Don't Hate Me

The Way They Were

DISCLAIMER: If any information about the training process is incorrect I apologize, but this is just from my imagination.

“Cause this will slip away, slip away

And cause a fire

That can never be put out”

    

    It was too bad for Jungkook that all Jimin wanted to do was hang out with Rin. Jin was also ready to see her again (with a Mario plush in hand). The result was an unnecessary amount of surprise visits from Rin at the company headquarters.

Jungkook walked through the automated doors ready to practice. After waving as a polite greeting to the lively lady who worked behind the front desk, he walked over to the elevators, and pressed the “up” button. Luckily for him, there was an elevator already on the lobby, so he could hope in and go up quickly -- he had woken up late… very late. Dropping his bag on the floor of the elevator, he tore off his mask and beanie in a hurry. Even though he wasn’t supposed to take public transportation in fear of being seen, he just didn’t have the time to carefully make his way to the company today, so he grabbed a quick ride from the subway. There still weren’t calls and texts from the other group members, so Jungkook knew he was in the clear, but why weren’t there any messages? Jungkook had a tendency to wake up late so even if he was on time there would be at least one text (usually from Jimin) reminding him to hurry up.

Practically flying through the elevator doors, he then burst into the BTS practice room only to see Rin in comfortable sweats and a loose t-shirt sitting in a circle with the rest of the group.

Rin’s hands held the guitar with confidence as she opened to sing. I know what you’re thinking: But Rin can’t sing! Well, that’s not true anymore. When she was in America, she had taken up classes for vocal training, just for fun. She still didn’t have a powerful voice like Ailee or a sweet voice like IU, but she sang with an unteachable softness, and Rin herself made the music more enjoyable. She plucked the first few notes of a recent favorite song, “Don’t Hate Me” by Akdong Musician, and watched in amusement as the other members started moving to stand up and most likely sway dramatically to the song. The door suddenly burst open and everyone turned towards it. Jungkook, hair disheveled and out of breath from his sprint to the room stood stunned before red started bleeding into his cheeks.

He ducked his head down. “Sorry guys. Overslept again.”

    Yoongi rolled his eyes. “ Dude even I didn’t oversleep. Rin’s about to sing.”

    Rin quickly set the guitar down, saying, “No, it’s okay. Maybe some other time. I don’t want to intrude.” She packed up the food she brought, hurriedly throwing her hair up into a messy ponytail.

    Jimin glared at her. “No, you are going to sing because I’ve waited a year for this.”

Rin gave him a pleading look before sitting down again while grumbling under her breath, “How Iseul deals with you is something I will never understand.” She started the tune again, fully aware of the awkward tension in the room. She began to sing.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    “I thought you couldn’t sing.” Jungkook said.

    “My classes started late December, so I don’t think you were around.”

    “Oh.”

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    Jungkook and Jimin laid on the floor of the dance room exhausted. In the mirror, Jungkook could see Seokjin pick up his new Mario figurine carefully and securely hold it in his palm before walking out to the showers. He rolled his eyes.

    “Hey, Jungkook?” Jimin asked.

    “Yeah?”

    “When are you and Rin going to start talking again-- the tension is thick enough to use as a slingshot.” Jungkook was confused. Why did he and Rin need to start talking again? It didn’t make sense.

    “I don’t think we’ll be close again, Jimin.”

    “But… why did you guys stop talking in the first place? She even came over to the apartment, Jungkook. Yoongi actually stayed awake and laughed.”

    Jungkook squinted into the bright pot lights in the ceiling, raking his sweaty hair back from where it stuck onto his forehead. “I guess it just wasn’t in our constellation.”

    “You’re going to have to talk to her.”

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    “You’re going to have to talk to him,” Iseul said. She was laying on Rin’s bed, tossing a pillow up and down. Rin turned around to see the pillow land on Iseul’s face with a smack.

    She rolled her eyes. “I don’t see why.”

    “Why are you so apathetic towards this? You were friends!” Isuel said incredulously, dragging the pillow down her face.

    Rin shrugged. “People grow apart. It happens.”

    “But you’re friends with the rest of BTS, closer with Jimin and Jin of course but still friends…”

    “I don’t see a problem with visiting them when he’s there.”

    Iseul threw the pillow at Rin. “No! You aren’t fine! You’re uncomfortable, Jungkook’s uncomfortable, Jimin’s uncomfortable, for goodness sakes I’m uncomfortable and I’m not even there half the time!”

    “Maybe one day, when that lovely idea becomes a star in the sky, I’ll talk to him,” Rin replied.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

A month later

    Rin and Jungkook gaped at their friends. Iseul and Jimin had just pushed the two into Rin’s apartment and closed the door, yelling that they were going to stay outside until “you two talk or kill each other.”

    Rin looked at Jungkook. “Why are they doing this?”

    He shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m not all that bothered by us not talking anymore.”

    “Yeah, me either. It wasn’t my fault that you stopped trying,” she said. He turned to look her in the eye. To his surprise, she was calm, almost more than calm. Without emotion. She truly looked like she didn’t care about him. This person, this girl standing in front of him who was moving to sit down on her couch was not the Rin he had become friends with. “Don’t worry, Jungkook; this awkwardness won’t last for long.”

    Jungkook looked up. Surely she didn't mean she was going to try and fix it, right? Rin seemed to have no interest in him whatsoever. “What do you mean?”

    She didn’t raise her head, only continuing to scroll through Instagram, looking like she did before they were friends, when he was just dropping by the coffee house. “It’s easy for me to be Jimin’s friend, Jin’s friend, or casual acquaintances with anyone really. Just like its easy to not be friends with anyone.”

    The world of their friendship was starting to turn grey. The only color left was a small spark, as small as a star, concentrated in his chest and protected by his rib cage.

    Jungkook stared up at the sky out the big window to his right. When did the stars seem so far away?

 


 

AN:   Next chapter!! This chorus is hard to work out, not going to lie.

    22 OF YOU? I opened up my account and there were 499 views and that alone astounds me thank you everyone who clicked!

I hope you all enjoyed this update!! Thank you for reading and please subscribe and leave some feedback. :)