Chapter 4: Stage Fright

Once Again

    Weeks already passed and Baekhyun, Jongdae and Seoyun are making progress. They have been diligently practicing to showcase a good performance. Seoyun and Hana barely hangs out but Seoyun has been reporting their progress and Hana is happy to hear about it. It was currently a Saturday and the trio is hanging out at a tteokbokki shop.

“So, a week left before the festival. Let’s stop practicing to rest our voices.” Jongdae said. The two agreed while munching on their food. The three are a little closer now after spending some time with each other. They are excited but a little nervous about their performance especially Seoyun since it is her first time. They separated at around 4 in the afternoon and Jongdae sent Seoyun home.

    The 3-day school festival finally starts and different food and game booths appeared at the school grounds. The school also rented some mini rides as well. Hana’s theatre performance will be on the first day, the dance club will be on the second day and the music club will be on the last day. Classes are only half-day for the students to be able to enjoy the festival.

    Classes already ended and Hana is nowhere to be seen since they are preparing for the theatre performance. Seoyun is still at the classroom as well as her other classmates. A lot of them are going to watch the play. Jongdae and his friends, Minseok and Junmyeon who are from the other class told Seoyun that they will join her in watching the play. Sehun and Kai are already sticking to Baekhyun and Yerim at their classroom.

“Hyung! Let’s ride that mini viking!” Sehun clapped happily.

“Sehun, you know that I’m afraid of heights, right? I’ll pass on that.”

“Baekhyun! Let’s just do the photo booth so we can update our collection of pictures.” Yerim suggested which Baekhyun and the two kids agreed to. The four of them made their way to the photo booth. They took several pictures so that each of them will have their own copies.

    The play will start at 5pm and will last for two hours. Seoyun, Jongdae, Minseok and Junmyeon are on their way to the auditorium to watch the play. Soon enough, the play started. It was already 7pm when the play ended and Seoyun texted her parents that she will be eating outside with her friends. The Kim brothers joined Hana and Seoyun to a fastfood restaurant to help Hana celebrate for her first stage. While the 5 of them entered the restaurant, they spotted Baekhyun, Kai, Sehun and Yerim who are already inside.

    Kai noticed the group as they entered. “Isn’t that the new girl from your class, hyung” Baekhyun turned to look at where Kai is pointing at. “Yeah, she’s with the Kim brothers and Jung Hana.” After that, they just continued eating.

    Jongdae and Minseok went to order their foods as Hana, Seoyun and Junmyeon finds a table for them. They found a table near the famous group’s table which only Seoyun has noticed. It took them an hour to finish eating and it’s already 8:30pm. Junmyeon and Han’s house are at the same area that is why Junmyeon offered to send her home since it is dangerous to come home at night. Jongdae offered to send Seoyun home as well. Seoyun’s parents already met Jongdae and they are thankful whenever Jongdae sends Seoyun home.

    The second day of the festival starts up with classes and the students cannot wait until 12 noon for them to enjoy the festival. Hours passed and it’s lunch time already. Seoyun and Hana ate their lunch first before going out to the field for the fun stuff. The two decided to go to the photo booth first to have a picture. Then, they went to the mini games such as throwing the rings on the poles. After that, they proceeded to the roulette to get some prizes. At around 3pm, Jongdae and Junmyeon met with Hana and Seoyun to invite them to watch Minseok at the dance club’s performances.

    The four spent their time on the rides and the food booths. It’s finally 30 minutes before the dance club performances and they’re already on their way to the auditorium. They found some good seats and their arrangement is Jongdae-Junmyeon-Hana-Seoyun. There are blank seats beside Seoyun’s seat. Minutes after, Seoyun felt someone sit beside her.

“Are you going to watch Minseok hyung?” Baekhyun asked.

    Seoyun was startled but when she looked beside her and saw that it is Baekhyun, she relaxed. “Yeah. Jongdae and Junmyeon invited us.”

    All of them enjoyed the performance. Baekhyun occasionally gives comments about the dancers which Seoyun laughs to. After the performances ended, Jongdae asked Minseok, Junmyeon and Hana to go home first since Seoyun, Jongdae and Baekhyun will talk about their performance the next day.

“Let’s do our best tomorrow!” Jongdae encouraged them.

“I’m nervous but I’ll do my 100%.” Seoyun mumbled.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be there with you.”

    Seoyun got home at 7 pm. Her mom prepared her dinner and she washed her own plates after. She told her parents that she’ll be staying in her room. As she was doing her homework, her phone lighted up, showing a message.

From: 010-XXXX-XXX
Hi ^^

To: 010-XXXX-XXX
Hi! Who is this? Jongdae?

From: 010-XXXX-XXX
Heh. Nope. It’s Baekhyun!

To: 010-XXXX-XXX
Why the sudden text?

From: Byun Baekhyun
I just want to tell you that Jongdae and I will help you tomorrow. Don’t pressure yourself too much. You’re great and you should not hide your talents. You’ll do well, we’ll do well. Fighting to us!

To: Byun Baekhyun
Thanks, Baekhyun! Fighting!

From: Byun Baekhyun
No problem! And just call me Baek! :)

    Seoyun went to bed happy as she is looking forward to their performance tomorrow.

    The day of their performance finally arrived. Despite trying to calm herself down, Seoyun still feels nervous. Classes started and Seoyun cannot concentrate. Her thoughts are filled with worry. In a few hours, she will be performing in front of the other students. It will be her very first time performing.

    Lunch break came so fast and classes already ended. After eating their lunch, Seoyun went to the auditorium for their rehearsals. The music club arranged their sequences. Their program will start with president Yixing saying a few words and then it will follow with the instruments branch’s performances and then the singing branch’s performances. Jongdae’s group will present third to the last.

    As much as Seoyun hated it, 5 o’clock already arrived. The singers are waiting backstage while Yixing starts the program. Jongdae, Seoyun and Baekhyun are standing side by side. Jongdae peeked at the audience.

“ Your army is there, Seoyun. Let’s do well!”

“Who?”

“Minseok, Junmyeon and Hana.”

    Time went by so fast and Jongdae is already on the stage introducing the singing branch. Unknowingly, Seoyun started shaking which Baekhyun did not fail to notice.

“Hey, are you okay?” Baekhyun turned to Seoyun. She shaked her head at Baekhyun’s question. Baekhyun held her hand to ease the tension.
“Okay, breathe in and breathe out, Seoyun. Follow me.”

Seoyun did what Baekhyun told her and slowly, she find herself relaxing.

“I’m sorry about that. It’s just that it will be my first time performing in front of other students.” Seoyun told Baekhyun.

“Do you remember what I texted you last night? I told you not to pressure yourself, right? We’ll be there with you.”

    With that, Seoyun gave Baekhyun a smile which he returned. Their turn finally came and as they went on the stage, Seoyun noticed her friends giving her encouragements. The music starts playing and Jongdae blurted out the first lines of the song. Baekhyun followed after and the three of them sang the whole song with ease.

    After their performance, all of them went out for a celebratory dinner. They all had fun sharing stories while eating. The festival ended well and the next day will be a new day of studying which they all dreaded.