The Cost of Living

Songs of the Abyss

Chapter 7 – The Cost of Living  

 

WARNING: UNEDITED, PLEASE EXCUSE THE MISTAKES. THERE'S PROBABLY A LOT

 

Baekhyun did not know how long he had been asleep, nor did he know how long he had spent lying on his own bed staring at the ceiling. His bed, it had a nice ring to it, a singular object that was solely his, if it were a normal day in Everdale, he would have been ecstatic, beaming, however, he wasn’t in Everdale, he was in Sanctuary. In Sanctuary, it felt a bit empty, a bit cold.

Baekhyun was too preoccupied with himself that he did not hear the soft knock on the door. He’s still looking at the ceiling when there is another three short rasps on the heavy wood. Still thinking, still brooding, Baekhyun does not hear the soft calls of his name from the other side, nor the swinging of the door.

So he was fairly shocked when his vision of the ceiling is replaced by a cheery looking Chanyeol. So surprised that he screams and finds himself on the floor and not on the bed, face on the floor, unnatural grunts escaping his lips. Chanyeol, surprised, shuffles quickly to help Baekhyun from his place on the floor.

Once Chanyeol had pried Baekhyun from the cold floor and placed him back on his bed, did the taller boy start giggling at Baekhyun.

“Would it kill you to knock?” Baekhyun groans, folding his arms as Chanyeol continues his giggles.

“I did, numerous times, even called your name.” Chanyeol responds teasingly, “What are you doing anyway, breakfast is being served already, brought you some robes.”

Baekhyun flushes a bit in embarrassment, “N-nothing, just thinking.”

“Well, today you’ll stop thinking and start training.” Chanyeol smiles.

“W-wait, what?” Baekhyun suddenly blurts, eyes wide and staring.

“Well, there’s you’re going to get better at controlling your power without training, right?” Chanyeol asks, teasingly, now walking to the door.

“I’ve laid out some robes for you, better get dressed, then we’re heading for breakfast.” Chanyeol chirps before heading out the door, leaving Baekhyun confused and quite flustered. Against his better judgment, he strips and puts on the new robes that Chanyeol had provided him. They were similar to those of Valeria, but colored light green. He then proceeded to move out of the room to be greeted by a smiling Chanyeol.

“I’m bored.” Kai whines to Kyungsoo, who had just arrived after grabbing a plate of food for Kai from the mess hall.

“Eat.”

“Snippy.” Kai smirks while taking the tray of food and placing it on his lap, gazing cautiously at the plate of food he had before him.

“Um, uh, Kyungsoo, no offense, but what is this?” he asked as he pried what looked like a mound of baked leaves on his plate. Green and uncannily slimy.

“It’s steamed Blackroot wrapped in Juniper leaves. It’s really good for you.”

“Again, no offense, but is this supposed to be eaten by humans?” Kai asks once more, now a bit more afraid of the plate of food before him.

“It’s specially made for you. Valera says it helps regulate your energy flow, so you’d better eat it, it’s her favorite.” Kyungsoo says smiling.

Kai responds with a forced one, a smile that doesn’t even attempt to be sincere. He looks at his plate, the juices of the steaming liquid and the leaves oozing profusely out of the mound.

Kai apprehensively took his fork and prodded the leaf wrap, once the fork touched the dark sheets of leaf, it releases a hefty amount of steam with a rather pungent aroma. Kai scrunches his face at the fumes before taking a tentative taste of the leaf and root wrap. He takes a bite, and what comes is a sensory overload that he had never thought he would ever feel. The root was unnaturally sharp and tart, expelling a very sour aftertaste and the leaves tasted bitter and bland. Kai could only thank the gods that he was only treated one of earth’s most deadly monstrosities.

“It tastes fantastic.” Kai says behind gritted teeth, the Juniper leaves sticking grotesquely on his teeth.

“I bet.” Kyunsoo says smiling. “After you eat your breakfast, I’m bringing you back to the War room, Valera wants to meet with us before you get your tests.”

Kai just grumbles as he continues attempting to finish whatever was served to him. Kyungsoo smirking proudly in the sidelines.

Bakehyun and Chanyeol enter the war room to be greeted by a very sickly looking Kai, and a very smug looking Kyungsoo.  Baekhyun immediately moves to Kai, patting his back and inquiring what was wrong with him. Chanyeol taking a seat next to Kyungsoo.

“I ate breakfast.” Kai groans.

“Did you eat something bad? Maybe you ate spoilt fruit?” Baekhyun asks worriedly.

Kai just grumbles in frustration. On the other side, Chanyeol was laughing manically to himself, accompanied by a smirking Kyungsoo.

“Why are you guys laughing?” Baekhyun inquires.

“This is rich coming from you Kyungsoo, I’m so proud.” Chanyeol all but cackles.

Baekhyun looks over, “What did you do to him?”

“He’s on a special diet. Valera asked me to get him the best meals for his energy flow, so I gave him the very best.”

Just then the doors opened from it a beaming Jongdae. He looks at the company and gives a furtive look.

“Chanyeol, what did you do?” he asks approaching the very sickly looking Kai.

He responds with a veritable scoff, “As flattered as I am, this is all the work of our dearest Kyungsoo.”

Jongdae’s eyes bulge as he stares at his friend with a mixture of admiration and fear, “What did you do?” he asks quietly, his eyes prodding, his smirk begging.

“Steamed blackroot wrapped in Juniper leaves.” Kyungsoo says quietly.

“You savage.” Jongdae exclaims. He now directs his attention to Kai with a look of concern, “Whatever did you do to anger our little Kyungsoo?”

Kai just groans from his position on the table.

“What did you make him eat, Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun asks his eyes curious.

“Blackroot and juniper leaves, it’s really good for the body, especially when regulating energy flow, but it tastes really acrid.” Kyungsoo says a smirk playing quietly on his lips.

Baekhyun nods, patting Kai comfortingly on the back, getting another groan from the boy.

“By the way, what’s got you all chipper this morning?” Chanyeol goads the hunter, his eyes finally leaving the amusing mound that was Kai.

“Amber finished Gertrude’s armor, she’ll be battle ready in no time.” Jongdae beams, looking absolutely content.

“Of course it’s going to be about that giant flying chicken, it always is.” Chanyeol huffs his gaze once again trained on the unmoving lump.

“Whatever, Gertrude’s the most beautiful creature on this earth, there’s nothing that can beat her.” Jongdae pouts rather childishly not looking at Chanyeol. Baekhyun giggles at the exchange, when the doors open from it coming Valera and Yoona.

She gives them all a warm smile until she settles on looking at Kai’s slumped figure.

“My dear, what has happened to you? You look like your soul has been eaten by a giant beholder.” She coos concerned. Kyungsoo could only bow his head to still the laughter threatening to escape his lips.

Kai mumbles a, “B-blackroot and juniper.” Valera just gives him a reassuring smile before looking over at Kyungsoo, “Dear, did you remember to give him a spot of that passion fruit jelly to take away the bitterness.”

Kyungsoo looked at her innocently, “Oh, it must have slipped my mind.”

 For the first time that day, Kai tilted his head towards the boy, eyes shaped into slits as he glared holes into the other boy’s head.

“Oh dear, that’s why he’s so out of it. Even I despise that horrendous excuse of a meal,” Valera sighs, while patting Kai’s back reassuringly. She is surprised at the speed Kai’s head snaps up at her, “It’s not your favorite?” he asks.

Valera gives him an amused look, “Oh heavens, no. Absolutely despise it. However, it is very healthy and can battle a number of bacteria, some sacrifices have to be made for one’s well-being.” She explains.

Kai could only gape.

“Close your mouth Kai, we wouldn’t want you to get lockjaw too.” Kyungsoo coos rather exaggeratedly closing Kai’s mouth, eliciting a groan from the taller boy. The rest of the table were in fits of laughter at this point, trying their best to keep their giggles to a minimum. Even Yoona was sporting a wry smile.

“Anyway, there are a lot of things that have to be discussed, primarily what you will be doing during your stay in Sanctuary.”

This piqued the interest of everyone in the table, their heads peering intently at Valera now, as her tone changed abruptly.

“As you’ve discovered, there have been strange movement not just in the Great Woods, but also in different areas, from the Cennel Wastelands to the Winter’s Foot. And as all you know, these movements were no coincidence.”

Baekhyun gulped, his gaze moving from Valera to the table.

“It began when Baekhyun’s powers manifested. This was no coincidence, when Baekhyun’s powers manifested, there was a shift in the world, a marker, a beginning.”

“On that day, the remnants of the war that had begun so many years ago resurfaced. The creatures of the shadows have come back.  And as you’ve seen, they are hell bent on stopping you before you even begin. The orb that you found was no ordinary artifact, it dates thousands of years back to the time of the war of the gods and demons. It seems that these creatures have passed down these types of artifacts for generations. They’ve been waiting.” This causes a palpable silence invade the room.  The air was tense as the information settled among the four. It seemed that for a moment, the world felt heavier. It seemed, for a moment, the sun was just a bit duller. It slowly dawned on the five the extent of their task, they were fighting an enemy as powerful as the gods. It was overwhelming.

“This only means that we must move faster, that we must make contact with the others faster. Which leads us to what we are to discuss today.” Valera now looks at Baekhyun and Kai, her eyes steely and serious.

“It is imperative that you begin honing your powers, you will be training under our masters in the art of combat and energy control. You will be assisted by Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Jongdae during this time.” Baekhyun feel his hands shake, and his heart beat faster. He didn’t know how to react, he didn’t know what to say.

“It will also be your duty to gather the rest of The 12. Yoona and her team are gathering information as quickly as possible. We’ll then send you to gather them.” Valera pauses, her figure still, her eyes reluctant, “The end is nearing, The 12 will soon rise again,” she pauses, “There is no way we can avoid it, a war is coming.”

There’s a tension across the room, the three who have lived their lives within the Sanctuary knew this was coming, they knew what their roles were, however; it did not make the realization any less gaunt than it was. There was nothing as fearing as war, especially if you would be the one leading it

Kai was the first one to speak, “Well, then let’s do it.” His voice was simple, unwavering,

Baekhyun is slightly aghast at the revelation, “Why are you so calm?” he asks, “This isn’t some measly heist, Kai, she told us that we’re heading into war.” Baekhyun snaps.

Kai gives Baekhyun a look, “I know that, but I also know that it’s going to happen whatever we do, we can’t escape it. There’s no point in being afraid of it, better be prepared than be in denial.” Kai says, he didn’t mean for it to be a jab at Baekhyun, he didn’t mean for it to sting, but it did. It stung hard.

Baekhyun’s face deflates as he looks at his hands, his gloved hands.

Coward

On the other end of the table, Chanyeol is debating smacking Kai upside of the head, but he couldn’t, because as much as it hurt Baekhyun, it was the truth. A really, really, heavy truth.

“Baekhyun, I think what Kai means is that it’s better to prepare sooner rather than later. It’s okay to be afraid, because even I am afraid.” He says his voice sincere, looking at Baekhyun.

“It’s okay to be afraid, but we can’t let it consume us, we can’t let it beat us.”

Baekhyun nods, because he understands. But he cannot feel smaller than he already did. He cannot help but feel lackluster. He could not help but feel useless.

“I know that it is quite a revelation; to be given this duty. But that is the world that we live in, there are things that are out of our control, because honestly, most of the time none of us know where we are going.”

The room is silent, gaunt—breathless.

“We wander, not knowing where to go, not knowing how to cope, but then we realize that it is not only us in the darkness, and that makes all the difference. That’s what makes The 12 so powerful, and that is what will compel you to grow, to fight. You all are never alone, learn to love each other. Look out for each other. We’ll soon make sense of everything.”

There is a pregnant pause as everyone looks solemnly at each other. It was silent, but it was felt. It was understood, they were there for each other.

“For your training regimen, Baekhyun will begin his physical training first, because as we’ve seen, your powers are quite potent and somewhat volatile. You’ll have to train your body to before beginning any energy manipulation. Chanyeol and Jongdae will go with you.” She says to Baekhyun who nods feebly.

“Kai, Taekwoon will be conducting tests on you, after which Kyungsoo will bring you to the temple, there you’ll be doing some energy training.” Kai nods, Valera than looks at him, “Why don’t you have a wheelchair, didn’t Taekwoon provide you with one?”

Kai smirks, “Yes, but Kyungsoo has volunteered to be the one to transport me everywhere, he promised”

Valera just looks at the two weirdly before speaking, “Okay, everyone is dismissed.” The five quietly exit the room, leaving the war room occupied by the two druids.

Valera, finally seeing that she was alone with her apprentice lets out a sigh.

“Have you sent a letter to the Krags?” she asks, voice heavy.

Yoona nods, “Directly to the king.”

“From what you heard, how bad was it?”

“The situation had only began escalating, as far as we know the Krags still has everything under control, but for how long, we don’t know.”

“But we cannot ignore their situation, that man takes his duty to extremes, just like his son.” Valera sighs massaging her temple.

“Yes, that’s why people respect them so much.” Yoona provides, a small smile gracing both their face.

Valera could only nod and agree. She knew how their dedication to their duty had brought them such acclaim, but it also meant that they did not know when they were fighting a losing battle, it meant that retreat was never fully incorporated into their dictionary, because retreat was synonymous to turning back on your duty.

“Truly, and it might also be the reason they end up dead.”

 

Baekhyun was not prepared for this, not prepared at all. It had only been a few days into his training, and he felt like his life energies were slowly dwindling into a pile of nothing. Baekhyun would not consider himself out of shape, per se, but with his training regimen, it felt like he had never moved a day of his life till then. His trainers were nice, though quite peculiar, Donghae and Hyukjae were quite an interesting duo. Hyukjae being quite direct and quite severe with his tasks, and Donghae a bit fumbling and somewhat slow on the uptake, only ever voicing his fears after Hyukjae had thoroughly organized his exercises for the day. Chanyeol and Jongdae, his designated assistants, somewhat used to the duo, and had instructed Baekhyun to listen to Hyukjae’s broad instructions before waiting for Donghae to interrupt in an untimely fashion. Once the two had squabbled and  screamed at each other, that  was when Baekhyun would listen.

And, even after Donghae’s intervention, his training was intense. That is why Baekhyun was panting halfway up climbing a very, very old tree. He was tasked to climb the tree that stood at about a hundred feet off the ground. He was wearing a very uncomfortable harness and his two assistants were hovering him. One of them, literally hovering over him. Jongdae electing to watch atop Gertrude, claiming that he’ll be there to catch Baekhyun if he fell. Thankfully, his other companion chose to actually do the exercise with him. However, Chanyeol was used to this tree, called it boring even. So he was on top of the tree, looking down at Baekhyun who was torn between letting go and crying.

“Baekhyun, you can do it, just a little bit more!” Chanyeol screeched from his perch, his eyes gleaming with excitement as he saw his charge sluggishly climb the old wood.

Baekhyun wanted to thank him, but sadly all his effort went into breathing. He groaned as he slowly made his way up the bark, his hands and legs aching at the effort.

“You can do it, Baek! Gertrude and I believe in you!”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at Jongdae, he spent too much time with his oversized chicken.

Thankfully, Baekhyun did not want to be saved by Jongdae and his stupid bird. It was extremely slow, but thankfully he was able to climb the tree, albeit begrudgingly.

Chanyeol was there to heave him up, releasing him from his harness, before helping him maneuver through the various branches until they reached a firm branch that gave them a really good view of Sanctuary.

Baekhyun was still in awe of the beauty and vibrance of Sanctuary. Filled with lush, rolling hills, clear streams and vast gardens, all converging within the center. He could spot the different wooden buildings from where he sat. The armory, the dueling pit, the aviary, the stables and the little group of wooden huts for the members of Gaia’s hand. It was a grand sight, one that had always taken Baekhyun’s breath away.

“Even though I’ve living here for so long, the sight of Sanctuary never fails to amaze me.” Chanyeol murmurs from his side, his eyes wide and bright, the huge irises reflecting the brilliant gleam that Sanctuary was emanating.

“Could say the same thing myself.” Baekhyun hears from behind. There’s a creak and ruffling of feathers as Gertrude and Jongdae settle on a higher branch above him and Chanyeol.

Baekhyun glanced at Jongdae and his eyes almost buldged out too fast. Gertrude had clung onto a sturdy branch a few feet from the pair, but Jongdae wanted to join the two, so he had elected to climb down to the two. Instead of traversing through larger branches of the old wood, Jongdae had elected to seemingly claw his way down the tree, through the most precarious positions the man could do. However, Jongdae was quite adept at this type of acrobatics and had serenely dropped down beside Baekhyun.

“Baek, I know I’m a breathtaking sight, but you’re ogling bothers me.” Jongdae quips plopping himself beside Baekhyun.

Baekhyun merely scoffed, playfully shoving the hunter.

“Don’t flatter yourself too much. Delusional doesn’t look good on you.” Jongdae snickers in response.

The three of them had become quite close during after just a few days. He realized under their battle bound exterior, the two men were close to Baekhyun in age. The two were quite boisterous when together, both joking with each other and constantly messing with Hyukjae and Donghae. Jongdae was the tamer one, possessing, albeit only slightly, boundaries with how he messed with everyone. However, Jongdae also had his bouts of reclusiveness, moments where he did not feel like dealing with anyone, moments when he wanted to be alone. He usually sought refuge on the back of Gertrude on a morning flight around the grounds, or conversely, a night hunt with his eagle. If Baekhyun could readily describe Jongdae it was balanced.

Among the three, Jongdae was a balance of Kyungsoo stern, militaristic upbringing and Chanyeols liberal childhood. It seems living with the druids for so long had imparted upon him a sense of serenity in solitude. He was both loud and boisterous, as well as silent and contemplative.

On the other hand, Chanyeol was well, fire. He was bright, alive, and livid. He was a constant ball of energy. While Jongdae was balanced, Chanyeol was just always happy, always filled with this sense untamed brightness. Bounding and trialing like a perpetually lit firecracker. Always a wave of sound and fury. But he also noticed that beyond that unblemished happiness is a warmth, slow and inviting warmth that takes you in. Chanyeol was fire in the winter, quiet, crackling, and tempting. And ever since the moment Chanyeol saved Baekhyun in the forest Baekhyun invited it. Because sometimes he shivered in the night. Because he was not balanced like Jongdae, or spritely like Chanyeol. He still feared solitude and still could not readily display a smile that was genuine.

“Baek, you’re contemplating again.” Chanyeol says from his right. Baekhyun doesn’t notice that he had been staring at nothing for about five minutes already, too engrossed in his own reverie.

“Sorry” Baekhyun murmurs.

“You don’t have to apologize, just don’t do it as much as Kyungsoo. I swear that guy broods even when he sleeps.” Jongdae says with a giggle. Baekhyun laughs with him.

“Actually, Kyungsoo’s been brooding more often recently. And when he isn’t brooding he’s stuck on Kai either scolding him or being ordered to be taken around.”

“Maybe it’s because Kai’s been getting heavier from just eating all the time.”  Jongdae suggests, looking over the giggling Baekhyun.

“Please, Kai has to eating literal boulders before Kyungsoo can start complaining.” Chanyeol retorts, Jongdae nodding in defeat.

“But seriously, Kyungsoo’s been kind of, how do you say this, dower?” Chanyeol says, his face scrunching in contemplation.

“I know what you mean,” Jongdae says his voice going a bit a somber as well.

The brilliant sunlight somehow didn’t seem so brilliant as he looked at the faces of the two beside him.

“Do you think it has something to do with what Valera said, I’m assuming he’ll be the one taking the leadership position.” Baekhyun suggests, voice attempting to fill the silence that had settled between the two.

“I don’t think so, Kyungsoo is always duty bound. He wouldn’t—” Then suddenly Chanyeol’s eyes widen, his expression turning into one of realization.

“Of course, that’s what it should be.” Chanyeol exclaims to himself.

This gets the attention of Baekhyun and Jongdae, who now look over at Chanyeol with expectant, curious faces.

“What is it?” Jongdae asks.

“Kyungsoo is driven by duty, he carries it out without question. That’s why he’s the perfect leader, he gets things done and doesn’t back down. He thinks quietly, the goal always on his mind. Kyungsoo’s always duty bound.”

“Thank you for your eloquent description of Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, but what’s your point.” Jongdae impatiently retorts.

“He’s done something, or maybe not done something that has compromised a duty he was tasked to carry out.” Chanyeol says, and it hits Jongdae quite fiercely as he mimics the fire-user’s reaction upon his realization.

“But what is—”

The rest of Chanyeol’s statement is caught in his throat as loud guttural sound reverberated throughout Sanctuary. The three boys quickly see the ruffling of the illusionary forest before them, the black wood convulsing and wrenching on contact, the olden wood opening.

“No one’s left Sanctuary.” Jongdae blurts out suddenly, “Yoona and her troop are set to leave tomorrow.”

“Dae, can Gertrude carry the three of us?” Chanyeol asks, his gaze not leaving the groaning wood.

“If it’s the journey’s that short, she can manage.” Jongdae says, quickly ascending the bramble, his movement faster, more urgent. He reaches Gertrude’s perch and is quicly mounting the bird. Within seconds the bird was in front of Baekhyun and Chanyeol, with quick movements the three ride the bird, quickly heading into the opening.

“Has this never happened before?” Baekhyun screams, their descent fairly quick.

“No, never.” Chanyeol screams in response, his voice is stern, urgent. They reach the opening quickly, the three heading into the place all of them entered Sanctuary. Chanyeol and Jongdae prepare their weapons. Swords unsheathed, bow and arrow poised and ready.

The groaning had not stopped, but now the arc was forming, the woods almost crackling as it moved to create an entryway to the sacred ground. Then, finally, the woods form the arc, wood interlinking crudely with each other.

Then there are footsteps, slow, tranquil.

There is tension in Baekhyun’s shoulders as he instinctually lifts his fists. He feels the tension with his two companions, their faces battle ready. He had never actually seen them fight, but according to Kai, they were highly skilled, of the highest caliber.

The steps come closer, the sound of the rustling grass getting louder with each step.

Then they hear it, it’s faint, calming even. A tune on a lyre. Sweet chords bleeding into the edgy scene. Baekhyun doesn’t know why, but his muscles suddenly ease up, his face growing soft at the sound of the music dancing through his ears.

Then, they see the figure, it’s tall and lithe, it’s posture serene as it made its way towards them. After what felt like decades, they see the man, he has soft raven hair adorning his head, his face is soft, and relaxed. His eyes are soft and tender as they look at the site. There are distinct dimples punctuating his very warm smile.

He, for all intents and purposes, did not look evil.

The man stops as he surveys the three presented to him. He gives them a smile.

“Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and…. I want to say Jongdae, but you could also be Kyungsoo, hmm.”

The man starts to hum uninterrupted as the three people right in front of him were quite stuck in absolute shock. The mysterious man had just walked into Sanctuary like it was nothing and had suddenly blurted out their names, well almost all of them, he was still contemplating on the identity of the hunter.

“Ah, an eagle, you must be Jongdae, then.” He says rather happily, “Now, bring down your weapons, cause I’m so tired and I have to go see Kai.” He chirps, walking straight to the path leading towards the great tree.

Chanyeol finally finds his bearing and grabs the man by the arm. The intruder twists around and looks at Chanyeol with a questioning glance.

“Who are you?” was the only question he could come up at the moment.

The man gives him a wry smile, “Well, I am the great wandering minstrel, Lay. Singer, poet, journeyman, actor, composer, and, as of late, plant whisperer,” he singsongs with utter glee.

“Plant whisperer?” Baekhyun blurts out confusedly, peering at the man still extremely perplexed.

“Oh, do you not know I was coming, I would have thought that large hunk of wood would have told you.”

“Large chunk of wood? Goodness, can you stop talking like a madman, you don’t make any sense.” This comes from a very confused, very mused Jongdae,  whose patience and sanity were being severely tested by the Lay.

Realization had dawned on Lay, “Oh, none of you know that I was coming.” There is a immediate chorus of yeses from the three.

“Well, to put it simply, I’m one of you. One of the 12.” He smiles, “And I was called here to save Kai, apparently he’s dying.”

 

Author’s Note:

So, Lay’s there, also Kai’s dying. So, yeah. It will make more sense next chapter, I hope.

So, this is unedited. Sorry. I’ve been quite bust lately, hence the lack of updates. Anyway, I found this chapter quite difficult to write, mostly because it’s a filler chapter that’s also not. It’s just really here to establish their positions with each other.

I’m sorry if there are things that are lacking, and the sudden time skip. I hope the next chapters will be better.

I don’t even know if anyone’s still reading this.

If you are, thank you for sticking to it, even though the last few updates have taken so long.

Once again, comments and upvotes give me life.