable. Does this Taeyeon even like girls? And how do you suppose to tell mom and dad?”

 

“She’s not my girlfriend yet, there’s nothing to tell them about. And I don’t know if she likes girls but she doesn’t have a boyfriend.”

 

“Wait, yet? Not your girlfriend yet?” Michelle looked at Tiffany with an are-you-for-real kind of expression

 

“All I made up my mind about is telling her how much I like her soon.” Tiffany blushed.

 

“I think I heard way more than enough for one night. Go back to your bed. I’m going to sleep. You can go back to thinking about your Taetae but if I hear any annoying noises I’m getting up and telling mom. Goodnight Tiff.”

 

“I’ll be quiet unnie, promise. Goodnight.”

 

The girl went back to her own bed, lied down staring at the ceiling, her mind drifting back to thoughts of Taeyeon.

 

“That’s right, we’re supposed to write a short report about the experiment earlier due Monday! We can do it over the weekend! At Taeyeon’s house! In her room! Kekekeke. Now, how do I ask her?”

 

Indecipherable noises escaped her lips due to the excitement.

 

“Tiff.” Michelle warned

 

“Goodnight Taeyeon-ah~ Please visit my dreams~~ ehehehe” Tiffany closed her eyes and tried her best to sleep.

 

 

 

The following day, Tiffany successfully made Taeyeon agree to do their report at the latter’s house on Saturday afternoon.

 

Tiffany and Jessica are walking out of school to the bus stop. They left Taeyeon on her and Sunny’s usual place by the stairs to wait for Sunny’s ride home. Tiffany asked Taeyeon if they can wait with her but the latter insisted that they go ahead cause sometimes Sunny’s driver takes time to get there, Sunny didn’t have the chance to tell Taeyeon to go with them cause she went back to the classroom to get something she forgot. After a little while of Jessica’s not so subtle glares, Tiffany obliged and said goodbye but not without throwing her own frowns at her best friend.

 

“Too bad we can’t go home together this time but whooooooo! I’m excited for tomorrow! I’ll be sure to insist on seeing your room Kim Taeyeon! Maybe I can sneak a cute photo of her out of there or something, oh a baby photo! She’s probably super cute as a baby! Hah! I’m so daebak! Ahahahahaha!”

 

“Tiff let’s not sit next to each other at the bus later.” Jessica said all of a sudden

 

“Eh? Why?”

 

“Because you look creepy right now and I’m not convinced you’ll stop anytime soon.”

 

“Yah!”

 

 

 

“It’s a good thing Jiwoong oppa won’t be here tomorrow afternoon. I’m saved from his nosiness and teasing. I just have to hide the embarrassing family albums really well and make sure everything’s neat. I have to keep my cool too, I can do this! Taeyeon fighting!”

 

A knock on her door brought Taeyeon out of her musings.

 

“Come in!”

 

“Taengoo, you finished downloading that cool new anime series right?” Jiwoong immediately asked after he opened his sister’s bedroom door.

 

“Yeah oppa, why?”

 

“Please copy them here.” Jiwoong said handing Taeyeon a flash drive. “I think I’ll start watching it tomorrow afternoon.”

 

“Huh? What about basketball practice?” Taeyeon inquired doing her best to hide her panic.

 

“Coach moved it in the early morning instead, what a hassle right? I’ll ask you for the anime files once I get home okay? Night Taeyeon-ah!” With that, her older brother exited Taeyeon’s room.

 

“It’s a huge hassle indeed. Crap I’m doomed.”