[01] Joy and Chanyeol: How to make a scandal real

Glimpses of Joy

 

Lifting her gaze away from her laptop screen, she gave a long sigh. It was the fifth time this month, oh manager Oppa is gonna roast her once again. 

 

It wasn't like she planned to act that way, truthfully her actions were more forced in terms of respect. 

 

He had bowed to her first so it was normal to bow in return as a sign of respect. He waved his hand towards her direction bidding whoever it was meant for a farewell. When she looks back to the time that the exchange of greeting occurred, she can see a reason as to why their fans could misunderstand. 

 

He did wave towards her direction and he did bow to her previously so it might have been a sign of affection. 

 

"No, no, no, Joy-ah, don't think like that! Sunbae does not like you that way. It probably was a Sunbae-Hoobae kind of thing" Joy talked to her reflection on the mirror by her table. 

 

Letting an exasperated sigh escape her lips, Joy jumped to her bed and rolled frantically across it. 

 

Standing up from her bed, joy walked over to the Maknae's bed and sat next to the idle Maknae. 

 

"Yah have you seen all these articles about you and Sunbae?" Yeri tore her gaze away from the pink mobile phone in her hands, "Manager-Oppa is gonna kill you tomorrow."

 

"Don't even remind me," Joy sighed, "I feel like the whole EXO fandom is going to hunt me down next concert. Have you seen the comments, it's pretty ugly." 

 

Yeri rolled over to face her solemn Unnie, "Yah, don't you dare do that to yourself! It isn't your fault, stop beating yourself up."

 

"I know, but I can't help it," Joy laid on top of the Maknae dramatically, "It's not like I have a solution for this."

 

There was silent within the room, the two in deep thought. 

 

"I know!" Exclaimed Yeri, "Just talk to Sunbae and tell him that you don't see him that way and then maybe he would never wave or interact with you anymore."

 

Joy punched Yeri's head, "Yah pabo-yah! How can I say that to a Sunbae who looked after us during our trainee days?" 

 

"Well then I guess you will just have to bear with it," Yeri dismissed her Unnie's worries with a shrug and returned to her phone. Joy scoffed, the Maknae had been on her phone recently, she probably had been contacting a guy. Joy remembered to keep it in the back of her mind, she never knows, it might come in handy in the future. 

 

Joy walked back to her bed only to ponder what Yeri had advised to her. Can she really talk to Sunbae like that? 

 

Whilst thinking, she had closed her eyes and had drifted to sleep. Maybe the next day wouldn't be so bad. 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

The whole SMTOWN family boarded a commercial plane to Japan. The airport was of course packed to the brim with fans hoping to catch a glimpse of their idols. Knowing that she was closely watched, Joy had remained by the leader's side and often walked with her head hung low. For come reason she felt as if she couldn't face the fans without feeling guilty, even though she had not done anything to warrant such feeling. She knew the fans had suffered because of the scandal, thus, she brought it upon herself to take full responsibility. 

 

While waiting to board, SMTOWN had their own little area accommodating the artists and their managers only. Of course, this had meant that Exo and Red velvet were destined to see each other. The boys had acted as if nothing had occurred and took the initiative to approach the girls. The girls had visibly flinched as Exo first interacted with the members. The Unnie line had lectured the ex-Maknae of her carefree attitude in the public which often leads to misunderstanding, this, caused the girl to walk away to 'talk' to her manager-Oppa while the boys interacted with her members. 

 

Chen had immediately noticed the sudden tense mood between the girls, "Are you guys alright? Did you guys fight before coming here?" 

 

"Ah aniyo Sunbae," Irene had automatically shook her head, "Everything is fine," She lied. 

 

Suho had walked closer to Irene and Chen and asked, "Why hasn't Joy come greeted us yet?" 

 

Irene looked panicked and grabbed Wendy's elbow harshly, "Ah-ahh! Joy isn't feeling very well so she has to stay quarantined next to Jinuk Oppa."

 

Suho nodded and tapped Wendy's shoulder before ushering the boys back to their seats, "If you guys need anything don't hesitate to tell us. You girls are our first company Hoobae we will spoil you silly, so just ask anything from us okay?"  

 

Wendy nodded overly enthusiastic, "Then can you tell Chanyeol Sunbae to stay away from Joy?" She whispered under her breath. 

 

The rest of the flight were rather uneventful and dull, the artist had all slept during the flight, conserving energy for the practice and concert to come. 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

The concert itself was uneventful, it was just like any other SMTOWN concert in the past. However during the final stage, a sudden disaster had befallen the giant Maknae. 

 

Despite trying her best to avoid the majority of the male population, some Sunbaes were still persistent.

 

Heechul had approached Joy by accident, however, once he had seen her he just couldn't help himself. Tucking his phone in his back pocket, Heechul tapped Joy lightly on her shoulder. Putting up 6 fingers with his two hands, he had sent Joy a teasing grin. Of course, he would, it was a well-known fact that Joy had been participating in a virtual marriage with Yook (6) Sungjae from BTOB. 

 

Unable to do anything else, Joy had flashed her gummy smile and softly pushed Heechul in response. 

 

Once Heechul had turned around, Joy had returned to her group praying to the heavens that her past interaction with Heechul Sunbae would cause another scandal to erupt. Thinking it was all over, Joy felt another tap. Joy turned around and was met with another 6 fingers of a man. 

 

Suho had joined in on the fun, teasing the girl silly. Any other day, Joy would have appreciated her Sunbae's attempts to make her feel at ease, however, Joy could see a certain tall member right behind Suho Sunbae-nim. In that split second, their eyes had met and he had slightly lowered his head as a sign of respect. 

 

Panicking, Joy had forced a smile at Suho and Heechul before rushing back to the comfort of her Unnies. Hope fully no one saw that eye contact. 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

It seems like lady luck had developed a side hobby of giving Joy the worst luck. 

 

The very next day, Joy had once been caught in a scandal with Exo's rapper. Sighing in defeat, Joy had once again dramatically laid on her bed. 

 

Her manager Unnies and Oppas had burst through the dorm door demanding an answer from the tallest girl. Not knowing what to do, Joy continued to apologise while keeping her head down. She could offer no reason or excuse. 

 

"Yah, tell me honestly," Jinuk Oppa began, "Are you dating Chanyeol?" 

 

Joy's eyes had widened both in surprise and confusion, "No! I really don't know where this all came from."

 

"Then," Shosho Unnie butted in, "Do you like him?" 

 

Joy's head whipped quickly towards the female manager, "No!" Joy replied rather loudly, "I mean, I like Sunbae as a Sunbae. I don't think Songseangnim would let any of the members date until much later anyways, so I have no plans like that at all." 

 

"Then talk to him," Jinuk Oppa continued, "Confront him. Tell him that he can't act like that because its damaging your career."

 

"But Oppa," Joy whined, "You know that it's hard to do that. I wouldn't be able to look at him in the face ever after I say something like that to him." 

 

"You don't need to see his face," Shosho Unnie replied giving an odd smile, "Just tell him, Joy, I'm sure he understands."

 

With that, the two managers left the dorm back to its peaceful state. However, now Joy had creating muted footsteps against the floor boards as she paces back and forth in the kitchen. 

 

In her annoyance, Seulgi had stormed out of her room to yell at the panicking girl, "Yah! there are some people who want to sleep!" 

 

"But Unnie I don't know what to do," Joy reached out to the irritated member, "You have to help me!" 

 

Taking a glass of warm milk, Seulgi had taken a seat on the dinning room waiting for the girl to explain her full scenario. Nodding every once in awhile, Seulgi offered no advice. 

 

"I don't see your dilemma," Seulgi looked up, "It's not like you had some sort of relationship to begin with therefore nothing will get ruined if you confront him...unless," Seulgi flased a flimsy look.

 

Joy looked at the older girl expectantly, "Unless what?" 

 

"Unless if Chanyeol Sunbae actually likes you," Seulgi gasped, "That makes so much sense! No wonder he didn't stop approaching you even though numerous scandals had occurred. Oh my gosh, Park Sooyoung, The EXO's Chanyeol has a crush on you and you want to tell him to go away!" 

 

Joy sat quietly, attempting to grasp the information uttered, Sunbae likes her. The more she thought about it the more it made sense. 

 

He had always bowed and waved towards her at music shows. He had also smiled countless of times to her whenever they would accidently meet each other in the company. Now that she has thought about it, she had never seen any other EXO members recording or strolling around the company building whenever she was around except for Chanyeol. 

 

"Yah!" Seulgi snapped Joy out of her mind blank, "What are you going to do now?"

 

Joy had remained quiet for awhile. She knew that if she wanted to remain an idol she needed to do something and she needed to do it fast. 

 

"I'm gonna do it, I'm going to confront him" Joy bravely declared, "If I don't make it home it means EXO-Ls had found out and murdered me on the way home." 

 

"Alright," Seulgi nodded, "Just make sure you're sure before you do anything else."

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Strutting towards EXO's practice room, Joy had fisted the hem of her skirt in her hand in fear. She was going to talk to Chanyeol and give him a piece of her mind. 

 

Knocking on the closed door, Joy waited for a few seconds before a voice was heard from the other side, "Who is it?" 

 

"Ah, Sunbanim its Joy is it okay if I talk to one of you?" Joy could distinguish that Suho was the one who asked her. 

 

The door opened with Suho's face taking a peek. Suho opened the door wider and ushered her in. EXO was complete in the room, apparently they were about to learn the choreography for their next comeback. Feeling more nervous as eyes were all boring into her, she moved to the side to stand in front of the wall. 

 

"Why what's up Joy?" Chen spoke from his position on the floor, "Do you need something?" 

 

"Uhm is it okay if I talk to one of you guys?" Joy mumbled softly. 

 

Chen misunderstood and stood up to approach Joy, thinking she had wanted to talk to him. After all, why would she talk to anyone else? Red Velvet was closest to Chen and Suho so no wonder they would first approach them. 

 

Before he could walk any closer Joy had stopped him, "Ah I need to talk to Chanyeol Sunbae-nim."

 

Everyone paused for a second before looking to the unsuspecting rapper. His eyes were big and round, obviously surprised by the girl's statement. They had never interacted directly before much less converse with each other without any of the members present. 

 

The boys had all laughed at the rapper, "Look at you, even grabbing the attention of our own company Dongseangs," Chen patted his back. 

 

"What would Sandara-Sunbae say to you now?" Kai laughed, "Picing someone else over her, tsk tsk, I'm gonna tell her."

 

"Yah you better look after our Dongsaeng," Suho teased the member, "I better not hear any news about Joy crying after this talk."

 

Chanyeol had looked at the Hyungs back and forth pleading for help. When nothing came, Chanyeol had given a defeated sigh before looking at Joy who once again had her head hung low, looking at the floor as if it was the most interesting thing. Chanyeol had stood and walked to the statue that is Joy only stopping right in front of her. 

 

Once Joy could see his shoes on the floor right in front of hers, she could not help but look up at Chanyeol's face. She had seen his questioning face which tilted in confusion almost communicating with her non-verbally. 

 

Once Joy had looked up, Chanyeol was able to see her face clearer than he could have ever. Hey, eyes were large and anxious looking whereas her lips were pushed into a thin line puffing out her cute and chubby cheeks. Chanyeol had shaken his head and tried to focus, something must have been terribly wrong if she decided to come here by herself. 

 

"Joy-ah do you want to go to an empty dance room and we can talk there?" Chanyeol had placed a hand gently on her back and guided her out of the room. As they took a couple of steps to head outside, the remaining EXO boys had jeered and wolf whistled at the rapper's action. 

 

"Look at that guy, pretending to be a gentleman whenever there're girls around," Xuimin laughed out loud, "Joy don't fall for it!"

 

This caused the girl to visibly blush and look back to her giggling Sunbae-nims before completely disappearing behind the door. The two had walked the empty corridors to the practice room next to EXO's dance room. 

 

And of course, the boy had stealthily run to the wall separating them and leaned to it with their ears pressed on the cold surface, straining to hear the whole conversation between their rapper and Hoobae. 

 

Maybe something interesting iwll pop up and they could use it as blackmail in the future.

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

"So what's up that you had to talk to me so seriously?" Chanyeol anxiously asked the girl, profusely sweating from his palms. 

 

"Ah Sunbae I have to apologise if I will come off as irritating or rude to you but I needed to tell you something," Joy began. Chanyeol had nodded his head in understanding, ushering her to continue. 

 

"This past couple of months I had been under scrutiny by both your fandom and the public," Joy once again  looked at the floor dismissing the possibility of looking at his surprised eyes, "There had been numerous pictures of us causing plenty of scandals to erupt." 

 

Taking a deep breath, "I would appreciate it if you could please stay away from me for the time being until the media has died down," she took a peek at the surprised faced in front of her, "I mean, the fans are already suspecting us especially after what  had happened after Kai and Krystal Sunbae-nim." 

 

"A-ah yeah I understand, really you don't need to apologise for that," Chanyeol smiled understandingly at the girl. She must have been under so much pressure from his fans, EXO-Ls had been important for him but the welfare of his Hoobaes comes first. Truth-be-told he had skimmed along those articles and had thought nothing about it. He had been in scandal just for being in the same venue as other female idols so he had been exposed to such experiences and had been used to the additional attention. However, his Hoobae must have been surprised by the comments. She is young and inexperienced in terms of the industry so it was normal to have been anxious about such things. 

 

"Don't tell me," Chanyeol grabbed her shoulders, "Did you read all of the comments?" 

 

Joy's head had snapped to look at Chanyeol's even closer face, "Ah neh, I have."

 

Chanyeol laughed pitiably at the younger girl, "You shouldn't have," she would learn as her career extends, "They will aways be negative no matter how hard you try. So just never look at the comments." 

 

 Joy grew rather irritated at her Sunbae's carefree reaction. She had been so anxious for the past weeks thinking how he would react to her news yet to find him laughing at her made her a little bit annoyed, "But Sunbae, how would you know what to improve on if you don't listen to the public?" 

 

Chanyeol had stepped back and shook his head, "Well tell me something, when you read the comment on the articles did you learn what to work on or did they just groundlessly critique your every move and pinpointed what they thought you have done wrong?" 

 

Joy puffed out her cheeks in irritation, "Yeah they did!" 

 

"Oh?" Chanyeol mockingly asked, "And what did they tell you?" 

 

"They said I need to be wary of my actions," Joy began before stopping herself, however, Chanyeol ushered her to continue, so joy had rashly finished her statement, "And they said that I need to stop seducing their Oppas and that even if Chanyeol Sunbae likes me I need to be carefull" 

 

"Wha-" Before Chanyeol could even understand her words, She continued on, "I mean, Sunbae if you like me then you need to be mindful of my career and how your actions would affect me."

 

Chanyeol could hardly look at the eyes of the girl without feeling embarrassed. His face had instantly flashed bright red. how could she say that he had liked her so brashly? Where was the girl who couldn't even look up while talking to him? 

 

 "Wh-what are you t-talking about? I've never done anything to you in public for the fans to misunderstand us," Chanyeol had been quick to defend himself.

 

"Sunbae often bows and waves to me only, Sunbae also smiled to me at one moment," Joy had looked at Chanyeol determined to not back away, "Sunbae-nim also had eye contact with me during SMTOWN in Japan which caused the recent articles to become viral."

 

"Yah! I never greeted only you," Chanyeol retorted, "I had bowed and waved to your direction because it was addressed to the whole Red Velvet members around you. I never meant it just for you." 

 

Joy had immediately turned into stone. his eyes had now held a look and entertainment, at that moment she knew she was screwed

 

"And, I was never smiling at you at that award stage. I was looking at Hyoyeon Sunbae-nim who was making faces behind your back," Chanyeol smiled as he recalled the memory, Hyoyeon Ssunbae-nim is really funny after all. Before he continued to defend himself against the final accusation, Chanyeol had remembered to halt himself from speaking.

 

Joy had now covered her red face with her pale hands. She had never felt like she needed to beg but now she was begging for the heavens to open the ground beneath her and swallow her whole. She was embarrassed to think that her Sunbae was giving her special treatment when he had only been respectful towards the people around him.

 

"Also who gave you the idea that I liked you?" Chanyeol asked the overly embarrassed Joy. 

 

"A-ah sorry Sunbae-nim I have done you wrong. I just assumed that was what was happening," Joy bowed numerous times to her Sunbae in front of her, "I will go back and deeply reflect on what I have done, I am so sorry for being rude to you."

 

Chanyeol watched the girl bow multiple times to him. She had been incredibly cute, bowing her head almost every second, her hair covering her obviously blushing face. She had taken small steps towards the door attempting to completely escape the situation. 

 

"Who was it?" Chanyeol had stopped her from escaping by slamming his hand into the wall next to her face, thus, halting her to move any further. Joy had visibly flinched in response and looked directly at Chanyeol's face who had been trying to bottle up a series of laughter threatening to burst from his mouth. 

 

"It was Shosho Manager Unnie and Seulgi Unnie," Joy responded quickly. 

 

Chanyeol had bursted in laughter as he fell to the floor leaving Joy even more confused than ever. 

 

"And you believed them?" Chanyeol had wiped a tear away from his eyes as his laughter died down, "You should never believe Shosho Noona with anything, she is after all the evil mastermind behind the beginning of SNSD's pranking era."

 

Joy had then smiled and stomped her feet on the ground in annoyance, "Ah! no wonder why they were-" oh she was going to murder someone tonight, looking at the still laughing Chanyeol on the floor she had finally been at ease and laughed along the male rapper before saying, "Mwoh, Sunbae-nim should have stopped me from further embarrassing myself."

 

Seeing her cute smiling face, Chanyeol's heart had skipped a beat. There was something addicting about her smile, and he felt as if his life has now found its new purpose. 

 

The two continued to laugh along until Chanyeol's phone had ringed signalling that the members needed him to return. Bowing to each other, the two had begun another set of laughter. Apparently now, bowing to each other was an inside joke referring to their awkward conversation. 

 

"Don't worry we'll plan something to get your revenge on Shosho Noona,"  Chanyeol flashed  her a final smile, "We'll show the world the power of PARK couple!" 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Three days later, Shosho manager Unnie had returned back to the dorm furious at the ex-maknae. apparently someone had created a fake article where Chanyeol was caught on a secret date with the ex-maknae.

 

 

 

Of course, the manager was sent into an instant frenzy. First, she had approached her fellow Red Velvet Manager who apparently knew nothing of the news.

 

 

 

Then she called the member responsible who had immensely apologised to her in their conversation over the phone. Upon checking the internet, she gave a small sigh of relief, luckily no one had posted any article regarding their soon-to-be scandal. 

 

 

 

Once Shosho Unnie had personally driven to the SM building, she rushed to the practice room which Joy had told her she was in. Upon opening the door she was met with screams. 

 

 

 

There Joy and Chanyeol had prepared the whole room to be coloured with colourful balloons and streamers with a large banner in the middle of room reading 'You've been pranked!'

 

 

 

The two idols remained rolling on the floor laughing at the expression that the manager had uttered. 

 

 

 

After explaining their reasons for pranking the older lady, a couple of playful punches were thrown. After a couple of minutes, the trio enjoyed a cake baked by Wendy who apparently helped by creating the article.

 

 

 

---

 

 

The two idols are now inseparable, often conversing casually to each other when with the rest of the SMTOWN family, of course, only when not in front of the fans and the public.

 

"Wouldn't want to be in scandal again, would we?" The two laughed.

 

 

 

---

 

 

A couple of months later, SMTOWN Jakarta had happened. And once again an article about Joy and Chanyeol had emerged with a title Chanyeol <3 Joy where a large picture of Joy and Chanyeol smiling while bowing towards each other was seen.

 

 

 

To be fair to those who had written the articles, Chanyeol was definitely staring at her at that moment, mesmerized by the beauty of her smile during the ending stage in SMTOWN Japan.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: 

Talk about long! This chapter was 4,000 words long!

Sorry if this was boring and not as funny as I would have liked but here is the first chapter!

Feel free to suggest any guy with Joy even if its completely out of no where! 

Thank you for your support!