Eleven

Going After Kim Taeyeon

Taeyeon is sitting at her usual spot waiting for Tiffany. She let out another sigh, she had been sighing all day, she had been sighing all the time for the past three weeks. Sunny keeps telling her over and over how stupid she’s behaving.

 

“If Tiffany liked him, they had been official long ago Taeng!” “She’s seriously different around you only, she treats Nickhun like she does everybody else."

 

 

 

Does she really like me? It’s hard to keep smiling, why does everybody keep saying they look perfect together? Can’t they see Fany is not happy with it? And Nickhun is all smiles all the time, ugh if only it isn’t wrong to hit him in the head even just once…

 

I have to at least tell her I like her. I owe her that much and I really want to tell her too, but how? She did not avoid me even when she knew how much of a creep I’ve been. I can’t let go without doing my best. Should I tell her tonight? Not tonight, it’s so out of the blue, with the way I’ve been treating her since Nickhun showed up.

 

I didn’t treat you bad but it must’ve have been frustrating huh Fany? I’m out of my mind, I’m asking her inside my head now. The girl moved to hug her knees her head cast down. A couple of minutes went by uneventfully, silently, she’s alone waiting for Tiffany as usual but it’s never and will never be a bother she thought with a smile.

 

 

 

Is Sunny right, do you like me too? I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve asked myself this question. I won’t ever get an answer if I will never ask out loud and to the person concerned too. She shifted to look at the starry evening sky. No longer hugging her knees her palms pressed on the concrete stairs, legs stretched out.

 

 

 

Can I let this go? It’ll be easier, no judgement, no explanation. I can be her friend for all of high school, and then down the road we’re going to drift apart. We’ll be strangers. She’ll be a memory, then I’ll remember her less and less, there might even be a time when I won’t remember to remember her at all. I’ll tell myself, I’ll tell Sunny, Jiwoong, it was a phase after all. I can do that. I don’t have a doubt I can.

 

Even if I tell her I like her, if I work out the courage to. Say I get extremely lucky and be able to make her my girlfriend there’s no guarantee we won’t ever be a stranger to each other down the road. People separate all the time, it’s common. What makes Fany and I special? I don’t really see what makes us different from all those people out there.

 

 

 

Taeyeon shifted again, this time to bend both knees and rest her arms on top of them. She was about to get lost in thought for the nth time that night but then she heard footsteps, her schoolmates passing her, acknowledging her with a smile, a nod, a ‘Hey Taeyeon’, she returned every single one, stood up, fixed her eyes to the main hallway of the school building waiting for Tiffany to come out. There’s still no sight of the girl but the anticipation of seeing her made the pessimism, the practicality, whatever people may choose to call it, the thoughts flowing in her mind the entire time she was waiting there flow out of her system, almost leaving no trace, filling her heart with an unexplainable happiness instead. They have no label, they exchanged no promises, there’s a handsome boy and many others ready to grab a chance to be that special one to the other girl, why was she happy? Despite all these worries that seconds ago she was almost sure she’ll let go, turn her back on, bury somewhere deep within her, never to be acknowledged again, never to be said out loud. But there she was, standing, waiting, unconsciously courageous, positive, in love. Can I let this go? Taeyeon thought again and when she finally saw her, saw her eyes, the ones that have been telling her a lot of things all this time, things she can’t figure out still. There is always determination in Tiffany’s eyes, there’s always courage in her, Taeyeon thought.

 

 

 

Taeyeon didn’t know it at that moment, her brain hasn’t caught up yet, that she at that moment with Tiffany a few steps away from her, within reach, the other girls’ presence leaving her breathless, Taeyeon’s decision was made.

 

 

 

So she reached out her hand when Tiffany was near enough, she gave the girl’s hand a gentle squeeze, gathering the courage she wasn’t aware she had, she looked at Tiffany’s eyes then, and after a few seconds which seemed way longer than that to the both of them, Taeyeon finally opened to speak.

 

 

 

“Forgive me for how awkward this will sound. How inept my words will be.” Tiffany’s eyes are full of questions, she was about to ask them out loud.

 

“Please let me finish.” Taeyeon pleaded, she was afraid the courage might never come again if she fails to do it now. She squeezed Tiffany’s hand again, taking a deep breath she decided to stop thinking so hard, she’s going to ask, the words may not be pretty, she might not be able to say it coolly, but she decided, she will say it from the heart.

 

 

 

“I’ve liked you for a long time. The way I’m supposed to like a boy. I’ve denied it to myself many times, I always thought I won’t ever have the courage to say it out loud. I know it’s uncommon. You may not feel the same. If it gets you uncomfortable, I can promise not to bother you with it ever again, we can just be friends. I want you to answer me honestly, I won’t lie and say it’d be totally fine if you say no, but honest is still better… It will be hard. I know there’s bound to be people who will be rude to me, to you.. there’s bound to be people who will give me a hard time for just being. I don’t even know how my family will react. Even just starting with this, something so simple for others, so natural, so common, for people like me it will definitely be harder but still I can’t let this go…” Taeyeon scratched her head at that point, running out of words, she feels she’s been rambling aimlessly. No need to beat yourself up over it, yes it’s lengthy but you wanted to say all that. Just continue, finish what you started. No need to bother with being uncool, you’ve always been uncool anyway. You can do it self. I can do this.

 

 

 

Tiffany was holding back a chuckle by that point with how quickly Taeyeon’s expression was changing, even when trying to be nothing but serious the dork in her comes out somehow, Tiffany was trying her best to hold herself back from pulling Taeyeon’s hand and give her the tightest hug, she won’t, she won’t move or say anything until Taeyeon’s finished. Not a beep will come out of . Tiffany will let her pour it all out, she can wait, she’s been waiting three years what’s another hour.

 

 

 

“I sure said a lot already.” They both chuckled at that, Taeyeon can’t help the blush that’s spreading on her entire face, the nerves has caught up with her, she straightened her back though, she will push on, with another deep breath she looked Tiffany in the eyes, letting her lips be pulled into the unconscious smile that naturally dominates her expression whenever she does so.

 

“What I’m trying to say is I want to pursue you Tiffany, if you’ll let me.” Taeyeon bared her heart completely, put it in Tiffany’s hand that night, to be lifted up or crushed.

 

 

 

“Yes Taeyeon-ah, you can. I want to let you.” And Tiffany lifted it up, not just Taeyeon’s heart but her whole being, she did so with the most amazing smile. And Taeyeon’s heart was back in her chest, drowning in happiness and when she recovered a little, she looked at her, pulled Tiffany towards her by the hand and gave her the gentlest hug she can, and when Tiffany reciprocated with the tightest hug she could give Taeyeon without physically injuring the older girl. Taeyeon fell for her again, harder.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N : This story has taken a whole new different turn from how I intended it to be when I first wrote it (I thought I could write comedy, cheesy cringe inducing words came out instead). I'm not changing how it currently is though, and I'm still gonna try my best to give justice to the title somehow but I also intend to let it take me where it will take me, sometimes I think you gotta let the story write itself, am I making sense? It has been a long time, if you're still here reading these latest updates, thank you. And thanks to the readers who came upon this work very recently for sparing it your time, if there are any lol .. This story is a little over two years old now, that's how long I've set it aside. Life (and laziness mainly) happened :) I'm not gonna make any promises, I refuse to feel like I have to please anybody to make them keep reading, I'm writing because I love TaeNy and I want to give back for all the amazing TaeNy fanfictions I've been blessed to read so far and will read in the future :) ,so that's it for now. Thank you for reading. :)