[08] Joy and Johnny: The letter U

Glimpses of Joy

Sooyoung wasn't really the most fluent person in English, to be frank, she was by far the worst female trainee in the company's long history. Her level of English could rival of that of an 2 year old who had only begun to string a couple of words together.

 

Upon entering the company, the casting staff had asked her to attempt to converse with herself in English. However, the staff were thoroughly surprised upon hearing the shortest conversation ever.

 

Sooyoung had begun her made-up conversation with the simple English words, "Hi, Uhm. Your name?"

 

This had made one of the staff within the panel to smile in embarrassment as she could clearly hear the strong Korean accent within her intonation and pronunciation.

 

Sooyoung carried on, obliviously unaware of her mistakes, "My name is Sooyoung. Thank you. Bye."

 

Some of the casting staff had turned around to suppress their laughter as the young girl gave her very best attempt.

 

With a large and wide smile still plastered on her face, Sooyoung observed and waited until the all the casting staff were finally calm and are able to talk without bursting into laughter. Feeling a little hurt, Sooyoung remained smiling, anxiously eager to get out of the suffocating room under the gaze of the 5 casting staffs.

 

"So, we have reviewed your profile and have reached a unanimous decision," A female casting staff said as she flipped the pages of a folder containing all of Sooyoung's information.

 

"Welcome to SM Entertainment. We look forward to working hard with you."

 

Joy smile vanished almost instantly.

 

'Had she heard her right?' Sooyoung asked herself as she stared at the panel of staff sitting in front of her. A smile from one of the staff seemed to have snapped the young girl from her dreams.

 

"Thank you!" Sooyoung replied ecstatically in Korean, "You won't regret your decision. Thank you so much"

 

 

---

 

 

 

8 months on, one would think that the girl would improve once her Wendy-unnie had been assigned to privately attempt to tutor her with her language classes, however, the girl's inability to produce proper pronunciation had forced the Canadian native to throw the white flag after long hours spent beside the girl.

 

"Honestly Sooyoung," The Canadian native laughed in Korean, "I don't understand how you can still be in the same level for English classes despite having private tutoring from me and Kathy-unnie. I mean Kathy-unnie has never seen a trainee like you and she has been an English tutor for SM trainees for years. I mean congratulations, that must be a feat that much."

 

"Unnie," the younger girl whined as a reply, "It's not like I want to in English, I'm trying my best."

 

"I know, I know." Wendy replied as the two girls exit from a small room where they had often conducted their private English tutorials.

 

The two girls then checked their phones to proceed to their next individual schedule. With a small nonchalant wave, the two girls separated ways at the end of the hallway where Sooyoung went to proceed to her dancing practice room.

 

With both earphones secured within her ears, Sooyoung entered the room without looking, much less knocking on the hard-wooden door.

 

Without stopping, the girl made a bee-line to the couch on the room's left corner, however, a wall seemed to have randomly grown from out of the ground, startling the girl to a stop. Sooyoung stopped and looked up and saw a tall young man with sweat dripped brown locks clinging to the sides of his face. Removing the earphones from her ears, Sooyoung listened to the boy who had placed a hand behind her back to stop the girl from falling.

 

"Are you okay?" The boy asked Sooyoung in a low tone in English with a charming smile plastered on his handsome yet tired face. His shoulders move up and down in a rapid pace as he tries to catch his breath from what seemed to be from his intense dance practice. Soooyoung continued to watch the rising and falling of his chest, seemingly hypnotized by every breath that the boy took.

 

"I'm, uhm...hello!" Sooyoung replied trying to string together enough words in English to form a sentence, which she hoped would make sense.

 

A roar of laughter of could be heard as the other boys made their presence known.

 

"Very smooth hyung," Jaehyun interrupted the two in English, "Nicely done."

 

Sooyoung whipped her head from the brunette boy to the talking blonde.

 

"You can't try and pick up girls during practice Johnny," Ten smacked the brunette's back, "I'm sorry about that miss..."

 

The boy smiled at her ushering her to say her name. However, the girl remained doe eyed, confused with the English conversation that the boys had chosen to communicate with.

 

"Ah, no...uhm, I'm sorry, I don't English." Sooyoung smiled awkwardly as she had now used her full English vocabulary in a confused conversation.

 

This caused another round of laughter from the boys, with some literally rolling on the wooden floorboards of the practice room.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" The brunette boy clapped his hands, gathering the attention of the laughing boys. Finally switching to Korean, "She must be new here, stop laughing."

 

With a sigh of relief, Sooyoung meekly replies, "No, I've been a trainee for 8 months now."

 

"8 months?" A young-looking man replies, "And your English is still like that?"

 

"Yah! Mark! That's no way to talk to a lady." The brunette scolded the younger boy who had placed both his hands on his mouth seemingly surprised by his own words.

 

"Sorry noona."

 

"It's okay." She smiled at the young boy, shy from the brunette's choice of words to describe her.

 

A familiar face popped from the growing number of boys that were surrounding her.

 

"Aish, Johnny-hyung you can't keep on being like that to every girl you see." Doyoung slapped Johnny's hand away from Sooyoung's back and stood between the two. "Don't mind him Sooyoung-ah, you know how westerners are always too friendly."

 

Sooyoung nodded absentmindedly, still confused with what was happening despite the conversation being in complete Korean.

 

Johnny disregarded the red head and peeked at the girl from Doyoung's shoulder, "Ah, you must be Sooyoung! I'm Johnny, Johnny Seo."

 

Sooyoung just smiled in reply as she watched the tallest shove Doyoung like a rag doll. "I must say, you really  at English. You should stop skipping your English classes. If the trainers knew that you skip your classes you're going to get in trouble."

 

"I don't skip any classes," Joy pouted, "I always go to English class, I even get extra tutorials from Kathy-unnie and Wendy-unnie but even then, they say I'm hopeless."

 

"Really?" Johnny's eye grew large that Sooyoung was scared that his eye might fall out, "Wow, You must really if 3 people are tutoring you can you still can't make a full sentence in English."

 

"Hey," The girl replied clearly downcast from what he had heard from the boy.

 

"Oh!" Johnny exclaimed, gaining the girl's attention, "I can teach you if you want! I'm good in English but my Korean can be better. How about you help me with Korean and I can try to help you with your English."

 

The boys' ear perked up, typical friendly Johnny. No one really knows if the boy was just being friendly or if he was actually interested.

 

"I can help too!" Jeahyun and Ten chorused together as they attempted to walk closer to the girl only to be stopped by Johnny who had a hand in each of the boys' shirt dragging them back away from the girl.

 

"You guys? No thanks." Johnny replied for Sooyoung, "Ten you can't even speak proper English, your pronunciation . And Jeahyun, just because you've lived in America for 4 years doesn't mean you can actually speak English."

 

"Hyung," The two whined as they were dragged to the opposite side of the room.

 

"Uhm" Sooyoung replied feeling very awkward as she ebbed her way closer to the door in her hopes to escape while the boys were busy. Right before she could open the door wide enough to squeeze herself through, a voice called out to her.

 

"Sooyoung, let's meet next week Tuesday at 3pm in the English class room for our first lesson!" Johnny yelled as she escaped the chaos within the room.

 

---

 

 

 

Johnny skipped along the company on a gloomy Tuesday morning, his bright smile in contrast with the grey clouds in the sky. He had made a quick trip to the local library to get enough resources to help him to teach English to his one and only student. Caught up in his thoughts, Johnny bumped shoulder with a female trainee.

 

"Oh sorry," Johnny bowed to Seulgi who smiled in return.

 

"Its okay Johnny," She smiled back with her eyes sparkling in mirth, "I heard you have a new student."

 

"Ah yeah, Sooyoung-ah" With a smile and a scratch of his nape the boy shyly replied, "Do you know her?"

 

"Yeah I've talked to her a few times before." Seulgi smiled. "Good luck with that one."

 

"Why? Is she that bad?"

 

Seulgi giggled, sensing the worry from his voice, "No, I don't think so, but I was Wendy's psychologist after her lessons with the girl. She kept on saying how the girl never got any better despite trying everything"

 

"Well maybe she just can't learn from you girls," Johnny reasoned, feeling the need to protect his little student.

 

"Pfft," Seulgi laughed, "What are you going to do any different? Seduce her?"

 

Johnny's head whipped to face her. Well, it wasn't like it was a bad idea. Might as well try if nothing works. Might come in handy later.

 

"Well I'm going to be late to my class with my favorite student. I need to go." Johnny began to walk away, "See you!"

 

"Oh?" Seulgi exclaimed, gathering the tall boy's attention, "Didn't she tell you she's still a high schooler?"

 

"What?" The boy exclaims.

 

"Her class doesn't finish until 5pm today." Oh.

 

"I guess I’ll just have to wait for my beloved student." He smiled as he walked away from the petite girl.

 

 

---

 

 

 

"Aish, it's raining again!" Sooyoung exclaimed as she rummages through her bag looking for her umbrella, "I must have forgotten it at the train. I better not get sick or else vocal coach will scold me again."

 

With her bag on her head, shielding her from the rain, Sooyoung was stopped by a hoard of girls lingering by the school gate. They all whispered and squealed while not caring of the traffic that they have caused by the school gate. Feeling frustrated and impatient, Sooyoung opted to walk around and squeeze through the hoard of girls, until a familiar voice called out to her.

 

"Sooyoung-ah?"

 

With a fright, Sooyoung whipped her head to the source of voice, only to find Johnny leaning against the school gate with an umbrella shielding him from the rain.

 

Squeezing through the crowd, Johnny made his way to his favorite student, placing the umbrella high enough to cover both of them. Standing closer, Johnny placed an arm around Sooyoung’s shoulder and moves her closer to make sure that they both stayed dry.

 

"Hey are you ready for our lesson?" Johnny smiled as he asked her in English once again, making the other girls who had been eavesdropping squeal in delight.

 

Sooyoung pulled the said boy away from the girls and whispers, "What are you doing here sunbae?"

 

Johnny smiles and brushes his fingers through his hair confidently, "I'm here to pick you up."

 

Cue another road of squealing girls in the background.

 

Without further ado, Johnny grabbed Sooyoung's wrist and dragged her off to the direction of the company. Despite Sooyoung's protest, Johnny had brought her to an empty classroom and began his lessons to basic English.

 

"Alright since we're starting from the very start, we'll learn about letters." Johnny smiled to her while he opened his 'English for dummies' book.

 

'What does he think I am? Stupid? Of course, I know about letters' Sooyoung scoffed internally.

 

Sensing a problem, Johnny turned to his student and smiled, "Is there anything wrong Sooyoung-ah?"

 

"Uhm," Sooyoung hesitated, "I already know about letters, it was the first lesson Kathy-unnie taught me."

 

"Ok!" Johnny exclaimed, "Then you wouldn't mind participating in a test then?"

 

"T-test?" Sooyoung gulped. She had never been good with language tests, much less an English test.

 

"Yeah," Johnny smirked, "I will put something in front of you and you will have to tell me what letter they start with, in English of course."

 

In the beginning the boy had placed items she had known of. Items like paper, marker, apple, book and ruler. However, a sudden change of tactic made her feel uncomfortable as the awkward atmosphere seemed to have intensified between the two.

 

Seemingly satisfied, Johnny decided to up the ante, and grabbed her hand in his large ones.

 

Sooyoung was obviously startled and almost immediately attempted to retrieve her hand, however her hand remains in his firm yet gentle grasp.

 

"What am I doing?" Johnny asked her in Korean.

 

"Holding my h-hand?" Sooyoung trembled as Johnny's thumb begins to move, rubbing against her own skin in a circular motion.

 

Johnny nodded his head and asked, "What letter repeats in the English sentence 'Holding my hand?'"

 

Taking an obvious scoot away from her teacher, Sooyoung replied, "H."

 

Johnny smiled charmingly and finally released Sooyoung's hand. She waived a sigh of relief, worried over the accumulated sweat that had formed on her hand.

 

However, feeling the need to further progress in his lesson, Johnny moves closer to the girl and places his warm hand on her cheek.

 

"How about now? What am I doing?" Johnny asks as his thumb repeats a familiar motion on her now reddening cheek.

 

"C-caressing my c-cheek?" Sooyoung replied, leaning further away from Johnny.

 

"And those words start with?" Johnny asks as he leans even closer.

 

"C." She replied meekly as she holds her breath and close her eyes as Johnny edges closer.

 

"And how about now? What am I doing now?"

 

Taking a gulp, Sooyoung opened her eyes and was met face to face with her teacher who seemed to be even more perfect up close. Upon further inspection Sooyoung moved away from Johnny as she had realized that the boy had been staring at her, well a specific part of her.

 

"Looking at my l-lips," She replied snakingly, almost terrified that he might feel her breath on his own lips.

 

"Mhm" Johnny replied, taking a step closer "And?"

 

"It starts with L" Sooyoung replied with her eyes closed, preparing herself for what would have to come next, according to dramas she had previously watched. However, nothing but a pat to the head came as a beep from his phone echoed within the almost empty room. His pat to the head made Sooyoung's eyes flutter open, making a brief eye contact with his.

 

"Good job Sooyoungie," Johnny returned to his table and grabbed his books, ready to leave. "I have homework for you to do until our next lesson."

 

Striding closer, Johnny watched as Sooyoung flinched and leaned further away from him. With his ever-charming smile, Johnny hands her a small piece of paper and said, "Decipher this message and we'll see if we can give you a reward."

 

 

---

 

 

 

And with that, Sooyoung was left in the room with a crimson face. She had never thought that Johnny would do such a thing. However, determined to get her homework out of the way, Sooyoung headed to Wendy and gave her the piece of paper.

 

"Unnie Johnny gave me a homework," Sooyoung complained, "He said I needed to figure out what it says but I can't read it, it's in English."

 

After a second of unfolding the paper, Wendy's eyes grew large as she gave a loud scoff and gave her most dramatic eye roll she could muster. "That guy!"

 

"Why Unnie? What does it say?" Sooyoung asked.

 

"Girl you need to find a new interpreter," Wendy tossed back the paper to the waiting girl, "I'm never ever going to read your homework again. I don't want to read that about you two, I feel like I would die from too much cheese."

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

Looking back at those years being a trainee. Joy had now debuted within a girl group and had dramatically improved in her English and all it took was one little note. One little note that is now in her hand, crumpled and stained, yet intact. It was the first of many homework that the boy had given her at the end of every lesson and yet she found herself wanting more.

 

And now she can practically recite the words written on her note.

 

Girl are you the letter U because I can't imagine my future without you.

 

 

A/N:

Guess who is alive?? MEEEE

This chapter may be a bit long but you won't understand this  unless you actually read the last word.

Anyways sorry for the super late update! I know I said I would update Crackship first but that one is really hard to write especially the next chapter so I had to write this instead.

THIS CHAPTER NO SENSE!! SO PLEASE DON’T MIND IT! I HAVE BEEN UP FOR TOO LONG TODAY I NEED SLEEP!

Anyways feel free to comment and list down what you think! I think this chapter is my worst. Not happy at it at all.

I plan to edit all the chapters so don’t mind any notifications from it if you get a lot after this!

Anyways goodnight I love you all and comment down below or else I might take an even longer hiatus!