Up to Fate

The Way They Were

“She’ll tell you all her hopes and dreams,

You’ll tell them too.”

    

    “Care to tell me why you’re here, midget?” Jungkook asked as he opened the door. Rin scoffed before pushing her way into his apartment. “No -- Rin you can’t -- no!”

    Rolling her eyes, she waltzed backwards into his living room while facing him: “I can’t what, idiot?” Rin tossed her bag carelessly onto the wooden floors behind her and strolled to the kitchen, failing to notice the small “ooph” that proceeded.

“Rin--” he started, “Oh, just forget it.”

She danced her way into the kitchen and scanned the cabinets while considering her options: did she want juice? Water? Wine? A snack? So many options! Being the lady that she was, she thought about what she had eaten for dinner earlier. Considering she practically inhaled two full bowls of rice today, she decided that she shouldn’t eat starch. But since her sodium levels were lower today (that’s what she got for trying to avoid potato chips), too much water would probably wash her out too. Finally, she usually slept at around twelve to one, and since it was eleven, she shouldn’t eat a big meal. After all, no one wants heartburn or bloating. Maybe a peach? Yes, she decided. A peach. She strolled over to the fridge and yanked it open before letting fall open and saying “WHERE are your peaches?!” Jungkook could only look on in astonishment.

    Even though Jungkook was constantly at Rin’s apartment, she rarely visited him in fear of running into his six roommates. Having three close-ish friends (Iseul, Jungkook, and Jimin) was enough work for her, and Rin considered herself a rather private person, at least compared to her friends. More people coming to share her life (and steal her food) were not as welcomed as they hoped. However, she had visited Jungkook a couple times before and she was lucky every time when Jungkook opened the door with a pair of gaming headphones hung around his neck and a stuffy nose. He stayed home a lot when his roommates went out due to his poor immune system. So, she tried her luck. Too bad she wasn’t lucky tonight (not that she knew that fact yet).

    Anyways, back to the current situation…

    “What do you mean ‘my peaches’? You know I like strawberries more!” Jungkook exclaimed.

    “But I like peaches! As my friend shouldn’t you be considerate?” Rin shot back.

    Jungkook popped a hip and rested his head on a hand. “Sorry. I’ll buy peaches next time.”

    “Good kid.”

    “I’m not a kid, Rin!”

 


 

    Six boys sat in the living room listening to Jungkook in the kitchen arguing about peaches.

    Namjoon and Seokjin were staring in the kitchen’s direction, phones hanging limply from their palms, Facebook and Instagram open and forgotten on the screens. Taehyung, box smile permanently etched on his face around the presence of an unknown female, was confused but strangely okay with the random girl who had just barged into the apartment, and Hoseok was very much the same. Jimin just sat there with a huge smile. He hadn’t seen Rin in a month or so, and it was refreshing to see her so carefree and much less polite and stiff. Meanwhile, a confused Yoongi sat up a bit dazed next to the coffee table after being rudely woken up from his nap on the hardwood with a beat up leather bag in his lap. “Wow,” he said, “who the heck is that screaming about peaches?”

    “Rin,” Jimin stated simply, as if that solved all problems.

    Namjoon raised his eyebrows at the boy who was still doing an incredible impersonation of the cheshire cat, otherwise known as Taehyung, poking the boy’s cheeks trying to dislodge the smile. “Explain a bit who this ‘Rin’ is please, Jimin?”

    “She’s one of Jungkook’s new friends. Well, not so much new anymore, you know, but I’ve never seen her here after she threw that water balloon at me.” The group was silent and speechless, just waiting for the moment Jungkook would tell the girl to go back to her own apartment. They weren’t mean at all, but she had been un-invited, and it was game night. Imagine their surprise when Jungkook promised to buy peaches for her. “Oh, and she likes peaches,” Jimin said.

 


 

    Rin walked back to the living room to find six pairs of eyes staring at her and froze. Oh no. This was not what she signed up for. Jimin scrambled to his feet and grabbed her wrist, pulling her down to sit on the couch next to him. “So, Rin, what game do you want to play out of these three?” he said as he pulled out Mario Kart, Call of Duty, and Halo.

    “Um… Mario Kart. I’ll beat all of you guys,” she replied with confidence. The boys (still unknown to her besides Jimin) all groaned with the exception of one: Kim Seokjin pumped a fist in the air with an excited yell and cheered.

    Rin and Seokjin would be fast friends as well.

 


 

    At around twelve thirty, no one was still awake except Jungkook and Rin who were vigorously pressing the accelerate button on the wii remote. Jungkook snorted: “Rin, you know that you can’t win as Princess Peach when I’m Yoshi, right?”

    “Don’t doubt me, Jeon Jungkook. This is my level.”

    “... Rin, this is Yoshi Falls. It literally has my name in it.”

 

    Rin won.

 


 

    “Hey, Jungkook?”

    “Yeah?” he replied.

    “I know it’s one in the morning and all, but can we go on the balcony?”

    “Sure, Rin. Let’s go look at the constellations.” The two tiptoed around the boys passed out on the floor, careful not to step on any hair or feet or long limbs tangled all over the place. The night was cold, unlike the park escapade a month ago or so, and Rin was beginning to regret not bringing a blanket on that cold fall night. Jungkook, being the human radiator he is, wasn’t cold at all, so he was surprised when Rin attached her shoulder to his. He raised an eyebrow at her.

    “I need to huddle for warmth,” she explained. Jungkook was more than happy to be a heater. They leaned against the balcony railing in silence, looking almost invisible against the dark of the night. Both of their heads were tipped up towards the sky, picking apart the stars.

    “Is there a reason we’re out here?” Jungkook asked when he finally spoke.

    “I know we aren’t best friends, Jungkook, at least not yet, but I thought I should let you know that I might leave soon.”

    He was startled and a little frightened. “‘Leave’? What do you mean leave?” he asked. “Are you dying?” he blurt out.

    She broke down in laughter and pushed him away from her playfully before realizing she was cold and yanking him back to be shoulder buddies. “No, idiot. I don’t know if I ever told you, but when I said I was majoring in biomedical studies, I was serious. Music and architecture are really just fun classes to take, so I went ahead and filled my schedule,” she said.

    “Yea, I know you’re serious about it. Why are you leaving, though?” he replied.

    “Jungkook… I applied for a transfer application for Johns Hopkins, a great university in America, to study abroad, and I’m leaving next week,” she said.

    Jungkook didn’t speak for a little bit. “Oh.”

    “I’m really sorry I didn’t tell you I just didn’t know how. But hey, we’ll be okay, right? I mean we can call and text and stuff because even though there is a time difference there has to be ONE time every week where we’re both not in classes, right?”

    “Rin-”

    “And you don’t need to worry about me being a loner because I’m fine being a loner so--”

    Rin.” She stopped talking. “I don’t know if I can talk as much as I would like to, especially with the time difference. I also won’t be able to visit you in America and there is no guarantee that you’d see me if you came back to visit,” he said.

    “I don’t understand.”

    “Well, I’m looking to join BigHit entertainment,” he said, “I know my age is a bit old for being a trainee, but they offered to put me into a group almost immediately-- maybe after just a few months of training. They thought I was talented enough.”

Rin was floored. Of course she thought he was talented enough, and he definitely deserved this opportunity, but what about their friendship? She knew she was being a bit hypocritical; after all, she was the one going to America. “Congratulations, idiot,” she said.

    “Thanks, midget.” Jungkook was also worried. He knew that he could keep up relationships while he was training and being an idol, but with a friend in America and the major time difference, it’d be difficult to find time to talk at all.

    Both Rin and Jungkook were realistic people. Long distance friendships were no easier to maintain than long distance relationships, and there was no telling if they would still be talking two months in much less a year later when Rin came back from the studying abroad program. They’d just have to leave it up to… fate (as much as Rin hated to do so).

 

 


 

 

AN:  Honestly, I don’t like this chapter too much :/ I kind of had writers block, so I rewrote a lot of this. Don’t worry though I won’t linger too much on her in America and his training because I wouldn’t know too much about either and I don’t want to write false info (so maybe just like one or two chapters). So, yea, sorry if you hated it :(

I’ll be stuck at home for a couple days; personal reasons haha~ since I have no other obligations, I can write a lot! Maybe more updates?  ;)     

 

But there are 15 subscribers now! Like WOW did not expect that!

Thank you SO much for reading and please subscribe + leave feedback :)