[10] Joy and Bobby: My happiness and joy

Glimpses of Joy

She didn't miss it. Sooyoung couldn't.
 


There he was, her boyfriend for 2 years, in a secluded corner of a rarely used hallway at the end of the school with a girl who she had never seen before. 
 


The girl was tightly wrapped in his hands. While hers s around his neck, sensually moving her hands through his scalp. 
 


"Oppa," she whispered. "Someone might see us." 
 


"Aniyo," he replied as he placed small kisses on her lips. "This is my secret place in school. Only my friends know about this and they all have class so don't worry." 
 


"How about your girlfriend?" she asked with a smile of satisfaction. 
 


"Sooyoung?" He continued to ravish her lips. 
 


Upon hearing her name, Sooyoung hid behind the wall. Her broken heart beating anxiously in anticipation of what he would say. She had been searching for her boyfriend throughout the school as his friends have asked her for his whereabouts since he has missed the first subject. Being extremely worried, the girl spent the next subject looking for her boyfriend.
 


"Don't worry about her," he paused to catch his breath keeping their foreheads touching. "I've been with you for more than a year and she still hasn't caught on. I mean I even gave her hints before but I don't think she wants to believe that her beloved boyfriend could, in fact, have affair with the hottest girl in school. Besides, she would never let me do something like this to her." 
 


Placing her hand tightly in front of her whimpering mouth, Sooyoung smothered any cries that were threatening to escape her lips.
 


Drip.
 


Closing her eyes, Sooyoung willed to have her memories erased from her mind. 
 


Drip
 


As her body trembled under her suppressed cries, Sooyoung' knees gave way.
 


Drip.
 


She continued to cry as echoes of what transpired between the two smothered her quiet sobs.
 

 


***

 

 

 


"We should go now, the teachers might get suspicious," the girl whispered as she straightened her uniform. 
 


After crying for what seemed like an eternity, Sooyoung had staggered to her feet eager to leave the place to avoid the two. She didn't want them to see her in a state. Yet her feet remained rooted on the ground.
 


"Okay," She heard him speak. "I'll leave first. Go back to class  after 10 minutes." 
 


Desperate to escape the awkward confrontation, Sooyoung staggered into the nearest dimly lit empty classroom, quickly closing shut the door behind her. her breath, Sooyoung dared not give a sigh of relief until she had heard the girls footstep move away from her new hideout. 
 


Once she was certain that two had vacated the area, Sooyoung gave shaky sigh. 
 


She wasn't sure if she could cry anymore. Sitting on the floor with her head resting on the wooden door, Sooyoung tilted her head to the ceiling while giving a bitter laugh. 
 


She should've known. All those times where he would reject her invitation to have an afterschool date were not all just because he was too busy with his homework. Or that time where he had conveniently delivered the news that his dog had died during their anniversary, thus, preventing him to spend time with her. Sooyoung should have known. It was all there. The signs were all there, yet she chose to give a blind eye to his inability to spend time. Heck even her friends had also noticed the growing distance between the couple.  

 

Sooyoung smiled to no one in particular as she cursed her naivety, "That's what you get for believing in love at first sight." 


 
She continued to sob until a deep voice woke her from her trance, "There's nothing wrong with believing in love at first sight." 
 


Sooyoung raised her head and blinked away the tears that remained in her eyes. She scanned the room and found a boy in the far corner of the room who was sitting in the teacher's chair with his feet casually resting on the large desk. Beside him, a girl irritated eyed Sooyoung as she seemed to have interrupted something between the two.


 
As Sooyoung looked at the girl, the boy shifted his gaze to follow hers. The boy smiled and shooed the girl stuck to his side, "We're finished Sam, go back and play with one of your boys." 


 
"Hey!" She squeaked in her high pitched voice. "We were just getting to the good part." 
 


The boy stood, detaching himself from the girl's limbs, "I'm done. We're done," He didn't spare her a glance as he walked towards the still crying Sooyoung, "Sam just leave before I get really annoyed at you. You know how much I hate desperate girls." 
 


With another squeak, the girl left the room with tears streaming down her face, "I hate you Jiwon!" 


 
The boy took more steps towards Sooyoung who had hugged her knees to her chest at the opposite corner of the room. 


 
Finally reaching his destination, Jiwon's shoes made a quiet squeak before halting right in front of the curled girl. The boy bent to her level and stared into her brown watery orbs. 


 
"As I said before," The boy caressed her head. "Honey, there's nothing wrong with believing in love at first sight. As long as you don't regret it. But even if you do I can always be here for you to cry on. I hear people say I am quite good at fixing broken hearts." 


 
Sooyoung squatted his hand away before looking up at him with slight irritation, 'How insensitive can this jerk be?' 


 
"What makes you think I have a broken heart?" She retorted back obviously annoyed. 


 
"Well you were bawling your eyes just a few minutes ago," He scoffed as he stood and walked to the nearest chair. "Did you get rejected?"


 
"No," She mumbled, "I wasn't."


 
"Ahh!" He yelled in English, "You got dumped by your longtime boyfriend?"


 
"No!" She fumed as she remembered what had occurred minutes before, "And I don't see how this is any of your business, Jiwon-shii." 


 
Ignoring her sarcasm, a thought passed through his mind. "You must have been cheated on then," He smirked as he reached his conclusion. "You must have seen him with some girl outside." 


 
"I don't understand why I am obliged to tell you something about my personal life," She breathed as she prepared a lie to save her dignity. "Besides I was getting sick of him anyway."


 
For a second he could have believed her but her glassy eyes and trembling lips gave her true emotions away.


 
"You don't have to cry over someone as worthless as him," He scoffed. "He probably doesn't deserve someone like you anyways." 


 
Feeling insulted, Sooyoung stood and gave him a glare, "No offense Jiwon-shii. I know that you might be famous around here but you have no right to tell me whether someone deserves me or not. Especially since you guys aren't really that far off from each other." 


 
Stalling for a second, Jiwon was about to retort back a snarky reply when Sooyoung opened the door and glanced back at the boy, "It would do you good to pretend that you've never talked to me and I'll do the same to you. That way you can go back to that girl that you were with before." 


 
And with another silent second, the door closed with a slam as the girl disappeared into the oblivion. 


 
"Huh," Jiwon sighed as he ran his hand across his face with a small smirk forming on his lips. "I don't do well with orders from other people." 


 
"But challenge accepted."
 

 


---
 

 

 


Sooyoung idled with Yerin on the school's corridor as they gathered their books for their first period. 

 

"How are you and your boyfriend? Still too busy to meet in the morning?" Yerin casually asked. 

 

This made Sooyoung flinch as she replied with a bitter smile, "Yeah, I think his teacher is too strict with him so he has extra homework to do. So yeah, he's busy."

 


The two are often one of the earliest students within the school, however, the unusually large number of girls present were usually an indication that something big has happened.


 
"I can't believe Bobby actually is in class today." 


 
"I wouldn’t have believed you if you hadn't sent me the picture." 


 
"What's even more surprising is that he's here super early."


 
Murmurs echoed along the hallway as the girls huddled in groups whispered about the school's elusive delinquent.


 
"I heard he broke up with Sam." 


 
"Who's Sam? Was she his latest girlfriend?"


 
"Yeah, but who cares about that? He probably went to school early to get a new girl." 
 


"Duh, why do you think every girl on campus is here so early? Everyone wants to be his new rebound girl." 


 
"Sam? Where have I heard that name before?" Sooyoung wonders out loud as the two walked towards their first period. 

 

 
The two walked into the classroom fully immersed in their conversation regarding the newest movie release in the local cinema. 


 
"Yah!" A deep voice had broken the two from their conversation. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting here. I was getting tired of waiting for you." 


 
The two looked back to the right-hand corner where a boy sat on a spare chair with his feet ever so casually resting on another table.

 
 
Yerin's eyes grew large as a hand went to cover in surprise. 


 
"Bwo?" She scoffed. "Who told you to wait for me? I clearly remember telling you to leave me alone and yet here you are. What do you want?"


 
"Yah!" Yerin's eyes grew even larger as she had never expected her best friend to have any male friends much less an infamous sunbae. "That's not how you talk to a sunbae, much less Bobby sunbae."


 
The boy chuckled as he took his feet off the table to fix his gaze on the girl being scolded by her best friend. "You really should listen to your little friend over here. Where’s your respect?"


 
Yerin slightly blushed as he noticed her. 


 
"I'll give you respect if you deserve it, Bobby-shii" Sooyoung sarcastically replied as she sat on her seat with her back to him. "Besides, you don't seem to be the type to care much about respecting your elders." 


 
"Yah!" He retorted with a slight playful yell. "I guess this leaves me with no choice." 


 
Jiwon stood and walked towards the two girls before turning Yerin, "Sorry, I need to borrow your friend for a few minutes to teach her some manners."


 
In a heartbeat, Jiwon had sent the frozen girl a wink before dragging her best friend away from the room by her wrist. 


 
"Yah!" Sooyoung retorted. "Let me go! People are staring. Let me go!"


 
"Let them stare," he nonchalantly replied as he continued to lead the girl to a place she would have rather forget. "Besides, I wanted to show you something." 

 

 

 
---
 

 

 

 


Upon stopping, Sooyoung followed the boy's point and peered through the window to the view the secluded area within the school grounds. Like an old hazy record on repeat, Sooyoung's heart had once again been broken into tiny pieces as she saw her cheating-boyfriend wrapped within another girl's arms.


 
"Do you think that loser still deserves you?" Jiwon broke her trance as he placed an arm on Sooyoung's shoulder. "I am usually more accommodating to girls who have a broken heart but I really can't stand you right now."


 
Sooyoung looked down to the ground fully understanding what the boy was insinuating. It had been a week since Sooyoung had caught her boyfriend's affair and yet the boy had acted normally in front of her despite providing him with hints of her knowledge of the affair. Jiwon had often witnessed her tearful face as she once again left the school grounds alone. 


 
"If you are hurt, speak up." He murmured as he distanced himself away from the downcasted girl. "Don’t let people like him step all over you. If you don't like your situation, speak up. If you don’t speak up no one can do it for you. This isn't some Cinderella story, you have to stand up for yourself no one can help you if you can't even help yourself." 


 
Sooyoung fiddled with her fingers as she bit her bottom lip preventing any whimper of sound to escape. 


 
"You had no problem speaking up to me when I dragged you here," Jiwon uttered, "Go talk to him. Speak up to him. Tell him that you no longer needed someone like him." 


 
With a slight nod of confirmation, Jiwon smiled as he had once again grabbed her hand - albeit more gently this time - and lead her to a separate area within the school grounds. 

 

 


 
---

 

 

 

 


 
"What are we doing here?" Sooyoung asked as she stood within the booth of the school's broadcasting club.


 
"I told you that you need to speak up, so I came prepared" He smiled as his eyes contained both mischief and pride. "I figured you might back out if you saw his face so I thought it might be better for you to say this to him this way.” 


 
“I can’t say this to the whole school,” Sooyoung protested. "It's not fair for him."


 
"Here you go again, putting others before yourself," Bobby rolled his eyes. "Even when the other person is a worthless piece of trash who clearly didn't think of your wellbeing while he cheated on you."


 
Sensing her discomfort, Bobby sighed, "Besides its too early for anyone to be really listening. Stop thinking about other people. For once please just think about yourself. Just let it off your chest” 


 
Sooyoung searches his face for any hint of mischief but only saw sincerity and truth, so with a long sigh, Sooyoung nodded her hear prompting Bobby to nod to his friend at the broadcasting board. 


 
“Good morning everyone, this is Bobby,” He spoke to the microphone as the red dot begun flashing within the room. “Sorry to disrupt your early morning school routines but a friend of mine has something to say. It would be great if you guys could lend her your ears.” 


 
Sooyoung was so taken back by the boy’s sudden maturity that Bobby had to nudge the girl to speak into the microphone. 


 
With an audible sigh, Sooyoung pressed her lips into a thin line hovering close to the microphone, "Hi guys, sorry for taking your time but I have something important to say. My name is Park Sooyoung and I have something to say to Lee Heonwoo of class 3G." 


 
"For the past 2 years, I have loved you unconditionally. I thought that if I had you by my side I could conquer the world."
Sooyoung's solemn tone reflected her sadness. "I was so happy whenever you walked me home after school or whenever you would come to my house just because you felt like it. In those 2 years, I was so happy."


 
"But that was all in the past," Sooyoung swallowed the lump forming in . "You think I don't notice that every time we set up a date one of your so-called pets conveniently dies. You think I don’t realize that you no longer want to spend time with me. You think I don't hear the gossips flying around the school. You think I don't see you  skipping class to make out with some girl at the empty hallways."


 
Sooyoung gave a bitter laugh as her eyes begun to sting, "But I do. I hear it all, I see it all. I know it all. And I can't tell you how much it hurts me. How much it hurts for me to pretend that everything is okay between us.


 
Sooyoung's mouth whispers as she pours out her heart into her words, "It would have been okay if you had told me that you were no longer in love with me. But you just had to string me along and pretend like nothing was wrong. I would have been hurt but for me to actually see you with another girl is just placing the nail in the coffin."


 
"S-so" Her voice cracks as she wipes her tear stained cheeks, "Let's end this. I deserve better and it's about damn time for me to stand up for myself. After this, I won't cry. I won't cry if I see you with another girl. I won't cry if I get reminded of our past. Because I deserve better. I deserve happiness and you are no longer the source of that. So I hope I don't see your sorry-cheating in the future because this time I won't play dumb, I'll fight back.


 
Feeling overwhelmed, Sooyoung turned around and looked at the ceiling of the broadcasting booth as she wiped the endless tears from her eyes. 
 


"Lee Heonwoo I hope that's enough of a warning for you to stay away from Sooyoung from now on," Bobby's low voice gave off a dangerous taunt, surprising the silently crying girl. "Because if I even hear that you thought of contacting her, trust me when I say this but you wouldn't want to hear the warning that would come out of my mouth." 


 
Sooyoung turned to look at the boy whose glinting eyes screamed murder as he continued to speak into the microphone, "She's done with trashes like you so I hope you wouldn't cross our path in the future." 

 

With a small nod from the boy to the operator outside the room, the red blinking light slowly disappeared. 

 

Bobby turned around to look at the still girl and smiled genuinely, “You did it. You stood up for yourself.” 

 

Sooyoung looked at him with a heavy heart and had once again begun sobbing, “But why does my heart still hurt?”

 

Bobby walked closer to bawling girl pulling her into his arms, “It always hurt at the beginning but that hurt will slowly disappear until you no longer feel it.” 

 

Sooyoung’s tears soaked the boy’s shirt as she continued to rely on him as her legs seemed to have stopped functioning. The boy remained in his spot, tenderly her hair to calm the whimpering girl.

 

Sooyoung angled her head to view the boy’s solemn smile, “Were you also…”

 

She didn’t have to finish her sentence for the boy to respond with a slight nod, “Yeah years ago but that’s all in the past.” 

 

Feeling calmer Sooyoung disentangled herself from the boy and bitterly smiled, “Is that why you jump from one girl to another? Is that your source of happiness?” 

 

“Haha you’re funny,” He sarcastically replied, “But now my heart has healed and I have learned to move on and create my own happiness and hopefully be someone else’s joy in the future.”

 

“One day,” she replied with a brighter smile despite her tear-stained face, “One day I’ll be strong enough to be my own source of happiness. Wait for it and I’ll proudly show you a girl who can stand up on her own and fight her own battles.” 

 

He gave a small laugh as he watched her determined face, “Sure.” 

 

“I’ll look forward to it,” he whispered. “I don’t have anything to do anyway.”

 

His statement earned him a playful shove from the girl as she exited the booth to thank the operator. Bobby idled inside the booth, his eyes following the bowing girl. With a smile of both relief and contentment, Bobby touched his chest, “By then, I hope I am fully ready to be your source of happiness.”

 

 

“Besides I also want to see you happy and full of joy.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: GUESS WHO'S BACK???? 

I know I have said that this was going to be updated years ago but I've been busy but now here it is! 3,500 WORDS!!!!!!!

So sorry for the delay it's just that I couldn't get Bobby's (Jiwon) character right. Like I didn't knwo him enough. And there wasn't much content about him online. I wasn't repreared to watch a reality show on iKON anytime soon. I son't want to stan another group...like please I barely have tome for myself much less a new group. 

I think this is chapter is very dear to me because I am somehow like Joy in this. I cant' or I just let people trample on me. And I can definetly say that it is tiring and it hurts. I think I wanted to write about my slowly improving self confidence and self worth. Like I am learning to speak up and be confident which is such a feat for an introvert like me. 

ANYWAYS COMMENT OR ELSE I'LL GET ANGRY!!! lol! but seriously tell me, di dyou guys needed something of a wake up call to stand up for yourself. I think I teared up a bit writing this because I can connect to Sooyoung so much. Not necessarily getting cheated on but more on just letting people get away with what they want. 

So let's share stories about how you got (or regained) your confidence. COMMENT DOWN BELOW~ 

P.S. I have a new fic. I will make it much shorter chapters. Like 1,000 words max per chapter so I can update more often.