( I K E B U K U R O )

After-globe

The clock strikes on 10 AM when Kai stepped his feet out of the train in Shin-okubo station. He looked around to search for Krystal but he couldn’t find her.

Maybe she hadn’t come yet.

The boy walked and stood by one of the pillar, tried to not run into anyone who passed by. Japanese walk so fast he somehow had a hard time catching up.

After a few minutes of waiting, Kai decided to put on his headphone. Music could help him to reduce boredom. The dancer tapped one of a song in his playlist and let the music played along while he looked around.

Shin-okubo station was quite packed that day. Japanese people are walking in and out the trains in a fast pace.

Jongin turned his head to the left and accidentally saw a couple standing inside the train. The girl was leaning against the wall with hands folded while the boy casually grabbed the handrail. They were talking to each other with a big smile on their faces.

They looked happy.

Somehow, it once again brought Kai back to his past.

Irene and him were in different college, but they used to walked each other home a lot. They rode the monorail together while talking about their days. Kai mostly talked about his dancing students while Irene talked about her day in campus.

Kai sighed and looked away. He turned his head back to the right and was greeted by a bright flash. The dark-haired boy startled and he should blink a few times to get rid of the sudden imaginary fireflies on his eyes before caught a figure of Krystal holding her usual white polaroid camera.

“Morning,” the girl greeted with a bright vibrant smile. “Do I take a long time?”

“M-morning!” Kai greeted back. “No, no. I have just arrived.”

Krystal nodded and put back her polaroid camera inside the bag. “You are quite punctual to the time. Are you adapting to Japanese lifestyle?”

Kai grinned when he heard the joke. “Probably,”

He then eyed Krystal up and down. The girlwas wearing a printed tank top covered with baggy blue jacket, short pants, and white sneakers. That girl really looks like a model walking out of a magazine.

“Nice fashion,” the boy complimented.

Krystal glanced at herself before smiled. “Thanks.”

She then looked at Kai before rose her left eyebrows. You look great.”

Kai broke into laughter. He knew himself he didn’t dress great that day. His mind was too much in chaos when he’s packing so he ended up taking all the clothes he put on the top shelf without looking at it. “No need to compliment me back. What’s so good about t-shirt and jeans, anyway.”

“Well they say simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.” Krystal rose her shoulders. “And no fashion can hides a true beauty, anyway.”

Kai fell into silence when he heard Krystal’s words. He blinked as he tried to process what the girl had just said.

Krystal on the other hand tugged on his shirt. “Let’s go get some breakfast? I am starving.”

The two then entered the train again with Krystal leading the way. As they stood in the middle of the train, the girl was attracted to Kai’s headphone.

“Can I borrow it?” Krystal asked.

“What? This? Of course.” Kai replied while taking off his headphone. The boy handed it to Krystal.

Krystal stared at the headphone for a while, admiring it. Her eyes then stopped at the familiar K A I and lifted her face to meet Kai’s gaze. “It’s your name.”

Kai nodded. “It’s a gift from my best friend. He’s the one that put on my name.”

The headphone was a gift from Taemin on his last birthday. Kai had been idolizing the headphone since so long and Taemin kind-heartedly bought it for him.

What a rich- friend.

“Such a thoughtful best friend.” Krystal said in amusement. “What kind of song do you listen to?”

“Kim Taeyeon’s songs.” Kai replied lightly. “Her new duet with Dean, Starlight.”

“Ah, that song. I love it too.” Krystal nodded and put the headphone on her head. “The melody matches the music video so well.Light, buttery, fit each other like Nutella on breads.”

Kai nodded. “Taeyeon’s voice is powerful as always, I never knew Dean’s could be that sweet.”

“Perfect combination of emotional falsetto and velvety dulcet tone.” Krystal commented while humming. “She does a great job as always, Kim Taeyeon.”

Kai paused when he heard Krystal’s words, then frowned. “You are a singer?”

Krystal turned her head to Kai. “Well, I sing. How do you know?”

“You use terms that only musician understands.” Kai exclaimed. “So, do you play music instruments as well?”

“I do, piano.” Krystal replied.

“Woah,” Kai gasped in awe. “My cousin also learns piano. She’s earning her musical degree in London now.”

Krystal nodded in awe. “Wow, she must be a genius then.”

“What about you? Do you major musical as well in Seoul?” Kai asked due to his curiosity.

Krystal stared at Kai for a split seconds before grinned so wide her eyes turned into crescent shape. “It’s a secret 🎵”

Kai felt as if a big wok fell upon his head when he heard the girl’s answer. Like usual, she refused to answer the questions.

“What are you, actually? An FBI? You always avoid my questions.” Kai sighed.

Krystal just smiled in reply, then handed the headphone back to Kai. “Why is that matter? You take a musical school as well?”

Kai looked at Krystal with a flat face, then turned to huff. “I’m not telling someone who ain’t gonna tell me anything in return.”

Krystal broke into a sweet quiet laugh and smacked Kai lightly on his arm. “Sulking already? Hahaha how cute.”

Kai blushed a little with the girl’s comment.

“We go down here.” Krystal commanded once the train had stopped and immediately walked to lead the way. Kai followed her from behind like an obedient puppy.

Kai was really shock when he stepped out of the train and ran into a Sasuke Uchiha. It took him a few more seconds before realizing that it was a cosplay. Heck, that Japanese guy looked exactly like Sasuke Uchiha.

“What is this place?” Kai asked while keeping up with Krystal’s pace.

“Ikebukuro.” Krystal answered. “I ran out of polaroid film and I should buy another one here, but let’s eat first.”

Kai found himself nodded and let the girl pulled himself toward the C&C curry shop not really far from the train station.

“I thought Japanese would be expensive. Turned out it’s not that killer, anyway.” Kai said after they made their order.

“As long as you don’t eat in fine dining it still worth the wallet.” Krystal replied while drinking her cold ocha. “My sister lives in Hokkaido. She thought she wouldn’t survive but she does.”

Kai blinked when he heard the new information. “Your sister lives here?”

Krystal nodded. “I come to Japan to visit her.”

“So-, have you met her?” Kai asked with a little pounding heart.

Krystal rarely reveals any information about her so when she does, Kai flies in happiness. He also doesn’t get why.

“Nope, I still want to travel around.” Krystal shrugged. “I’m gonna go visit her, but not now. Later.”

Kai nodded. “oh… so how long you are gonna stay in Tokyo?”

“Hmmm…” Krystal furrowed her eyebrows a little. “I will stay until I get bored.”

Kai couldn’t help but give Krystal an amused look. He somehow found Krystal’s ignorance adorable. Somehow, that girl’s personality draws Kai close to insanity. The mixture of curiosity and culture shock that makes Krystal interesting.

“I see,” Kai nodded. “You are really… free like a bird, aren’t you?”

Krystal chuckled when she heard that. “Everyone tells me the same. It’s not like that, actually. I just do whatever I want to do and live a life without anyone’s permission. Simple like that.”

Kai supported his right cheek with his right hand. “You are a little rebel. Hahaha. Your parents allow you to do so?”

“Of course. They are the chillest and most laid back parents ever exist.” Krystal chuckled. “I’ve gained their trust ever since I was 15 so, yeah.”

As they’re talking, the waiter brought their food. Two plates of Curry rice were served. The waiter said something in Japanese before leaving them.

“Do you travel around a lot?” Kai asked.

Krystal nodded while stuffing with one big spoonful of rice.

“Alone?”

This time, the blonde shook her head. “Mostly with friends or my sister. This is my second time traveling alone.”

“Where did you do the first one?”

“New York.”

Kai almost choked on his food as he widened his eyes as big as possible. “WHAT? Y-you went that f-far?”

“I grew up in Cali so New York isn’t that far I think.” Krystal replied calmly.

“-oh? You are originally American?”

“Was,” Krystal replied. “But I have moved to Korea four years ago and changed my identity to Korean, so I am Korean.”

“No wonder you told me you can speak 3 languages…” Kai exclaimed in awe.

Krystal laughed. “You should know my sister. She speaks 5 languages.”

“What the h-,” Kai once again gasped.

“Just like me, she grew up in Cali, learn fashion in France, become a student exchange in Taipei, moved to Korea with me then get married to a Japanese man. She masters all the languages, even though not as fluent as English.” Krystal explained, and Kai definitely could see proudness on her eyes.

“You two are wonderful.” Kai smiled. “It must be so good, huh? Having a sibling.”

“You don’t have any?” Krystal asked back.

Kai shook his head. “I’m the only child. That’s why people say I am spoiled as .”

“Wow,” Krystal grinned. “What a heavy statement.”

Kai smiled along, but this time he looked a little sad. “My parents were so busy with their works so I was alone most of time. I remembered once asking for a brother but they couldn’t give one. I spent most of my childhood alone until I met Taemin, my best friend. We become inseparable ever since.”

Kai looked up and caught Krystal was staring at him with unreadable expression and that’s made him realized something.

Why the heck did he say that to Krystal?? It’s just the second meeting and what made Kai think she would give a damn??

“I mean-,” Kai quickly added in panic. “-it must be g-good to have a brother, right? Well I heard siblings fight a lot but I think it-,”

“At least that Taeil is there for you,” Krystal smiled warmly. “Not everyone is lucky to have sibling with them. Some even think it’s a curse, but I see that yours come in a form of friend. That’s a good thing. You know, best friend is actually a family member that you choose by yourself. Some could even be better than the sibling itself. It's not all about blood relation at the end. You should treasure Taeil with all your heart.”

Kai paused when he heard Krystal’s words. One more impression hit Kai straight on his head.

That girl, even though she always acts as if she doesn’t care with the rotating world around her, she could speak something so wise and rational it doesn’t fit her appearance.

Kai blushed and slowly looked away to murmur in a low voice.“It’s Taemin, not Taeil.”

“Oh, what? Jaemin? Ah sorry, I have difficulties in remembering people’s name hahahaha.” Krystal scratched the back of her head sheepishly with her classic melodious laugh.

Kain broke into chuckles when Krystal’s once again changed his best friend name all she wants.

This bubblegum girl… is indeed a unique and unbearably attractive girl.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Why do you always take a lot of pictures with Polaroid Camera?” Kai asked when both him and Krystal had walked out from one of the camera shop there. “The films are expensive, aren’t they?”

“I just love the outcome.” Krystal replied as he inserted the film into her camera. “And I love to keep them on boxes and write notes about them.”

“That’s a little…” Kai tilted his head to the right, didn’t know whether he should say it or not.

“…oldish?” Krystal asked lightly. “Well that’s true, but trends rotate and what was popular then, become a thing again nowadays.”

The blonde tilted her head up, looking at the crystal clear sky before snapped a picture of it with her camera.

“It’s so hot.” Krystal said while waiting for her photo to appear on the white film. “I need something cool.”

“Like what? Iced macchiato?” Kai asked. “Uh, by the way. Why did you call me Iced Macchiato? What’s the reason?”

Krystal smiled when she heard the question. Rather than answer it, she turned her head toward Kai and shot another question in return.

“Have you heard about Japanese 8 layered ice creams?”

Kai furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “Huh?”

“Come on, I think we should get one to get rid of this unbearable hotness!” Krystal said while grabbing Kai’s hand and dragged him to the train station.

“Where are we going?” Kai asked in confusion.

“Nakano Broadway!” Krystal replied cheerfully.

That’s a strange name Kai had never heard about, but he didn’t say anything to refuse Krystal because she knew wherever the girl taking him...

…it’s always gonna be a one big and epic once in a lifetime adventure.

 

 

 

 


A/n

 

New chappie is up~ it won't take too long until Kai could fully trust Krystal and tell her the stories about Irene.

While Krystal... She's a free-spirited who will tell her story whenever she feels like to so you can play a guessing game to really know what is she like ^^

I'll see you guys in the next chapter!

 

 

 

*for the love of writing, onerusticpen*