Four

Slowly But Surely
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun watched in amusement at the bickering couple standing not far from where she sat, and she chuckled quietly to herself when she overheard their argument. Apparently, Jongin’s unhappy over the fact that Soojung was wearing shorts which fully showcased her milky long legs; she could tell that the guy loved the view as well but the fact that she’s attracting the attention from other guys in campus too totally irked him. She had caught the boy glaring at few guys who were obviously ogling at Soojung’s long legs, and she almost laughed but held herself when she realized how annoyed Jongin was.

After a while, Jongin walked away and Soojung sauntered over to where she sat. Joohyun raised a curious brow at her. “What?”

“You’re purposely trying to rile him up, aren’t you?” The question sounded more like a statement which made Soojung smirk.

“He looks adorable when he’s annoyed.”

Joohyun scoffed at that. “Give the guy a break, will you? It’s bad enough that you’re leaving him hanging there,” she said, making Soojung’s expression turned somber. Joohyun softened at the sight of it and continued gently. “He might be fine with having you around like this now, sweetie. But he might get tired of waiting and walk away.”

Soojung casted her gaze down at her lap, and only then Joohyun noticed the silver charm bracelet dangling on her right wrist. It looked brand new and expensive, and the design was simply beautiful and seemed to fit the owner perfectly.

“When did you get that?” she asked.

“Jongin gave it to me,” Soojung admitted quietly and sighed. “Honestly, I like him. The fact that he’s been endlessly pursuing me for the past year is touching and just… I like it, and I know that he won’t ever hurt me like he did. But that doesn’t mean that I’m not scared.”

Joohyun scooted closer to her friend and wrapped one arm around her waist, letting the other lean against her side for comfort.

“I told him to give me time,” she continued quietly. “He knows how I feel for him, and he’s willing to wait for me. And I hope that I can get over my fear quickly because… because I don’t want him to walk away either.”

“Aww, sweetie,” Joohyun sighed and rubbed her back soothingly, knowing how much it pained Soojung to feel upset. She had always been the type to keep things to herself and keeping up with her tough girl façade, but her defense has slowly started to crumble and Jongin continued to crawl his way into her heart. “It’s okay to feel scared, Soojung-ah. But try not to dwell on it too much. I can tell that Jongin loves you very much, and you need to believe that he’s not like the bastard who broke your heart. He even might be the one.”

Soojung snorted softly at that. “Please don’t say that. It’s too cheesy!”

“Jongin is cheesier, dude.” Joohyun retaliated, making her friend laugh. She smiled at the sound of her laughter before it slowly deformed as a thought crossed her mind. “Soojung, have you told Jongin about him?”

The other stilled in her hold, and Joohyun got her answer. She sighed and rubbed her back again. “Sweetie, you need to tell him. Let him understand you better. Okay?”

Soojung hesitated but nodded in the end.

 

“So, any news about your future husband?”

They were on their way home, Soojung driving her car while Joohyun sat at the passenger seat fiddling with her phone, and the latter looked up upon hearing the question. She sighed.

“Not yet. My dad has been busy and mom’s avoiding me, I think.”

“At least she has her guilty conscience,” Soojung muttered under her breath.

Joohyun smiled bitterly to herself, knowing that her mother’s hands were tied as well so she could not get herself to retaliate her father’s words. Mr. Bae was a strict and stubborn man, after all, and everything he says goes.

“Don’t you have like a picture of him or something?”

“No, but I heard that he might already be informed about me.” Joohyun told her which earned herself a surprised look. She chuckled at that. “Yeah, so he might contact me soon. I also know his name which is Oh Sehun. But that’s all I know.”

“Oh Sehun, you say?” Why does it sound familiar?

“Yeah.”

“…are you nervous?”

“Honestly? I’m terrified,” she admitted quietly. “What if he’s not gentle? What if he’s older than me? What if he doesn’t like me?”

Soojung scoffed at that. “That’s impossible. Nobody does not like you. Everyone thinks you’re adorable and gorgeous. Did you forget the confessions you used to receive at the start of the year?”

“Used to, Soojung. That’s a thing of the past.”

“Only because I’ve been threatening them to stop harassing you, sweetie. Seulgi – she’s this girl from my class – told me that her brother is head over heels for you, and he’s not even studying in our university.”

“Then how the hell did he know about me?” Joohyun wondered with a frown.

“I think he was a former high school senior or something,” Soojung shrugged. “Anyway, your future husband, whoever that may be, will totally fall for you. Trust me.”

“I’m an awkward person, Soojung,” she scoffed, looking out the window.

“That’s what makes you adorable.”

“Yeah?” She scoffed and muttered, “I wonder if he’ll find me adorable when he knows that I’m in love with my best friend.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter