Chapter 2: New Friend

Once Again

     Introductions are really not Seoyun’s thing. She finds it hard to strike up a conversation with someone. How will she even find friends this way?, she thought.

     Classes went on for a few hours and lunch break is coming faster than she expected. She does not want to eat alone nor go to the cafeteria alone but she does not know anyone yet. Finally, math class ended and that left with Geography class before lunch break. Seoyun has been thinking hard about lunch while looking outside the window.

“You don’t wanna be alone here, you know.” A girl’s voice disrupted her thoughts. She looked at the direction of the voice and saw a cute girl with a beautiful eyesmile.

“Bullies will eat you up.” Seoyun frowned at her statement making the girl chuckle.

“You don’t have to be afraid. I just thought you would need someone. I’m Jung Hana by the way.” She extended her hand to Seoyun. Seoyun accepted her hand and smiled at her.

“Thanks, Hana. I’m Seoyun.”

“Yeah, I heard.” Hana chuckled. But before they could start talking again, their Geography teacher appeared and as if on cue, Hana is on her way back to her desk not forgetting to mouth “lunch” to Seoyun which she agreed.

    Geography class ended and everyone is on their way to the cafeteria. Seoyun and Hana walked side by side as they started to get to know each other. As they arrived at the cafeteria, they lined up to buy their food. The cafeteria is big and has a great number of tables which can accommodate most of the students. They spotted a table and sat there.

“You don’t have to worry about the food here, it’s always been good.” Hana told her.

“I guess it was really good here in Seoul. Back in Gyeongsang, most of the students brought home foods because the cafeteria food is not that good.” They laughed at what Seoyun said and started digging on their food.

    As they were eating, Seoyun spotted a loud table. Their faces are familiar. She turned to Hana to ask about them.

“Oh, they are the famous group. They did not intend to be famous though. But look at their visuals, praise-worthy, right? That one with the black hair and small eyes is the smartie one in the group, Byun Baekhyun. The tallest cutie is Oh Sehun, the one with the y bronze skin is Kim Jongin or Kai and the only girl which is a hapkido expert is Kim Yerim.” Seoyun nodded trying to digest all the newfound information.

“They must be righ too, right?” Seoyun asked Hana.

“Of course. But you know, Baekhyun hasn’t had any girlfriends yet despite being famous.” As Hana is still rambling about the famous kids, the bell rang, indicating the second period is starting.

    Seoyun and Hana walked back to their room and they promised to walk to the bus station together since they live in opposite directions. Hana also said that she will transfer her seat the next dat beside Seoyun. The second period went pretty well.

    Seoyun arrived home at around almost 5 o’clock in the afternoon. Her mom told her to rest first and she will tell her if dinner is set. It’s 6pm when Seoyun’s dad came home and her mother called her to eat as well.

“How is school, honey?” Seoyun’s dad asked.

Seoyun looked at her father and smiled, “It was fine, dad. And I already met a friend.”

“That’s good. At least you won’t be lost and alone.” Her mom smiled at her.

    After dinner, Seoyun helped with the dishes. She shared more storied while they are cleaning up. It was their hobby to watch television shows together. Since Seoyun does not have any homework yet, she get to join her parents.

    Hours passed and Seoyun’s mom already asked her to get ready for bed. Seoyun is excited for the new things she’ll experience the next day.

    It is a new day at school and Seoyun is spending the morning talking with Hana who indeed transferred her seat next to Seoyun. The others are spending their time with the others, namely the famous kids.

“Are there new students in your class?” Sehun asked Yerim who seems to be concentrated on her phone.

“Only one. That girl in front who’s friends with Jung Hana.” Yerim answered.

    Sehun and Kai looked at the direction Yerim pointed at. They were hanging out at Baekhyun and Yerim’s class again since it is still early and classes won’t start until 7:30am.

“She seems to be quiet.” Sehun noticed.

“Yeah. She barely said anythhing yesterday aside from her introduction.” Baekhyun said.

“She looks nice. Well, we will probably get to know her sometime.” Yerim said as she looked up from her phone.

“Now, you two! Go back to your class before our teacher arrives.” Baekhyun told the two kids.

    Sehun pouted yet nodded at Baekhyun as he and Kai stood up and walk through the door, “Bye hyung! Bye Yerim! See you at lunch.”

    Lunch came earlier than expected. Seoyun and Hana are at their lockers putting back their things from the first period.

“I am glad we purchased our lockers together! We got to rent lockers beside each other.” Seoyun exclaimed.

“Yeah. We don’t have to go to separate lockers.” Hana laughed. “By the way, what are you getting for extra activities?”

“Actually, I am interested in music. How about you?” Seoyun asked.

“I’ll be in theater! I like acting.” Hana smiled. They continued their way to the cafeteria and bought foods.

“You know, if you have some things you are curious about, don’t hesitate to ask me.” Hana said which Seoyun returned with a smile.

    Days after, it was already time to choose for their extra activities. Seoyun was sad because she will be on her own again since Hana is choosing theater. Hana told her that it will be okay since she will be able to get to know other students. Extra activities happens during Saturdays. It is not a weekly activity but sometimes, they do have meetings.

    Today is Thursday and it will be their first meeting with the club. The first meeting usually happens on a weekday bit the rest of their meetings will be on Saturdays. Seoyun is carefully making her way to the music club. She is nervous to meet new people.

“Good afternoon everyone! I am Zhang Yixing the president of the music club. I would like to welcome our new members.” He asked his fellow students to clap. “Since there are new members, I would like to emphasize that the music club has two components, the singing and the instruments. Those who are interested in singing, go to the right door and those who are interested in instruments, go to the left.”

    The students dispersed to their respective interests and Seoyun chose the singing branch. As she entered the door, she spotted not to many students but she saw some of her classmates namely Byun Baekhyun and that funny guy, Kim Jongdae.

“I thought Baekhyun is a hapkido expert. Why is he here then? I didn’t know he’s interested in singing.” Seoyun thought.