Ten

Going After Kim Taeyeon

Tiffany is spending her Sunday afternoon hanging out at her best friend’s. She just finished telling the other girl of yesterday’s events. The retelling was full of giggles, laughs and Jessica reminding Tiffany to get back to the story because the other girl kept getting sidetracked, it was easier to drown in thoughts of Taeyeon, wait, someone said something to that effect before, déjà vu, what a poor attempt at breaking the fourth wall.

 

“Honestly Tiff, just skip all this hullabaloo and ask her out.”

 

“You think she’d agree to go out on a date? With me?”

 

"I don’t think so, girl I know so and not just on a date, I bet you a hundred bucks you’ll be girlfriends if one of you manages to ask the other.” Jessica sassily replied.

 

“Really Jessie?”

 

“Why would you use someone’s picture as desktop wallpaper? She likes you the same way Tiff, believe me.”

 

 

 

What Jessie said makes sense. But can I really ask Taetae just like that? On the one hand I want her to be my girlfriend as soon as possible but thinking about it, it seems rushed. Before I gave her the vitamin drink and jelly we only ever managed to say hi to each other. She has a crush on me too? I still can’t fully believe it. Although I’m still ahead even if it’s true Taeyeon, I love you already. Tiffany slowly shifted to lie on her side facing her best friend, Jessica is already asleep beside her. They have to wake up early for school the next day, although she still have a lot on her mind Tiffany closed her eyes and slept, she can’t wait to see Taeyeon tomorrow.

 

 

 

All the students are at the gym for the regular Monday morning assembly. This week there is a change with the seating arrangement of one particular row. Usually it was ‘Hongki – Heechul – Jaejin – Sunmi – Taeyeon - Sunny – Hyomin – Hani – Jessica – Tiffany’ now it’s ‘Hongki – Heechul – Jaejin – Hani – Hyomin – Sunny – Jessica – Sunmi – Taeyeon – Tiffany’.

 

Tiffany as a student council volunteer together with their classmate Jaejin and Seohyun from the class next door, were called near the stage earlier to help out with something before the assembly started, after completing the task she walked back with Jaejin who sat beside Heechul as usual, and found a blushing Taeyeon sat furthest down the row, who was looking down at her lap next to the only seat left vacant. Tiffany’s eyes immediately darted towards her best friend who just raised an eyebrow at her and continued talking to a smirking Sunny, as if nothing had happened. Tiffany was glad to sit next to Taeyeon but was also worried for the girl, she knew Taeyeon gets really uncomfortable with teasing. Tiffany made her way towards her seat.

 

“Hey Taeyeon-ah, good morning!” She cheerfully greeted

 

“Good morning Tiffany.” Taeyeon returned the smile

 

“Are you uncomfortable sitting beside me? I can change seats with Jessie if you like.”

 

"Don’t, I’d be more uncomfortable sitting next to General Jung and besides I like sitting next to you.” Taeyeon added the last part in a soft whisper and it was Tiffany’s turn to blush.

 

Their conversation halted with the start of the assembly as the students and school staff listened to the Principal’s message, and important announcements from teachers and fellow students. Currently the Student Council President is speaking at the front encouraging interested first years to submit their formal intent to run for year representative and that the deadline is at the end of the current week. Campaign week will be next week and then election week after that.

 

“Will you run for representative this year?” Taeyeon asked Tiffany, they’re currently on their way to homeroom with their classmates, the assembly has finished.

 

“Student council is fun but I’m looking to free up my time this year, I want to try something different. I’m thinking of joining a sports club as a manager. Seohyun and Jaejin will run anyway, they can handle rep work between themselves and I’m sure we’ll elect a worthy addition.”

 

“Oh, which clubs are you considering?”

 

“Just the Girls’ Basketball Club mainly, I know a little about the sport and I think it's fun. Who knows I might even be your head manager one day ace shooting guard Kim.”

 

“What made you think I’ll join the basketball club?” Taeyeon jokingly retorted, she herself wonders where the confidence came from, she’s usually a blushing mess around Tiffany but the girl had been trying her best to put her at ease since at the start of the assembly. She didn’t realize until now how Tiffany’s warm and friendly personality had managed to make her feel comfortable enough to joke around and be her usual dorky self, although she did not expect the panicked and sad reaction.

 

“What? You won’t? But why?”

 

“Relax Manager Hwang, I’m kidding.” Taeyeon laughed a little louder when Tiffany laughed and punched her lightly in the arm.

 

 

 

Jessica invited Taeyeon and Sunny to her usual table with Tiffany during lunch dismissing it as an attempt to free up one more table at the cafeteria. The four of them were in the middle of their meal when the current basketball captain dropped by to invite Taeyeon to join the Girls’ Basketball Club, jokingly telling the short girl that she expects to see her with her club application form at the gym during club time after classes are done for the day.

 

“I know you will definitely join but I noticed you earlier and decided to extend the invite personally. I’ve seen you play more than a few times, you’re very good.” She told Taeyeon who smiled and thanked her sincerely. “And Tiffany, I mentioned to coach Choi that you are joining as a team manager, it would be great if you have free time later, you can meet her and Hana-ssi our current manager before the try-outs officially start.”

 

“Sure Unnie, I’ll be glad to meet with her as soon as I’m done with class.” Tiffany cheerfully replied, Victoria excused herself and the four of them resumed their meal.

 

 

 

Done with lunch, they were talking amongst themselves. Next period isn’t for another twenty minutes, when the chair on the other side of Tiffany was pulled back, then a guy sat down and placed his arm around Tiffany’s shoulders. The whole cafeteria seemed to have immediately quieted down, there were hushed whispers of ‘Who is that?’ ‘Wow he’s handsome’ and ‘Tiffany Hwang has a boyfriend?’ among others.

 

Time seemed to have slowed down for Taeyeon, it took her huge effort to avert her eyes from the scene, she turned to look forward at Sunny on the other side.

 

“What the?” Tiffany herself was very surprised she removed the arm from her shoulders scooted closer to Taeyeon and turned to face the unwelcomed lunch crasher, she was surprised to see her most avid suitor, his family is friends with the Hwangs, they live close to each other but he had been going at an all-boys school on the other side of town since they were kids.

 

“What are you doing here Nickhun?” Jessica asked the guy.

 

Still smiling and not taking his eyes off Tiffany, Nickhun answered Jessica “I got myself transferred at the last minute, we’re classmates now.” He smiled widely.

 

“Okay welcome to our school but please respect my privacy and don’t just touch me or go too close without permission next time. It makes me uncomfortable.”

 

“I’m sorry Tiff, it was the excitement, it won’t happen again I promise.”

 

 

 

Needless to say, it became known to the whole school that Nickhun was trying to win Tiffany Hwang’s heart. The guy is very open with his intentions and had on more than one occasion publicly displayed his affection much to Tiffany’s annoyance. It also didn’t help that Nickhun got put in their class, the rest of the classroom teases the two of them all the time that she seriously nearly blurted out ‘I like Kim Taeyeon okay!' in her loud voice, the only thing that stopped her from doing so was because she wants to tell Taeyeon first, Jessica and Michelle do not count, Tiffany Hwang logic duh.

 

What annoys her most was that Taeyeon started avoiding her too, the only time they get to talk is when they go to girls' basketball club together and during their Tuesdays and Thursdays arrangement. She is glad Taeyeon did not make any excuse and kept her word to wait for her but things changed drastically between them, every time she attempts to say something about how she feels Taeyeon manages to ignore her or turn the conversation into something else. And worst of all today’s the last day she volunteers for Student Council, there will be no more going home like this next week, three weeks passed by in a blur like that.

 

Jessica had been bugging her to do something before she losses all chance with Taeyeon as if she had not been trying her best. It’s not my fault she’s so good at cutting me off and she’s so polite at it too, if that’s even possible. Ugh Taetae how can you be so stubborn? I have to do something tonight. I can’t let this go on like this. But what to do? Tiffany continued lost in thought not listening to a word the student council members were saying as the meeting went on.