James

The Way They Were

“When she says she loves you

Tell her you love her, too”

 

The fourth time she saw him, she was at a pet adoption center.

As a child, she had always wanted a dog, but her parents were very strict and told her, “Once you move out, you can get all the pets you want.” Well, now that she was moved out, she was thinking about it. However, there weren’t many options for her. She knew she wouldn’t be committed enough to care for a fish or anything in a tank (as bad as it sounds, she’d probably forget about the poor pet), and she was allergic to cat hair, so her only choice was… dogs. Luckily, she loved dogs.

After careful consideration of living space and financial cost, Rin decided she was capable of caring for a pet and called a close friend.

“Rin! Wow I didn’t know you knew how to use a phone!” Iseul said over the phone.

“Where do I get a dog?” Rin asked.

There was silence on the other side for a second before Iseul scolded, “Is that how to treat a best friend?”

“Fine. What nonsense are you spewing this time, dear Iseul?” Rin responded. Even though the two girls were best friends, people often mistook them for enemies due to their sarcastic nature. However, sarcasm didn’t stop them from being able to spend hours in silence just eating and watching TV together.

Fine,” Iseul imitated. “What do you want?”

“Where do I get a dog?”


 

At the front desk of a pet adoption center was where Rin found herself trapped between speaking to this overenthusiastic secretary or leaving without a puppy.

“Hey sweetie! What’s your name?” the lady asked.

Rin’s eyes flicked down to the name tag pinned on the workers blue shirt. Brianna. Honestly, Brianna was very nice, but there was only so much… bubbliness Rin could handle (and to be frank, Rin felt as if Brianna spoke to her like Rin herself was a puppy. Rin admits it sounds a bit crazy). After about five minutes of Brianna asking Rin, “Where did you get your jacket from? Oh, I just adore it,” and Rin stalling before finally admitting she didn’t remember, the time to choose a puppy came.

Oh, it was so hard. So many precious little puffballs running around on the floor (Rin was quite childish when it came to puppies). She saw one puppy, calmly sitting in the middle of the havoc of new excited puppies. It had light brown ears and blank white fur, and she couldn’t help but think of how well it would fit with the color scheme of her apartment. She walked up to it, laughing when it immediately jumped into her lap before getting comfortable and falling asleep a short time later. Even though she had only been there around half an hour, she was very close to buying this puppy (she almost never came across a passive puppy, and she preferred her pets to be like her. Passive, if you didn’t catch that.). After making her decision, she went back to talk to Brianna and braced herself for Brianna’s overexcited...ness. When the papers were finalized, the adoption center gave the puppy to her along with a small cage to transport him.

Needless to say, Rin was overjoyed. Finally! Her own pet! She walked outside (partially to escape Brianna) and stopped in front of the apartment building right next to the store. Settling down on the steps, she took her puppy out of his carrier and carefully held him in her lap. “Aww, aren't you just the most adorable thing? I love you so much,” she said smiling down at the fluffy little guy.

“Love you, too,” she heard. The voice was familiar, to her surprise. Careful not to harm the precious puppy in her arms, the girl turned towards the voice. She was met with a smiling face.

She couldn't recall his name, but she recognized him as the guy who stole her apple and got her soaked by a water balloon what seemed like a lifetime ago. He must have just taken a shower, because his hair was slightly damp and his white shirt had small dots of water on it.

"You! What are you doing here?" she asked.

He didn't respond, instead raising an eyebrow. “Is that how you greet people? ‘You’?”

If she was easily flustered, she would have pinked and looked away. However, Rin did not show when she was flustered. Ever. Even if she was (aka this time).

“Your name… J...Jong kook?” she stammered. He gave her a dry look before correcting her. His name was Jungkook. Embarrassed, she apologized before remembering what he said to her. “Hey! I was talking to the dog!”

Ignoring her, he cooed, “Oh, you’re so cute!”

“Excuse me?” she asked, affronted. He let a playful smile flicker over his lips before saying “I was talking to the dog.” Yet again embarrassed, she turned away, making sure to whip his shoulder with her hair (he was much too tall to hit his face), before putting her puppy (who she decided to name James) into the small carrier and leaving the adoption center. He chuckled before going inside.

He waved to Brianna politely and passed the receptionist table to enter the back part of the store: employees only.

“Jungkook! It’s about time you visited,” his father said smiling.

“Hey Dad,” he said chuckling.

“Okay, what’s bothering you? You have that clouded look in your eyes.”

The boy felt a bit sheepish. His father never let anything get past him. “What was that girl’s name?”

“Rin Sira. She just adopted a new pup.”

Rin Sira, Jungkook thought as he straightened out his father’s name card (The manager’s office should always be perfect.)

 

 


 

 

AN: WOW! There are six of you guys now! Thank you all so much for subscribing!

 

So here’s the fourth chapter… honestly I’m not sure if I should continue this (I know all of you are probably very annoyed at my indecisiveness, and I’m sorry D:)  I just felt that it was kind of useless if I had all this written stuff but it didn’t go anywhere so I’ve decided to keep updating this (sparingly, probably). I’ll try my best to finish this story :) ALSO, this story is not based on a true one (obviously) and I didn’t write this thinking “what would Jungkook do” so I apologize if it isn’t like him to do certain things. I just came up with this idea and thought Jungkook would somewhat fit the character.

 

Thank you all for reading! Next chapter is being worked on right now :)