Bunny Lightsabers

The Way They Were

“Give her a reason,

A reason to love all you do”

    

    Unlike Rin, Jungkook believed in fate. When Jungkook came out of that random apartment building next to the adoption shop, it was because he didn’t really want to stay in his apartment (the one below Rin) at the time: Namjoon, Jin, and Suga were all visiting family, and Jimin had gone to spend some time with his girlfriend in Hawaii, so no way was Jungkook staying in an apartment with Taehyung alone. He refused. So, that day, he bought groceries, stuffed them in the fridge, and left a note on the kitchen island saying, “Hey, I’m going to my older bro’s house. Food’s in the fridge; my room is locked. Don’t die.  - Jungkook.”

    So, when he walked out of his brother’s apartment and saw Rin just sitting there on the steps, he thought it was fate.

 


 

Jungkook would often visit Rin at what was now dubbed “their coffee shop,” so there were no more “the xx time they met.” That said, the two weren’t in love yet (and everyone around them doubted they would ever fall in love). It was usually her studying and him bothering her. For example, she was working on a new project for her music class (coincidentally): The teacher wanted a two and a half minute composition. Rin was quite smart and creative, so when she heard that it was open ended, she was incredibly happy. However, music was not her best subject (even though she was significantly better at it than others were). There were just too many different options to choose from. Did she want jazzy like the music in the coffee shop? Classical where she could play the piano? Pop where she could use a guitar? No. Pop wouldn’t work. She would have to find a vocalist (she loved soft pop music… she didn’t know why). Furthermore, there were too many facets of a composition. The baseline, melody, and harmonies (oh, all the harmonies) were almost too much for her to handle at once. Although the project was semi-exciting, a three week time period for this assignment was a lot shorter than Rin prefered (she was a perfectionist).

    Rin, being very organized, meticulously planned to spend the next two weeks of her coffee shop time working and finishing on this composition. Jungkook, being very not organized, had a tendency to run in randomly just to greet her before rushing out again. Needless to say, Rin was very confused at his actions, but she couldn’t find any harm in them, thus brushing them off easily. However, it became more difficult to ignore him when he started joining her, always bringing his work. “Your focused aura really helps me, Rin,” he would claim. Again, it was harmless, so she simply learned to deal with his incessant pencil tapping.

 

But no, Rin did not let Jungkook distract her too much. She needed to work, and that was that. Until, until, her intelligent brain worked against her and went ahead and told her to speak to Jungkook (why, brain, why?).

So, inevitably, Jungkook and Rin grew closer. By no means were they close persay, but conversation was polite and civil. Rin could overlook the water balloon incident, and Jungkook was smart enough to never bring it up. One day, she asked, “What are you always tapping?”

He smiled at her, big and cheesy as usual. He liked talking to her. “It’s just a random beat,” he replied

“No it’s not; it’s always the same,” Rin stated in her usual “Ms. I’m Always Perceptive” voice.

Jungkook only winked at Rin (cheeky boy), and changed the subject abruptly: “Do you have a partner for the music project?”

“Not yet,” she replied, “I'm considering doing it myself. Why?”

“Let’s be partners. It’s the only way I’ll tell you what the beat is.”

Rin had to admit that Jungkook was being very smart on how to get closer to her. Manipulative, but smart. (But she really wanted to know what the beat was, so she agreed.)

“So. I guess it’s a ballad right?” he asked.

“Honestly? I’m not sure yet,” she replied. “I can’t really sing.” She wasn’t lying: she couldn’t sing for her life.

“I’ll sing.” (Jungkook was very confident in himself.) So, he offered his voice as an asset to her their song. They ended up with a 94% on their project, which was a nice grade, but Rin didn’t like nice. (Neither did Jungkook. They would need to work on their collaboration.)

 

He didn’t stop coming to coffee shop after the project ended, and Rin honestly couldn’t tell if she was disappointed or relieved. While he was willing to help her when she didn’t understand her architecture course (not like he could help her, though), he was a really big distraction. Now, most of you are thinking, “didn’t Rin just ignore him?” Why yes, yes she did. However, while he was easy to ignore, his voice was not. Coffee shop music was soft and jazzy, and it made her happy -- as if warm honey was flowing through her veins in place of blood. Golden blood created golden grades (and apparently made a golden boy appear in her life too). Even though Rin loved the music in the coffee shop, Jungkook’s quiet voice always distracted her more than it should have. A large part of it was that he always sung under his breath, meaning he was extremely quiet, so Rin always had to strain her ears to listen. It wasn’t as simple as plugging in earbuds (she wasn’t that rude), but it gave her headaches to constantly have to try to hear something, and she voiced this thought immediately.

“You know, if you’re going to sing, can you just sing louder? It’s annoying to always have to try to hear something,” she said one day.

“I think the coffee shop people would mind,” he replied.

“We’re the only ones in this coffee shop, idiot. No one cares,” she deadpanned.

“... if you wanted to hear my voice that badly then you should have said so.”

“Whatever, Jungkook.”

Jungkook started singing louder.

 

Although she was a bit annoyed that it always interrupted her studies, his voice was rather nice, and she would have been a fool if she didn’t allow herself enjoy it. Rin once proposed the idea of being an idol to Jungkook, and he smiled; he had toyed around with the idea before, and when she mentioned it he only smiled wider.

Rin couldn’t help but notice that he was shockingly similar to a double sided lightsaber: he was very attractive, almost dangerously so (in the sense that his ego was so inflated it’d explode with another compliment and hurt people), but he was also like a little bunny. It was the weirdest thing she’d ever seen.

Strange as it seemed, Rin grew to love his voice, solely because distracted her.

 

 


 

AN:

Hey! ELEVEN SUBSCRIBERS WHAT??!? Eleven people want to read this weird idea that popped into my head????

I hope you all liked this chapter! I’M SO EXCITED TO WRITE THE NEXT CHAPTER WOAH but it might take some time :P

Did this chapter even make sense? If any part was super confusing PLEASE tell me and I’ll 1) reply to you and 2) add details if necessary :)

 

A HUGE thank you to all the lovely people that care enough to click subscribe :)