Seventeen

Slowly But Surely
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She stared at him.

At his soft brown eyes, his gentle smile and the obvious happiness on his face. Even without looking at a mirror somewhere, Joohyun knew she sported the same look on her face. They’re finally here, standing at the altar with their friends and families as witnesses. The voice of the officiant was like a buzz in the background as she lost herself in Sehun’s mesmerizing gaze, but her ears caught the officiant giving the cue for her to read out her vows. She took in a shaky breath but the gently squeeze of Sehun’s hand made her smile and she breathed out quietly before parting her lips;

“I remember the first time I met you and the only thing I could think about was how safe it was to be around you. You are a wonderful man who has been patient with me; you taught me to fall in love with you, guided me patiently all the while, and went far and beyond just to make me happy. You make my heart beat so fast and so slow at the same time, Sehun. I can’t imagine anyone else who could love me and treat me with the utmost respect like you do, and I’m glad that I am the lucky girl you chose to stand with here today.”

Joohyun took in another deep breath, smiling wider at Sehun’s awed expression. “I, Bae Joohyun, take you, Oh Sehun, to be my lawful husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part.”

Soojung stepped forward and presented her with a small box, and Joohyun carefully took out the ring before sliding it onto Sehun’s finger, feeling her heart beating so fast in her chest due to the excitement and happiness she felt. Sehun was smiling so brightly at her and she let out a giggle, making him chuckle as the officiant gave him the next  cue.

He calmly breathed in and spoke;

“I call you ‘love’ because that’s what you are – my love. From the moment I met you, I knew I was in love with you and I had to have you, no matter what. It wasn’t easy to get us here, believe me–” The crowd chuckled at his words while Joohyun felt her eyes water. “–but everything was worth it. Because you are my everything, Bae Joohyun. You are my light, and in the short amount of time we’ve shared to get to know each other and fall in love, you’ve given me so much more reason to love you and cherish you. I can’t wait to spend our eternity together, learning and failing together.”

Jongin stepped forward with a similar box, smiling widely at his best friend as Sehun’s slightly trembling fingers reached for the band before turning back to his bride. With another shaky breath, he spoke, “I, Oh Sehun, take you, Bae Joohyun, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part.”

With the slip of the ring onto her finger, Joohyun choked back a sob and bit her bottom lip before her smile could stretch too widely on her face. When the officiant finally pronounced them husband and wife, the crowd cheered and the newly wedded couple both had wide smiles on their faces and tears in their eyes.

“You may now kiss the bride!”

Sehun pulled her to him, one hand on her back and the other cupping her face, and as their faces drew closer, he whispered, “I love you, wife.” and gave her the sweetest and softest of kisses.

 

*

*

*

 

There was a surprise Sehun prepared for Joohyun during the reception that left her speechless. She had been walking around greeting their families and friends with Sehun when the man suddenly got pulled away by Jongin, much to her confusion. And then suddenly the lights in the hall dimmed, surprising her. She heard murmurs of confusion around her and she looked around, hoping to catch a glimpse of Sehun, when there was suddenly a spotlight pointed to the middle of the floor.

And Sehun stood there with a mysterious smile on his face.

In confusion, she stepped closer to him but then music started to play, and she looked around in wonder before a gasp left her when Sehun suddenly started dancing. Her jaw dropped at his every move, the flicker of his eyes and the movement of his feet as he danced in the middle of the room. And then another figure joined him, and Joohyun watched in awe as the two best friends danced in sync like as if they were one.

“Maybe one day.”

That was what Sehun had said to her when she told him he wanted to see him dance, and that felt like it happened ages ago when technically, it’s been about four months or so. Soojung joined her as they stared star-struck at their partners dancing on the floor, and when the dance was over, the whole room clapped and cheered, igniting proud smiles from the breathless duo. Sehun’s eyes met hers before he made his way towards her, grinning boyishly at her dum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter