Fei Kim

The Way They Were

“When she says she needs you

Tell her you need her too

You tell her clearly

Speak what your heart wants you to”

 

    Jungkook stared at the small child on his couch. Taehyung, the smiling trouble-maker, had left his niece at the apartment before escaping, leaving her with Jungkook, Jimin, and Yoongi, three boys who had no idea whatsoever how to care for a child (and the last two were hiding in their respective rooms -- so not helping at all).

    Fei Kim was a bored six year old with no idea what to do. She played with the braids laying on her shoulders as she stared back at the strange man standing in front of her and giggled when she realized he looked just as clueless as she did.

    She’s laughing; oh my god what do I do, what do I do? Jungkook thought to himself as his eyes widened in fear and confusion. He slowly started moving away from Fei. Keeping his eyes intently trained on her, he backed five steps to the kitchen before turning and bolting to the phone on the kitchen counter. He could still hear Fei giggling.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    Rin decided that the person on the phone was calling her at an ungodly hour. She had fallen asleep at around four in the morning the night before, so she was still dead to the world at noon. But the phone never stopped ringing. Groaning loudly, she tossed the blankets off of her body and rolled out of bed. The floor was cold beneath her feet, and Rin shivered and cursed the person on the phone to oblivion once more as she trudged down her hallway into the living room. At this point, she had to question her own tactics of putting the phone outside the safety of her room in order to force herself to leave aforementioned room. Not going to lie. I’m smart, she thought to herself.

    Checking the caller id, she screwed in an expression of frustration. She picked up the receiver and took a deep breath before calming saying, “Jungkook, I swear if this isn’t good…,” she trailed of.

    “Oh, thank god you’re home; can you come over?” he said, sounding in a rush.

    Rin heard a giggle in the background. “If you have a girl over I don’t think I need to meet her right now -- maybe after some more sleep?”

    Jungkook tried as hard as he could to convey rolling his eyes over the phone. “She’s six, her name is Fei, and Jimin and Yoongi and I are clueless on how to take care of her.”

    “ for you. I’m going to need you to hang up. Night,” she said, ready to hang up.

    “NO! Come onnnnnn, Rin! I need you to help me, please!” he begged.

    She sighed heavily. This kid would be the end of her (Jungkook, not Fei). “Fine. Give me a second to not look dead, though,” she relented.

    “YOU’RE THE BEST!” he yelled, “THANK YOU SO-”

    She hung up.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    Jungkook and Jimin were watching in amazement as Rin and Iseul (who was recruited soon after Jungkook called Rin) sat on the couch, chatting with Fei as if it was the most natural thing in the world. The two boys were peeking out of the hallway, hiding from Fei and a tired (but hiding it well) Rin. Jungkook craned his head up to look at Jimin.

    “Do you think they take lessons for this?” he asked.

    Jimin looked down, his orange hair flopping into his eyes. “I think they’re born with it,” he replied stoically. Jungkook nodded solemnly and the two looked back out at Jungkook’s living room where Rin and Iseul were rebraiding Fei’s hair.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

    “I think you’re a goddess,” Jungkook said to Rin. She was spread-eagle flopped down on his couch with his arm pulled over her eyes.

    “I know you do,” she replied. Oh. Cue Jungkook’s panic. Feeling his elbow lock in the instinct to pull his arm away from her, she frowned and sat up, rolling her eyes at his behavior. “What?” she asked.

    “What do you mean, ‘I know you do,’” he asked tentatively.

    “Oh, I thought there was actually something wrong,” she said before relaxing back onto the couch. His arm had lost its tension and she dragged it over her eyes to shield the light again. “You’re not good at being discreet, you know.”

    It was silent for a long time. “When?”

    “I’m going to need a little more description, Jungkook.”

    “Since when did you know?”

    “Since the same time you did, I suppose,” she replied easily. The memory was quite easy for Jungkook to find. After all, it isn’t everyday someone falls in love with a good friend. Or maybe it was everyday; it happened in all the books and movies, didn’t it? Now that Jungkook thought about it, it made more sense to do so. Falling in love was no small feat, and logically it would make more sense to love someone you already knew rather than a random stranger.

    “You were awake?” he asked.

    “Yep,” she said. Considering the fact that she wasn’t up and running in embarrassment (not that Rin would ever do that, ever) and the fact that he hadn’t fainted from mortification (which he would totally do), both parties felt like this situation was heading in a good direction.

    “So… are you disgusted?” he said timidly.

    “No, of course not,” she said. Rin couldn’t imagine how thick Jungkook would be to not catch what she was insinuating by not flat out rejecting him like she would have if he was, for example, Jimin.

    So, rolling her eyes, she grabbed the arm lying now awkwardly across her eyes and pulled gently, sitting up and putting it around her waist as she pulled the naive boy into a hug (despite the height difference). He relaxed immediately, letting his chin rest on her shoulder, completely comfortable despite the half twisted position he had assumed in order to stay on the couch. As he rocked them back and forth in silence, his arms still wrapped tightly around her, Rin decided that their feelings had never been clearer.

 


 

AN:

Hey guys! 34 of you I feel so blessed :) I hope you liked this chapter!! Seeing how the next chapter is most likely going to be the last one (unless anyone wants an epilogue? No sequel though, sorry), I decided that it was about time to let them fall in love and all that :D

 

Thank you to everyone who has subscribed and commented (and even the two upvotes!!)! It really means so much to me and I’m glad I didn’t stop this story. <3

ALSO, Agust D!!!! I’m so proud of Suga (idk -- I use all of their real names in the story bc I feel like it’s more realistic, but I don’t think I’m exactly entitled to call them by their real names outside of the story; I don’t feel comfortable calling him “Yoongi” bc I’m not actually his friend or anything -- side note: bro I want to be his friend). I can’t even imagine how difficult it was to talk about his more personal life to millions of people all at once, but I’m glad he did.

--aperfectworld