[04] Joy and Jongkook: Her very own fairy tale

Glimpses of Joy

He stood before her with a bunch of roses at hand. Smiling from ear to ear, he had heard her short but sweet reply. Yes. He never knew that one little word could make him the happiest man on earth. 

 

It wasn't as if he had asked her to marry him, but he felt as if it could have very well lead to it. The girl of his dreams had answered his awkward confession with the faithful word. Joy stood there with her signature toothy grin with beautiful brown eyes, gradually gathering tears which would later stain her porcelain-like skin. 

 

In her happiness she walked closer to him and hugged him whispering, "Thank you. I don't deserve you.

 

With a smile on his face, a tear escaped his eye as he hugged her back as tightly as he could with his gentle arms. 

 

And with that, their blissful moments begun to unfold in front of them. 

 

On their third year together, Joy had suddenly collapsed. The ever-agile, Jongkook had been able to catch the falling girl. Grabbing his mobile from his pocket, he had quickly dialled for an ambulance. Joy had never been sick before, she was neither stressed or unhealthy, so Jongkook had no idea what could have caused her to faint. Placing his phone flush against his cheek he begun to talk to the lady on the line.

 

"Hello, please state your emergency." 

 

"You have to help me. My girlfriend had just collapsed, she's won't wake up," He stated as clearly as possible despite his obviously shaky voice. 

 

"Okay sir, please calm down. I need you to state your name and your current location. We'll send an ambulance to you as soon as possible." The way the lady had spoken irked him. How could she be so calm? Joy could die, how could she sound so calm? 

 

"My name is Jung Jongkook, I am at 3rd level of an apartment complex in 187 Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam." Jongkook had never spoken so fast in his life. The lady on the phone had assured him that the girl would be alright as another wave of panic had begun to resurface. 

 

By the time the ambulance had arrived, Jongkook had let his frustration show. While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, Jongkook had let a string of colourful words leave his lips. She was brought out on the stretcher with Jongkook following closely behind, tripping over his own feet in his haste. 

 

Entering the back of the ambulance, Jongkook sat right beside his girlfriend, holding her hand in his.He bent down to her ear and whispered reassuring statements to her, "You're going to be okay. After our trip to the doctors, we'll eat ice cream." 

 

Once taken to the hospital, the nurses had quickly ushered her to a room before professionally blocking of her boyfriend from entering. From behind the closed doors, Jongkook sat on the closest chair and waited in pure agony. He could hear the chaos erupt in the room where the love of his life had just entered. 

 

Doctors could be heard shouting orders to their nurses as machines beeped constantly. Jongkook's legs begun to shake involuntary as his nerves begun to eat away his sanity. Standing up, Jongkook begun to walk from one side of the waiting room to another. He had already called her parents and her sisters on the way to the hospital, so it was no surprise to see her mother running towards him with a look panic painted across her face. 

 

"Jongkook, where is she?" Mrs. Park asked frantically. 

 

"They had taken her in about 30 minutes ago" Jongkook replied, holding the older lady steady afraid that her legs would give way any second. 

 

"What happened?" Mr. Park fired him questions after questions. 

 

Jongkook had hung his head low. He had failed Mr Park, he had promised her father that he would take care of her, yet there she was rushed to the hospital for some unknown reason. He felt as if he was to blame.

 

"Son, what happened?" Jongkook looked up to see his father and mother rushing to him. How did they know he was here? 

 

"I called your mum and dad and told them that you were here, it seemed like you needed some support Oppa. I hope you're not mad at me." Joy's youngest sister smiled at him. He ruffled her hair and placed a small kiss on top of her head before whispering a silent thank you. 

 

Before he could reply to his father's question, the doctor had exited the room with a clipboard in his hand looking for the patient's family. 

 

Joy's parent had stood up automatically. The doctor had also requested the boy who had called the ambulance to follow them to the doctor's private office. 

 

The three sat nervously waiting for the doctor to speak about Joy's condition. 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Once seated, the doctor had gone on and on about a fatal genetic disease called Cystic Fibrosis that affected a patient's lungs over time. The doctor had explained that Joy's disease was due to her mother being a carrier of the defective gene. Joy's mother had begun to weep almost instantly, she had cursed herself for being a bad mother for giving her precious daughter an incurable curse.

 

Mr Park had immediately hugged the weeping mother and whispered soft encouragements while rubbing her back gently. Though the man was determined to stay strong for both his wife and daughter, he had failed to keep a tear from falling against his cheeks. 

 

Jongkook shook his head in denial, "You're wrong." 

 

"We have run tests and we have gathered enough evidence to diagnose Ms Park with positive Cystic Fibrosis." The doctor looked at the boy who vigorously shook his head against his statement. 

 

"She's been healthy ever since I met her. She runs and hikes with me every Saturday morning. She doesn't eat as much junk food as I do," Jongkook had begun to babble on, "You need to check again." 

 

The doctor shook his head, "I would guess that lately, Ms Park had been having difficulty breathing during your usual run or hike together."

 

Jongkook was about to open his mouth in immediate response when a certain not-so-distant memory had resurfaced from his mind.

 

About 3 weeks ago, Joy had been experienced shortness of breath after a 10-minute break from their usual hiking activity. Jungkook had laughed at her calling her 'unfit' during one of their monthly hikes around the forest near the lake where they live. Joy lightly punched him in return, smiling as the boy pretended to be hurt from the contact. The two were quick to disregard the girl's change in breathing, continuing their hike around the forest.

 

Jongkook's silent reply had prompt the doctor to continue, "She would have also experienced difficulty growing for a few years now."

 

Jongkook's face was painted with a frown as he was reminded of his memories with Joy.

 

For the past years, Joy had difficulty gaining weight despite eating almost double the amount of rice Jongkook would eat every meal. Joy had laughed and praised the heavens for finally allowing her to eat in peace without worrying about her weight. Jongkook had smiled at her as he saw her laughing face. 

 

As the doctor had seen Jongkook's frown deepen, he was sure that the boy had accepted the inevitable future, "How long does she have left?" 

 

"Since she had only shown symptoms now, I am afraid that we can't do any-" Before the doctor could finish his long statement Jongkook's shoulders had begun to shake in anger. If the girl of his dreams had a limited amount of time with him, then why should he waste his time with listening to a long and winded lecture from a doctor who probably don't even care about her. 

 

"Save your long lecture for someone who cares!" The doctor flinched as Jongkook slammed his fists on the table creating a chilling silence, "How long does she have?"

 

A deafening silence had befallen the group inside the room as the doctor had solemnly replied. The youngest boy had stood up and left the room heading straight to the room of his precious sleeping girlfreind. He pulled out a chair to sit beside her, placing her cold hand in his, he continued to look at her peaceful face covered with an oxygen mask. 

 

Mr and Mrs Park had exited the room supporting each other. It wasn't rocket science to figure out that the doctor had to deliver some unwanted news. 

 

Joy's sisters had tried to interrogate the younger boy who had left earlier, however, he kept his head hung low and had walked straight to Sooyoung's room. So the two younger girls had approached their crying mother and had supported her off their father's hold leading her to sit on a free seat. While their attention was at their mother, their father had quietly exited the waiting room and took a solitary walk around the hospital to release his frustration. 

 

"What did he say?" The youngest girl had questioned their mother. 

 

"2 years." She replied as her entire frame had begun to shake. The older couple had let out a painful gasp indicating their understanding of the current situation. Mrs Jung looked towards the direction of her son, her eyes collecting a pool of tears as she tried to imagine how her son must be feeling.

 

"What do you mean 2 years?" The other daughter asked, "Unnie needs 2 years of treatment?"

 

Mr Jung had held placed a hand on each girl before breaking the news to the young girls. The girls had begun to deny his statement, automatically calling him a liar. However, after a few more minutes, the news had finally to dawn on them and their knees gave up behind them making them sit on the floor with hot tears sliding down their eyes. 

 

The youngest girl looked at Mr and Mrs Jung with tears stained face and asked, "But Unnie told me that she wanted to marry Oppa after she finishes college. How can she do that if she isn't even going to be alive to finish her studies?" 

 

The married couple had given the girl a painful smile knowing perfectly well that their son had also wanted to marry the sick girl. 

 

"She promised that we would be her maid of honour," The other girl had wept in response, "I want to see Unnie in a wedding dress, I want to see her live her fairy tale, I want to see her happy." 

 

Hearing this Mrs Park had let out a loud wail realising that her previous firstborn would never be able to accomplish her dreams. The girls had hugged her mother and let their tears fall together.

 

 

 

---

 

 

Meanwhile, the boy continued to hold the girl's hand with complete adoration. He wondered as to what had he done in the past that mad him deserve someone as perfect as her. A smile crept to his lips when she had stirred in her sleep. 

 

Jongkook couldn't bring himself to look at her knowing full well that wires were coming out of almost every part of her body. But he wanted to look at her face and when he mustered enough courage, he lifted his head and looked at his girl's  covered face.

 

Tearing his eyes off her face, Jongkook had shifted the sleeping girl to the side of her hospital bed before climbing to lay beside her. Carefully lifting her head, Jongkook stretched his right arm and rested the girl's head against his hard chest with his right arm curling around Joy's tiny frame. Resting his chin on top of her head, Jongkook sniffed a familiar apple scent from her hair, engraving the intoxicating smell into his brain afraid that one day he might never be able to smell it again. 

 

When he was sure that the girl in his arms wouldn't be able to see his face, Jongkook had finally allowed his tears to fall. He would be damned if he made Joy worried over his vulnerable state. He stayed silent for a few more minutes savouring each second they had together. 

 

Without breaking contact, Jongkook searched for her left hand holding it in his own, "I love how your hair smells of apples."

 

"I love how you sit in the most unusual way," He painfully smiled as he remembers their time together.

 

"I love how you eat more than me," He laughed bitterly.

 

"I love how you sleep like a little child," He looked down to the sleeping figure in his arms.

 

"I love how you are so straightforward," He shifted his gaze to the ceiling attempting to stop the new wave of tears threatening to spill.

 

"I love how you could understand me without even talking," Giving up fighting against his feelings, Jongkook allowed his tears to fall once again. 

 

"I love how smooth your skin is," His hand brushed against her bare arm. 

 

"I love how your body perfect fits underneath my arms," He hugged her even tighter. 

 

"You have been there through the good and bad times of my life and for the past years you have been my light and joy." 

 

Taking a deep breath to calm his aching heart he continued, "I wouldn't mind if you were also there for the rest of my life." Taking a tighter hold of her left hand be gave a nervous sigh, "Park Sooyoung, would you make me the happiest man alive and be my wife?" 

 

He gave her a few minutes to respond before laughing nervously, "If you don't say anything, I will take it as yes." 

 

Another round of silence enveloped the two before Jongkook laughed bitterly and whispered, "I guess that makes you Jung Sooyoung now. Welcome to the family Sooyoungie." 

 

Instead of grabbing a small velvet box, Jongkook fished for his felt tip pen from his pocket. Bringing her left-hand closer to his face, Jongkook had begun to draw two circles around her fourth finger.

 

"Since I have no money to buy you a wedding ring right now, I guess this would do for now," Jongkook smiled in satisfaction seeing his creation, adding a small doodle of a jewel between his drawn wedding ring, "I will get a job and promise to replace it with a proper wedding ring. So until then you better not leave me." 

 

Satisfied with his conversation with her, Jongkook had let her left hand rest on his chest and closed his eyes preparing to join her in slumber. However, a small creak of the door had alerted him. Looking at the door his sister-in-laws popped their head attempting to be as quiet as possible. Jongkook smiled at the two noticing their stained faces. Lifting up his finger to his pursed lips, he had signalled the girls to remain quiet to avoid disturbing their sleeping sister. 

 

The girls giggled to themselves as they caught a glimpse of the sleeping girl's left hand. The girl had quietly exited the room to leave the two to rest. And with that their catastrophic day had ended with the two tangled in an intimate embrace on a hospital bed.

 

 

 

---

 

 

His feet had once again led him to a a hill with shaded by a large oak tree where an engraved stone stood. He looked at the stone in front of him with a bitter smile. 

 

Releasing a sigh, Jongkook had carefully plopped himself on the grass right in front of the carved stone. Stretching out his right arm to lay across the grass just like he did when he had proposed to her, he begun to look up to the skies. 

 

"The skies are so clear today. No clouds in sight, just like the day we met. Do you remember how we met?" Jongkook paused as if waiting for her reply. 

 

"You were wearing your favourite pyjamas while running around trying to chase your little sister around the neighbourhood. I remember I laughed at you thinking that you were some sort of lunatic, yet I distinctly remember how cute you looked in the morning. Days after that I walked in the same route at the same time, hoping that I would catch a glimpse of a half-asleep girl chasing her sister in her pyjamas." Jongkook smiled happily at the memory. 

 

Taking out a small red velvet box, he opened it and observed a elegant band of silver metal enveloping a small shining diamond, glinting as the light reflected from its surface, "As promised, I came to replace your wedding ring with a better one. It took me awhile but after a few months of hard work, I had finally bought you one." 

 

Not waiting for a reply or an appreciative gasp Jongkook lifted his left hand looking at the matching metal bands, "I kept my promise, so why didn't you?"

 

He stood up and placed the precious velvet box on top of the engraved stone which had the words 'In loving memory of Jung Sooyoung. The precious daughter, sister, friend and wife.' 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: 

Sorry for the long delay! Thank the Lord this chapter is way shorter than the previous chapter but I must confess this chapter was even harder to write. 

I don't know, I can't really write angst. Like I think I am too much of an optimist to write something so sad. 

I know some of you might have been expecting a fluff from me but then again, everyone must be getting tired of all the cheese that I served up. 

I must apologise to the person who requested Joy and Jongkook and expected a fluff from me. I got too bored from constantly writing fluff. So I give you some angst!!! 

I secretly want everyone to cry from this. Also, I apologise if I wasn't able to fully capture Jongkook's character. he has a difficult character to portray but I did my best. Please don't kill me armies. 

I give credits to those who gave me an inspiration: My Spring Days (Korean Drama) and Full House (Korean Drama)

Please comment because I love people who comments!!! They are my life source plus they make me update quicker