[02] Joy and Scoups: From then to now

Glimpses of Joy

 

A/N: This is based on a dream I recently had. It was one of the most random things I have ever dreamt of. 

 

Joy and Seungcheol had been friends for all she could remember. She knew the deepest darkest secrets Seungcheol could have ever and he knew hers. 

 

They had grewn up next to each other, literally. Their houses were side by side to each others with Joy's and Seungcheol's rooms completely adjacent to each others. Since their families were friendly to each other, they would often take turns looking after the children. When joy was born, Mrs Park had brought her over to the Choi's household where she had shown the boys her delicate newborn. 

 

Of course, Seungcheol's dad wanted to see the cute baby first, however, once Joy had seen Mr Choi she had burst into big fat ugly tears. Seungcheol, the one-year-old baby, walked to his fathes legs and gave him a soft smack lecturing him for making the baby cry, "Bad daddy."

 

Mrs Park laughed at the two's antics, Mr Choi scratched his nape and grabbed hold of the squirming Seungcheol and hoisted him up to his arms allowing him to have a better view of the baby. Once Seungcheol had seen the baby, his eyes closed to crescent half moons and smiled to the whimpering baby. Reaching out with his hand, Seungcheol had allowed the baby to wrap her delicate hands around his index finger. Slowly but surely, the baby had stopped crying and had fallen back to sleep. 

 

Surprised Mrs Park chuckled, "It seems like our little Joy here likes Seungcheol oppa."

 

Seungcheol smiled at Mrs Park, "I will be the best oppa! I will become strong and big so that I can protect her from the scary monsters that hide in the closets"

 

Mrs Park smiled tenderly in reply and messed the small mop of hair forming on the boy's head. It would be nice to have him protect her, at least it would be one less thing to worry about. 

 

Mrs Park had decided it was time to go home, however, once Seungcheol had withdrawn his finger from the baby, a small whine had begun to resurface. Seconds later, the small whine had evolved into loud crying, in instict, Seungcheol had once again placed his finger into the delicate fisted palms. And once again, her crying had died down into a stop, so Mrs. Park had no choice but bring Seungcheol over to her house and help her usher the baby to sleep. 

 

Mrs Park had ushered Seungcheol and baby Joy into a freshly furnished baby room where Mrs Park had placed the baby into the wooden crib by the wall. Seungcheol watched the baby wail from the loss of contact, so he once again stretched out his hand and this time holding her tiny hand in his through the gaps between the crib's bars.

 

Thinking this would soothe baby, Mrs Park had watched in amusement, however, once the baby had continued to cry she had assumed that it was due to the baby's hunger. So she walked to Seungcheol and explained that she would need to prepare a bottle for the baby and would be back in a few minutes. Seungcheol had nodded cutely and promised to look after the crying girl. Mrs Park had left walking towards the kitchen, leaving the two children in the nursery room. 

 

"Shh, why are you crying?" Seungcheol looked worriyingly, "I know, maybe you need a cuddle!"

 

Seungcheol had broken the contact with the baby before climbing over the bars of the wooden crib. Slowly, making himself comfortable next to the baby, Seungcheol had wrapped his arms around her and began to sing her a common lullaby.

 

By the time Mrs Park had returned she was surprised to see her precious baby sleeping soundly in the arms of a cute drooling little boy who had a strong but gently grip over his once crying friend. Mrs Park had automatically smiled and fished her phone out of her pocket taking photos of this sweet moment

 

 

 

---

 

 

Since their first day of school in kindergarten, the two had remain inseparable. It was given that Seungcheol had always treasured his neighbour.

 

There was this one time Seungcheol had gone into a fight with another boy because he had taken Joy's toys. In his anger, Seungcheol had fisted his palms and threw a sickening punch to the boy's stomach. Of course, the teachers had lectured Seungcheol for his actions, however, they had admired his protective nature, wondering if the two were indeed siblings in the past life.

 

 

 

The two had always been in the same class with each other every year until the last year of high school, often sitting next to each other on the back row next to the open window. Minding their own business, the two had somehow gained other friends on the side, however, the two would always end up walking home together in comfortable silence. 

 

 

 

---

 

 

So it was no wonder Joy knew that Seungcheol had, in fact, a low tolerance for spicy foods. Joy had laughed at him, after knowing his weakness while quietly walking home. For someone so confident in himself to have such an  achelies heal such as spicy foods was a rather funny contrast. 

 

"Are you serious?" She had to ask again just to make sure before setting off another round of laughter, "The all mighty Seungcheol's weakness is spicy foods?"

 

"Yah! you said you weren't gonna laugh at me!" He pouted, "And I told you a million times call me S.Coups." 

 

This made the younger girl to laugh even more. He is such a confident alpha male at school but once they go home he's this spoiled mama's boy who was often targetted by Joy's younger sisters. Well, maybe that's what she liked about him.

 

"Yah! if you're angry at me then why wait for me?" Joy had challenged the larger boy, "You knew I had after school club meetings, so why did you wait for me? I know you would have missed your favourite show by now. Maybe you.." 

 

Seungcheol had  a questioning look before Joy had continued, "Maybe you've fallen for me"

 

Joy leant towards the boy in a teasing manner, "Sorry I don't think I see you that way," she had grabbed his large calloused right hand and placed it right above her heart, "See no skipping beats, even my heart rejects you. I feel for you Seungcheollie."

 

"Yah! don't flatter yourself, I don't have feelings for you either. I'm only tolerating you because aunty told me to look after you," Seungcheol replied, "besides, it's not like you are any better than me you can't eat spicy foods either."

 

"Whatever you say," Joy had reached her house gate and bade her beloved neighbour goodbye before waving to his retreating back. Somehow, the two remained good friends despite constant bickering, however, one faithful day had decided to change their whole relationship. 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Seungcheol had been approached by a scouting agent from some entertainment company in seoul who had wanted him to become a trainee with a possibility to become an idol. When Seungcheol had told her, Joy was excessively suportive. She knew that Seungcheol had a great voice and had dremed of being an entertainer, so how could she not support him. 

 

Once Seungcheol had responded to the company, Seungcheol spent the rest of his days in the town with his friends creating mischeif here and there. But on his last day, he had reserved all his remaining time to be with Joy. He knew that Joy was somehow sad, he could see it in her eyes whenever she smiles. It lost this beatiful spark that it usually holds, therefore he had thought that maybe spending the rest of his time with Joy would somehow bring it back. However, Sungcheol had forgotten to tell the younger girl about his plans for the day, so when he had arrived in her room he was surprised to see her still sleeping into the afternoon. 

 

Joy knew Seungcheol was meant to leave for Seoul that day, therefore, she had attempted to sleep in to avoid unecessary goodbyes. She hated goodbyes. However, as she had concentrated to falling asleep she had heard familiar steps echoing against the wooden floor boards of her stairs. Closing her eyes shut, Joy had known that Seungcheol had come to pay her a visit, after all, she had been avoiding him these past few days. 

 

Seungcheol had continued walking closer to her sleeping figure on the bed. And just like before he grasped his hand around hers and whispered, "Why are you crying?" 

 

To her surprise, Joy had not realised when she had begun crying however she could feel her eyes heat up as fat angry tears had begun to leak from her closed eyes. Despite the comforting gesture made by Seungcheol, Joy's tears continued to intensify, with no choice, Seungcheol had once again broken his contact with her and laid carefully next to her. And just like when they were little, Seungcheol had carefully wrapped his toned arms around the shaking girl. 

 

He closed his eyes and began to verbally reminisce their times together. From the time when they were very little until to what had happened last week. Every memory that Seungcheol had remembered sparked another round of sobbing. Seungcheol had smiled at her and wiped her tears from her face. He didn't want to leave her if she continued to cry like that, so he had begun to sing a lullaby that Mrs Park used to sing to her when she was a baby. 

 

Baby mine, don't you cry

Baby mine, dry your eyes

Rest your head close to my heart

Never to part, a baby of mine.

 

Seungcheol carefully sang each line making sure that the crying girl had heard each word.

 

Little one when you play

Pay no heed what they say

Let your eyes sparkle and shine

Never a tear, baby of mine.

 

Seungcheol had begun to rub her arms up and down in a soothing manner. He can't remember when was the last time she had cried this hard. Watching her cry in her sleep was one of the most heartbreaking things he could ever watch.

 

From your head to your toes

Your not much, goodness knows

But you're so precious to me

Sweet as can be, baby of mine

 

With his final words, Sungcheol had hugged her tighter than before, attempting to etch the feeling of having her his arms into his mind. He knew how much he would miss this girl, after all, she had been there from the very beginnig until the very end, of course, she would have held a special place in his heart. 

 

Joy who had pretended to be asleep had visibly flinched she he had stood up from his position on the bed. The horn of Mr Choi's car had signalled Seungcheol that it was time to go. Walking closer to the door, Seungcheol looked back at the crying girl before uttering the words, "Sorry for all those times I may have caused you a great amount of pain. Goodbye and until I come back I will gain courage so that I can let you know how much you really mean to me."

 

And just like that, he left

 

And just like that, she felt empty

 

 

 

---

 

 

3 years passed, the Class of 2014 had organised a reunion where all of the past students were required to attend. After many changes in times and days of the reunion a date and a time was set with the most convenience for all of the guests. 

 

When Joy had revceived the gold envolope containig the invitation through the mail, the first thing that had popped into her mind was a certain image of a smiling boy. She had not heard from the boy since he had left. At first, she had been extremely angry at him, vowing to never forgive the boy despite how much he begged. However, as times past she had almost forgotten all memories of him until a report of a 13 member boy group had come accross her desk. 

 

Joy had been in her second year of being a hot shot journalist covering the enterinment collumn for a well-known magazine in Seoul. She had aimed for a job in the entertainment industry in hopes of going accross a familiar looking boy. However, after a few months of hoplessly praying, she still had no way to contact the older boy. So she had given up thinking it was completely possible. Then when an article reagrding promosing rookies had been given to her for the final edit before print, She had realised that one of the boys from this rookie group Seventeen had a leader named S.Coups

 

Joy had immediately turned to her laptop by her table to search for his S.Coups. Her eyes remained wide when she had seen a picture of her long lost friend posing with 12 other boys. She took a minute to process all of the information through, he had achieved his dream and she couldn't be happier for him, however, she had wondered as to why he had never bothered to contact her. 

 

She shook herself from her thoughts and stared back at the invitation in her hands, "He probably doesn't have to me for these things now that he's famous," She smiled bitterly, "I would want to see some of the girls, though, I remember Yerin said she got a new boyfriend, I wanna see how long this guy lasts." 

 

Joy had automatically dialled the number written on the invitation and had informed them that she was, in fact, available. However, since she had her deadline for the week's articles were on the same day she would have to head to the venue straight after her work. And since the venue is in their home village, there would a long travelling time which would cause her to become late. 

 

 

 

---

 

 

As the faithful day arrived, Joy had prepared all her necessities in her bag. Despite wanting to attend the reunion in comfortable clothes, she had no time to change from her formal work attire as the last express train heading to her hometown was a few minutes after her end of shift. Running to the train station, Joy had barely caught her breath when the train came to a halt in front of her. 

 

Riding the train she got comfortable in the seat next to the window and carefully observed the scenery that she had long missed. She was heading home, the home where she had memories of him. The home where he left her and never returned again

 

 

 

---

 

 

After the long travel, Joy had decided to walk to the venue. The organisers of the reunion had been kind enough to consider those coming by train, booking a venue close to the train station. Joy walked a few minutes in her high stilettoes, tight black high wasited pencil skirt coupled with her classic white shirt. She definetly stood out from the crowd of locals. 

 

Once arriving in front of the venue, Joy tookk a deep breath before opening the door. Mentally preparing herself for that slim chance that the boy she had been looking for has in fact attended the reunion. Upon opneing the sliding door, Joy was met with loud sounds of laughter coming frim a crowded table at the very back of the restaurant. Apparently, there were more than 50 who had attended and they had to reserve the entire extension of the restaurant. 

 

"Oh!" Yerin yelled from afar, "Joy is that you?" 

 

Joy burst into a smile before waving back to her long time friend, "Hello Yerin, long time no see." 

 

Yerin had bolted from her seat and ran to hug the black haired girl, "Oh my gosh, I have missed you! Why didn't you tell me you were gonna come today? I would have picked you up from the station!" 

 

Joy laughed at her friend, "I can walk, I have my own pair of legs." 

 

"A very hot one at that," Yerin laughed looking at the attire of the girl in front of her, "Look at you, dressing up just because he's here." 

 

"Yah, I needed to run straight from work to the station to make it to this reunion. And what are you.." Joy had stopped her walking, frozen like a statue. He was here. Yerin knew of her feelings for the said boy and had counselled her to accept blind dates in an attempt to have her get over the boy. However, once she had been abused by one of the boys, Yerin had vowed to never set her up again. 

 

"He's here." She replied, before breaking off into a wide grin, "And very good looking at that, if you guys didn't have a thing I would have stolen that guy up for myself."

 

Joy laughed and scoffed at the girl's statement. Trust Yerin to be the immature yet comforting friend that she is. Once they had reached the group, a series of wolf whistles were sounded, apparently, Joy had become a sought after female often causing a stir with the male population wherever she goes. 

 

"Joy here sit next to me," Yerin had ushered her to sit next to her and directly across the well buildt Seungcheol. 

 

Joy sat uncomfortable under the gaze of a familiar friend who broke to a smile and asked, "How are you, Joy?"

 

She fumed in anger, after all, those years she had spent trying to look for him, here he was asking how she was. She gave him a deadly side glance, "I'm fine."

 

Yerin glanced towards the hostile couple. Deciding it would be good to play a game, Yerin had gulped down one soju bottle and cleared an area on their table, "Yah, let us play spin the bottle." 

 

"Oh not now Yerin," Joy whined, "I'm not in the mood."

 

Her complaints were however too late as Yerin had already spun the bottle. Landing on an unsuspecting Seungcheol, "Truth," he said. 

 

"Why haven't you contacted any of us?" Joy quickly shot him a look that potrayed her dissapointment.

 

"Ah about that," Seungcheol scratched the back of his styled hair, "I wasn't allowed to have a phone during my trainee days. Actually, I just got my phone a week ago after I begged the manager hyung to give me one so that I can tell them that I could make it today." 

 

Yerin smiled at the boy and the gaping girl. Joy felt so selfish, here she was thingking that he had avoided her intentionally when he had actually been begging to just come here. Joy hung her head low in embarassedment. 

 

Yerin had once again spun the bottle, this time, landing on Joy, "Dare" 

 

Yerin had thought very hard before breaking into an evil grin, " I dare you to eat one whole chilli!" 

 

Joy's head had snapped to the cackling girl. She knew that she couldn't eat spicy food. Joy smiled a defeated smile before choosing her chilli, sometimes she wondered whether her friend was an angel or a devil in disguise. 

 

Seungcheol had watched the girl place the tip of chilli into her clips. Biting it she had already begun to sweat and turn red. Joy had automatically reached for the water while making faces, she has never changed after all. 

 

Seungcheol smiled and offered her his drink. After she had drunk both hers and Seungcheol's water she had begged Yerin to not continue the dare. But before Yerin could continue, Seungcheol had grabbed her half eaten chilli and popped it into his mouth. Yerin had clapped and praised Seungcheol, calling him macho for being Joy's black knight. 

 

"Yah!" Joy caught his attention. She had stared at Seungcheol's eyes trying to see if he had, in fact, the same person who she remembers before. This caused the said boy to lean back and blush, "You said you hated spicy foods!" 

 

"Well, I've changed now," He shyly replied. 

 

"Oh yeah, now you're all famous" Joy pouted just like she did in their memories, "Now you're too good for us."

 

He gave her a heart-melting smile before saying, "No, now I'm just more courageous to say and do things I have never said or done before.

 

And with that, she placed her own hand on her chest and felt her heart skip a beat

 

 

 

A/N: 

Another long update! This one is 3,500 words but I felt like I rushed it in the end but I wanted to eat so I need to finish it as soon as possible 

For those who requested thank you~ I will not be taking any more requests once the list is full. 

I am also warnign people that if you don't give me a senario I might turn your requests into heavy angst or just random crap so be prepared! 

THANK YOU EVERYBODY. YOU MADE THIS WEEK SO FUN FOR ME!