One Year

The Way They Were

DISCLAIMER: If any information about the training process is incorrect I apologize, but this is just from my imagination.

“Oh, hurry, time is running out.”

 

    Iseul was frustrated, to say the least. She smashed her face into her pillow, also known as Jimin’s chest. “Jimin,” she said.

    Her boyfriend stopped staring at the few strands of her jet black hair that he had lifted in front of his face only to look down at a head full of her black hair, melting in with the black of his t-shirt. “Yeah?”

    “What are we going to do about them?”

    Iseul could feel Jimin’s chest rise under her cheek as he took a breath to talk. “Iseul, we can’t force them to talk to each other.”

    “You don’t know that!”

    “We locked them in a freaking apartment for five hours and when we walked back in Rin was sleeping and Jungkook was listening to music. I don’t think that will work.”

    Jimin watched Iseul fold her hands under her chin. “I hope he makes it in time,” she said.

    He propped himself up on his elbows, causing her to roll off, unceremoniously falling on her back onto the mattress. “What do you mean?” he asked.

    She glared at him through her hair. “I mean that Rin has a rule that she lives by with her friends -- because she doesn’t make them often, you see. She gives everyone a year.”

    “A year?” Jimin asked, hand raking through his bright orange hair. Iseul momentarily pondered how he could still be so attractive with a pumpkin on his head.

“The first year of friendship is kind of used like warranty or insurance. For example, if I just bought a new phone, then dropped it the day after and shattered the screen, I could replace the phone or the screen without paying much. The first year of friendship is the time when Rin is willing to forgive almost anything her friends do with only a bit of revenge. Jungkook’s year is only two months away from ending, though, and if he misses it there isn’t a big chance she’ll forgive him,” Iseul explained. Jimin took out his phone. “What are you doing?” she asked.

Ruffling her hair, Jimin scolded, “Yah, you nosy girl. If you must know, I’m texting Jungkook. His year’s almost up.” Iseul nodded.

“You know, I’ve always had a question.” Jimin looked at her curiously, motioning for her to continue. “What made you want to put a pumpkin on your head?” she asked, leaning closer to inspect his hair.

Jimin used his left hand that wasn’t holding his phone to push her head away lightly. “I don’t know why I like you, Kang Iseul.”

“I don’t know either, to be honest.”

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    Jungkook was at the BigHit cafeteria, carefully carrying his lunch tray to the closest empty table. He wasn’t antisocial, but being already debuted would cause trouble with jealous trainees who either just wanted to share the fame or wanted to brag about meeting him. All this insincerity made Jungkook rather cynical and untrusting of his coworkers. Needless to say, he was not the same boy who had sat down in front of a random girl who he had indirectly gotten soaked by a water balloon, even being daring enough to take a bite of her apple.

    That day, he had a lot of food piled onto his tray -- every week, Jungkook had one day where he didn’t have to diet, and gosh did he take advantage of it. There was no way he was wasting any food, so he carried the tray as if it held his future on his way to the table. Buzz. Jungkook flinched at the buzz in his pocket, almost spilling his soup. The satisfying thump of the tray on the table let him take a breath of relief, smiling the bunny smile he was so famous for before sliding his phone out of his pocket. A couple girls who were staring at him blushed at what they called his “adorable-ness” while the more serious trainees rolled their eyes (but they couldn’t deny he wasn’t attractive).

    Kookie, you only have two months to be friends with Rin again, it read. Jungkook was very confused. Sure, Jimin had always been rather random, but this was strange, even for him. Jimin, on the other hand, was worried for the younger boy; They had always been as close as brothers, and he didn’t want Jungkook to regret anything. Jungkook rolled his eyes and put the phone back in his pocket.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    Three months later, Rin received an invitation in the mail to a one-year anniversary debut party for the group. She pulled out her phone and opened a new text to Jimin: Congrats Chimchim~   Almost immediately, he replied with, stop calling me that! She chuckled and made her way out of the apartment, her heels clicking on her hardwood floors. Turning around to close the door behind her, she made sure to lock it (after all, she didn’t need some other random guy barging in again).

    As she pulled up to the venue, she groaned. Of course. They were always so extra. A whole entire back of a restaurant was rented out and when she walked in it was only the boys, their managers, and Iseul. “Really, guys? Did you need to rent this restaurant?”

    Jin hurried forward and pulled her towards the snacks table. “Yes, Princess Peach,” he replied. Seeing that she had beat Jungkook on his favorite course (Yoshi Falls) as Peach, Jin decided to make it her nickname.

    “What’s up with the sour face, Rin? Not feeling so… peachy?” Jimin snickered. His eyes widened before he ducked quickly, avoiding her fist.

    “Shush, will you,” she said.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    Of course. Two hours into the party, everyone was basically drunk. Rin, however, sat at a table, acting like the sober mother hen. Jin and Hoseok were eating their hearts out, Namjoon was dancing (and that was a joy to watch), Jimin and Taehyung were taking selfies, Yoongi was sleeping, and Jungkook… what was Jungkook doing? She scanned the room and saw him sitting at another small table and chatting with Iseul

    Jungkook felt eyes on him. As a popular idol, he had gotten good at noticing when there were people staring. Cameras, fans, the staff keeping track of him… there were always so many eyes. But he was at a party -- a private party. Who had the time to be watching him? He looked up and locked eyes with Rin. She raised her eyebrows at his expression and turned back to keeping watch over his band members.

    “You don’t have to keep talking to me, you know,” Iseul said, “I actually should go watch over Jimin before he does something stupid like reveal his social media or something.” Jungkook just looked at her. “Go talk to her, kid.”

    “Don’t call me that; I’m like the same age!”

    “If you’re going to act like a kid then I’m calling you a kid.”

He stood up and walked over to Rin, pulling out the chair next to her and sitting down. “Hey, Rin.”

“What.”

“Wow. Fine,” he said, taken aback.

“Sorry. Oh hello, Jungkook, how are you this lovely evening?” she shot back, sarcasm laced through her voice.

He didn’t say much for a little bit. “Why are you so mean to me?” he asked.

She shrugged, saying, “Your year was up. One month late, actually.”

He didn’t know that text was serious.

 


 

AN: Sorry if this chapter is bad!!!!! The chorus is kind of hard for me to write because I don’t want to make it super cliche like they meet and then all of a sudden they’re in love (which isn’t bad!!)

26 subscribers -- I’m so thankful.

Also, I notice that no one is interested in a harry potter au (which is fine), so I won’t be writing one, I guess. If anyone wants one in the future, just let me know and I might just do it!

Thank you for reading and please subscribe and leave some feedback!


- aperfectworld